Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Unlimited Format Help Tablet

helghast101

Rules of the Unlimited Format: there are no rules. Just kidding.

The base rules apply, 4 cards of any type per deck(except basic energies). A deck can be no more and no less than 60 cards. A player may play one energy per turn, and a player may a attack once per turn. If someone is playing pokemon they most likely know the base rules.

There is only 1 banned card in the format and that is Ancient Mew which is only illegal because it has no understandable text.

Which means players can use any card they have, whether it be base set Blastoise(most broken pokemon ever, but I'll get to that later) to the most recent Kindra out of Legends Awakened.

One thing many players notice when playing unlimited is that decks are much faster, this is the case because supporters are rarely used. Why use something like T.V reporter when someone can use Bill? Also there are many more combos due to the much more expansive card pool.

Some Powerful Examples:
Blastoise(base set): as I said before this guy is probably one of the most broken cards in the game, this is because he takes one of the fundamental rules of pokemon and shuts it down, with his pokepower raindance a player can play as many water energies as they want per turn on to their water pokemon. This leads to many powerful combos with pokemon that get more powerful with more energy like: Suicune Ex, Team Aqua's Walrein, Lumineon, and Crawdaunt Ex.

Bill(base set): Everyone that started a while ago, remembers this guy. You play him, draw 2 cards, with no downside. Not super powerful but ran a lot and very useful in most decks.

Slowking(neo genesis): This guy was banned when he was modified legal for a reason, with a simple coin flip he could stop a trainer from being played and put back on top of the opponents deck, not only did it stop them from playing it, it put them behind on drawing especially if it was done a few times, making them draw the same card. It's ability could be played from the bench.

Cleffa(neo): Baby power- flip a coin if heads the opponents attack and effect does nothing, not to bad. But her attack is what really shines, for one energy one could shuffle a hand of one card into their deck then draw a full hand of 7 cards.

Sneasel(genesis): This was one of the other only cards in pokemon ever to be banned. This is because he is a 60 hp basic, with no retreat, and no weakness. His second attack the player flips coins equal to the number of pokemon they have in play, which does 20 damage per heads, which is very powerful for a simple basic.

Lass(base set): With heavy draw, one can ruin an opponents day by playing a card that makes all their trainers so bye-bye.

Now for some good deck types: in no particular order of "tiers":

Raindance: Uses base set blastoise to overpower with water pokemon, very simple to use and extremely powerful.

Vileplume ex: With her poke body block dust your opponent can't play trainer's except for supporters, and her attack once a coin is flipped it either causes asleep and poisoning or confused status ailments.

D Vileplume, Aggron Ex, and Aerodactyl(fossil): Dark vileplume stops all trainers from being played, aggron ex- stops basics from attacking, and Aerodactyl stops pokemon from being evolved. Once all in play, most decks are locked.

Muk(fossil): This deck uses Muk's ability to turn off all other poke powers. Which can ruin many a days.

any more ideas or suggestions are always appreciated to make this a good reliable source for info on the unlimited format.

Last edited:
you know I don't see what is so great about vileplume, kabutops MD is sooooooo much better, any trainer pre-dp can't be played because they all are still technically trainers. Kabutops calso doesn't give the opponent 2 prizes

nice article though

thanks, its true about Kabutops, i don't really understand why vileplume is better, I am just simply showing what i noticed and know to be played...

anyone else?

With Vileplume:
Pokemon (16):
4 Oddish
3 Gloom
4 Plume ex
4 Cleffa(genesis)
1 Magby(genesis)

Trainers (35):
4 Oak
4 Comp Search
4 Item Finder
4 Bill
4 Erika
4 Rare Candy
3 Imposter Oak's Revenge
4 Energy Removal
4 Gust of Wind

Energy (9):
4 DCE
5 Grass

With Kabutops:
Pokemon (16):
4 Dome Fossil
3 Kabuto
4 Kanutops (md)
4 Cleffa(genesis)
1 Magby(genesis)

Trainers (35):
4 Oak
4 Comp Search
4 Item Finder
4 Bill
4 Erika
4 Rare Candy
3 Imposter Oak's Revenge
4 Energy Removal
4 Gust of Wind

Energy (9):
9 Ground

hmmm..... found a list on some site for the vileplume ex deck, and changed it to fit kabutops, of course I don't know what IOR, ER, or GOW are so....

Last edited:
I think you should change the Slowking description so that it's Poke-Power only works when it's active. It was originally like that but they banned it instead of an eratta so that it has to be active to use it.

you know I don't see what is so great about vileplume, kabutops MD is sooooooo much better, any trainer pre-dp can't be played because they all are still technically trainers. Kabutops calso doesn't give the opponent 2 prizes

Wrong afaik, pre DP Trainers also got separated, otherwise Butobs would stop celio and copycat too, right ?

but adding to the discussion, why is vileplume ex ran over kabutops? and anyone know what those cards are that are abbreviated???

3 Imposter Oak's Revenge
4 Energy Removal
4 Gust of Wind

Energy (9):
9 Ground

hmmm..... found a list on some site for the vileplume ex deck, and changed it to fit kabutops, of course I don't know what IOR, ER, or GOW are so....[/QUOTE]

Assuming this is humor since you just listed them? :tongue:

nah i fixed it l8ter and forgot to take that part out... oh well.

and i figured out why vileplume ex is better, more health, better attacks, faster to set-up(no fossil), and it locks gyms.

I'm interested in whether Weavile could be used with the Neo Sneasel to charge something up like Vileplume ex.

Helghast101's deck here is a great deck but needs Trash Exchange instead of (or as well as) the Celebi ex to keep dropping it/scooping it enough. A friend of mine had success with a similar strategy using Jolteon ex but won without encountering any baby pokémon!!

nah i fixed it l8ter and forgot to take that part out... oh well.

and i figured out why vileplume ex is better, more health, better attacks, faster to set-up(no fossil), and it locks gyms.

One more reason it's better is that it can use DCE (double colorless energy) and a grass energy to attack, which is 2 energy since it has a :grass::colorless:colorless attack cost.

On the other hand we have kabutops, who takes :fighting::fighting::colorless, so it can not use DCE since it won't do anything extra, so that takes 3 energy.

Hope that helps!

For one thing, Kabutops evolves from a Trainer. That right there just kills it in Unlimited. If you use Kabu and you face a Trainer lock deck, the fact that Kabu evolves from a Fossil puts you in a Pokemon lock, too.

Back