Unown K

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by The Leafeon, Aug 14, 2008.

1. The Leafeon

The Leafeon New Member

I have a pair of Unown K from Majestic Dawn, and this has been bugging me.

Unown K's KIND PokePower reads: "Once during your turn(before your attack), you may remove 2 damage counters from 1 of the Defending Pokemon." Does this mean you can remove 20 damage from either Active Pokemon, or only the opponent's Active Pokemon?

2. Brawler

Brawler <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

It says defending, not active. This means the defending pokemon.

And Unown K is from SW, btw...

3. Everwind

Everwind New Member

yea I still trying to understand this card, why in the world would you ever want to heal your opponent's pokemon???? Seriously I don't know what they were smoking when they did this card. I could almost buy something like for every damage counter you remove from your active pokemon you remove 1 from a defending pokemon....but this card is just got to be the worst card ever made from a playing standpoint right next to Starravia...

4. butlerforhire

butlerforhire New Member

The only thing I can see this having use with is Regigigas from Legends Awakened (the one with the Slow Start Body). Healing in that case would be a good thing and would set you up to do 120 (or the magic 130 w/ Buck's/PlusPower).

I actually think that those 2 cards have an interesting synergy. I could see a deck with Electrode, Regigigas and Unown K as something to mess around with. The idea would be to kamikaze enough Electrode so that your opponent has 3 prizes left (you likely will too if it's a true kamikaze you're doing each time) while also powering up Regigigas with their Powers and then unleashing Regigigas to get the last three prizes with Crush Grip easily. The Lv. X for it from IFDS also helps both power it up and unlock its ability to attack with Sacrifice, and it has a nice attack as well as a hefty 150 HP.

This kind of "let your opponent get ahead in prizes" strategy isn't unheard of. Electrode ex, Scramble energy, Pow! Hand Extension and Rocket's Admin. all have seen a ton of use in the past and they all relied on being behind in order to get ahead.

5. Wood811

Wood811 New Member

^ The only problem I see with bombing trode after trode is you will have to attach to the other trodes instead of regigigas and once you bomb 3 trodes, there will be a regi with 2 nrg on it.(Including the nrg drop for that turn.) The only way to help would be nrg patch and/or togekiss, rotom etc.

6. butlerforhire

butlerforhire New Member

The Regigigas level X helps with getting the energy on it as well as activating its ability to attack. When it comes out it'd be a huge addition if this deck even did come into existence.

Rotom would help, yes. In fact I think if I was running this sort of deck I would try to do the following: get a quick Electrode (perhaps even turn 2) to either kamikaze OR just get a KO on some opening basic (if I opened with Voltorb and did 20 first turn and they didn't evolve, 40 from Electrode next turn would likely be a KO). Then, if I was able to get a KO without blowing up or being KOed next turn by my opponent (which is less likely now with no Scramble and a predicted decrease in fighting Pokemon due to all the psychic, grass and water running around), I would then get the benefit of an additional energy drop on my next turn before I needed to worry about actually attacking with the 2nd Electrode. When it came time for that I would put the energy from the KOed Electrode on Regigigas and just attach from my hand to the next Electrode if I did get that earlier energy drop. Then when it went down I would put that energy on Regigigas as well and bring in Rotom, who would get the remaining 2 energy needed for Regigigas from the discard while providing the buffer and 3rd prize for my opponent. Then, Regigigas would be ready to clean up with the possible aid of Unown K if necessary. In some instances the damage on them wouldn't matter, like say after I blew up an Electrode against something with 130 HP. Regigigas's attack would still KO it and then whatever backup they had, which likely would be "fresh" and damageless, would be open to a likely OHKO.

This is all theoretical, but I actually like the idea. It's fun and different if nothing else.

7. ZAKtheGeek

ZAKtheGeek New Member

There's a couple of cards (Breloom?) that say things like, "remove damage counters equal to the amount of damage done to the defending pokemon." So if they have like 10 HP left, you could add 20 to it, KO them anyway, and remove an extra 20 damage from yourself.

Yeah, really obscure, but then, most Unown powers are only useful 3% of the time.

Ooh, here's another idea. You have a spreading attack that damages the defending pokemon, and you have them locked in the active slot somehow (Ariados?). You don't want to KO them, though, so you keep healing them while you spread.

8. Typhlosion King

Typhlosion King New Member

Good k combo: Mightyhena and unown k. Lock in their basic, and keep healing them until they warp point/ you set up.

9. joebrown

joebrown New Member

some cards like the unown have effects that are random but behind the making the pokemon dudes make another card that work well with it (synergy)!

10. Master_Whiscash_77

Master_Whiscash_77 New Member

First of all, Breloom's healing is based on energy attached to the defending pokemon, but even if it was based on damage, you wou,d still get to heal damage in excess of the opponent's HP, because you're still doing that damage, even if it you can't tell becasue you exceed their HP.

11. The Leafeon

The Leafeon New Member

Thanks for the reply. Now I know not to make the mistake of including them in my deck.

I guess K would also have a use if your opponent is using DP Medicham, so its Force Palm attack would be less effective.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Unrelated to K... Don't try my siggy, it's down.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  12. Rogue Archetype

Rogue Archetype Moderator <br> Contest Host

There are cards that come at you with a VENGENCE if they have any damage counters on them.

Best example is Mothim who comes up and does 70 w/ damage.