Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Uses of the "World championships" decks at league

Pokealjovin

Administrator
I know that in tournament, the use of the World Championships decks (or even single cards) are not allowed, but can you use those in League format? I remember reading that you couldn't use them for league, but I've read something different lately.

Basically, if someone arrives with a "World Championship" deck, can they play it? What if only a couple of cards in his/her deck are from the WC deck?

They should be allowed. The only real consideration is that since they have different backs, it would be nice if the player used them with opaque sleeves if they're mixed in with regular cards.

What about proxy cards?

The how to run a league states:

The use of counterfeit cards is strictly prohibited when participating in a Pokémon League. Counterfeit cards are never allowed at Play! Pokémon events. If you find a player using counterfeit cards during a league session, that player is not to receive credit for the games he or she plays while using those cards.
Tip: In many cases, new players won’t even be aware of the fact that their cards are counterfeit. New players should never feel as though they are in trouble for showing up to your league with counterfeit cards. Take the time to explain that counterfeit cards are not allowed in official events, and help them learn how to spot and avoid counterfeit cards in the future.

I get the feeling that home-made proxies should be prohibited, no?

Last edited:
i don't have a problem with players using proxies for playtest purposes...as long as they inform their opponent that they are using proxies (the other player can always decline to play should they wish).

jmho.

yes.

i don't classify proxies as counterfeit cards, which of course i do not allow use of at league. would you disallow games where a player tells another 'the psychic energy are proxies for fairy'?

I was at this point, as it was my understanding that it was Pokemon's Policy, until I read a comment that didn't fit my understanding. I'm new to this thing ;). This is why I was asking, I didn't want to go against PoP's rules, but I've now realized that I was confusing some tournament rules with running a league.

This is very helpful, thanks!

Pokemon gives League Owners a lot of latitude in what they allow at their Leagues.
The one thing they expressly prohibit are counterfeit cards.
And that makes sense, because those are made to steal money from Pokemon, literally.

Proxies don't fall quite into that category. They are more of a temporary thing, as 'mom says, for playtesting. Players know that they are going to have to get the real thing at some point, or they may have the real card in another deck that they don't want to pull apart until they are sure they want to use this deck, etc.

Bottom line, League Owners get to choose what formats they allow at their League and also whether to allow Proxies or not.

World Championship cards are definitely legal, since they are only "not allowed for tournament play" and Leagues are not Tournaments.
Of course, I do insist that decks not be marked, so the player would have to either be playing only with WC cards, or use opaque sleeves.

Back