Using Aqua Recover Poke-Power for Helix Fossil

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by HotRodDad, Jul 5, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. HotRodDad

HotRodDad New Member

In today's match, my son used Gardevoir's Lv.X Bring Down to send my benched Helix Fossil to my discard pile before I had a chance to evolve it to Omastar with a Rare Candy. Next turn I played Suicune to my bench and used Aqua Recover Poke-Power to get back the Helix Fossil and two other water pokemon from my discard pile.

My son told me that I cannot get back the Helix Fossil because it is not considered a water type pokemon.

Question 1. I thought that in the deck a Fossil was a Trainer but once it was on the bench or active is was considered a pokemon. Is this correct?

Question 2. Is Helix Fossil considered a water type and can you use Suicune's Aqua Recover to get it back from the discard pile?

Question 3. Assuming I had evolved Helix Fossil to Omanyte or Rare Candied to Omastar before my son used Bring Down would that make any different on the use of Aqua Recover?

I check for rulings on this but could not find none.

Thanks!

2. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

Helix Fossil is only considered a Pokemon while it is in play. In your hand or the discard pile, which are areas that are not considered "in play", it is a Trainer card. Your son is correct, and it would make no difference what happens to it while it was in play.

BDS