Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What do These Words Mean to You?

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

That people starting/running the government back then were far more intelligent than the idiots running it today. :/

The individual is of greater importance than the collective society.

Well it's this, but it's more. The Founding Fathers saw this importance, and successfully made it both. You can have a powerful government; look at China. But if individuals are more important, no other form of government had been found that did what America did. Most powerful country in the world, and the most freedoms given to the people. (granted, much of our power is waning, and much of our freedoms are being taken away, but the deteriorating state of our government is for a different thread)

May I ask where the top quote is from? Or is that part of the whole thing? Because I can't say that I've heard it before...

May I ask where the top quote is from? Or is that part of the whole thing? Because I can't say that I've heard it before...

I really hope your kidding... I mean, for your own sake, I REALLY hope you're kidding. If not, then that's really kind of sad, as this is one of the most famous quotes in the history of our country.

needs to be read in conjunction with "We the people...." its not all about the individuals supremacy over government.

"all men" is collective.

I really hope your kidding... I mean, for your own sake, I REALLY hope you're kidding. If not, then that's really kind of sad, as this is one of the most famous quotes in the history of our country.

Implying everyone is American.

That said I don't know about AzureKite's nationality, so eh...

And naturally, these words don't say a lot to me, since I'm not American.

Isn't AK also like 14 years old or something?

Either way, it sure helps to shame people for not knowing something! I'm sure that'll encourage him to ask questions and learn more in the future. You sure have done a really great thing by informing him and not just stroking your own ego! Bravo.

He's older than that. And, why on earth should that give him an excuse for not knowing it? I knew the opening sentence (or at least could recognize it) when I was 7.

You really need to cool it man. He's a friend, and I was only kidding around with him. You don't need to start bashing others for what they do, as it's not your place to do so.

My gosh Michael, chill out. I was referring to the TOP paragraph. Not ENTIRE thing. The part before the "we hold these truths to be self evident". I haven't ever taken the time to read the whole Declaration of Independence. I was just curious where the top part of the quote was from. It's not surprising to me that it's from the declaration of Independence. Don't freak out about someone not knowing every part of it. I'm inclined to believe most people on this website couldn't quote the entire thing, or identify every sentence in it if isolated. As you can see, the top paragraph was separated. Obviously the rest of it I recognized. The top part of it is basically a preface. The main paragraph is considered the actual "declaration". But yes, shame on me for not knowing that part. I've never taken a close look at the full text/don't recall it in history class. Of course the rest of it I recognize, just not THAT PART. And dude, honestly, you're just joking around? Doesn't look like it to me. You really need to cool it man. You don't need to start bashing others for what they do, as it's not your place to do so. Wait, where have I heard that before?

But this wasn't even the point of the thread. Back on topic.

THIS is what I hate about modern warfare.
We're a nation founded on revolt, but we find ourselves in an age where technology has made it impossible to stage revolution in any country.
The whole thing with Libya just shows this... before tanks, bombs, and planes, if more than 90% of the people were against the government they could, just by sheer NUMBER, become an unstoppable force that no government could keep down. If this were the 1800's, Gadhafi would have been pulled from power within days with little bloodshed.

We're dealing with a corrupt leader of a country that almost everyone wants to step down, and we have to get 20+ other nations involved in order to do that when such a small percentage is actually fighting the protesters.

To me this is a sign we need to look at what our lives are about now... We've gotten to the point where technology makes it possible for 1 man with a plane to kill thousands just because he is a higher person in society. Modern weaponry turns leaders into gods.

In trying so desperately to spread democracy worldwide, we've also made weapons globally available that destroy the very CORNERSTONE of democracy: majority rules, but now if the minority already has power then the majority can do nothing.

Last edited:
THIS is what I hate about modern warfare.
We're a nation founded on revolt, but we find ourselves in an age where technology has made it impossible to stage revolution in any country.
The whole thing with Libya just shows this... before tanks, bombs, and planes, if more than 90% of the people were against the government they could, just by sheer NUMBER, become an unstoppable force that no government could keep down. If this were the 1800's, Gadhafi would have been pulled from power within days with little bloodshed.

We're dealing with a corrupt leader of a country that almost everyone wants to step down, and we have to get 20+ other nations involved in order to do that when such a small percentage is actually fighting the protesters.

Egypt and Tunesia would like a word for you. While true that revolts have gotten harder to pull off, they still work as long as you can turn the army against the leaders. Getting the army on your side has been an important part to ANY revolution.

.... Getting the army on your side has been an important part to ANY revolution.
or in the case of the american war of independence getting the French on your side. "My enemies enemy is my friend" figures large in politics and warfare both ancient and modern.

If a person does not get the freedom they seek, they rebel/revolt at some cost for that freedom. The word freedom is a restricted use word, with a double edge sacrifice result. Freedom depends on what you are willing to accept and adbide by when it comes to communalative structure.

Example: You are free to choose what time you awake on your day off, but restricted to the demands of your employeer as to what time you should awake on the days you are to report to work.

The above example is a give and take cycle, some freedoms require effort and upkeep in which in return you must "pay into" to recieve other freedoms.

The words mean little to me in the aspect that they are just words entertwined with no solid evidence of the true structure of what is required to be truely free. It is an unobtainable goal to have true freedom in an imperfect world. The idea is great, but to wage war to gain freedom as a form of getting what you want is not a civilized or mature way to handle getting what you want.

2-3 year olds throw a fit when they don't get what they want, why as an adult would one want to revert back to such behavior?

Last edited:
Back