Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil psyduck

Trader Feedback Mod
What are the rules about some one that is playing in a tournament and between rounds goes out to thier car and drinks alcohol? Also what if someone argues with the organizer or the judge and yelling at them? At the South Bend city championships a group of people from chicago caused nothing but problems the whole time they were there. One idiot that i played was drunk from the time he got there. Not everyone from chicago was like that but most of them were. Let me finish by saying if this is not where this subject should be please let me know and move it to the correct place.

If they are drunk you do the following:

"Sir please calm down, find out what is going on and calmy see what the problem is and how it can be solved" If the guy looks drunk and since there are kids prersent and he is casuing problmes tell him:

"Sir i will have to ask you to leave the store. You are causing a public disturbance"

If he decides not to or argues the piont tell him:

"Sir if you dont leave ill have to call the local police to come down and adress the situation"

I have been in that situation before and i know where you are coming from

I hope someone can add something that will help out as much as i did.

The law applies everywhere, even (ESPECIALLY) in a place with many kids, teenage or younger (Myself being one, but that's beside the point! ^^"").

While I have never seen a situation like that in any of the tournaments I've been to, if the person isn't drunk, then no problem. If he/she is, then do exactly what firefighter said. I'd be REALLY surprised if the police actually had to handle something at a Pokemon tournament, but hey, Confuscious say: weird crap happens XD

Last edited:
Having been in a situation like this, not with Pokemon tho, I would stress highly that YOU DO NOT CONFRONT this person. The best situation is to get someone in authority. That means going to or getting an officer, Mall Security etc. Putting yourself in a dangerous position is not the answer.

I play weekly in an area where it is not uncommon to see or have "ragged" individual come in, and rather than confront them directly, I excuse myself and get one of the "guys" or owners. Police have been called before, but I make sure to have someone in "authority" handle the situation. By doing so you also remove your self from having that "drunk " party say that you were harrassing them.

Not trying to argue with anyone, but from a Woman's perspective, and an vertically challenged one at that, I call the "authorities"

There are penalties for arguing or yelling at TO's & Judges or even other players. It falls under poor sportsmanship. The organizer or store owner should have addressed the issue if they were notified of it. With someone under the influence & making a scene in a family environment, there are grounds for removal.

Sorry ya had to be involved in something like that. Really try and make sure actions are taken if possible for next time, too keep there from being a next time or something worse.

Last edited:
Boot 'em.

Any players who have the audacity to yell at me during one of my events are gone. I do not mind discussing disagreements in a civil manner, but I will not be abused when I am giving my time to this.

I usually give a player a warning to calm down, usually extrememly sternly so my point is taken, and also mark it on their score sheet. I have not had to boot anyone recently, but have no problem doing so.

Man I CANNOT WAIT for the big events to come up! That will be a test of all TO and judge's skills. You think it is bad now, wait until there are TRIPS on the line!!!

See you all soon!

M45

I agree.

Anyone who yells at a judge should be evicted from the tournament.

If they appear to be drunk, then you should problably have security or at least a couple of adults on hand. Call them over to you, away from the kids if possible, and tell them to leave.

Man I CANNOT WAIT for the big events to come up! That will be a test of all TO and judge's skills. You think it is bad now, wait until there are TRIPS on the line!!!
*sigh* I agree...and I sure hope we are going to have official penalty guidelines by then...

'mom

SD PokéMom said:

*sigh* I agree...and I sure hope we are going to have official penalty guidelines by then...

'mom

I had something happen at my Prerelaese tournament that I talked with PUI about. I was told they are working on penalty guidelines right now. So we might see them by Gym, but it could be as early as State is what I am thinking. I could not tell you which one, but they are working on them.

A Team Chicago Player's Response

As one of the seven players from Chicago who attended this event, I can assure you that NO ONE was drunk. Most of us rode over together and no one was drinking alcoholic beverages. One Chicago player was taking medication (I don't know what) and since some medicines do contain alcohol, you may have smelled that. Secondly, did you actually see this person consume alcohol and are you absolutely sure it was alcohol? The one Chicago player (one of the 3 players who is an adult) who did get loud (did not stop me or most folks from playing) was discussing "deck cutting" rules (I believe) - quite trivial. He was probably "passionate" about some point, no doubt. I did not over hear the discussion in detail, but I can assure you he was not drunk and definitely not an idiot. No unsportsmanlike conduct was demonstrated. But, did he carry on his point too long? ...Maybe

You also stated that "group from Chicago caused nothing but problems the whole time they were there". This is flat out not true! Some started trading cards and playing before the tournament. Did you know that some of us helped less experienced players rebuild their weak decks into stronger decks? Did you also see that some of us gave away cards to some of the newer players to the game? I don't think these behaviors cause problems...

Your other comment about "most of them were" implying some of us were also drunk. I can assure you, since I rode with 4 other people there, NO ONE had any alcohol!

Please before you make general statements about a group of people, get your facts straight. In many cases, perceptions are not reality. And it is unfair to label a group when you obviously did not nor could not watch all of us all the time. And in this particular case, MOST Chicago players conducted themselves in a good sportsmanlike manner. Besides you can't be "drunk" and take 1st, 2nd and 3rd palces in the South Bend CC like "Team Chicago" did.

I am most likely the person that this post was refering to. Let me asure you that I was not drunk nor under the influance of any mind altering substance! I do take medication but I hardly think Aliev and heart burn medication would have any effect like that. It may have seemed to some that I was too animated at one point, but that was mostly because I was raising my voice to be heard over the crowd. I was not yelling at the judge!! I belive that the judge was actualy more animated than I. I may have argued my point too long (the whole incident was less than 2 minutes though), but as soon as I realized I was making a distraction I apologized and quit the discussion. I also apologized later and tried to more quietly restate my point at which point the judge would have nothing to do with or say to me (a bit rude actualy, but I guessed I knew why). I still believe that my argument was the correct one. I'm sorry (not) if someone's feelings were hurt when they were informed they were wronge, even if they didn't admit it. The sad thing is that it was otherwise a well run tourny and would be happy to return if they would have me. I also made it a point to spend extra money at the store because I thought it was a well run event.

I have been playing Pokemon since Jungle and enjoy it very much. I do not by far know all there is to know about it but I do have a pretty good working knowledge of the game. I won't get into the actual arguement here, but I will say that the rules that the judge showed me are incomplete (doesn't mean that the judge can't use common sense though) and I will be attempting to have this corrected.

Last edited:
And with Saying "Some of the players" from our Team is rude that's wrong. All of us are well mannered and Organized and it hurtst that someone would post negetive things about us. yeah we're loud but at some point what group guys do you know don't get loud at one time or another.

dld4a said:
I may have argued my point too long (the whole incident was less than 2 minutes though), but as soon as I realized I was making a distraction I apologized and quit the discussion. I also apologized later and tried to more quietly restate my point at which point the judge would have nothing to do with or say to me (a bit rude actualy, but I guessed I knew why) .

Yes he did apologize later. He also did right after he realized it was causing problems. One thing he did forget though is:

A player may appeal any ruling made by a judge to the head judge of that tournament. The head judge is the final authority on card rulings and interpretation of floor rules for that event.

After the match and tournament was over he came back up and wanted to continue to argue. I didn't feel like listening to it and shrugged him off.

dld4a said:
I still believe that my argument was the correct one. I'm sorry (not) if someone's feelings were hurt when they were informed they were wronge, even if they didn't admit it. The sad thing is that it was otherwise a well run tourny and would be happy to return if they would have me. I also made it a point to spend extra money at the store because I thought it was a well run event. .

The thing that bothered me about his arguement was it wasn't even his game. It was his son's. The whole arguement was about shuffling. His son shuffled his deck then presented it to the other player to cut/shuffle. When he got his deck back he shuffled it again. So the other player wanted to reshuffle the deck. His son argued that how was he suppose to know that the opponent wasn't setting the deck. Question is, how do we know your son isn't setting it? See below for the old rules on this, which is what I go bye since PUI hasn't posted any. Since they copied almost everything else Wizards did, this will also probably hold true.

dld4a said:
I have been playing Pokemon since Jungle and enjoy it very much. I do not by far know all there is to know about it but I do have a pretty good working knowledge of the game. I won't get into the actual arguement here, but I will say that the rules that the judge showed me are incomplete (doesn't mean that the judge can't use common sense though) and I will be attempting to have this corrected.

Then you should know the rule Wizards has on this, which states:

21. Shuffling
Shuffling must be done so that the faces of the cards cannot be seen. Regardless of the method used to shuffle, players’ decks must be sufficiently randomized. Each time players shuffle their decks, they must present their decks to their opponents for additional shuffling and/or cutting. At a judge’s discretion, players may request to have a judge shuffle their cards rather than pass that duty to their opponents. By presenting their decks to their opponents, players state that their decks are sufficiently randomized.

After decks are presented and accepted, any player who does not feel his or her opponent has made a reasonable effort to sufficiently randomize his or her deck must notify a judge. The head judge has final authority to determine whether a deck has been sufficiently randomized. The head judge also has the authority to determine if a player has used reasonable effort to randomize the deck. If the head judge feels that either the deck has not been sufficiently randomized or that a player has not made a reasonable effort to randomize the deck, the player will be subject to the appropriate provisions of the DCI Penalty Guidelines.

To aid in randomization, at REL 3 and higher events, players must always shuffle their opponents’ decks at the beginning of games. If a deck-manipulation effect takes place, players may shuffle and must cut their opponents’ decks after the effect has resolved and any shuffling is completed. Once players have had the opportunity to shuffle and/or cut their opponents’ decks, the cards are returned to their original owners. If the opponent has shuffled the player’s deck, that player may make one final cut.

meganium45 said:
Any players who have the audacity to yell at me during one of my events are gone. I do not mind discussing disagreements in a civil manner, but I will not be abused when I am giving my time to this.

I agree, next time that is what will happen.

evil psyduck said:
At the South Bend city championships a group of people from chicago caused nothing but problems the whole time they were there.

This is not true. There was only one person that caused trouble. It was taken care of. As far as the drunk part. I was told about it. I told the person telling me this to say something to the store owner. I was running and judging the event, I didn't have time to look into it. The person wasn't causing any problems, so I really couldn't do much at the time.

I think evil psyduck has a little to much to drink.....

I am one of those individuals in the group at no point were we rude, disrespectful, or even drunk. We were nice to others, and showed respect to the judge with the exception of that one argument.
I personally thought(farbsman) did a great job with the tourney, and everyone in the team did as well. I thought that many of my opponents from the South Bend region where cool too. To say something stupid as the people from chicago were drunk and rude is ridicious and I feel that we deserve an a written apology evil psyduck. You cannot post false information and think you will get away with it.

See ya

You get no apology from me. What i stated were the facts. I haven't had a drink in over 6 years but i still consider myself an alcoholic. I know that what i smelled was not medication. And i also said that not all of the chicago people were like that

I would like to start off by saying that the tourny was very well run. And i look forward to going to another tourny ran by Farbsman.
Now down to buisness. My father at no point during the day especially during the tourny was he drunk. And i expect to get a full apology from not only evil psyduck but who ever had the nerve to start this false rumor. And as Tuxedo balck mentioned we did help kids with there decks and tried to trade with others before the tourny had started.
If anyone was being unsportsman it was the palyer i had played in the final round and the way he responded to me when i offered him a draw in the final round, who was from Indiana.
As to the shuffling questioned. after shuffling your deck you must offer it to your opponent for shuffling or cutting. If your opponent chooses to shuffle you may then cut. A cut is removing a single portion from the top of your deck and placing the bottom protion on top. Anything more than that is considered shuffling. And all i did was CUT my deck after my opponent shuffled. Which i should be allowed to do because how am i to know that my opponent did not see a card in my deck that he knows that i would not want to start with and top deck it, effectively starting me with a hand of six instead of seven.
I would like to restate that this was i very well run tourny. And look forward, to going to another tourny ran by farbsman.
Thank you
Dave III

Last edited:
And how do we know that you didn't stack your deck when you shuffled after your oppenent did. And i say shuffle because you did. What you asked your oppenent to do was lose and when he said no then and only then did you ask him to draw. Why did you ask him to do these two things? Because then you knew you would win your age group. If you had lost to him then you may not have won your age group. Also no names were mentioned so you must have a guilty conciense or however it is spelled> and that goes for both of you.

Last edited:
O.K. Exactly who are you talking about, because if it's me then maybe it's the Binaca I use. Doesn't make sense though because it's mint, but it does contain alchohol. Let me say one more time NONE OF THE CHICAGO PEOPLE HAD ANYTHING TO DRINK THAT DAY!!! I drove most of the people there in my van and went to dinner after with all so I know this for a fact!

*coughs

Okay: since this has degenerated into 'he said/he said', I'm going to lock this. Thanks for your understanding..

'mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back