Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What's happen if.....

... in a deck with only 4 basic pokemon (like TMHoundour/TmHoundoom), the basic go into the prizes
and the opponent stop to draw?

Given the current Floor Rules and pre-game procedures, this can't happen. Prizes are set out after both players have resolved their hands.

POP Floor Rules said:
Pre-game set-up​
1. Whoever wins the coin toss chooses which player goes first.​
2. Both players draw an opening hand of 7 cards.​
3. The player going first checks to see if he or she has a Basic Pokémon card in their hand. If they don’t have any, that player reveals their hand to the opponent and then shuffles their hand back into their deck. That player draws a new opening hand of 7 cards, while their opponent may draw an extra card. This will be repeated until the starting player has at least one Basic Pokémon in their hand.​
4. The other player checks to see if his or her hand has at least one Basic Pokémon at this time. If they don’t have any Basic Pokémon, they shuffle their hand back into their deck and draw an equal number of cards. (For example, Jake drew an extra card because Sarah had to re-draw her hand once. If Jake doesn’t have any Basic Pokémon in his hand of 8 cards, he will shuffle his hand back into his deck, and re-draw a hand of 8 cards.) The starting player would be allowed to draw one extra card.​
5. Each player places a Basic Pokémon face-down as their Active Pokémon, and then each player may start with up to 5 other Basic Pokémon on their Bench, face-down.​
6. Both players set aside 6 Prize cards face-down, to the side of the match. In the case of Limited format tournaments, players set aside 4 Prize cards instead.​

DaytonGymLeader said:
Given the current Floor Rules and pre-game procedures, this can't happen. Prizes are set out after both players have resolved their hands.

Oh my... after this very poor figure I'm thinking of dismiss from pokeprofessor!!!!

Last edited:
Oh... come on. Even Professors are not infallible. One mistake will not make the world end. However, that is consistent with the rules from the rulebook too.

OK, change can't to shouldn't.

If I were judging, I would inspect the deck for Basic Pokemon and compare it against the decklist, making sure that the deck at least has something that passes for Basics. If they happen to be in the prizes, I would have the player in question scoop their cards and have them follow the correct process. Then I would assign a penalty for something on the lines of Procedural Error - Major for the player who did drop their basics in the prizes and a Procedural Error - Minor for the other player for not ensuring game state. If the other player had already drawn mulligan cards after laying prizes, they would be targeted for 1 Procedural Error - Major for the illegal draws combined with not following the proper pre-game procedure (as prizes were already laid out). That player would NOT scoop and reset. Bear in mind I'd weigh player age, skill level, etc in all this, so the above is subject to change.

If it's an "upper level" event, such as CC/State championship/GC/Stadium Challenge, I would expect the penalty to be escalated. Again, weigh in player age, skill level, etc.

If it's just League, that's more of a teaching environment. I'd have both players scoop and start again from scratch using the correct process.

Last edited:
Back