When Pokémon was popular

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Tego, Sep 25, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Tego

Tego New Member

Do you ever miss the times when Pokémon was insanely popular? When you could read about our TCG in ordinary newspapers any day? And you were happy to find a single mall that wasn't sold out of Jungle and grab their last two boosters?

I guess everyone does. I used the time machine and found this amusing announcement on Wizards.com:
    http://web.archive.org/web/19991013000321/http://www.wizards.com/

"All Pokémon Trading Card Game products are currently sold out. Please check back later."

Those were the times.

2. Charizard19190

Charizard19190 New Member

Ahhhh, yes! ....I remember me & my mom going to a kinda far off place just TO get cards!

.......Booster packs there were $5 a pack.....
    .....I got a Beedrill for $5!
    : rollseyes :
    Those were great times........

3. Baboon

Baboon New Member

Yeah, I wish it were even just a year or 2 ago, when you could go to the local flea market to stock up on singles for cheap, when you could actually buy packs at the mall on basis of which store is cheapest (not just whoever HAS them), and when it was just *fun* deciding which cards to buy.
    Oh, and can't forget a major point: Having people in my area that PLAY! The most recent that they've had more than a few people playing Pokemon at the card store was the first half or so of 2002. =\

But that was always so fun for me, going to the Quakertown Farmer's Market every 1 or 2 weeks with my grandparents and when we passed the different card stands, picking up what I wanted. I remember buying my first Chansey there for $10... Come to think of it, my first Base 'Zard came from there too. I really miss being able to buy singles and everything like that anymore... :(
    But, to end on a positive note- it still is popular among us! :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  4. dkates

dkates New Member

Ah, yes. Back then, I hadn't had much experience with the game, since my only opponents were family members. I remember some of the first decks I posted on WizPoG -- decks that I would now almost be embarrassed to play. Just remember guys, our game is still one of the top trading card games out there, after having existed for almost 5 years, if I'm counting right. That in itself is no small accomplishment.

5. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

I do miss having tons of people around here who play it, but at one point, there was a store back then selling Base 1 packs for $10!!! Now, that was just wrong.

6. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

The good ol days. When you could talk to anyone about Pokemon. The funny thing is, Red & Blue came out in Sept 98. I didn't get into Pokemon until Summer 99. Already Pokemon was starting to decline from the fad it was. So by the time I went crazy about pokemon, others started not being crazy. :rolleyes:

7. Charizard19190

Yeah, same here, only i could'nt find the cards & no tournaments were around:(......I STILL CAN'T FIND ANY TOURNAMENTS!!!!!

8. Nick15

Nick15 Member

I remember Urza's Destiny! That was a GREAT set.

.... oh... we were talking about Pokémon... :D Uhm... yeah, I miss those days. So it won't be back, I think that's for the better (anyone with it NOW is considered dedicated ;))

9. Marril

Marril New Member

Urza Block = Block of brokenness. "Drop all these cards, cast these twenty spells, make you draw 60 cards, good game, too bad you didn't get a turn."

10. Charizard19190

That's for sure! :p

11. ShadowOfTyranitar

ShadowOfTyranitar New Member

re

I remember buying Charizard for $40(I have about 9). lol.

12. SailorClef

SailorClef New Member

$40? weren't charizards going for like $200 back then if i remember correctly? o_O

heh.. i can remember people using japanese cards at my league and CHEATING SO BADLY XDDD
    back then, the store had to designate one area for playing, and one for trading cause there were so many people o.o;;
    and that was back when they still had.. the sticker name tags for people O_O;; (anyone remember those?)

13. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

$200? You must mean the 1st. Ed. Base 1 Charizard. I know it went well over 100 at one point. As for the Japanese cards, blame Scrye magazine. It's translations were HORRIBLE!!!

Anyone remember how excited people were about Lugia when he first came out? And then, people tried to play him. :)

14. White Gryphon

White Gryphon New Member

Oh, yeah, so many people playing that lots of them decided to cheat... :p

One thing I miss... the knickknacks. I wish I had nabbed one of those "I'm an official Pokemon trainer!" GB protectors... and a bunch of the Japanese merchandise they stocked because they ran out of the English stuff... and I wish I hadn't have given that Raichu pin and that Charizard keychain away... Ah well... Those were the best times of my life, I'll never forget them. :)

Dad says I'm too old for things with tails and wings, thing is, things with tails and wings have done more for me than human contact has ever done... so why should I just turn my back on them?

15. treecko_332

treecko_332 New Member

well Nick 15, I'm with you Urza's was a great block....

About Pokemon: Well speacking of blocks, thats just what Pokemon needed to stay "alive" I know we're here but still, if Pokemon had blocks it would have farred a lot better.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  16. Skywolf1

Skywolf1 New Member

Truthfully, I am glad the FAD is over. I am pleased with the direction Pokemon is taking right now, working towards being a lasting brand. However, don't discount Pokemon as being "unpopular".

The Recent Set of Games (Ruby and Sapphire) are #1 and #2 respectively.

The most recent set of Trading Cards (EX - Ruby and Sapphire) went into 3 printings.

The TV series, is consistantly ranked as one of the TOP three programs for "kids" TV. A feat that isn't easily done with such a fluid market.

Take Care,

Skywolf1

17. Dunjohn

Dunjohn New Member

Some of the attacks were hilarious - the translator may have known the language, but obviously didn't know a thing about the game, or they'd have called them something that made sense. And known that James is not, in fact, a blue-haired girl.

And that Mary is not, in fact, the most broken card in Neo Genesis.

The first sign on Pokemon merchandise that arrived over here, even before the GB game, were those little plastic figures that came in transparent pokeballs, two to a pack. They were £4.99 each. That meant that I'd have to fork out £40 just to get the eight sets in the first wave. I got the Geodude/Golem one first. Then Gengar/Meowth.

Personally, I preferred the fad that erupted soon after that. There was genuine excitement in the crowd every time I (or anyone) bought a pack, rather than the amazed/derisive half-grins that mask faces nowadays.

18. Marril

Marril New Member

Spoken like a true geek.

19. SailorClef

SailorClef New Member

XDDDD
    what about "charity?"
    or brock's rhyhorn (i think it was brock's anyway.. the one that does 70) with NO flips XD

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  20. White Gryphon

White Gryphon New Member

What, your parents didn't make you watch Disney movies when you were a kid?