When to take prize cards

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Xarsah16, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Xarsah16

Xarsah16 New Member

I think my life is a lie. All this time, since Base set was released, I always thought that the action of taking prize cards happened in between turns. I understand that when you knock out a pokemon with an attack, you take prizes right then, likewise, if an effect like poison or burn kills it too, however the turn has ended.

I have a new deck that I've built with Greninja and Kingdra, and usually every turn, I'll try to use the Water Shuriken ability.

Water Shuriken: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a Water Energy card from your hand. If you do, put 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon.

My question though - are prizes always taken in between turns? Or are they taken immediately after a Pokemon is knocked out? I've KO'd pokemon using Water Shuriken before announcing my attack on the new defending Pokemon, and during one game, I was about to take my prize mid turn for doing so, when I stopped myself, and just waited until the end of my turn to take the prize.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. PMysterious

PMysterious New Member

You take the Prize card(s) immediately after the Pokemon(s) is knocked out. If you ever played the Game Boy game for Pokemon TCG and you knocked out a Pokemon with the Legendary Zapdos card or with the Fossil Gengar's Curse Poke-Power, then the "take a Prize card" game action is activated then and there. Hope this helps. ;)

3. Xarsah16

Xarsah16 New Member

I have! It's been a really long time though. I also used an Articuno deck which spread benched damage on a coin flip to either my bench or the opponent's. It was so worth the risk at the time XD

Also something I outta know since I'm studying to become a professor. :)