Why do more people have AIM then Yahoo Messenger?

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Pokekid, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Pokekid

Pokekid New Member

When I look at peoples profiles I see that everybody has AOL instent messaanger, why not yahoo, yahoo is like 50x better than AOL im. Why do people prefer aol than yahoo? Anybody know???

Edit:Fixed title to be more descriptive and clear-`Sensei

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2003
  2. Marril

Marril New Member

Because they do? IMO it's just a matter of preference.

3. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

Maybe it's because almost everyone has AIM, but not YIM? Plus, I'm not a fan of Yahoo, and not many people I know are either. I would be talking to myself if I had YIM...

4. Dek

Dek New Member

Okay, lets not be on the cruel side...
    Anyways, I think AIM is used the most because when it probably has the most features. I really cant give an EXACT answer since I dont have MSN or YIM, but a lot of people told me that AIM has more features. And its simple to use :D

5. sjmp

sjmp New Member

I Just Hate Everything To Do With AOL, I HATE Them! But I Also Think Yahoo Is Very Slow And, Well Just Almost As Bad.

6. I dislike AOL very much. But Y!IM is just horible, IMO...

7. onederlnd

onederlnd Administrator Emeritus

Keep in mind that AOL is NOT AIM.

I use AIM for one main reason, not everyone uses IRC :) At the same time, I run Gaim to use MSN Messanger, AIM and Yahoo. All of which are the same screenname.

When it comes to other users, it's probably because the fact that most of their friends don't use Y!.

8. Shinji Ikari

Shinji Ikari New Member

I use ICQ myself... Though I do have AIM and Yahoo! IM... I has MSN but I forgot my password...

9. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

I personally think ICQ is the best.

But anywhoo, that's why I use Trillian. It lets you connect to YIM, AIM, ICQ, and MSN! Great program...

10. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

I use Trillian, but the Yahoo and MSN parts don't work anymore due to the recent updates those two programs got. And seeing how I kind of didn't pay for Trillian, I can't figure out how to get those parts working again.

11. tyais

tyais New Member

I'm actually considering doing a study on this. From what I can tell, a lot of it has to do with region.

For example, when I lived in Northern Virginia, all I used was AIM. That's what everyone used. AOL had the biggest installed userbase, and having an AOL base right there helped a lot.

However, I moved to Northern AZ and just about everybody there uses MSN. So I switched.

Now I'm at college where people from all over have come together. People use AIM, MSN, ICQ, and various other messengers. So now I use Trillian. And I know quite a few others who swtiched to it too... it or Gaim.

But here are some things I've noticed...

-Not a single foreigner uses AIM. Go figure....
    -Most foreigners use MSN
    -The majority of US raised students that use MSN are from the West Coast,
    where as anyone and everyone I've met from the East Coast uses AOL.
    -AOL was the first. It has an installed user base. It was the first company to target families for the Internet and in consequence, it got into a lot of homes quickly.
    -The reasoning above explains why MSN is so popular abroad. MSN comes loaded on any Windows machine. Where AOL doesn't have an installed user base, Microsoft took a quick hold on that market by getting its product into homes.

12. onederlnd

Are you talking AOL or AIM? Because AIM is used by people all around the world.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2003
  13. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

Reason I chose one over the other was that the people I WANTED to talk to were on the one I chose...:p

As for the 'foreigners' thing..I beg to differ, Tyais, but I know several non-US folk who use AIM...

'mom

14. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

But it would not be surprising if less international people used America Online's Instant Messenger.

15. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

But remember, there's a difference between AOL (the ISP) and AIM; one does NOT need to use AOL as one's ISP to have AIM. I should know; I use AIM, but there's no way we'd use AOL as our ISP...so it's quite easy for 'foreign' users to use AIM for messaging.

'mom

16. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

League Leader Terry:
    There is a free version of Trillian that you can download without fear of ripping off the fine folks that make the program. It has all the tweaks and peaks a normal user could ever hope to need. And the latest update of it hos the YIM and MSN problems fixed. :)

17. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

True, but it certainly shifts the odds away from using AIM unless you are trying to chat with people who do use it.

I dropped AOL years ago but kept my AIM via their shareware program.

18. onederlnd

I could name about 30,000 non Americans who use AIM :) (and dont even TRY to ask me to really do it)

Yes, there is a free version of Trillian, yet it does NOT have "all the bells and whistles" of Trillian 2.0 Pro. First obvious way of telling is the filesize. 5,036 KB vs. 2,748 KB under the same compression. But yeah, all the basics are there.

19. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Exactly...I`m not ever going to use AOL but I originally got AIM because everyone else I knew had AIM as well.I also had ICQ for awhilebut not many people had it so I eventually dropped it.AIM is the most popular from what i`ve seen.

`Sensei

20. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

In my area, YM seems dominant. I use all three, but I started with Yahoo first since a) AOL is just not a happy thing-one of my Professors had a brother-in-law they hired, and he, a reasonably high-up employee, does not use AOL, b)MSN, at least at the time, required a hotmail account, and I didn't feel like having a third e-mail address at the time.

In terms of features, its weird. AIM appears to have the most... but they never work, at least for me. This might just be due to the people I am dealing with though. MSN and Yahoo's seem to work about half the time.