Winston-Salem CC Report

Discussion in 'City Championships' started by omg19, Feb 8, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. omg19

omg19 New Member

Jacy Sturkie
    February 7, 2004
    Winston-Salem, NC
    City Championship at Game Haven

The night before the tournament, Devin (my friend) didn't have a deck built, so we just made him a Espeon/Omastar deck and playtested for the rest of the night. I was playing Gard.
    So we woke up at 8 that morning, and drove to Winston-Salem (from Columbia, SC) for the tournament. We got there a few minutes before the store opened and saw some kids standing around--none of them looked familiar. This place was in the middle of nowhere, in some little shopping center with a Dollar General and some really small ghetto Mexican restaurant. So, anyway, eventually the store opens and we go in. The only person I recognize is BondiBorg, but I'm really shy and didn't say anything. Wait, nevermind, there was this really big guy who I remember from a SBZ in Charlotte. He was arguing with the judges and claimed that Master Trainer Mike said something and he was arguing with some older players, but anyway, he was there. Brian Leary and Jeff Reynolds were the judges... and they were cool, like always. :cool:

Some other people showed up (the Barlocks, Jordan (FlipsAreCool)) and yeah. Kat/Charizard Girl was there, too. AND SHE DIDN'T RECOGNIZE ME! Gosh! :) Yeah, well before the tourney, I noticed that there were a lot of Gardevoirs, so I added in the 2nd Weakness Guard. The Tournament was 7 rounds--no T8. There were 50+ people, but I don't remember the exact number.

[4] Ralts
    [3] Kirlia
    [2] Gardevoir
    [3] Gardevoir EX
    [3] Wynaut
    [2] Wobbuffet

[4] Oak's Research
    [2] Copycat
    [3] Birch
    [2] TV Reporter
    [4] Rare Candy
    [2] Weakness Guard
    [3] Potion
    [3] Oran Berry
    [1] Switch
    [1] Town Volunteers

[3] Boost
    [15] Psychic

1st round
    Vs. Guy who I remember from previous tournaments but I forget his name--playing Shiftry/Ampharos EX
    I win the flip and start with Wob... sheesh. He has a lone Mareep. I play an energy and Oak's Research. He plays two fast ball and gets Shiftry and Amphy EX, then attaches an energy to Mareep to hit me for 10. I play another Oak and get Ralts. I attach another energy to Wob, and pass. He evolves plays Seedot and Rare Candy's it to Shiftry, and evolves the Mareep. Eventually, I KO his Amphy EX and the Shiftry for the win. It was a pretty fast game.
    1-0

I talk to Devin and he beat some random kid... Stephanie was playing the big guy, and they were arguing about seeing through his cases, but it was no big deal. She won anyway...

2nd round
    Vs. Kid w/ Typhlosion EX/Blaziken
    I remember this kid from the Ru/Sa Challenge... he was the only other person in my age group there. I beat him there, and he was mad because I had Latias... but whatever, he didn't remember me.

I had a good start, and got a turn two Gard Ex that knocked out his Dunsparce. A few turns later, I had another on my bench w/ a regualar Gard. He was powering up his bench, which helped me. The only things he got out were one Blaze and one Typhlosion EX. I eventually won.
    2-0

Lunch break! Jeff ordered pizzas for people and Devin and I went to the ghetto Mexican place. The whole place was this room... they had like 4 tables. A 10 y/o kid was our waiter... and the other guy in there was watching some mexican football game or something and kept yelling at the tv. Um... okay. After we ate I went to the Dollar store and bought some water. Wow.

3rd round
    Vs. Stephanie Barlock w/ Rayquaza/Blaziken
    8|
    I started with a Wynaut I think, and got a Gard out when she killed Wynaut. She was owning me for the whole game. I killed some things with Wob, and caught up on prizes. We each had two. She killed something (Gardevoir I think) with Ray, so I sent up Gard EX w/ one energy. There were 7 energies in play... and I got a Boost! I attached it and BARELY KO'ed the Rayquaza. I drew my last prizes and won... but it was WAY too close.
    3-0

4th round
    Vs. Kat w/ Gard
    We both started w/ Ralts... I had a Wob benched.
    I attach, do 20. She potions, 20 to me. I get Wynaut, attach to it and retreat Ralts. I get Gard. She Rare Candies her Ralts to Gard and attaches an energy. She had to decide whether to KO Wynaut and to use Gard's power, or to wait. She knew I got Gard w/ Wynaut, so it was a touch choice. If she didn't KO Wynaut, then I would have evolved to Wob and Boost it for the win, but if she did, then I would send out Ralts, Rare Candy, attach energy, and then use Gard's power to win. She got another psychic on her Gard, and 20 damage to KO Wynaut. I send out my Ralts, evolved to Gard and got the two energies on it for the win. We played again for fun, and she won.
    4-0

5th round
    Vs. Jordan w/ Gardevoir/Wailord
    Jordan is a great player, and I'm so glad he's only 14. He beat me at the Ru/Sa Challenge and went on to win for his age group there. I started with Wynaut, and got set up fast. I was killing him w/ Wobs and built up a few Gard/EXs. He got no energy and had horrible hands. I ended up winning, but he went on to win 1st for his age group. :)
    5-0

6th round
    Vs. Denise Barlock w/ Gard
    First, I would like to say that Denise is SO cool. She was really fun, and made me laugh the whole game. I got no draw, and was topdecking nearly the whole game. She got set up fast, and killed me. I lost, but I'm glad it was to her.
    5-1

Jeff announced the rankings, and I was in 1st for my age group! :D
    Bondi was in 2nd, so we knew we were going to play.

7th round
    Vs. BondiBorg w/ Rayquaza/Blaziken
    I don't know what was wrong with my deck. This was a repeat of the last game. He used Desert Shaman a few times (which was helping me, but I still got nothing). He got Ray out, with Blaziken, and I think I eventually got out a Gard, but it was my last Pokemon and I couldn't do anything.
    5-2

I'm so glad that Bondi and Jordan won, and I didn't know the kid who won 10-, but congrats to him, too!
    I forget what place I got, but I got 9 packs and a Machamp. Devin went 4-3...

Well, I had a great time!

Props!
    Jeff Reynolds
    Brian Leary
    Justin Fowler
    Stephanie Barlock and her brother
    Denise Barlock and her mother
    Stephanie, YOUR GRANDMA PWNS!
    Jordan Hill
    Kat!
    and Devin
    wait, and my parents for taking us
    AND the Mexcian kid

I'll see you guys in Charlotte! ;)

2. FlipsAreCool

FlipsAreCool New Member

Winston CC

Hey Jacy that was a great tournament! Wow our game was close but even though I lost it was the best game of the day by far! Sorry you didn't win but you still did awsome! Hope to see you at Charlotte!

-Jordan

3. davechri

davechri New Member

Hey Jordan, congratulations! You always do GREAT in Winston-Salem!

4. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

What decks came in first in their age groups?

5. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

I really enjoyed the tournament yesterday. My Ampharos ex deck could have done better.

Round 1: vs. Justin (Blaziken/Rayquaza ex)
    This was an interesting battle. Blaziken was giga volted some. The battle ended when I was behind in prizes.
    0-1

Round 2: vs. Brian (Ampharos EX, Shiftry)
    He was the only one on my caravan that I battled. His Shifty kept fanning away energies into my deck.
    0-2

Round 3: vs. Josh
    This guy really fears Ampharos ex. His Flygon could do some damage, but Ampharos giga volted his Pokémon.
    1-2

Round 4: vs. Janice (Bagon)
    Her Shelgon reduced incoming damage by 10, but she ran out of benched Pokémon.
    2-2

Round 5: vs. Randy (Magcargo/Blaziken)
    It took awhile to defeat Blaziken with Ampharos ex, but doomsday came on as Slugma came on. It was damage and burn galore for my deck.
    2-3

Round 6: vs. Bob (Gardevoir/Gardevoir ex)
    An acquaintance from Asheville, his Gardevoir outdid my Mewtwo ex and Wobbuffet. I did not have enough time to power up Ampharos ex.
    2-4

Round 7: vs. Brandon
    His deck had some Grass, Water, and Colorless types. Ampharos ex was paralyzed a few times, but finished the night off with a giga volt.
    3-4

I would like to thank:
    *Andrew, Liz, Bryan, Michael, Alex, Chris, and Michelle (aka Charizard Girl) for coming along with me and being worthy competition back in South Carolina
    *Jeff Reynolds and his assistant for a great job of running the City Championships
    *Bob and the players from Asheville, NC
    *Justin for becoming a new friend
    I should arrive in Charlotte with a vengance.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  6. Feraligatr

Feraligatr New Member

Prime feel free to email me at jockeyridge@yahoo.com if you would like the deck lists. I think you had a player (Dave M.) that was interested.
    BoDragon thanks for bringing the gang up. SC was definitely well represented !!! Look forward to seeing everyone in Charlotte on Feb 28.

7. Feraligatr

Feraligatr New Member

omg19 great job in placing 3rd in 15+ out of 27 players !!! Devin did great too at 4th in 11-14 out of 17 players!!! Hope to see you in Charlotte.

8. FlipsAreCool

FlipsAreCool New Member

15 and Up
    [font=times new roman,ariel]1st Place - Justin F. w/Blaziken-Rayquaza
    [font=times new roman,ariel]2nd Place - Denise B. w/Gardevoir
    [font=times new roman,ariel]3rd Place - Jacy S. w/Gardevoir
    [font=times new roman,ariel](Note Places 1-3 all had a 6-1 record)[/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]

11 through 14
    [font=times new roman,ariel]1st Place - Jordan H. w/Gardevoir-Wailord
    [font=times new roman,ariel]2nd Place - Elissa H. w/Blaziken-Rayquaza
    [font=times new roman,ariel]3rd Place - Michael B. w/Omastar
    [font=times new roman,ariel](Note Place 1 had a 6-1 record and Places 2-4 had a 5-2 record)

10 and Under
    [font=times new roman,ariel]1st Place - Hunter W. w/Sceptile
    [font=times new roman,ariel]2nd Place - Curran H. w/AmpharosEx
    [font=times new roman,ariel]3rd Place - David M. w/Kabutops
    [font=times new roman,ariel](Note Places 1-4 had a 5-2 record and the difference between 1st and 2nd was
    1% point!)
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]

[font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel]Enjoy![/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
    [font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel][font=times new roman,ariel]-FlipsAreCool

[/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]
    [/font]

9. omg19

omg19 New Member

Hey Jordan, I lost my last two games to the top two players (go figure)... so I went 5-2, not 6-1.

10. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

Feraligatr, it was nice coming up to Winston-Salem again. I look forward to seeing you in Charlotte, and please have a deck ready so I can battle you in some free time.

11. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

Jacy, I think I remember you from the Greenville, SC Super BattleZone at The Outpost, which is now defunct. I cannot remember if we faced each other. I hope to see you in Charlotte.

12. Masamune156

Masamune156 New Member

Bo, were going to the CC in Charlotte?
    -Chris

13. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

Hey!

It is a choice between Charlotte and Asheville, which are both on the 28th. Asheville is a shorter drive, and Craftish Geeks are located in the city. We would have to pay for parking, and would have many things to carry from a parking deck. Underground Games in Charlotte is great. If you want to go up to Asheville instead of Charlotte, that will be fine with me.

14. Masamune156

Masamune156 New Member

Ah ok, thanks. I had heard something about going but wasn't sure. Everyone else is going too, correct? Doesn't matter to me which place we go too, just as long as we kick butt. :)

15. Kitshera

Kitshera New Member

*smiles and hugs ya* Hey Jacy. I'm sorry I didn't recognize you at first, it's just been so long since I last saw you. Congrats just so much on how well you did in the tournament, and I wish you the best of luck at Charlotte.

Oh and btw, my name is Kit, not Kat. lol ^_^ Also known as Michelle, but I despise my name. =P

And again! Good luck!