Wizards of the Coast to Close all Stores!!!!

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Pokeplayer, Dec 29, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pokeplayer

Pokeplayer New Member

2. Adv1sor

Adv1sor New Member

It is bad news, but it's not surprising.

Last time I was in a WOTC store they had stopped hosting tournaments altogether. No MTG, no Pokemon, no nothing.

Store owners who aren't willing to host tournaments for the customers who support their stores don't usually last long.

3. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

This also goes for all Game Keeper stores, which are owned by WOTC. I just checked with the one here in SLC, Utah.

4. Turbo Blastoise

Turbo Blastoise New Member

Does that mean WotC is going completely out of business?

5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Read the article.
    They are "focusing on their core business".

6. treecko_332

treecko_332 New Member

No it does not. Wizards of the Coast [I hate WotC, okay(the name)] just wants to fucus on the games, not stores.

Doesn't really affect me. I can walk to a stone to get pokemon and MtG cards anyway. Sorry for any one who this is their only resourse,

Treecko

7. Gym Leader Blaine

I worked for the Game Keeper here in SLC, Utah for a couple of year, and I know this is really not a surpise to most of the stores. WotC has wanted to sell off or get rid of the retail stores for sometime now. It look like they just decided to finally do it.

8. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Were Doomed.... :(

No seriously if this is true it is the end of my league that has lasted since the beginning of Pokemon. My local Wotc store has been my home Saturdays for 4 hours for the last 4+ years. I'm not gonna give up 2 seconds after reading one article however....

9. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Wynaut just have your league leader move your league to another location in the same area, Pidgeotto Trainer? It may be hard to leave the place you have gone to for such a long time, but you will get over it. After all, I have gone to 4 leagues in my Pokemon career, and the one I am at now will most likely remain until the end of Pokemon, if there is ever an end.

The Wizards store at my very busy mall closed because people barely ever went in, especially after they stopped their leagues.

10. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Well for one thing he is the manager at the store so I doubt he could continue it. He doesn't even know how to play but gives the points and hands out the promos. I should try to find another place but its not so easy when there was about 4 leagues across the state. Has anyone asked their stores how soon they're closing? The article just says it should be over within 2 months.

11. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

it saddens me that they're closing their retail stores. A Gamekeeper (the same one I have the league at now) was the first place I played pokemon (for real, instead of making up rules).

Pidgeotto Trainer, it surprises me that you don't have an alternative league plan. I've been worried about my league for the last 2 months that the league wouldn't be renewed. The manager apparently had little power in saying yes or no. The real problem was that if WOTC decided not to carry pokemon products, that would prevent league play (WOTC saying no pokemon activities are to be supported). Didn't you/anyone else who has their league at a WOTC/gamekeeper location have this worry as well?

Since I'm currently working at the Gamekeeper, I'm sorry to tell you that I do know when the last day for the retail stores is, but I'm worried about saying things that weren't in the article (even though everything, except the exact date of closing, that I know is in the article). If i find out I can tell people everything i know tomorrow, I'll come back and say, if it isn't known at that time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  12. Monkey

Monkey <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

There are no WOTC or Gamekeeper stores around me within a 100 mile radius I think, so this doesn't affect me. But, it really sucks for the people whose only place to play are at those stores! :/ Im really sorry for you guys.

13. kingkyle3

kingkyle3 New Member

Hmm...I've actually known about this for a long time. Last year I was in my lcoal WoTC and the guy said that ALL WoTC were going to be closed by the end of 2003. They just couldn't compete with all the local hobby stores. For a long time they had a storewide clearence...I got PKMN cards 3 for 1 0_0

14. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

That could explain why the Wizards I went to at my mall was having Gym Heroes and Challenge packs on sale for such a long time and why they always had some special deal on Pokemon cards and other TCGs. Then in December last year they paused the league for Christmas and never restarted it.

Off topic question for kingkyle3:
    I thought the first McDonalds was in Downey, CA.

15. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Mayhaps this could be a good chance for someone to make in investment in their local store and buy the location, et al?

16. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

As a susidiary of Hasbro, WotC is in business to make people happy. :)

The people it wants to make happy are Hasbro investors. Investors put their money into a stock based on profit growth (or perceived potential for it).

One way to raise profits is to jettison underperforming assets, such as these retail outlets.

This was the reason for the lowball offer by WotC for the TCG license renewal. WotC made a 'fair' offer for the license (one that would guarantee it nice profits), but Nintendo thought it would be more 'fair' to keep the profits for itself.

Similar mechanics underly the (now-settled) lawsuit brought by WotC against PUI/Nintendo.

Unfortunately, the interests of a few customers like us are not enough to trump business pressures from the stock market. Corporations and their markets are not evil, but it sure can seem that way when their decisions hurt individuals.

I invest in stocks, and I look for the same earnings growth as everyone else. I just wish my gain were never someone else's pain, though I'm sure it often is.

I feel badly for you guys. One of the leagues I ran was closed about a year ago 'for business reasons', and it was a serious bummer. I hope you can build new leagues to take their place.

17. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

How did that end?

18. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

The only info I have on the settlement is what is given HERE

19. kingkyle3

kingkyle3 New Member

Off topic answer to Water Pokemon Master:

A lot of people think that but we have a museum and they claim to be the first...

20. Gym Leader Blaine

I was told that some already have, and their inventory is being sent to other stores that will stay open till it is sold out or in a couple of months. Also the one here in SLC has all their stuff 20% off right now, excuding card games :(. Maybe we will see some good sells on this stuff as the days move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.