Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Would electrons flow best in a vacuum?

Muscovy Level X

Ok, I noticed in my science 9 and 10 books, several times it mentioned how electrons actualy flow. But what they contradicted was whether or not matter is required (and some elements work better than others), or if all matter slows electrons down (some elements less than others).

A better way of putting it is this: the best or worst way to make current flow is in a vacuum (as in no air, not the kind you clean with).

Any ideas?

Last edited:
You're referring to electrical conduction, right?

The most efficient way for electricity to be conducted is to use a superconducting metal. The resistance is actually 0, and does no require a vacuum or any other stipulations, other than the correct temperature for becoming "superconductive."

A vacuum really doesn't have anything to do with the conduction.

You're referring to electrical conduction, right?

The most efficient way for electricity to be conducted is to use a superconducting metal. The resistance is actually 0, and does no require a vacuum or any other stipulations, other than the correct temperature for becoming "superconductive."

A vacuum really doesn't have anything to do with the conduction.
I know about supercondutors, but that wasn't my question. What I want to know is if electrons can flow through nothing, as there is no resistance.
The outcome would determine if matter resists electron flow (some types more than others), or if matter promotes electric current, some less than others.

An electron stream could flow through a vacuum. I don't think it would be the best way to make current flow, though, because you would need some way of generating the electron stream, and some way to guide it.

^Yes.

Muscovy Level X said:
I know about supercondutors, but that wasn't my question. What I want to know is if electrons can flow through nothing, as there is no resistance.
The outcome would determine if matter resists electron flow (some types more than others), or if matter promotes electric current, some less than others.

Note: 2 different things, which do you mean?

There would be no way to control the electron stream if there was no matter. It would basically behave like random radiation.

Matter resists electron flow, hence why copper wiring is used instead of PVC pipe.

However, matter aids electrical current, or else the electrons would fly everywhere.

your old TV uses cathode ray tubes to project an image by shooting elecrons onto the screen. These tubes are vacuum sealed. The electrons seems to travel just fine as long as there are definite poles in the tube ( + and -).

With the vacuum, the electrons can easily flow because they have nothing to grab them up and prevent their flow.

so sayeth the AP Chem teacher.

^^^^^

the second one here agrees. Research my old bud, J.J. Thomson. He actually discovered the "electron" in the process of playing around with what you are asking. Yup, they can travel through a vacuum and are subject to electromagnetic fields.

Back