Wow GirafariG woW

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Psycho_Lugia_X, Mar 11, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Psycho_Lugia_X

Psycho_Lugia_X New Member

It seems like i have some kind of reversed Midas Touch. Every card i think is pretty good turns out to be a dud. This is true in at least four card games (Magic, constantly!!!; YGO; Pokémon, now and then; DBZ, earlier at least). So, when i saw the Girafarig from Dragon, i had two reactions. First, wow, this is great; then, dang, i just jinxed it.

So please tell me, is there anything good about this card? I see it as a great basic. Get it out, fish out your key cards, switch it out, bring in your main dude.

Any opinions? Any situations you might want to avoid using this card in? Any experience with this card?

Oh, yeah, in case there are multiple Gir's in the set (not very familiar with Dragon) it's the one with the energy synch. attack.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  2. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

The card is terrible.

Not only is Synchronized Search a waste of an attack, it ONLY works if both Girafarig and the Defending Pokémon have the same number of energy attached.

Not good. Play Linoone over Girafarig if you really want a searching attack.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  3. Psycho_Lugia_X

wow. see what i'm sayin' about the jinxiness? Speaking of which...a Jynx deck is good right? It's an energy removal. But generally jynx is good right? Sleep, energy removal, paralysis, and cheap. Is jynx worth using? I use the neo....cant rememeber right now...one, with an aquapolis one.

Could i get some feedback on Jynx? Any jynx? Anyone?

4. SlimeyGrimey

SlimeyGrimey New Member

Huhuhuhuh.

That was supposed to be a shudder, it would be nice if there was some way I could type a shudder without doing this: (shudders).

Anyway, Jynx is NOT good (whichever one you're talking about)

Oh, and uh, I like your title-it's a palindrome.

5. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Girafarig is okay in draft but all my (limited) attempts to use it in a deck have failed. Girafarig promises more than it delivers. It almost always costs you a prize and doesn't always deliver that search.

6. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

its a good early game card, but it forces you to go second... allowing your opponent to attack first isnt a great thing, its not even a good thing, nor a so-so thing, this is a bad thing... It is great in draft but looses speed the deeper you go... decent in Modified, and not even worth playing in Unlim... the 2 seraches it can get in first 2 turns (assuming you went 2nd) is the same as Linoone (wether you go first or second) and quickly looses ground after that... also not the search can cost you 2 energy on turn 2....

On a side note, it is a decent Bench hitter, that combined with the search attack allows it to see some play in certain decks...

Rating this card, 1-5 scale....

Limited/Draft- 4.5 (basic, good HP, and a bench hitting attack along with search makes this a good find/pull)

Modified- 2.0 (there are better cards, both Pokemon and Trainers, but it is a 70HP basic, and can be usefull at times...)

Unlim-0.5 (there is way to much to ever consider using this guy, you're lucky if you get more than 1 Search out of it...)

When I pulled these at Pre-Release I thought the same thing, even put 2 of them in my deck, and the search helped alot, getting my Flygon out in some key matches...but the more decks I built for Modified, I could never bring myself to include one of my fave Normal type Pokemon (for you non-vid players, its type is Psy/Normal) in any of my decks... I havent ever considered it for unlim.... better search cards that arent an attack are availble here...

7. registeel

registeel New Member

I really do not like this card! what are the odds the defending pokemon and Girafarig have the same amount of energy? And even so would you really want to waste your energy to waste an attack for just one card! its worthless. just use a Wobbuffet way way way! Better than Girafarig!

8. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

well, if you were using Girafarig, it would be early game, you would generally need 1-2 Energy to get it to work, facing stuff like Dunsparce or Wynaut the first few turns... it still isnt that good, with the exception of Draft...

9. Ice'Cold

Ice'Cold Active Member

Go with Wynaut or Dunsparse as a better searcher than this thing.

10. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

The only deck that really makes this thing semi usefull is Gardi... I mean its can be great tech here... 3-4 Wynaut, 1-2 Girafarig, odds are you will start every game with either... Now the first attack is good early game, but this isnt why it is good Tech for Gardi... its the second attack... It give Gardi a Bench hitter... the 2 attacks combined make it worthy for this deck, in limited supply.... IMO... no more than 2, and generlly 1...

11. DARKGeNGaR094

DARKGeNGaR094 New Member

*agrees*

12. liminy0

liminy0 New Member

Giragarig can be easily counted in first turn by Dunsparce, search and switch up with a basic without any energy attached. It is awful to start a game with the attack does nothing on the first turn. I think it is rarer in Pokemon to have a card that changes the whole game. Girafarig mostly likely to search to evolution and trainer. While, orcle, and Elm's training and other trainer can do almost the same. Plus the second attack is not great.

13. Psycho_Lugia_X

hmmm...i see what your saying. I guess i forgot to consider that in order to keep this guy working, you'd have to waste many of your energy drops on him. I thought in an ideal situation, he'd be matching the defending basic in energy and be a wall while i set up my heavy hitter, you know, find him, pump him up, evolve him, etc. so even another one could replace the first gira and wall until im ready. But, i guess i was stuck in a flowery world of ideal battles.

But now this: why is Jynx terrible? I have a deck with 4 of em to stall while i get my vaporeon ready to obliterate the opponent's energy while pounding on em. It is a solid deck whenever i test it...what am i missing?