writer's strike

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by rhodesia123, Nov 10, 2007.

1. rhodesia123

rhodesia123 New Member

so whats with these writers and their greedyness?

2. ixidor89

ixidor89 New Member

It's really ridiculous to call the writers greedy when the people that they write for make much more money than they do using their material.

3. Globefishpoison

Globefishpoison New Member

The writers are in a union, and when the union contract expires with the powers that be, they sit down to negotiate a new one. When they can't come to an agreement, the union goes on strike in hopes of gaining higher wages, better benefits, or to prevent wage cuts or loss of benefits. I don't know the specifics of the situation, but as an aspiring writer myself, I hope them the best of luck.

4. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

I guess people can't make a living wage unless they band together =\. Ever think it's not so much greed as it is necessity?

5. Gir

Gir New Member

Thre of my favorite shows already stopped filming...

6. Burninating_Torchic

Burninating_Torchic New Member

It's kind of sad.
    I had just finished reading a book for English about how TV is corrupting our culture and whatnot, and because of that, I was actually thinking this writer's strike was a GOOD thing - it'd lower our dependence on television, if only for a while.
    Then I found out that if it holds it's going to cut Heroes' second season to 11 episodes.
    They'd better work something out soon.

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I'm missing all of my regular shows already, but I fully support the writers.
    The studios are refusing to give then ANY share of online profits.
    That's ridiculous.
    The writers are willing to take a share of the profit, so the studios are fully protected if something doesn't make a profit.

The only greed I see is on the studios' part.

8. Vegeta ss4

Vegeta ss4 Iron Chef Leader

Amen!!!!

9. Good thing youtube will never go on strike. Gotta love stickman and funny pokemon.

10. Burninating_Torchic

Burninating_Torchic New Member

Youtube can't tell you what's going to happen next in Heroes.
    =(

11. I think they all get on a plane and it goes down over some Island and then they are Lost.

12. The King Of Magikarps

The King Of Magikarps Active Member

I have to side with the writers. They get paid ONCE for their work since the network pretty much buys the work. Also the networks recently demanded that all unfinished work must be turned in to the networks. This strike IMO will last for at LEAST half a year if not longer. Also people who watch network shows on video services like Youtube are part of the problem.

13. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

While, I may not agree with the strike, I agree with the writers. They currently get about 4% of the profits. But due to most sales now dealing with online things, they want the same type of deal that happened in the music industry. They want to get about 8% now, which would include the online stuff. I think that is the jist of it, but I think they should.

JMO,
    Drew

14. Strike

Strike Member

I'll get more people away from tV and go outside, I'm all for this strike.

Just, don't let it end.