Wurmple Madness (Neo On w/Promos #21 and After, Non-DCI)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Carrington388, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrington388

Carrington388 New Member

Pokémon (18)
    4 Wurmple (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)
    2 Silcoon (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)
    2 Beautifly (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)
    2 Cascoon (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)
    2 Dustox (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)
    2 Scyther (Neo Discovery)
    2 Qwilfish (Neo Revelations)
    2 Igglybuff (Promo #36)

Trainers (22)
    4 Copycat (Expedition)
    4 Energy Stadium (Neo Destiny)
    4 Town Volunteers (Aquapolis)
    4 Moo-Moo Milk (Neo Destiny)
    3 Grass Cube 01 (Aquapolis)
    3 Lum Berry (EX: Ruby & Sapphire)

Energy (20)
    20 Grass Energy

The strategy of the deck is to get your Stage 2 bugs out as fast as possible, and a Wurmple attack allows for this, and even what you want it to evolve into. Not to mention the entire Dustox line (Wurmple, Cascoon, Dustox) as well as Grass Cube 01 (when attached) can inflict Poison, Beautifly can inflict Paralysis, and Silcoon can stop Retreat.

No Wurmple? Call Scyther. This big bad bug can deal up to 90 damage on turn two. Sure it's dependent on four flips, but that's a risk worth taking, especially if the attack averages 30 anyway.

Fire's gonna be a problem, so if you see some, just count on Qwilfish to put it out. Igglybuff and Grass Cube 01 (when attached) inflict Sleep, so you can choose the right condition for the right situation (especially when your opponent notices Beautifly Poisoned his or her prized Pokémon).

The Trainer engine is pretty straightforward. There's 22 (less than 24), so no worry about being bashed for supporting Trainermon. Copycat is the draw engine, while Energy Stadium recycles discarded Energy. Town Volunteers can return your Pokémon to the deck (up to a whole Wurmple line with both branches if counted right). Moo-Moo Milk and Lum Berry comprise the healing engine (the former removes damage, the latter Special Conditons). Finally, Grass Cube 01 can inflict two Special Conditions simultaneously.

Any comments, fixes, and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. dkates

dkates New Member

An interesting set of Pokemon that looks like it works (although I'd change out the Igglybuffs for Cleffas), but that Trainer engine needs major work. 4 Town Volunteers is too much, as is 4 Energy Stadium. Besides, with this deck's low Retreats and attack costs, you don't need Energy Stadium at all! We've said it before, and I'll say it again, use Gold Berry where you have Moo-Moo Milk! Moo-Moo Milk is flippy, Gold Berry is not. Gold Berry activates as soon as you have 4 damage counters, Moo-Moo Milk does not. The only risk with Gold Berry that is not present for Moo-Moo Milk is that the Pokemon gets Knocked Out first. Just attach the Gold Berry when you can be reasonably sure it won't go away unused, and you're covered. My overall suggestions (including the above):
    -2 Igglybuff
    -4 Moo-Moo Milk
    -2 Grass Energy
    -4 Energy Stadium
    -2 Town Volunteers
    +3 Gold Berry
    +2 Cleffa (Genesis)
    +3 Professor Elm
    +2 Focus Band
    +2 Switch
    +2 Lucky Stadium

[EDIT] Good point, bullados. Add to the above fix:
    -1 Town Volunteers
    +1 Focus Band

Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  3. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

don't even try. Carrington's never going to change his ways, no matter how much we try to pursuade him otherwise. Either way, I think that even 2 TVs is too much. 1 will be enough. Other than that, go with Dkates's fix, if you want this deck to actually get better.

4. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

Personally, I'd be wary of using more than one Energy Stadium in your deck (might I recommend Ancient Ruins/No Removal Gym instead?). The main reason is that your main weakness is Fire, and Fire decks are the most likely (other than Electric decks, maybe) to have Pokemon which require the player to discard Fire energy when they attack.
    Now, you don't want to be charging them up when you're trying to attack, right?

If you really need energy from you're discard pile, use Fisherman (supporter, from Aq or Skyridge, can't remember which). It's much better.

The only other Edit I'd make is only go for one or 2 Stadiums instead of 4 -it's way too many, unless your opponent has lots too-, and have you considered putting in a Relic Hunter (Skyridge, I think) card to get those stadiums out, along with one of your other supporter cards instead?

That's my suggestion, as my deck is somewhat similar to the one you're using. I use Beautifly and Scizor (Aq, gotta love it with Snatch+HeavyMetal as it's attacks) in mine, but otherwise, it seems okay.
    Also, keep at least a few Potions(3) OR MooMooMilk's(2+) in, as well as the gold berries. There are times when you want it to be COMPLETELY healed before your opponent tries to attack you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.