Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Yet more idle worlds speculation

Dendrobatida

Now, just to throw some ideas out there, just because they may not rotate legal cards for Worlds doesn't mean they won't have a surprise in store for all of us who are going. I'd be intrigued to see a little announcement once I get there that said:

"Congratulations, champion player! Now that you've made it to the World Championship, get ready to test your skills against the best on the planet! On day one, you'll be competing in a majorly modified tournament! Then, if you have what it takes to make it to the Sunday finals, be ready to duke it out with the competition, dual style, in our first sanctioned 2-on-2 tournament play to determine the 2004 World Champion!"

I think quite a few people forget that there's an entire format there that has, of yet, not been utilized in any major tournaments....also, based upon what I read about Origins, there aren't any scheduled 2-vs.-2 tournaments there. Without changing the legal cards, or making part of the World Championship a draft with the new set (akin to a prerelease), shifting part of it to 2-vs.-2 seems like a clever way to force experienced players to quickly adapt and think on the fly.

/commence speculation

so i take it that you go 2 on 2 for the entire sunday and then the team thats left goes at it for the championship?? I really dont like the idea as i dont get along with many other people. Knowing my luck i would be put up against a man i dont really like...might i even say that he is on these boards but probably doesnt know who he is. They should instead for day two switch to the real challenge for a player...rochester draft. This is where the real skill is in proving that you have what it takes to win it all. Would love for them to do this instead but i doubt i will get to see it go that way.

...I would not count on it:

-2 vs. 2 has never been used in a sanctioned enviroment.
-There are no rulings for 2 vs. 2.
-PTOs asked to judge have no experience with the format.

It's like going to Origins' Team Play Event. There is no Team Play format and no rulings based on it!
-Phil

Ultimate healer: 2 vs. 2, not team....

GLP: So, so true, but hey, they're still on for that team tournament at Origins anyway! And if they aren't...where's my $16.50?

I kinda meant this thread to be more of a "what if", rather than a "Why it won't"...but oh well...

Back to this old arguement but it would be unfair to not give players a chance to plan for 2 on 2 games. Your scenario sounds like it would be a surprise. This would be an unfair advantage to some players based on how their deck does in 2 vs 2. (when it obviously was built for 1vs 1.) Now that would be an interesting way to shake Worlds up besides changing Modified. I just don't like the surprise part.

Pidgeotto Trainer said:
Back to this old arguement but it would be unfair to not give players a chance to plan for 2 on 2 games. Your scenario sounds like it would be a surprise. This would be an unfair advantage to some players based on how their deck does in 2 vs 2. (when it obviously was built for 1vs 1.) Now that would be an interesting way to shake Worlds up besides changing Modified. I just don't like the surprise part.

Hehe, but I do. ^_^

Although there's a buttload of rules that have to be prepared, there's still a lil in the compendium ex on 2-2 play/rulings. However, I believe they'd have it prepared.

This would be a VERY clever way to shake it up, and for once, you're rewarded for being friendly to people! How cool is that? :D

Last edited:
oops sry im sittin on like 4 hours of sleep in the past 2 days so i kinda got mixed up. Alright well yet again i still disagree with the idea. 2 on 2 has never been used n a tournament and i doubt it would b used here. I myself still think that they should go with rochester draft cuz it really proves wether u can build a deck without help from cards being passed down...or not. i wouldnt mind them doin a 2 on 2 format at such a late notice but it would still not help for preparing a deck. If anything it should be announced that they are goin to do this on the official website. This way people can bring their spare cards so they can build the deck if they can go on to day two.

Back