you played what...? Shaw's Nats Report

Discussion in 'Conventions' started by ShawofMordor, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ShawofMordor

ShawofMordor New Member

Hey,

I had a great time at nats this year. On Thursday after my classes I went to the airport. My flight was delayed for a few hours so I didn't get to the hotel until about 1:30AM.

Friday, I play in the modified tournament and do some trades, say hello to everyone, etc.

Saturday morning I wake up and I need to make a deck. I have the cards for GG and Empoleon, but I can't decide which to use. After a lot of debating I decide to use my Butterfree GE deck. I write up my decklist and go to registration.

Round 1: Gardy Gallade

OK, good test of my deck for the first matchup. I get a fast Butterfree and Cess and she can't do much, she tries to come back but I win.

1-0

Round 2: Blissey/Darkrai

I've never played this one before, so no clue how its going to go. I take a quick first prize and then we go back and forth. In the end I'm looking for a Helix fossil to devolve some of his benched guys for more prizes but it turns out the Helix is my last prize. I think I can still pull it off because I have a fully powered no damage Butterfree but he plays a Wager which I lose and he rips the Boost to do exactly 120 to my Butterfree for the OHKO. With that and without the Helix I can't respond and lose.

1-1

Round 3: Blissey/Electivire (Kim)

Another Blissey...sort of annoying. I have no clue really what to do in this matchup. She got a very fast start and I'm missing the Cessation to stop her Elekids to going to Buzzes so she just keeps going. I fight back for awhile but I get in trouble when her Vire X becomes invincible due to me having a tool in play. It is close but I end up losing this one.

1-2

Round 4: Garchomp

I'm a little worried about this one - I figure its Garchomp when he discards some random Pokemon and Energies with Felicity's. Luckily I get a fast start and KO everything before he can set up. We play again for fun and it goes longer but in the end I Warp Point something with damage to the bench, Omastar it away for a prize and KO his new active for my last prize and win again.

2-2

Round 5: Infernape

Chimcar vs Caterpie, they go first and do 20. I get a bit worried so I try to setup my bench. They KO my Caterpie and I return the KO with a Butterfree. They end up being forced to use a Delcatty ex to do 80 and I do 60 + sleep. Fail on the check so next turn I get two more prizes and then continue to run through them.

3-2

Round 6: Gardy Gallade

I don't remember but I won.

4-2

Round 7: Gardy Gallade (Peter O)

Peter Ortiz is a good friend of mine so I was sad we had to play. I was pretty confident in my GardyGallade matchup through so I was OK about it. We go back and forth for awhile and I lose a Wager and draw three Metapod. I KO something anyway and hope to draw a useful Prize...its a Rare Candy. I have to pass for awhile and try to stall with a Venonat Stun attack. I draw dead and we go into sudden death. With nothing in my hand I lose my first GardyGallade game.

4-3

Round 8: Metagross ex PK

We played for awhile and he was up. He got a game loss for shuffling his hand into his deck for Magnetic Redraw while I had Cess out. I completely forgot about it too and almost had shuffled mine in as well, but my hand was still discernable from the deck when I realized what we were doing. Bad win I'm not too happy about it.

5-3

Round 9: Empoleon (Eric En....you know who I mean)

Hey my first Empoleon of the day. I get a fast KO but he comes back with an Emp I think. We go back and forth for awhile and time ends up being called with us tied 2 prizes each. I don't have much of anything in my hand and I can't get a KO. SAD but it was a great game.

5-4

Sooo I end up 5-4 and annoyed. I really wanted to go 6-3 for the day but it wasn't in the cards. In retrospect I needed a 2nd Strength Charm it would have won me a few games.

Blah blah Sunday I traded and Monday is today.

See you at the Grinder but Butterfree will probably be at home.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. charchar

charchar New Member

nice job. i never though butterfree could do that well. 5-4 is still pretty good. u won more than u lost and u won against some tough match-ups. nice job cya at worlds/grinder.

3. dtrain

dtrain New Member

Shaw my man. GJ. Butterfree 0.o. Looks bulky enough to me :)

4. metalbird

metalbird New Member

Gj shaw lol, you did well with a weird deck that in a round about way worked better than i first expected it too lol. I'll cya sometime either before worlds at worlds gl there!

5. Kemony

Kemony New Member

I was definitely like oh crap when you turn 1 butterfree'd me. Out all of my games Saturday, I can honestly say my deck flowed the best during our game with me getting the cards I needed and such. Great Game though! See you at worlds!

6. Rew

Rew Active Member

thanks forthat Blissy trade =)

7. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

Good stuff Shaw, if I had to play that I would've been so scared lol

8. ShawofMordor

ShawofMordor New Member

w00t

Thanks guys...see you all in Florida.

9. Apache

Apache New Member

I met you in the food court man, good job!

10. jkwarrior

jkwarrior New Member

Nice to finally meet you, Shaw. Props for the Butterfree play!

11. Papi/Manny

Papi/Manny New Member

SHAW!!!!! Muk was the play. lol. Nice job with the butterfly (well...the original one at least).

12. eauxmar

eauxmar New Member

butterfree is so bad :(

nice to meet you (again kinda)