Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Your opinion on Self-Graded cards?

SamusAran28

Hey fellow gym members!

I have recently been thinking about self grading my Pokemon cards. I looked around, and really didn't find much info about it. I have a few questions to ask:

1. What do you guys think about self-grading? Is it really worth your time?

2. Are self graded cards allowed to be traded on the gym? If so, should they not be? If not, should they?

3. Do you think that self graded cards could pull in some money in the future?

I hope to get a few replies to help me make a decision. If anyone has/ currently self graded, what are your thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard of self grading before, I wouldn't feel comfortable forking out any cash to someone who has self graded a card due to people having vastly different ideas on what the definition of mint, good, excellent, near mint etc. means.

The only reason that a graded card has any additional value, aside from the protective case which is valued at cost of grading, is that a professional is doing the grading. They work with thousands of cards every week, have proven their skill, have a general guideline by which to go, and work under a company that has spent many years building up a reputation.

Self grading is literally just the equivalent of giving your opinion of condition. So you won't see any immediate increase in price, it will still need to be accompanied by great photos, and you'll see no extra long-term protection or value appreciation.

So you essentially have two options.

1) You're totally free to fork over the cash to get the cards graded professionally like many, many others do. You'll see returns accordingly.
2) You can save the money and work with ungraded prices, like the majority of people do. This will require good pictures and a solid description.

Bump! Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funmonkey54 is right. Many here wont have interest in self graded cards. Like he said, graded cards have value because they are judged by professionals who get paid to do what they do. Self grading is just saying "my card is in X condition". If you are going to post graded cards on the gym', they must be professionally done.

Back