Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Zapditto's T8 15+ Cedar Grove GC Report

Zapditto

Ok, so this is the only GC I am going to, so I had to do good, or else the next non-prerelease premier event for me is Cities next year. I didn't go out on Friday because I figured it would be good to go to sleep early. Well, I had a real bad stomach ache and didn't get to sleep until 4AM. So I'm really tired and not feeling that great, but I go to the GC anyway. I decided I was going to play LBS a while ago, so I work really hard playtesting and making the best possible list. Each card is important and was well thought out. So here we go:

Round 1: Jhovanni D. - Metanite

I get set up pretty fast and start sniping his bench with my Steelix. I think he KO'd one Steelix, but I was still able to get another one out since I was set up early. GG

1-0

Round 2: Stephen K. - Dragtrode

I played Pokemon from Base-Neo, and then quit and came back around Unseen Forces, so this is my first time playing against Dragtrode. I do horribly and keep drawing things I cannot use, such as energy and Holon's Pokemon. I knew I lost, but just played it out since there was nothing else to do.

1-1

Round 3: Zackary E. - LBS

Mirror match...I've played a lot of mirror matches before, so I was pretty confident. My opponent gets a great setup that I cannot match, to add to it I couldn't draw any energy to rain with.

1-2

At this point I'm pretty mad at the fact that there's pretty much no way of getting top cut now because the best I can do is 3-2...I consider dropping but keep playing just to have fun.

Round 4: Darrell M. - Mynx

I didn't expect to see Mynx today, so naturally I didn't put in my tech against it. My opponent can't manage to get any energy and all he has set up is Wobbuffets. He Pows up some of my bench, but Switches/Warp Points help me out. I get set up and end up countering his Battle Frontiers. I power up a Steelix and start sniping his bench. GG

2-2

Round 5: Caleb J. - LBS

Another mirror match...Both of us seem to get set up, I set up a Steelix and snipe his Pidgeot. He then falls into my trap and uses Latias to KO Steelix. So now he's ahead of prizes. I use my Pow to get his Blastoise up, and then I use Latias to KO his Blastoise. Now he's without Blastoise or Pidgeot, which really hurts. We end up getting really close but I end up winning.

3-2

The person playing Dragtrode went undefeated in Swiss, and the mirror match I lost to went 4-1, so I hear that I made T8. After doing terrible today, I really didn't think I would make T8. I know I'm playing Dragtrode again, but this time I have an idea of how to beat it.

T8:

Round 1: Stephan K. - Dragtrode

Desert Ruins is in play the majority of the game, and I do not ever see a stadium I can use to counter it. My Steelix and Blastoise get destroyed from it, and I lose. Pidgeot doesn't help me because he runs Lunasol.

3-3

Round 2:

I get T1 Pidgeot and get a Stoise and Steelix set up real fast. I start attacking with Steelix and after KO'ing a few Pokemon he scoops because he got a real bad start.

4-3

Round 3:

Ok this is it. The tiebreaker. I get T1 Pidgeot again, but I know Lunasol is right around the corner. I do well and have only 1 prize left. Then things go wrong and I make a ton of misplays. I feel sick, I have a real bad headache and I'm tired. I clutch a Dark Electrode with Pidgeot, he KO's Pidgeot so we're tied on prizes. I have an Onix on the bench with one water on it, so I send it out. If I draw a water or Holon's Pokemon, I win. Well, I don't draw it and I lose. GG

4-4

So the next non-prerelease premier event is Cities next year. At least now I can sell the LBS cards and get some money back.

Props:
-Drew for winning, congrats
-Making T8 in my first shot at a GC
-LBS
-Pulling Blastoise in my POP3 pack and a Mightyena and Rare Candy in the HP packs I got for T8
-A fun event where I got to see a lot of friends
-Stores that are open 24 hrs for us insomniacs

Slops:
-Nintendo for making POP 3 commons taste yucky (they made better confetti than food)
-Me for losing in T8 when I could've won those matches
-Not sleeping or eating and not feeling well during the tournament.
-Benny for placing 9th, sorry man
-Not being able to go to Worlds or Nats
-LBS for being so expensive
-Pulling a third Mightyena ex (anyone want these?)
-Misplays
-Sleep deprivation
-Gas for being $3.00
-Dragtrode
-Me developing insomnia
-Headaches

Zapditto's words of advice:
-Get a good night's rest before a big tournament, it really helps.
-Eat before a big tournament, also helps.
-Even if you do bad in a tournament from the start, don't give up hope.
-Don't eat Pokemon cards, they don't taste good
-Pay attention when playing your matches and stay alert so you don't mess up
-Have fun, it's just a game that happens to have prizes

Thanks for reading my boring, poorly written report.

-Tim

Last edited:
That stinks dude.
I ended up only going to 1 gym too.
I thought I would get to go to 3 but things came up.
Anyway you did good.
gj

gooo timmy, sux you lost top 8 tho... w/e any idea who won or is it still going on?

<---- I won Frankie, Um Sorry Tim To Hear That... :mad:

I hope to see u tomorrow at Denville, If Not See You At League...

GL for Next Yr Tho...

Drew

Timmy, I am happy that you made T8. This shows that you're improving. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the kind words. Even though I did pretty bad, I guess it's not terrible considering I had no idea what people were playing so I had no idea what to tech against. I was also feeling sick to my stomach that day and could barely stay awake, so I'm surprised I was even able to play. I was considering not even going because I wasn't feeling well, but I'm glad I went anyway. I'm still a little mad about losing, but I'll do better next year. Entering the game in the 15+ age group is hard to do, so I guess losing is something that is expected when starting out. Thanks for all the support everyone, and congratulations on your win, Drew.

-Tim E

I cried for you when you didn't clutch his Dragonite.

And then wept some more when you warp pointed the Dragonite away.

But still, T8 is good, good job.

Yeah I didn't notice Draggy's weakness or type. I thought he was dark and lightning. I'm kicking myself for being so stupid.

Last edited:
Tim,
I watched your battle with steve and they are all correct. You did mess up but at the same time u havent been in since unseen forces so you dident know. The good thing is you made T8 whne you dident think you would so alot of congrats and next year hopefully you can win it.

hey gj ,and what a great report!

...yes folks, please don't eat those pokemon cards (especially those pricey ones!) :tongue:

GJ tim YOU DID great in your first gym challenge and your first top 8.now we can practice on apprentice for Next year's citys.and play some Metroid prime Hunters.

Thank you again for all the kind words everyone.

FireFighter095ReBorn said:
Tim,
I watched your battle with steve and they are all correct. You did mess up but at the same time u havent been in since unseen forces so you dident know. The good thing is you made T8 whne you dident think you would so alot of congrats and next year hopefully you can win it.

Thanks Joe, I don't remember how much of our games you saw, but by the time I got to the last game I really started to mess up. Earlier in the game I would do things like, play cards I shouldn't have, forgot to attach energy, attach energy to the wrong Pokemon, ect., and then I made the huge mistake of not clutching the Dragonite. By that point in the day I remember feeling pretty sick. My stomach ache was coming back and I was tired and real nervous. Learning to deal with the pressure of tournaments takes some getting used to. At least I have next year to redeem myself.

ukewoman said:
hey gj ,and what a great report!

...yes folks, please don't eat those pokemon cards (especially those pricey ones!) :tongue:

Yeah I learned that after eating the POP 3 commons after going 1-2. They aren't pricey, but they sure do taste terrible. They make better confetti than food anyway.

Espeonchris14 said:
GJ tim YOU DID great in your first gym challenge and your first top 8.now we can practice on apprentice for Next year's citys.and play some Metroid prime Hunters.

Thanks Chris, yeah we'll have fun playing Metroid. GG..GG..GG..GG.. Maybe Nintendo will come up with some new wi-fi game to play. This summer I'll probably go to your league, so I'll see you then.

Back