PDA

View Full Version : Memphis FR/LG Prerelease Numbers

Prof Clay
08/28/2004, 07:59 PM
WE had our local event today and somehow we managed to have our largest turnout for such an event.

80 people were playing in the event...37 of the were under 10. Pokemon is alive and well in the river city.
The 10- division was the toughest with such competitors from World's as Kevin White, Andrew and Zachary Krekeler, and my own favorite Taylor Mitchell.

Kevin White continued his run of 1st place finishes, making that 4 in a row. Ben Dolan of St Louis won the 15+ division, also continuing an undefeated run in limited play. 11-14 took a 4 way split for 1st place as no one was undefeated and they did not want to risk losing 1/2 a box from tie breakers. A number of 1st time dads made the scene in order to keep busy and help fill out their childs stock of cards. We started play at 11:30 and managed to finish 5 30 minute rounds by 4:00. Meganium45 graciously bought pizza for the masses so no one had to leave and make it back. (which was good because a nasty thunderstorm hit about the same time as the pizza arrived.

I judged the 15+ and Meg45 got to do waht he loves best...judge the 10- piglet division as it has become known around our area. Colin Moll judge the 11-14 group. everything went well all day long.(good thing we were computer free in our pairings because the power went out for a few moments which rebooted the stores.)

Afterwards we had approximately 35 folks stay for the booster draft which went smoothly. Chris Schell (Prof Chris) pulled the victory in the draft.

Next stop.....Memphis City Championships.... we're gonna need a bigger boat.......(or venue)...

Poke_dad

Dragon Lady
08/28/2004, 08:43 PM
Hey man you beat me to it..... I was gonna post it.
Wasn't it great??? Good thing me and Vince sent out those mailers.
and :pokeball: Hey I helped judgeing the 10 and under too. :D
plus SOMEBODY had to go get those 15 pizzas :p

Dragon Lady
08/28/2004, 09:35 PM
Well wait I'll admit it... I didn't help out much in judgeing the 10 and under. Now that I think about it Vince did do most of the initial judging. (( And he does a GREAT job as always.)) :D
Instead, I was running around playing headless chicken, I was mainly making sure that Vince had eveything he needed. Everybody needs a stooge... um assistant :D :D
Not to mention playing crowd control. ;) 80 players is alot of work... Hey lets try for 100 next time!!!

Professor_Chris
08/28/2004, 09:46 PM
Ben Dolan of St Louis won the 15+ division, also continuing an undefeated run in limited play.
Afterwards we had approximately 35 folks stay for the booster draft which went smoothly. Chris Schell (Prof Chris) pulled the victory in the draft.

I think you mean undefeated in sealed limited play. :p I've won the last two after-main-event-pre-release-drafts in Memphis ^.^ HL and FRLG. :D 'Twas truely a great event, [SHAMELESS PLUG]tomorrow's (http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=9934)[/SHAMELESS PLUG] will not nearly as large, but it should be pretty good non-the-less. Maybe this time I won't pull crap for sealed. I swear, the first draft pack I opened had the entire Beedrill line in it. The perfect sealed pack, and I end up opening it in draft. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Dragon Lady
08/28/2004, 11:28 PM
I think you mean undefeated in sealed limited play. :p

You may be right on that one. Pre-Releases are mostly sealed and the side events are draft . But BOTH events are considered limited non the less... and only graded as such in ranking for now. ;)
Maybe they should keep the sealed and draft limited tourny rankings seperate??? Or is it really worth that much trouble??? There's a question for you.

:pokeball: Congrats on all the wins BTW :pokeball:

Prof Clay
08/29/2004, 04:40 AM
Yay!!!...Nitia (Dragon Lady) makes her presence known. Sorry I didn't mention you before. Nitia is the heart and soul of the Memphis league. We wouldn't have what we have if it wasn't for her. You did great. Most of those kids today wouldn't be there if it wasn't for you.

And I was just trying to be fast in the limited comments. No slight intended :p . Chris, we will see you on Sunday again... and I will do something truly exciting during the tournament....GRADE PAPERS... the next :rolleyes: best thing to playing Pokemon

Poke_dad

Ice'Cold
08/29/2004, 07:44 AM
Damn, im expecting around 20 people up in chicago. We so need more players.

ultimate_healer
08/29/2004, 12:39 PM
would hav had 82 if me and my friend had had a ride

Magnor
08/29/2004, 01:45 PM
Wow, I cant wait to move to TN! I would love to participate in tourny's. but sadly, no rides for me right now! Soon I'll be able to make it to Memphis! (Well, as soon as we seel our house!) Can't wait to play in the 11-14 division!

Prof Clay
08/29/2004, 07:32 PM
Come on down Magnor...we need more folks in that age group. Come join Team Slugma!!

Magnor
08/30/2004, 12:56 PM
By the time I get down there Pokemon will be long gone, lol... jk.

meganium45
08/30/2004, 01:26 PM
Chaw, try to get a good night's sleep and everyone beats you to the post!!!

80 yes 80

MAJOR MAJOR PROPS TO: - NITIA as always keeping the game going

I cannot give big enough props to Clay, Colin, Kathy for pitching in (OK, running the show for your divisions), and all of those who helped out just by turning and smiling and saying "hey can you..."

The Schells were, as always the Schells....man you guys are a real asset to this game....for once, look in the mail for a surpise from me!!!!

You have got to love Pokemon coming through with COOL door prizes such as the calculators!!!

Oh, and trivia question...you do not get home from Memphis to St. Louis via Little Rock...Quote "Little Rock, 32 miles, WHAT DO YOU MEAN LITTLE ROCK 32 MILES!!!"

It must just be Karma - we got there cleanly, so we had to mess up getting home (for those who know, we always means me, and I give the blame to noone else, just as I gave the credit to noone else for getting there cleanly)

See you all soon!

Meganium45

Professor_Chris
08/30/2004, 01:43 PM
The Schells were, as always the Schells....man you guys are a real asset to this game....for once, look in the mail for a surpise from me!!!!

Oooooooo~ o_o

Oh, and trivia question...you do not get home from Memphis to St. Louis via Little Rock...Quote "Little Rock, 32 miles, WHAT DO YOU MEAN LITTLE ROCK 32 MILES!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MonkeyMan8889
08/30/2004, 01:47 PM
We had 52 in WA, which I thought was a respectable number until now :P

Prof Clay
08/30/2004, 03:17 PM
A good hint for the future when traveling Vince is to read the signs :rolleyes: :p As you now know, Arkansas looks the same going West as it does going North, so its an easy mistake to make.

swanton1717
08/31/2004, 04:46 AM
Hehe wow what an event. Lots of people, lots of fun. Except for that one kid -_- I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about ;P

Can't wait to come back =)

~Colin

Dragon Lady
08/31/2004, 11:39 AM
would hav had 82 if me and my friend had had a ride

Man that would have been sweet... 82 players :D

Dragon Lady
08/31/2004, 11:41 AM
By the time I get down there Pokemon will be long gone, lol... jk.

:D Not if I can help it..... :D

Dragon Lady
08/31/2004, 11:46 AM
Hehe wow what an event. Lots of people, lots of fun. Except for that one kid -_- I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about ;P

Can't wait to come back =)

~Colin

Yeah it is always that ONE kid....
I thought I would have straightened him out by now....
What do you expect... he was an old Toy R Us gym result due to NOT following the rulz and getting to do WHATEVER you want. LOL :)

Prof Clay
09/01/2004, 08:21 AM
Its amazing how that 1 kid refuses to learn that he is not going to get his way. Almost DQed in 2 tournaments..1 is Memphis, 1 in St. Louis.. and then does tries to lie about a win and gets DQed in Memphis prerelease. I honestly do not understand how his mind works.

meganium45
09/02/2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah, if healer had gotten a ride, then we would have FILLED up the floor!!!

The more I reflect on this event...the more I love it!!!

Where else do you go, but Memphis, to have a HUGE event, with 80 players, 20 parents and spectators, and everyone having a great time....

Story of why I love Memphis....just at lunch, a kid came up to me and said "I misplaced my Clefable EX" Now, you I, and the rest of the world are thinking...a Clefable EX left alone becomes someone else's Clefable EX, right?? WRONG - it was still at the table, where it sat for two rounds!!! Maybe I have been lucky, but I have NEVER had an honesty problem in Memphis.

People always thank me for coming down to run events, but, hate to say it, I would bring my boys down to play in Memphis if I wasn't running the events....you people are just that special to me.

OK, enough sappiness....

The goal for Memphis cities is 100 - yes 100 (OK, anything above 50 will be elite)

If we get over 75 at Memphis Cities...pizza is on me again!!! (OK, not literally, no throwing Pizza at M45, Ultimate Healer, do you hear me??? Dragonite Girl, stop smiling like that, I did not mean it...Colin, do NOT give them any ideas...Moltres423 PUT THAT PIZZA DOWN!!!)

See you on the boards, or, most likely in Memphis!!!

Home the "piglet herd"

M45

Lawman
09/02/2004, 07:08 PM
M45...when is Memphis cities?? I dunno if Alex and I can come over, but would love to see that crowd. Havent been back to Memphis since wife and I graduated law school. PM me w/ the dates. Thx Keith

ultimate_healer
09/02/2004, 07:11 PM
I hear ya loud and clear Vince.......wait wat did u say?? :D

ColdCoates90
09/03/2004, 02:06 PM
Moltres423 PUT THAT PIZZA DOWN!!!Darn, and I was so close too. :D
Thanks again for looking into my VIP kit for me.
Will you be running the Memphis CC?

meganium45
09/03/2004, 05:00 PM
I will there no matter what, and I think Nitia is going to run this one with me as Co-TO. She is a blast, and does a great job, now she will get what she deserves!!!

We are waiting on a date for cities, and then we are going to get a venue that can hold us all!!! (Close by where you are used to going, I promise!!!)

We are going to play a game....how many out of towners can fit in Dragonite Girl's house??? (With the guarantee that one of them will forget their glasses)

M45

Prof Clay
09/04/2004, 12:33 AM
We can fit as many as want to sleep on the floor once the couches are full. I, of course, retain full bed rights as the eldest and homeowner ;) The more the merrier. No bid deal for us....as long as I'm not feeding them.

swanton1717
09/04/2004, 06:48 AM
We can fit as many as want to sleep on the floor once the couches are full. I, of course, retain full bed rights as the eldest and homeowner ;) The more the merrier. No bid deal for us....as long as I'm not feeding them.

I also claim a couch ;P

~Colin