PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on deck building

Haunted
06/11/2009, 07:51 AM
Hey all, I'm new to these forums been enjoying some of the discussion here and I'm fairly new to the pokémon tcg.

My question is can you construct a deck made of cards from different generations; what I mean by that is for example could you play the Mewtwo from the very first series of cards with a mewtwo from the Diamond & Pearl set? Same goes for trainers and such?

PokePop
06/11/2009, 08:09 AM
Sure, that's completely allowed by the game rules.
In fact, for some Pokemon, you need to use cards from different sets because you don't have the matching card in the same set.

Now, that's the game rules.

For tournaments, there are additional rules, so you have to know what format your tournament is using.
Same for Leagues. Some allow all cards, some only allow certain formats.

There are two main formats:
Unlimited: All cards from all sets are allowed. Some league allow this. Some allow it, but encourage players to move their decks over to Modified as they get access to newer cards. Some local tournaments are run in this format.
Note that it is horribly broken and there are decks that can win turn one each game.

Modified: This format has a rotation where older sets are rotated out about once per year. It is made up of the sets from within the past two years or so. Currently it consists of all sets and cards released since Diamond & Pearl.
They have already announced that next years format will not rotate out any sets, so it will stay Diamond & Pearl - on.

Also, older cards that have been reprinted in newer sets are also legal.
Here's a list of all currently legal cards for Modified: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41415