PDA

View Full Version : possiblity of absol coming back?

L00p_H01eS
01/10/2010, 11:12 AM
i have not been playing for 3 to 4 seasons now.
as i read about the current metagame, it seems that SP decks are sweeping which inludes
exceptional amount of trainers. does that mean the absol (baleful wind) might be a surprising counter to SP decks?

mrdraz07
01/10/2010, 11:18 AM
Well...Absol SW has kinda low HP, and they start really fast, so I doubt it's as useful as it was during 08. You'll be lucky to pull off one Baleful before they take a prize.
Baleful Wind is really really good tho. If u can rip a Turn, Spray or Cyrus from their hand I'm sure they won't be too pleased.

Kayle
01/10/2010, 11:25 AM
It might be kinda funny if you could get Cyrus and then Spray, but other than that, they'd have to have a pretty miserable start for Absol to live long.

Mewtral
01/10/2010, 11:36 AM
Haha, so its basic. Not that bad everybody. Just do little things to raise it's hp, also dark adds to it!
Ppl forget sometimes about snowpoint temple; then give it expertbelt (at ur own risk) giving it a total of 40 more hp. just try to find simple things.

baby mario
01/10/2010, 12:00 PM
It seems hard to believe now but before Claydol came out there were 'OMG BAN ABSOL NOW!!!!1shiftone!!1' threads on the Gym. It was THAT good.

People were complaining that T1 Absol wrecked their chances of even playing a proper game, regardless of how elite their deck and playing skills were (sounds familiar?).

Hand destruction lost a lot of its effectiveness when Claydol and Uxie came along and turned a low hand size into an opportunity to draw more cards.

A T1 Absol can still cause hurt if an opponent has a bad hand and/or you get lucky, but that's exactly the problem . . . you are relying even more on luck than usual. Why leave it to chance to pitch a couple of Trainers when you can guarantee a Trainer Lock with Spiritomb, or attach Call and get your own deck working?

Expert Belt and Snowpoint means investing a lot of support (and 2 Prizes) in a card that might not even work for you.

mrdraz07
01/10/2010, 12:17 PM
I have a feeling Absol will have a place in the format soon tho. It's getting pretty easy to stop Claydol or Uxie shenanigans, and the number of broken trainers in Modified is rising as each HGSS-block set comes out.
Sadly u'll only have 2 more new sets to use Absol then he gets rotated into the abyss.

Rogue Archetype
01/10/2010, 01:05 PM
It seems hard to believe now but before Claydol came out there were 'OMG BAN ABSOL NOW!!!!1shiftone!!1' threads on the Gym. It was THAT good.

People were complaining that T1 Absol wrecked their chances of even playing a proper game, regardless of how elite their deck and playing skills were (sounds familiar?).

Hand destruction lost a lot of its effectiveness when Claydol and Uxie came along and turned a low hand size into an opportunity to draw more cards.

A T1 Absol can still cause hurt if an opponent has a bad hand and/or you get lucky, but that's exactly the problem . . . you are relying even more on luck than usual. Why leave it to chance to pitch a couple of Trainers when you can guarantee a Trainer Lock with Spiritomb, or attach Call and get your own deck working?

Expert Belt and Snowpoint means investing a lot of support (and 2 Prizes) in a card that might not even work for you.

That's really good insight.
baby mario = 1 Guru Point

The thing about Absol is....
I don't like to start with it because it doesn't do damage and just allows my opponent to setup.
However ....
I HATE seeing the opponent start an Absol because I want my cards !!! ( :lol: )

So, it's like Ramparados, you wouldn't dare try it, but you don't want to see it across the table either! ( :lol: )