PDA

View Full Version : Niles IL City Champs RESULTS UP

Ice'Cold
11/15/2004, 09:03 AM
EDITED: Ok for all of you who were asking, yes there *probably* will be a city championships at pastimes. Nothing for sure, the details are still being worked out. As soon as I hear anything, I will post it here. Until then,

~Ice

Info now up! For directions and info on the store visit http://www.pastimes.net (http://www.pastimes.net/) Please note that this event will probably not be listed on the website.
Cost: FREE
Player Limit: Unlimited (I think pastimes has room for 400 something people, so you can be sure as long as you are on time you wont be turned away)
Time: Registration will start around 11:30 The actual event will start at noon, once everyone is registered. To help speed up your registration have your decklist premade, as they will be required. Also a note from me, if you have attended tournaments in the past we have been a bit harsh on enforcing penalties for game and procedural errors (such as decklists) In light of new rules (such as those reviewed in "spirit of the game" new penalties will be adjusted accordingly. Please still take time to fill out your decklists as accurately as possible. If there are any questions, feel free to ask them here or email me through the link. Thanks

~Ice

PokeWisconsin
11/15/2004, 12:40 PM
I'm actually considering a pastimes CC. Get us the info as soon as you can.

Dek
11/15/2004, 01:28 PM
PLEASE!!!111!!

We must have a City Championship at Niles. I beg of you.

ST Pika
11/15/2004, 01:30 PM
I hope you get to have a CC, a good date for that would have been the previously mentioned 12/11. Hope you can find out soon.

Dek
11/15/2004, 01:36 PM
No. Not the 11th. I gotta re-take my ACTs that day.

kingkyle3
11/15/2004, 01:56 PM
I hope we have one as well. I hope you can get the details fast so, we can plan ahead with the holiday season coming up!

BTW, Is there a date for league yet?

soslowpoke
11/15/2004, 03:59 PM
...guys, we cant schedule somethign to accomodate one person.

It will be in January because there is basically not a free weekend at all before then to run this thing.

Think 1st or 2nd weekend in January (saturday) NOT the same day as the Crystal Lake one, we can tell you that much :)

yoshi1001
11/15/2004, 04:05 PM
The 9th would be a bad day, as well. ;)

CHARIZARD MASTERTRAINER
11/15/2004, 05:07 PM
Ok .....

Well can I make one suggestion...please make it the earliest of Jan. as possible, with the exception of it conflicting with the Cystal Lake date. Alot people wanna not have to deal with school and the tourneys at the same time....so having the tourney at an early time can ensure that no one has to deal with any major homework or project because schools just started. Am I making myself clear??

See ya

ST Pika
11/15/2004, 08:32 PM
Well, if you guys do it on 1/2 or 1/8, I will be visiting Collinsville IL (Dizzy Dugout) and St. Louis MO (Dragon King), respectively. I've been itching to go back down to the St. Louis area and playing the people down there again, and the owner of Dizzy and Vince are cool people who run really good tourney's. I guess it's time for Plan B on 12/11.

Ice'Cold
11/16/2004, 04:43 AM
Relax everyone, the date is being worked out, let me take care of that.

AXE
11/16/2004, 07:27 PM
Ill be there if there isnt another cc going on any where else in the midwest.

Ice'Cold
11/16/2004, 08:09 PM
Theres alot of em going on, one this sunday I believe, also the weekend after thanksgiving is the MI city champs, ill send you the list if you'd like axe. There arent really any other ones close to us besides WI and the dizzy dugout one.

PokeWisconsin
11/16/2004, 08:26 PM
Has anyone ever been to a dizzy dugout tournament? How are they?

dld4a
11/17/2004, 02:36 AM
Has anyone ever been to a dizzy dugout tournament? How are they?

I believe that one of Meg45's places. If so it'll be great, bet on it!

ST Pika
11/17/2004, 05:26 AM
I was down in Collinsville on my way back from Kansas City, KS about 2 months ago. I attended a league session there, not a tournament. The store was very nice, the league was well run, and the owner was a cool guy. I believe that Vince would be running it, so I believe it would be a nice tournament. I'm going down there for sure, no one else is going with me so far... but arrangements can be made...

bullados
11/17/2004, 05:27 AM
Ice: there's also Rockford and CL, both w/in an hr or 2 of my place, which isn't that far (but AXE already knows bout CL)

meganium45
11/17/2004, 10:26 AM
Sorry guys, Vince is not running the Dizzy Dugout events, but Mike from Dizzy's is! I will be there, playing, so it will be a chance to come and hang.

Dizzys runs good events, and they are always a lot of fun.

I will be running my Gathering Ground event the next Saturday (1/8) which is within 20 minutes of Dizzy's (which is on Sunday 1/2)

My first event is the Dragon King City champ on November 27th...can't wait for that!

Talk to you all soon!

Vince

Ice'Cold
11/17/2004, 04:42 PM
As you can see the Niles City Champs is now scheduled for the 9th of January (yes I realise it is the same date as Rockford) but due to scheduling conflicts there simply wasnt much of a choice as to when to have this. It will be nice, you can have Niles CC that week, and then the next will be Crystal Lake CC, both of which I will be able to judge.

kingkyle3
11/19/2004, 05:41 PM
9th of January sounds good.

ST Pika
11/20/2004, 04:42 AM
As you can see in my signature, not sure what my plans are for that weekend, it's too far ahead.

Ice'Cold
11/22/2004, 12:29 PM
Yup, lots of city champs to go to.

PokeWisconsin
12/14/2004, 02:50 PM
Well doesn't look like I'm going to GB or Manitowoc but I'll keep this one in mind. Yoshi is the same day so hopefully there will be a good turnout for this one.

bullados
12/15/2004, 05:47 AM
We already know that David Coleman (both) are going to Rockford, so this would be the perfect time to come around and steal one from under their collective noses...

Seriously, though. We need more people at this one than we had at the pre if Pastimes is going to keep doing Pokemon tourneys, especially with Hobbytown moving in on this territory...

Dek
12/15/2004, 01:36 PM
--EDIT--

Just found out I will be busy that day...
*grumble grumble*

Oh well...i really won't affect the tournament much :lol:

dld4a
12/15/2004, 01:38 PM
We already know that David Coleman (both) are going to Rockford, so this would be the perfect time to come around and steal one from under their collective noses...

Seriously, though. We need more people at this one than we had at the pre if Pastimes is going to keep doing Pokemon tourneys, especially with Hobbytown moving in on this territory...

Funny Ryan :D

But seriously there's plenty of room for all of us TO's including the new thing that looks like it's starting up on the south side, especially if some others start doing some things to attract new players insteand of just sitting back and trying to rake in the money. *coughAllencough*

Ice'Cold
12/15/2004, 03:24 PM
Ill make sure we have a good tournament that runs smoothly. I will attempt to get POP software on my personal computer to make it easier on everyone.

soslowpoke
12/15/2004, 03:58 PM
Oh goodness if Alan were attempting to make money off of Pokemon I don't think he'd get very far based on our attendance.

See you all on the 9th and 16th (or is it 15th?..whichever one :))

AXE
12/15/2004, 07:09 PM
I hate to say it but i think Pastimes is dying pokemon wise.
Lets look on the bright sidwe though if it does die there maybe my dad will get the big tournys instead of Alan. Which would be really nice. For all of us

CHARIZARD MASTERTRAINER
12/15/2004, 08:46 PM
Yea.....it would be nice....of course you'd benefit more wouldn't you......lol

See ya

dld4a
12/16/2004, 02:45 AM
Yea.....it would be nice....of course you'd benefit more wouldn't you......lol

See ya

Well I'll be covering my time a little, but I'd like to challenge Allen to put as much back into the game as I will be (in prize support and judge support). I'm in it for the game not the money, but I do have to justify my time away from my wife a little. Do you think he would ever run a five dollar tourney in which every entrant gets a booster and for lets say a 16 person tournament the winner gets 7 more boosters the second place gets 6 more boosters and the third place gets 5 more boosters.

Edit: BTW I think if he would do this it would help grow the game in the long run and in turn help the over all sales. Get the people in the store and they will generally end up spending money.
Edit #2: BTW again, I don't think Pokemon at Past Times has to be dead. It is in a heavily populated area and he has a large store. He just needs to get the people in the area back into it. I think he's more into the much larger MTG and other tourneys than trying to re-grow Pokemon though (there is no immediate money in it)

Dave II

AXE
12/16/2004, 03:29 PM

Yea but dont forget Jimmy is going to be at Niles. Have Fun with that! LOL

bullados
12/17/2004, 05:39 AM
Doesn't matter, my best deck is reduced to scrub with the new erratas... Why do they have to screw over one of the few healing cards in the format, especially at the expense of my deck? Oh well, time to start outfitting with Potions and Berrys (this is gonna blow hard)

Ice'Cold
12/20/2004, 07:16 AM
They didnt screw it over, the whole concept of your deck was based around a card that they screwed up in the first place to make it way stronger than it was supposed to be.

ST Pika
12/20/2004, 10:19 AM
Well, I'll be going to Niles for sure now, it'll save gas and time- and after going down to St. Louis the day before hand, I don't want to push it.

SLOW DECK
01/04/2005, 10:46 AM
Quinn and I plan on heading east, Rather than west on Sunday to Niles.

Who else is planning to be there?

tink
01/04/2005, 02:29 PM
im planning on being there, with a friend or two.

Ice'Cold
01/04/2005, 05:43 PM
Well you have two choices, a large magic store with plenty to do and buy, or the north suburban womens club... (no offence yoshi, I just had to say something about it)

Fantine
01/04/2005, 08:30 PM
Its only being at the Womens club because it can hold alot of people. Because we had so much people complaining about not entering the prerelease we had to go to something bigger. I went to the Niles Gym Challenge last year and it was a very unpleasant time. The people running it are mean and its just got a cold environment. Very unpleasant. Tomorrow is Yesterday has a more cheerful atmosphere. Much better if you ask me. Ive been silent through all this bashing of it and im about ready to explode with it.

Kevin

CHARIZARD MASTERTRAINER
01/05/2005, 02:40 AM
Hey all,

Just on a side bar.....anyone going to the Niles CC gonna have any pidgeot's to trade or at least to borrow. Its just in case i end up not having them in time. PM me if you would like to help.

Thanks

Ice'Cold
01/05/2005, 06:02 PM
I will see if I can get ahold of them for you this saturday.

ST Pika
01/05/2005, 07:38 PM
Since this will be my first CC in over a month, I'm ready to go on this one. Less then 4 days to go!

laritung
01/08/2005, 07:27 PM
Troy and I will be there

CHARIZARD MASTERTRAINER
01/08/2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks Ice' Cold,

Appreciate the help, but i ended up getting the cards in time lol. Thanks again, glad to know there are people that can help whenever they can. Hope to see you all there!!!!

See ya

PokeWisconsin
01/08/2005, 09:00 PM

Dave will probably be at Niles if he decides to play. I would go to Patimes if I knew the tournament was going to handled by a good PTO and compotent judges, and I have heard that Ice has been doing a good job.

ST Pika
01/09/2005, 06:05 AM
See you all there, make sure and get my newest fake card, the "Jigglypuff from H---"

bullados
01/09/2005, 06:52 AM
Dave has stated that he's going to Rockford, so I'd be surprised if he (they) show up at Pastimes...

menoknow
01/09/2005, 09:17 AM
Dave III said he's temporary retiring, so I doubt anybody will see him at any more CC's this month, unless things changed and he's unretired.

Ice'Cold
01/09/2005, 05:19 PM
Okay here are the results and overview of the tournament.
We started out with 18 people
6 in the 10-
3 in the 11-14
9 in the 15+

We had one drop in the 10-. There were alot of errors due to computer, and a longish delay after round 5 was over. The computer screwed up the only thing that fixed it was having to re-enter all of the results data again, that is what took so long. There was no cut to top 2 because no age group had 8 or more people, and also at the end of 5 rounds there was a clear winner (on points) after round 5. That said, here are the results.

10-
1. James Ballard
2. Quinn Downs
3. Troy Zwolinski
4. Jason Downs
5. Nick Needham

11-14
1.Chelsey Ballard
2. Jeffrey Vernola
3. Joe Christman

15+
1. Cory Goff
2. Jimmy Ballard
3. Jonathan Bagshaw
4. Larry Zwolinski
5. Rob Downs
6. Ryan Alperstein
7. Abraham Morales
8. Jason Emergy
9. Bryan Nalozay

Any questions feel free to ask. The date for the EX Deoxys prerelease is up (2/13/05). Pokemon will be the only thing going on in the entire store, so I hope we can have maximum attendance. See you all there!

SLOW DECK
01/09/2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the Tourney. Stuff Happens with computers.

We had fun! To bad Rockford had the same day or there would have been over double the attendence.

Rulemaster
01/09/2005, 08:33 PM
congrats winners. anyone know what cory played?

SLOW DECK
01/09/2005, 09:34 PM
Xatu-Dark Ampy-Pidgeot-ATM-Rock Deck.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13928

Cory wasn't original. I believe Jimmy B called it the "Net Deck".

Cory did well with it (give me a L), props to Cory :clap: and again to Colin. :thumb: Nice deck.

Note though that Jimmy B only lost was to his son James, (which he essentially forfiet) Cory was 5-0, Jimmy B was 4-1. There was no playoff because we didn't have enough for 15+.

meganium45
01/10/2005, 07:14 AM
One word....computers....everyone know my opinion on that...

M45

cursedinfinity
01/10/2005, 07:35 AM
Hey I just wanted to say thanks to Colin who helped me with my deck that took 1st place at pastimes. When TRR was released I looked for something that I could combo that dk Amphy with but never found it and gave up looking for it. After playin Colin (first round) at the St. Louis CC event I knew right then and there that he had something there. I knew he was going to take place that day. If it wasn't for him I might not have won at the Niles CC. Thanks again Colin!

I also want to say great job to all players and hope to see you guys at the Crystal Lake CC
"Let's Go Team Chicago!"

-Cory aka N-Finite

meganium45
01/10/2005, 09:04 AM
Net deck? Colin's Deck?

You have to be kidding.

How can you accuse something of being a net deck that someone JUST SAW the day before the event!!!

This is not a deck that was all over the net, that copies have been springing up everywhere unchanged....

Yeah, it was not his idea...but Jimmy should have appreciated the originality.

Jimmy certainly knew that he could not handle this one (again) and oddly, looks like he was not given the chance to try ... odd computer pairings not pairing the UNDEFEATED 15+ with the UNDEFEATED 15+, yet forcing Jimmy to battle his son (who is a 10-...kind of obscene)

I have had to battle my son before, but it was when we were the LAST undefeated players left standing, so OK...

Hey, but we always do what the computer tells us to...right???

Vince

SLOW DECK
01/10/2005, 11:01 AM
Jimmy got match with James in Round 2 or 3, I believe, they were both without a loss at the time. I don't think it was that big deal to him. Anyhow, looking forward to next week-end.

meganium45
01/10/2005, 11:14 AM
Next weekend, Crystal City...will be in a word...fun.

Let's see who wins the Chicago City Championhip...

BWHAHAHAHAHA.

Hey, don't worry...2 of the "invaders" from St. Louis have 1900 + ratings and 3 of us do not!!!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA.

M45

bullados
01/10/2005, 01:07 PM
Just as long as Wisconsin doesn't T4 anywhere on the board...

meganium45
01/10/2005, 01:59 PM
Ryan, I don't think Wisconsin is who you should be worried about LOL.

M45

soslowpoke
01/10/2005, 04:06 PM
Wait Chicago doesnt have a City Championship...I thought it was in Crystal Lake next week?

meganium45
01/10/2005, 04:09 PM
Chicago/Crystal Lake pffft....

Same thing.

I know, I know, the Rockford, IL guys will claim theirs was the real Chicago CC too!!!

See you on Sunday.

M45

Pooka
01/10/2005, 05:03 PM
You guys are getting pretty cocky, huh? =P

Anyway, looks like I'm going for sure now. See you guys on Sunday. :smile:

CHARIZARD MASTERTRAINER
01/10/2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah Pooka.....

I think we might need to hit them where it hurts.....literally...lol...jk. We will be getting some of our fellow team members, and we hope to have some fun on your expense...lol....jk.

See ya

ST Pika
01/10/2005, 11:43 PM
It was certainly an interesting tournament, seen some real original decks out there. Props to Rob Downs for that deck of his, he got it set up and really stunned me at the end. Props to Cory and all those who traded with me, got some cards I really needed, I am very close to completing all the Nintendo card sets, both reverse and regular.

Thanks to Jimmy for trading me that binder that comes in the winners bag, at least I will have one even if I don't win in one of the next 5 CC's that are out there. About the only thing I have to complain about is that I had to work the night before hand, get no sleep and then come in and play, then sleep for 3 hours and go to work again. That really stunk... and I know being tired affect my performance in at least 2 of the 5 matches.

Despite the computer problems, I think the event was run pretty well. I have 3 rules I follow when I go to anything higher then a local league, and I broke 1 and couldn't do anything about the 2nd.

1. Always change/tweak the deck- even your friends should be surprised at something new that they see. (It seems like a new deck everytime to some of my opponents, especially if it's been a while)

2. Get enough sleep. (My work is to blame for that one, can't control that, they needed me in desperately)

3. Even for friends, don't let them take back an attack or change what was placed. To elaborate: When you let go of a card, it's down. That energy, trainer, pokemon, etc. is now in play and cannot go back. If you attack me and then realize that you forgot stadium X was in play, I'm sorry, you can't go back and move more energy to your attacking pokemon.

I let that happen in one game, and I know it cost me that match, I drew the evolution next turn for that card, and that card would have healed itself and knocked out one of his pokemon. This is higher level competition- one should not expect your opponent to be generous, especially in 15+

This CC made me realize that I need to focus and not be swayed, if it happens again, I will simply call the judge and let he or she take care of it. That's why we have time to shuffle, time to play out our turn, etc.- so you know what you're doing when you say X is attacking Y...

I enjoy visiting different places, meeting new people, giving out my fake cards and making trades. But when you get me on the battle floor, don't expect any mercy... people have taken advantage of my good nature too many times since I came back into the game in August after a year's hiatus in Alaska. There will be no more shucking, jiving, or playing around... ST Pika is back in black and ready to surprise the midwest and beyond...

Ice'Cold
01/12/2005, 05:45 PM
This will be a nice test of skill, and for the reacord jimmy played a dark amphy/medicham variant which I assume he wanted to ko some dark amphys with.