PDA

View Full Version : Chompmix

DEADRUKI
12/25/2010, 02:05 AM
This might be weird but I am a pretty new player and have only been playing for about a month to a month and a half. Some people at my local Pokemon League are skeptical to how long I have been playing due to my deck build. Honestly I am switching from MTG to Pokemon. I am tired of Magic's expense and need a competitive card game to still occupy my thirst for collecting, trading, and playing. So after some talk with friends and girlfriend I came across the very fun and interesting Pokemon TCG. Being so competitive I immediately started researching what the competitive life is like for Pokemon. So I started building with the knowledge that I had gathered and came up with an OK deck idea. Last week when I went to my first Pokemon League I was playing a deck using my favorite Pokemon (Darkrai) in a Darkrai G/Garchomp CX deck. Obviously any real competitive player will realize how that deck is MAYBE semi-competitive but that's pretty far fetched. I did well against some of the weaker decks, but found myself getting smashed by Gyarados and Vilegar. With that I decided to drop my favorite Pokemon and tech my deck a different and possibly more interesting route, but keeping the SP theme.

2-2 Garchomp C X
2-1 Dialga G X
1-1 Blaziken FB X
2 Uxie LA (Don't have the money or trade for LV. X)
1 Azelf LA
1 Bronzong G
1 Unown q
2 Crowbat G
1 Honchkrow G

4 Cyrus's Conspiracy
4 SP Radar
4 Energy Gain
4 Poke-turn
2 Power Spray
1 Seeker
1 Aaron's Collection
3 Pokemon Collector
1 Luxury Ball
2 Energy Exchanger
2 Bebe's Search
2 VS Seeker

1 Warp Energy (I only have 1..)
2 Fire Energy
2 Metal Energy
4 Special Metal Energy
4 Double Colorless

So far in testing it has been very interesting. I am not sure though if going this route is smart or if I am just basically being noob-ish with flashy cards? I really would like some constructive criticism as I am still slightly a new player trying to adapt to new strategies and deck building skills.
I apologize for the long read but the help would be useful.
Thank you. :)

amphachu
12/25/2010, 03:04 AM
For being a new player, this actually looks like a pretty solid Dialgachomp build. My suggestions for you would be to drop the Honchkrow G for another Dialga G. Also, you can afford to drop 2 SP Radar and 1 Seeker for another Power Spray and 2 Junk Arm. I understand that you are new to the game and don't have access to much, but ask around at league, and become friends with a bunch of people to where they trust you enough to let you borrow cards for tournaments. I say this because Uxie Lv.X us pretty important, but you night be able to borrow one from someone for a tournament. Good luck with your deck man, and welcome to Pokemon!

DEADRUKI
12/25/2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks a ton for your response and I will be able to try your suggestion minus the power spray. I would be running more if I had more. I'll probably try and see if I can trade for them. I am wondering about the Junk Arms though. Probably coming from a different card game discarding is not the easiest thing for my mind to wrap around so I am slightly failing to see the strategy in this card. I like it's trainer pick up but I am not sure what would really be capable of being discarded and what would be most beneficial to pick up(which I am sure this choice would be more depending on game state).

Organic
12/26/2010, 11:02 AM
You would junkarm for either: PokeTurn (pick up that sp and re-lay it for a garchomp heal for instance)
or Luxury Ball, Or Pokemon Communication for a pokemon if really needed I'd say?
just depends on the situation though