PDA

View Full Version : Butterfree - What Goes Well with It?

PokemonJohn
01/14/2005, 07:55 AM
I've read some threads about Butterfree decks, and I also started one. Does anyone have any ideas about what goes well with Butterfree to help it compete at tournament level?

Does Butterfree simply lack the necessary hit points because of many decks having heavy hitters dishing out 100+ damage per attack? Does one's Stage 2 Pokémon need to have more than 100 hit points, and anything less than 100 HP should just be a Stage 1 or Basic supporter, not the main attacker?

I'm looking for a way to use our Butterfree cards, but I am concerned it just might not have enough strength for a Stage 2 card. Of course, I don't know enough about the game to make an informed decision, and I greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

Tagrineth
01/14/2005, 12:38 PM
It isn't about decks needing to have more than some level of HP on their main fighting lines...

The issue lies in Butterfree lacking speed and relying on its healing.

It isn't a fast deck by any means. Against decks that can't KO Butterfree in one hit (Gengar ex, for example), it's a lot of fun, because the opponent simply can't take any prizes against you. Those little bugs just never die...

But in a tournament environment, Butterfree's attacks are too weak to give it any speed advantage. If it's against an OHKO-heavy deck like Blaze, Stoise, or Monarchy (with Magnetic Storm or Beautifly in play), the Butterfree won't be able to deal enough damage before dying, and a dead butterfree can't be healed.

It's a very amusing deck, but really not worth taking to a tournament, unfortunately.

See my signature for my own design.

Usually 'Free is paired with Slowbro so you can spread damage out and off the Butterfree, and I used Sandslash to cover the Lightning weakness.

PokemonJohn
01/14/2005, 04:36 PM
Thank you, Tagrineth.