PDA

View Full Version : New Fossil mechanic revealed

Akane
07/01/2011, 02:03 AM
Link to PokéBeach article (http://pokebeach.com/2011/07/carracosta-cover-fossil-revealed-from-red-collection-fossil-mechanic-explained)

"Revived Pokémon" are now placed on the Bench with a Trainer-Item card effect. Is this a positive or negative thing?

Bloodbane
07/01/2011, 02:18 AM
Very positive, now we do not have to fear that evolution-decks are compeltely dead because of that other fossil. People, the domesday has been postponed. SOme time.

Nintendan
07/01/2011, 02:34 AM
This is very interesting. Doesn't put the fossil at risk like before. I would say positive. Though it still has it's cons, Trainer lock will still prevent these from even touching the playmat.

ShuckleLVX
07/01/2011, 02:36 AM
Fossils needed some way to be easier to play, not harder or luck based.

Regis_Neo
07/01/2011, 02:41 AM
Right...they made them even harder to play; pro move I think not. I'm sure someone will run the math somewhere, but the chance of getting the right Basic in your top 7 cards isn't exactly that great, unless you thinned out your deck quite a bit...at any rate, certainly kills any ideals of Archeops tech in decks.

IMO, they should have still left the HP on the Trainer so it can be played as a Basic still, but with the text to help search out the evo within 7 cards; now that would have been far more effective, as even if you whiff on the effect, at least it's still sitting on your bench and you can just evolve into it when you search out the right evo, or Candy it. But now, if you don't get lucky within the top 7 cards, you pretty much wasted it. Not to mention, think of how the heck you're supposed to build this; you can whiff on 3/4 trainers potentially and maybe get one out, leaving you with 2-3 dead copies of the revived and evolved form in your deck, so unless you have your Junk Arms prepared...

So yeah...fossils continue to fail. Just give up on the crap mechanic and make the one form a Basic, the other a Stage 1, no lame Trainers. No fossil yet besides Aerodactyl all the way from Fossil has been even remotely competitive, let alone playable, and with these new rules I don't see Archeops becoming anything more than a fanciful idea. Unless they seriously decide to give fossils powers comparable with Prime, Legend, or EX cards, they're still not worth the effort to get out and use.

Jason
07/01/2011, 03:05 AM
Strange cave return at some time in the future, hopes ayone?

Sir Bidoof
07/01/2011, 03:06 AM
The new fossils look almost overpowered. i'm actually glad for once that fossils are hard to get out. archeops would pretty much destroy evolution decks if it was as easy to get out as a normal pokemon.

PokePop
07/01/2011, 04:41 AM
Pokemon Catcher has already destroyed evolution decks.
Some people just haven't realized it yet.

EeveeLover
07/01/2011, 05:39 AM
I thought Catcher destroyed all of Pokemon forever... :rolleyes:

Rainbowgym
07/01/2011, 06:21 AM
Catcher destroys all fun and skill, why even try to make a stage2 deck.

treyh37
07/01/2011, 06:25 AM
interesting though i think they should've added to the fossil card that if you have the basic in your hand you can play it that way as well, hopefully they'll add other ways to pull the basic to your bench like a new version of fossil excavator or mysterious fossil.

this also brings up the fact tirtouga is listed as a revived poke and not a basic, and i assume it will also be considered an unevolved poke.

course this also makes tirtouga/archen as obvious choices when using cards like poke communication as the one to put back

Elite_4_Allen
07/01/2011, 06:48 AM
I think fossils will still be playable, considering the stage 1's (or stage 2's I guess) are almost overpowered...

StormFront
07/01/2011, 07:35 AM
Wow, what a horrible mechanic for getting out a fossil card. The only reliable way I can see to get out a fossil out is to run something like 3 Archen, 3 fossil, 4 research records and maybe even pokédex. Good luck getting a fossil when you could be trainer locked or catchered the turn after you play it down.

Tash
07/01/2011, 08:31 AM
Wow, what a horrible mechanic for getting out a fossil card. The only reliable way I can see to get out a fossil out is to run something like 3 Archen, 3 fossil, 4 research records and maybe even pokédex. Good luck getting a fossil when you could be trainer locked or catchered the turn after you play it down.
You'd also need 4 Pokemon Communication, so that you can put them back into your deck if you draw them. Cards like Cleffa have a high risk of re-drawing them.

Rikko145
07/01/2011, 08:46 AM
Archeops is dead = Happy Panda. :biggrin:
Ancient Turtle-Tank-Thing is mostly unplayable = Sad Panda :frown:

eriknance
07/01/2011, 09:00 AM
Nobody here knows how to think outside of the box. I for one think the Archeops is quite playable. @_@

thisguy
07/01/2011, 09:04 AM
Right...they made them even harder to play; pro move I think not. I'm sure someone will run the math somewhere, but the chance of getting the right Basic in your top 7 cards isn't exactly that great, unless you thinned out your deck quite a bit...at any rate, certainly kills any ideals of Archeops tech in decks.

Archeops being easy enough to set up to be a tech in anything is a bad idea, that just helps the high HP basics even more, this way is a lot better, decks have to have a strong emphasis on fossils for it to work. There are quite a few possibility's with the fossil Pokemon (both of their ability's are awesome) and it'll be cool to see how they end up fitting into the metagame and if they make an impact. As above posters have mentioned, cards like Research Records can make this work.

Ancient Turtle-Tank-Thing is mostly unplayable = Sad Panda :frown:
Yeah I suppose having a type advantage over 3 huge metagame threats (Donphan, Reshiram and Emboar) and not being weak to lightning (uh-oh Zekrom and Megnezone) whilst having an ability that can turn the tide of the game on a coin flip (completely messes with Magnezone going for 1HKO with Lost Burn and Zekrom/Reshiram with their respective attacks and 2 Pluspowers) is grounds for making a Pokemon unplayable.

I cannot wait to play with these cards.

Team Rockets Assassin
07/01/2011, 09:04 AM
catcher will be out before fall battle roads, if you're not playing the rest of this season, sell your magneboar stuff because it won't be seen this time next year

jeffrey123
07/01/2011, 09:30 AM
fossils are stil unplayable

espeon200
07/01/2011, 09:52 AM
I honestly think that the new fossil mechanic is very balanced. Archeops is an amazingly powerful Pokemon that would be broken if Rare Candy were usable on it. Making it a stage one and introducing the new mechanic is a definite check on the card. I do think that this could combo really well with Zekrom. I know I want to play it already, and it's 2-3 sets out for us yet.

Rikko145
07/01/2011, 10:24 AM
Archeops being easy enough to set up to be a tech in anything is a bad idea, that just helps the high HP basics even more, this way is a lot better, decks have to have a strong emphasis on fossils for it to work. There are quite a few possibility's with the fossil Pokemon (both of their ability's are awesome) and it'll be cool to see how they end up fitting into the metagame and if they make an impact. As above posters have mentioned, cards like Research Records can make this work.

Yeah I suppose having a type advantage over 3 huge metagame threats (Donphan, Reshiram and Emboar) and not being weak to lightning (uh-oh Zekrom and Megnezone) whilst having an ability that can turn the tide of the game on a coin flip (completely messes with Magnezone going for 1HKO with Lost Burn and Zekrom/Reshiram with their respective attacks and 2 Pluspowers) is grounds for making a Pokemon unplayable.

I cannot wait to play with these cards.

How will you get it into play? And what will you do to get the next one into play once the first one goes down?

JokerBoi
07/01/2011, 10:41 AM
The way it is translated it is the BOTTOM 7 cards. Which makes sense because they are "Fossils". The bottom is way different from the top. We do not know all the trainers or new abilities yet so please do not be so quick to judge how viable these fossils are.

treyh37
07/01/2011, 12:59 PM
bottom 7 so its a dusk ball for one particular fossil poke yeah looks really hard to get out and the only card i see atm that helps is research record.

also super scoop up/seeker are almost useless with the new fossils since you can't play them back down like you can a reg poke's basic

ALEXARD
07/01/2011, 01:09 PM
You people have no imagination, this new fossil mechanic is way too playable, specially if it`s a lock that gives you an awfully good chance of victory.

Slowking prime is so gonna boost it`s price after this.

I can foresee Volbeat and Illumise becoming Top Tiers at CC.

Speedy Scizor
07/01/2011, 01:16 PM
Lilipups pickup for reusing the fosils?

PokePop
07/01/2011, 01:25 PM
You people have no imagination, this new fossil mechanic is way too playable, specially if it`s a lock that gives you an awfully good chance of victory.

I wouldn't say they have no imagination.
More like they realize that if their opponent gets to choose whether to put the fossil Pokemon in your hand (where it's useless) or on the bottom of your deck (where you want it), they're going to choose to put it in your hand! :lol:

Happiny13
07/01/2011, 01:52 PM

Why would anyone play volbeat when we have Zekrom ???

fantasy_freak08
07/01/2011, 02:04 PM

how is slowking prime going to go up in price?

Charlie Sheen
07/01/2011, 02:04 PM
Why would anyone play volbeat when we have Zekrom ???

Why would anyone play Volbeat at all?

Hammertime
07/01/2011, 04:17 PM
Why would anyone play Volbeat at all?

Cheap and its attack is called Vulcan Beat.
Posted with Mobile style...

ALEXARD
07/01/2011, 05:16 PM
The lock people, the lock, Archeops ability gives a really hard time to evolved pokemon, a well built deck based on it won`t run evolved pokemon other than Archeops, right?, if we consider Archeops to become a popular deck, why not exploit it`s weakness to grass with Illumise (Volbeat is just a babykiller) and catcher, or just bring any other basic pokemon, since it can flip coins to do up to 120 damage with just 1 energy.

Slowking prime will get a good combo with Carracosta, even without underground expedition, is just a hunch anyway, but I will collect as many as possible.

Charlie Sheen
07/01/2011, 06:20 PM
Cheap and its attack is called Vulcan Beat.

It's way too flippy and have a chance of prizing a Volbeat.

ALEXARD
07/01/2011, 07:00 PM
It's way too flippy and have a chance of prizing a Volbeat.

By the time Archeops is released, Misterious Pearl and optional Fliptini will be released as well,

AyameHikaru
07/01/2011, 07:45 PM
^Why do you think we're getting Mysterious Pearl? O.o

Research Record definitely has value in a Restored Pokemon deck. :) "Oh look, it was my next card. Let's put it on the bottom and play my Fossil!" That being said, creating an engine to get your Fossils working will be..... interesting.

Tagrineth
07/01/2011, 10:32 PM
Pretty much total crap unless you get lucky with Research Record.

Why did PCL make fossil pokemon even harder to get into play... the problem has never been that they weren't powerful enough for how hard they are to get in play... the problem has always been that they've always been too hard to get in play.

Making it even harder? Great, way to alienate the Fossil pokemon even further. If they even see play, there's no way they'll make it past breaking even at majour events. Ever.

Swordfish1989
07/01/2011, 10:47 PM
If Claydol was still around then it would make Archeops (sp?) lot more playable. Just search for it, then send it to the bottom of your deck and then you can play it - if I'm reading the fossil right.

Setstage
07/02/2011, 02:10 AM
On a somewhat related note, this will make fosil play confusing for unlimited at leagues. I know they are separate mechanic, but old mechanics always screw up the kids at my league, they just don't get it because they don't play modified.

The Gorn
07/02/2011, 04:51 AM
Fix Fossils once and for all by treating them like Pokemon not only when they're in play, but also when they're in the deck/discard pile.

eriknance
07/02/2011, 08:10 AM
I don't understand... when people saw the Archeops on Pokebeach, they started complaining about how the game would be terrible without being able to play evolutions and how Archeops is way overpowered. Now that we know the full extent of playing fossils, people are complaining that it's too hard to get them in play. Whether or not you like the fossil mechanic, doesn't it feel good to know that evolutions aren't going the way of the dinosaur... er, fossil...

Prime
07/02/2011, 08:22 AM
Fix Fossils once and for all by treating them like Pokemon not only when they're in play, but also when they're in the deck/discard pile.

I disagree. I think it's important to keep fossils special. If they were just considered Pokemon and could be searched for like other Pokemon, there would be nothing special about them.

At least it seems like TPC is trying to come up with ways to make it easier to play them. I wouldn't want to see them scrap the whole uniqueness of the fossil pokemon just because players feel its too hard to play them.

baby mario
07/02/2011, 08:22 AM
By the time Archeops is released, Misterious Pearl and optional Fliptini will be released as well,

Yeah, we're definitely getting Mysterious Pearl :rolleyes:

A 4 year old very rare Japanese Trophy card, tied to the DPP series.

Coming to a Walmart near you soon, in a special promo Pack with Pikachu Illustrator and a Prerelease Raichu.

MattGritt
07/02/2011, 08:31 AM
I think the Fossil Mechanic will be the best like this. But it's going to be a pretty much an auto-loss against anything with Vileplume.

baby mario
07/02/2011, 08:47 AM
As things stand, the Fossils are unplayable. Doesn't matter how good they are, relying on sheer blind luck (drawing the Trainer and having the Stage1 in the bottom 7 cards) doesn't make for a consistent deck.

They need to release a card which allows you to manipulate the bottom cards somehow, or return from your hand to the bottom of the deck. Slowking Prime is only going to work against someone who is completely clueless unless your cunning plan is to use Slowking HGSS/Research Record to put TWO fossils on top of your deck . . . which is a ridiculous amount of effort.

ALEXARD
07/02/2011, 09:11 AM
Netdecking makes your brain lazy, no wonder you can`t figure out the real combo, THISGUY and other people already proven how fast and easy is to play fossils, you just need to pay attention and read carefully.

JandPDS
07/02/2011, 09:12 AM
Fossil Pokemon recieved every little play last format when they made them easier then ever to play. The energy reaction let you attach an energy and then instantly evolve the fossil to the stage 1 from your deck.

So if they made it that easy to evolve and still no one played them, going the opposite direction and making it harder then ever to get a fossil in play is going to make it even less likely that anyone would ever use a fossil deck in a tourney.

The problem with fossils before was the fact that they put HP on them and your opponent recieved a prize for KOing them. I would like to see no HP on a Fossil and it would stay inplay until it evolved or was discared. A fossil should not be considered a pokemon at any time. If it ever was sent to the active position it would then be discarded, and if all you had left in play was a fossil you would loose. That would solve the "STALL" deck issue that we had before.

ALEXARD
07/02/2011, 09:36 AM
During the EX era, they didn`t gave prizes and were pretty much an stall tactic, there was also a deck based in winning by mulligans, you could even evolve 3 different ones over a single fossil card, they were abused and then a new ruling had to take place.

Rampardos was pretty playable, but the other pokemon were not played because of their AWFUL attacks not because of the methods to bring them into play, Kabutops had a good Pokebody, paired with a weak 60 damage that had a cost of 3 energies, the same attack that archeops actually, consider how many counters that made the item lock useless existed back then, such as Broken TS, Dialga G lv X, Cyclone Energy, Infernape E4 lv X, Luxray GL lv X, Zangoose, Regigigas and Blaziken FB, also Spiritomb was easier to play and made fossils totally unplayable.

baby mario
07/02/2011, 09:51 AM
Netdecking makes your brain lazy, no wonder you can`t figure out the real combo, THISGUY and other people already proven how fast and easy is to play fossils, you just need to pay attention and read carefully.

The only thing thisguy mentioned was Research Record and the corrected translation makes that card irrelevant.

I love how you say anyone has 'proven how fast and easy is to play fossils' when the new mechanic was only revealed via translation a couple of days ago and won't appear outside of Japan for months. How was this proved, I wonder? Extensive playtesting? Tournament success?

Anyone can throw out hints about 'knowing the real combos'. Unless you can back it up, it's just ridiculous posing.

ALEXARD
07/02/2011, 10:41 AM
There is another thread about the ways to play it and some people exposed a few combos with already existing cards, is not hard to proxy, it might be ilegal for tournament play, but not as an experiment.

Is just adorable that your real concern about new ideas relies on "Tournament Success", watch toy story, it might teach you a few things about using imagination, since the greatest inventions started as wild ideas, but seems like you are just gonna sit and wait for a good player to figure out a good deck for you to copy.

Posing ? Is a waste of time to share ideas with people that can`t consider possibilities, enjoy the present.

baby mario
07/02/2011, 10:50 AM
There is another thread about the ways to play it and some people exposed a few combos with already existing cards, is not hard to proxy, it might be ilegal for tournament play, but not as an experiment.

Might not be hard to proxy but it sure is pointless given that we don't know what else will be released to support or counter the mechanic.

Is just adorable that your real concern about new ideas relies on "Tournament Success", watch toy story, it might teach you a few things about using imagination, since the greatest inventions started as wild ideas, but seems like you are just gonna sit and wait for a good player to figure out a good deck for you to copy.

Better than watching a bad player fail in his attempt to champion unplayable cards, but each to their own.

Posing ? Is a waste of time to share ideas with people that can`t consider possibilities, enjoy the present.

In case it wasn't clear, I'll spell it out. The real reason you don't share any of your ideas is because they are rubbish (Slowking Prime? Seriously?)

cpeterik
07/02/2011, 11:40 AM
Quit feeding him...

StormFront
07/02/2011, 04:57 PM
Ideally, to make the fossil mechanic work you would need to search for Archen and use a trainer/power/ability to put Archen on the bottom of the deck and then use the fossil card.

Sevus
07/02/2011, 08:34 PM
So we might end up seeing something in the same set like

Crosstranciever
Trainer's Item
Draw 2 cards, then put 1 card from your hand on the bottom of your deck

Or

Fossil Restoration Machine
Trainer's Support
Search your deck or discard pile for an Item Card with "Fossil" in its name and add it to your hand. Then you can search your deck for 1 Revived Pokémon, shuffle your deck, then put that Revived Pokémon on the bottom of your deck.

Either of which make the new fossils more playable, you just either have to draw the setup. We already got the doomsaying out of the way, so can we wait to see if the set will actually give support to this Fossil method before ranting about how useless it is?

AyameHikaru
07/02/2011, 09:02 PM
^If it were a Support, it'd have to involve a person. Like a "Clay" card.

Or:

Nacrene City Museum (Stadium)
Once during each player's turn, they may activate this effect:

Choose a card from your hand and put it on the bottom of your deck. If you do, draw a card.

Wild guessing, natch. :P

grassmaster239
07/02/2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah, we're definitely getting Mysterious Pearl :rolleyes:

A 4 year old very rare Japanese Trophy card, tied to the DPP series.

Coming to a Walmart near you soon, in a special promo Pack with Pikachu Illustrator and a Prerelease Raichu.

You forgot miracle diamond and wonder platinum

Regis_Neo
07/02/2011, 11:09 PM
So we might end up seeing something in the same set like

Crosstranciever
Trainer's Item
Draw 2 cards, then put 1 card from your hand on the bottom of your deck

Or

Fossil Restoration Machine
Trainer's Support
Search your deck or discard pile for an Item Card with "Fossil" in its name and add it to your hand. Then you can search your deck for 1 Revived Pokémon, shuffle your deck, then put that Revived Pokémon on the bottom of your deck.

Either of which make the new fossils more playable, you just either have to draw the setup. We already got the doomsaying out of the way, so can we wait to see if the set will actually give support to this Fossil method before ranting about how useless it is?

You're assuming there will be some sort of support mechanic, which may very well not exist...I don't think most of us are that optimistic though.

Nick15
07/03/2011, 10:59 AM
So yeah...fossils continue to fail. Just give up on the crap mechanic and make the one form a Basic, the other a Stage 1, no lame Trainers.

I figure the reason why that won't happen is that kids will find themselves with two, say, Omanytes, one as a Stage 1 and the other as a Basic... so when you have something like Omastar which could be a Stage 1 or Stage 2, which one would you put it on?

Obviously Stage 1's can only go on Basics and Stage 2's on Stage 1's, but that doesn't mean that people won't be wigging out about it.

But don't get me wrong, I've always felt that switching the stages like that was the only way to make them (and other cards) feasible. Case in point, I think it's silly that, in the TCG, Pichu (and other Baby Pokemon) can't evolve into Pikachu, etc, unless they specifically state so with a Pokemon Power. Silly!
* http://www.fakecard.com/fakes/pokemon/mayakashi/images/145-smoochum.jpg
* http://www.fakecard.com/fakes/pokemon/mayakashi/images/074-jynx.jpg

But anyways... there we go.

Regis_Neo
07/03/2011, 03:38 PM
I figure the reason why that won't happen is that kids will find themselves with two, say, Omanytes, one as a Stage 1 and the other as a Basic... so when you have something like Omastar which could be a Stage 1 or Stage 2, which one would you put it on?

Obviously Stage 1's can only go on Basics and Stage 2's on Stage 1's, but that doesn't mean that people won't be wigging out about it.

But don't get me wrong, I've always felt that switching the stages like that was the only way to make them (and other cards) feasible. Case in point, I think it's silly that, in the TCG, Pichu (and other Baby Pokemon) can't evolve into Pikachu, etc, unless they specifically state so with a Pokemon Power. Silly!
* http://www.fakecard.com/fakes/pokemon/mayakashi/images/145-smoochum.jpg
* http://www.fakecard.com/fakes/pokemon/mayakashi/images/074-jynx.jpg

Well consider (and correct me if I'm wrong, not sure), but no fossil Pokemon have been printed since HGSS sets came out, so there shouldn't be any issues in terms of clashing with older cards in Modified; in Unlimited, you have Aerodactyl and...well, Aerodactyl only, and as he comes out of old Mysterious Fossil, it's pretty set and dry as to how he's used. Anyone else using fossil Pokemon here would likely be laughed out of whatever building they're in.

So yeah, moving into BW instead of this fail mechanic they're trying to set up, simply make Tirtouga a Basic and Carracosta a Stage 1. Yes, they will be weakened as a result (probably give the Basic 60-70 HP and Carracosta 100 HP or so) and their attacks won't be as powerful (unless printed to be), but at the very least they would...be...playable. I honestly dunno what bug they have up their butts about having to duplicate how they're revived in the videogame...

The Gorn
07/03/2011, 04:41 PM
Skyridge introduced Buried Fossil. It was a 30 HP Pokemon that evolved into Omanyte, Kabuto, and/or Aerodactyl.

THAT made fossils playable.

If PUI/POP/P!P want to make fossils viable/playable, bring back that type of mechanic.

Prime
07/03/2011, 07:41 PM
Skyridge introduced Buried Fossil. It was a 30 HP Pokemon that evolved into Omanyte, Kabuto, and/or Aerodactyl.

THAT made fossils playable.

If PUI/POP/P!P want to make fossils viable/playable, bring back that type of mechanic.

yes, a 30 HP fossil Pokemon that evolves into Omanyte, Kabuto, etc would make the fossil pokemon more playable...

...but the fossil pokemon would lose their entire mechanic at the cost of it.

Fossil pokemon have been special since their initial release. Yes, they have been hard to play for the majority of their existance, but at least they had a creative mechanic behind them.

It's like saying, "stage 2s are too hard to get out with Pokemon Catcher in the format...so TPC should just make every pokemon basic." We all remember where that idea left us last season and the pure abuse of it.

I would NOT want to see that fossil mechanic tossed aside for an easy-mode solution just because players feel it is too "hard" to play the fossils. I think the new version of the mechanic is very creative and sounds fun. It probably still needs work from there, but I really hope TPC doesn't ever decide to just toss the mechanic away.

Lassic23
07/03/2011, 09:39 PM
The only thing I do not like about it is the way the "basics" are handled. If you seeker up a fossil pokemon? You can't play it back down. Vileplume up and running? Can't play any fossils at all so you have useless pokemon in your hand.

Regis_Neo
07/04/2011, 02:43 AM
yes, a 30 HP fossil Pokemon that evolves into Omanyte, Kabuto, etc would make the fossil pokemon more playable...

Fossil pokemon have been special since their initial release. Yes, they have been hard to play for the majority of their existance, but at least they had a creative mechanic behind them.

It's like saying, "stage 2s are too hard to get out with Pokemon Catcher in the format...so TPC should just make every pokemon basic." We all remember where that idea left us last season and the pure abuse of it.

I would NOT want to see that fossil mechanic tossed aside for an easy-mode solution just because players feel it is too "hard" to play the fossils. I think the new version of the mechanic is very creative and sounds fun. It probably still needs work from there, but I really hope TPC doesn't ever decide to just toss the mechanic away.

However, there is a difference between hard to play and broken mechanic that hasn't worked at all since its inception...

Honestly, I thought they were almost on track with the last patch of fossils using Kabutops, Omastar, and Aerodactyl; the base fossil form had a nifty Poke-Power to give you a 50/50 shot at freely evolving it when you attacked the right energy you would have used on it anyways, and you had Fossil Excavator as being the single greatest Trainer type support ever made. The problem with them though was that none of the Pokemon they evolved into weren't particularly good (I think only Kabutops was semi-playable), and along with the Trainer Lock problems and such, pretty much again made them not worth the effort and actively discouraged their use. Not to mention Aerodactyl suffered from the extremely awkward problem of being a Fossil Pokemon, yet couldn't be used with Excavator since he evolved from Old Amber, which had no mention of Fossil anywhere in its name...

And that's still an ongoing problem with the new BW fossils; not only do they have an (IMO) inferior mechanic of base Fossil use to get them out compared to the above I just mentioned, it's still completely owned by Trainer Lock. And there's still the value of the Pokemon they evolve into; with the hassle to get Archeops out, your opponent has more than ample time to set up their evos and likely cheat around Prehistoric Power with Candy anyways. Carracosta, sure a built in -50 damage Ability is great...if it even works at all thanks to a coin flip. And neither have damaging enough attacks to justify then as main attackers either. So honestly it's still the same old run around; sure the Pokemon these fossils evolve into are slightly worth playing over many of the older ones, but the hassle to get them out make them not worth it compared to the far easier, quicker decks already around. Unless they really make some with game-changing Abilities or Attacks (in lieu of stuff like Legend attacks and Prime stats), the new fossil mechanic just discourages their use again.

Jahikoi
07/04/2011, 03:02 AM

Your choice would be:

Mysterious Fossil -> Omanyte (stage 1) -> Omastar (Stage 2)

Dome? Fossil -> Omanyte (Restored Pokemon) -> Omastar (Stage 1)

I doubt you could play Omastar on Omanyte (restored) or, Omastar (stage 1) on omanyte (stage 1). It all depends on the very, very specific wording of the evolution text on the cards.

Also, if you're allowed to evolve a stage 1 from a stage 1...

The Gorn
07/04/2011, 06:47 AM

A big part of that specialness was the fact that KO'ing a fossil did not give you a prize.

Things have already changed. Fossils are being treated completely like Pokemon while in play without a corresponding change to treatment while not in play.

As they stand, they are nearly unplayable.