PDA

View Full Version : Create-a-Card Contest: Reword

dkates
10/01/2003, 11:06 AM
I tried this one on WizPoG, and only got one entry. This will be a simple contest, especially compared to the other two I've done here. Choose one of the cards below that debuted in the Game Boy version of the TCG. As worded on the game, they cannot be played as real cards, and they were never printed (at least in America -- I can't vouch for Japan) in playable versions. Your entry for the contest should take that card and reword it so that it can be played. I will grade on a simple 10-point scale, based on how true it is to the original and how playable the wording is. Since they have already been decided for you, just copy and paste in the card's "stats" (Name, HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat Cost, rarity). Do not change them. Remember to use the version that was Game Boy only, or your score will be 0. If you need to see the original text of these cards, look on Gamefaqs.com. They are listed in at least one of the FAQs for the Game Boy Pokemon Trading Card game. Note that many of these cards have one ability that is playable as written and one that isn't. In those cases, only reword the one that isn't, and just copy and paste the other. Also, in a place that is visibly separate from the rest of the card, please copy and paste the original text of the reworded ability or abilities. Clearly mark which is which. This will help me judge more quickly. Contest closes for entries at noon, Eastern Time, on October 8. (For reference, as I write this, it's a little past 1, Eastern time.) One entry per person.
Marowak Jigglypuff Ninetails Magnemite Pidgeot Ditto Moltres Articuno Zapdos MewP.S. Carrington, you may either copy and paste the entry you had on WizPoG or make a new one, your choice.

Carrington388
10/01/2003, 12:27 PM
Having trouble getting to my old entry.
==================================================
D42: Ditto
==================================================
LV: 19
HP: 50
Evolution: Basic
Rarity: Rare
Set: GB only

Type: Colorless
Retreat Cost: C
Weakness: F
Resistance: P (-30)

C Pound (10)

CCC Morph

Remove all damage counters from Ditto. For the rest of the game, replaceDitto with a copy of a Basic Pokemon Card (other than Ditto) chosen at random from your deck. Ditto is no longer Asleep, Confused, Paralyzed, Poisoned, or anything else that might be the result of an attack (just as if you had evolved it).And here's the reword:

Ditto
50 HP {C}
Basic Pokémon

{C} Pound 10
{C}{C}{C} Morph Remove all damage counters from Ditto. Your opponent searches your deck for any Basic Pokémon other than Ditto. Place that card on Ditto as if you were evolving Ditto. (This doesn't count as evolving Ditto.) Ditto is now that Pokémon as long as it remains in play. Ditto is no longer affected by a Special Condition or anything else that might be the result of an attack (just as if you had evolved it).

Weakness: {F}
Resistance: {P}
Retreat Cost: {C}

dkates
10/01/2003, 01:20 PM
My judging for this reword: 8 points. Very good, and very faithful to the original, but I can't say I like the idea of the attack giving the user's opponent a chance to see his/her deck. BTW, I think your entry on WizPoG was either exactly, or almost exactly the same as this one, in case you were wondering.

Otaku
10/01/2003, 06:14 PM
from GameFAQs:
===============================================
P10: Zapdos
===============================================
LV: 68
HP: 100

Type: Electric
Retreat Cost: CC
Weakness:
Resistance: F (-30)

Pokemon Power: Peal of Thunder

When you put Zapdos into play during your turn (not during set-up), do 30
damage to a Pokemon other than Zapdos chosen at random. (Don't apply Weakness
and Resistance.)

LLL Big Thunder

Choose a Pokemon other than Zapdos at random. This attack does 70 damage to
that Pokemon. Don't apply Weakness or Resistance for this attack. (Any other
effects that would happen after applying Weakness and Resistance still happen.)

I should be stuying for exams...

================================================== ======
P10: Zapdos
================================================== ======
LV: 68
HP: 100

Type: Electric
Retreat Cost: CC
Weakness:
Resistance: F (-30)

Pokemon Power: Peal of Thunder

When you put Zapdos into play during your turn (not during set-up), each player flips a coin until they get heads for each of their Pokemon in play (do not include this Pokemon). Do 30 damage to that Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance.)

LLL Big Thunder

Each player flips a coin until they get heads for each of their Pokemon in play (do not include this Pokemon). This attack does 70 damage to
the Pokemon that got the most tails. Don't apply Weakness or Resistance for this attack. (Any other effects that would happen after applying Weakness and Resistance still happen.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note, that if we are allowed o "change" the "unofficial" card design rule that the only randomizer is coin flips or shuffling from the deck, instead of flipping until heads, it would read something like "Number each Pokemon in play between 1 and 12, and roll a 12 sided die. If a number not assigned to a Pokemon comes up, re-roll. When a number assigned to a Pokemon is rolled, do X damage to that Pokemon", where "X" is the damage appropriate to the attack or power.

Celebexpert2
10/01/2003, 06:25 PM
This contest sucks,the other one was much better,but I'm not inscribed it.

dkates
10/01/2003, 06:32 PM
Hmmm... I'll give this one 8 points, as well. Faithful to the original, but what happens if you have a tie?

As for Celebexpert2's comment, I must say that is a little rude. I would have appreciated if you had said it a little more tactfully.

Celebexpert2
10/01/2003, 06:35 PM
:nonono: but is really you only give points like free points,the other one was much better because you give points for the name and the picture and other things.

dkates
10/01/2003, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I actually like that better too, myself, but it does take a while to judge each entry when I do that. Don't worry, for my next one, I'll go back to a more traditional rubric.

Celebexpert2
10/01/2003, 06:40 PM
Why don't you do it now...

dkates
10/01/2003, 06:41 PM
How am I supposed to use a rubric on this one? The cards themselves are made, and only one thing is the choice of the entrant.

Captain Obviousx1
10/01/2003, 06:51 PM
Eh, maybe you should finish your other CaC first... ^_^

Celebexpert2
10/01/2003, 06:51 PM
you can erase this topic and do another...

Otaku
10/01/2003, 07:11 PM
Hmmm... I'll give this one 8 points, as well. Faithful to the original, but what happens if you have a tie?I waould assume a re-flip. That is why i would prefer the d12... which are pretty easy to get. Most gaming stores have them, and if they were to be used with the game, you would probably start finding them elsewhere. I've been using them for damage counters for 2 years now... though the ex Pokemon have ruined my beautiful system... ah well.

So, can you ansewr my question: are we allowed to introduce (painfully) obvious concepts taht WotC ignored, like dice rolls? While I wouldn't want to need an assortment (like D & D), d12 would work really well unless they change the amount of Pokemon you can have in play (unless they treat them as taking up "slots"... in which case it could still work. Hmmm, Pokemon that eat up extra space or less space... an interesting thought...

surfingpika
10/04/2003, 09:20 PM
Original Text
100 HP
Basic pokemon
level 37

Type-w
Weakness-
Resistance- (f)-30
Retreat cost-(c)(c)

articuno
Pokemon power-Quick Freeze When you put articuno into play during your turn(other than setup), flip a coin. If heads, the defending pokemon is now paralized.

www-ice breath
Does 40 damage to 1 of your opponent's pokemon at random. Do not apply weakness or resistance for this attack. (Apply any other affects that happen after weakness and Resistance.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Modified attack
www-ice breath
Flip a coin, if heads, this attack does 30 damage to one of your opponent's pokemon of your choice. If tails, this attack does 30 damage plus 20 more damage to one of your opponent's pokemon of their choice. (Do not apply any effects that will alter the damage done either way.)

dkates
10/04/2003, 09:21 PM
That will only get you a 5, surfingpika. Playable, but it's not faithful to the original at all.

SlimeyGrimey
10/04/2003, 10:45 PM
I can't find these cards on GameFAQ's, could someone provide a link to them please?

Carrington388
10/04/2003, 10:58 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbcolor/game/23976.html

Look under "In-Depth FAQs" for a file entitled "Card List".

dkates
10/07/2003, 11:23 AM
This contest closes tomorrow, at 3:00 PM, Eastern time. For reference, I am writing this at 1:20 PM, Eastern time.

dkates
10/08/2003, 01:42 PM
This contest is over. The winners are Carrington and Otaku. Stay tuned for my next contest -- as soon as I finish grading the one I did before this one!