PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Regional -- 5.14.05

PTE_Karl
04/06/2005, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

Please reply to this thread if you will be attending the SoCal Regional. If you are coming from out-of-town, please indicate how many players are cramming into your car/minivan/small truck/bus. Thanks.

Below is the info on the SoCal Regional. :clap:

Tournament Location
San Onofre Community Center, Bldg. 51919 Basilone Rd., Camp Pendleton, CA; Ph: 760.725.4310

Cost to Enter
Tournament entry is FREE!

Registration and Start Time
Registration opens at 9:00 am; Reg. for Round 1 closes at 9:50 am

The SoCal Regional begins at 10:00 am

How to Sign-Up and Play
Arrive onsite no later than ˝ hour before the tournament start time. Thank you.

Please allow enough time to fill out your decklist prior to Registration — download it at www.ptegames.com, fill it out, and bring it with you! You will need to turn in both your registration slip (available onsite) and decklist at Registration. Also, please rememeber to bring your POP ID. Thanks.

Prizes
The top 8 finishers in each of the three age categories receive the following prizes:

1st Place :thumb:

• Pokémon TCG Regional Champion Trophy
• Invitation to the Pokémon TCG World Championships in August 2005
• Travel Award for the winner (and parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2005 World Championships
• Scholarship award worth $1500 (go to www.op.pokemon-tcg.com for details and restrictions)
• $300 travel allowance to attend the Origins International Game Expo and participate in the Pokémon TCG National Championships (this allowance will be given on-site at the event)
• Four-day admission to the Origins Game Expo in Columbus, Ohio
• Combination of 36 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

2nd Place

• Pokémon TCG Regional Championships Second Place Trophy
• Invitation to the Pokémon TCG World Championships in August 2005
• Travel Award for the winner (and parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2005 World Championships
• Scholarship award worth $1000 (go to www.op.pokemon-tcg.com for details and restrictions)

3rd Place

• Pokémon TCG Regional Championships Third Place Trophy
• Scholarship award worth $500 (go to www.op.pokemon-tcg.com for details and restrictions)

4th Place

• Scholarship award worth $500 (go to www.op.pokemon-tcg.com for details and restrictions)

5th - 8th Place

• Combination of 18 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

Side Events

Booster drafts will be offered throughout the day and will consist of single-elimination rounds—$15 entry fee; prizes = 5 boosters for 1st, 3 boosters for 2nd, and 2 boosters for 3rd-4th.

Constructed tournaments will be available and will consist of single-elimination rounds—$5 entry fee; prizes = 5 boosters for 1st, 3 boosters for 2nd, and 2 boosters for 3rd-4th.

Team side events will be offered as interest warrants. Pricing and prizes presented onsite.

GBA head-to-head battles will also be ongoing throughout the day. Winner receives 1 booster (you may only receive 1 booster for winning 3 times).

Tournament Structure
Age-Modified Swiss-style (1 game matches), with Top 4-16 single elimination (best 2 of 3 games) in each age group.

Tournament Format
Modified

ToysRUsKid
04/06/2005, 11:51 PM
Will be there =)

DukeFireBird
04/06/2005, 11:52 PM
WOOT, my backyard!!!

Myself and Marsh will be going, along with the NPPA KArl so about 10 maybe?

Charizard_Breeder
04/07/2005, 12:04 AM
yay...San Diego it is...Weilemom, map PLEASE!!! :wink: Pendelton is like super HUGE, wouldn't want to get lost and arrive late to a WORLD qualifier...the sooner the better, thanks!!! and my car is running just fine now, so no excuses!!! umh me and FRODO should be there, as well as TEAM LA...let the games BEGIN!!!

laters

Jess_E

Stripes
04/07/2005, 11:56 AM
Maybe, I might go. Probably will have to bring body guards if I do go. The Cali players would freak out if I show up. Shall we start predicting favored winners?

ToysRUsKid
04/07/2005, 01:19 PM
Maybe, I might go. Probably will have to bring body guards if I do go. The Cali players would freak out if I show up. Shall we start predicting favored winners?

I'd get banned again if I say something about cali players freak out, sooo. Who is gonna win?

Chad
Martin
Kevin F
or
myself.

GG

Stripes
04/07/2005, 02:01 PM
Marroquin seems to me like a top contender.

cool-dude32
04/07/2005, 04:10 PM
I'll be there with Team LA.

Rep13
04/07/2005, 04:17 PM
I guess I'll show up I have nothing better to do.

Martin
04/07/2005, 06:24 PM
What's a Marroquin?

Yeah, The King of the West will be there. So is Big Kev.

Stripes
04/07/2005, 07:45 PM
Well I hope it has a nice turn out, and runs good. I really do hope you live up to your name Martin as King of the West and not the guy who lost to some person from the east. I mean that sincerelly since I most likely won't show up. Good luck people!!

tecdecs
04/07/2005, 09:37 PM
Will be there =)

you sure your going? if you are than im coming along

Scizor
04/07/2005, 09:43 PM
TRUK, tecdecs and I should be there. I seem to recall last year's GCs and Stadium were ALL won by central cali and san diego players.....Hmmmm. Good luck to all participating, hope i don't get lost finding this place =p

SD PokeMom
04/08/2005, 12:30 PM
The rec center is pretty easy to find: take the Basilone Road exit from I-5 and go east. Check in at the gate to the base (make sure you have your CA registration/license/proof of insurance with you in case they ask for it); you'll be asked where you're going, and if you need directions that's the time to ask. The rec center is on the right side of the road in the same area as the Burger King and exchange.

'mom

cool-dude32
04/08/2005, 04:46 PM
Is this place inside the gym again like the Camp Pendleton City Championship?

Bakufuun
04/09/2005, 09:13 AM
I'm going to try to come. It's a bit far for me. If I can go I will probably be bringing 3 other people.

SD PokeMom
04/09/2005, 09:17 AM
Is this place inside the gym again like the Camp Pendleton City Championship?
Yes, it's at the same place...

'mom

Sharif
04/09/2005, 10:41 AM
San Diego is sweeping each division. By me =)

Charizard_Breeder
04/10/2005, 01:48 AM
San Diego is sweeping each division. By me =)very awesome bro...so this is how I see it: Sharif the III to take the 10-under... Sharif the II to clean house in the 11-14 age division and Sharif the I to clean house in the 15+ age division...yes, SWEET!! so no reason for me to go :wink: you should be a comedian Sharif, I'm all teary eyed :biggrin:

Jess_E :thumb:

Flare Starfire
04/10/2005, 08:04 AM
I'll attempt to make it....anybody else from the modesto area gonna trek to this one? Any chances for hopping a ride? *wonders*
~Flare

Vex47
04/10/2005, 05:59 PM
I'll be there with possibly one other competitor and a third person who is not competing.

Blaziken_44
04/10/2005, 06:37 PM
I'll be there and I'll fight through every round just like STATES...

Martin
04/11/2005, 11:58 AM
A little tip, if you sign up for any drafts at Camp Pendleton base, read the fine print first..

)v(ajin_ipg21
04/11/2005, 12:16 PM
=D

Nice one Martin, THANKS for the tip... Hmmm, I've got to check my calendar...

Hot_Carl
04/13/2005, 08:27 PM
I will be there. First really big modified-constructed tournament i'll be attending in 15+, so i'd better make a good performance. And Matt, if i go up there with you, (like for the camp pendleton CC) you had better turn right. RIGHT! Let's not go all the way around camp pendleton again.

lookinforwailordex
04/17/2005, 04:07 PM
looks like another road trip for the slack members

Charizard_Breeder
04/21/2005, 11:39 PM
not much HYPE leading up to this one, where is EVERYBODY?? SLEEPING or what?? wake up CALI, it's the So Cal Regional!! about a month away...let's go, let's go!!

Jess_E

Hot_Carl
04/22/2005, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I kind of agree, i'm prooty psyched about it. I'm still unsure about what deck i'll play, but I think I have an idea now. we'll just have to see.

4 weeks until pwnage is done all around.

ToysRUsKid
04/22/2005, 08:14 PM
Road-Trip is gonna be fun :D

Scizor
04/22/2005, 08:58 PM
3 weeks, lock and load.

Entei27
04/25/2005, 06:31 AM
i will be going

gnarlychar
04/25/2005, 11:34 AM
I should be there, but what deck to play? :confused: Rock lock, gardevoir, manectric, gosh i don't know.

CRIMINAL
04/27/2005, 01:46 PM
Uhh OHHH! Watch out SoCal Crims on his way

Charizard_Breeder
04/29/2005, 01:04 AM
that's the SPIRIT!!! yesssss...hahaha, it's almost here - can't wait!!!

c'ya there, lates

Jess_E

WeileMom
05/06/2005, 08:10 AM
Alright- for all of you out-of-towners, the San Onofre Community Center is located at the very northern tip of Camp Pendleton with easy access from the 5. If you look on a map it is just south of San Clemente. Take the Basilone Rd exit and smile pretty at the guards!

And the answer is yes...you had better hide Martin in the trunk....

SD PokeMom
05/06/2005, 03:11 PM
I'll be there, along with kids from my league...:)

'mom

ToysRUsKid
05/08/2005, 02:12 PM
Less than a week =)...

BLiZzArD
05/08/2005, 02:15 PM
I'm there bringing the family and a few friends

BLiZz

Hot_Carl
05/08/2005, 10:12 PM
I can tell now there will be a bunch of gym members to meet. I'll be the kid with the bright orange and black shirt, so say "Hi" if you see me.

5 days away.

spookees
05/09/2005, 07:54 AM
Just days away! Nicole thank you for your help....I will be flying in for the event with a bunch of our players as well!!
~By Land and by Air....Arizona will be there.~

cool-dude32
05/09/2005, 04:27 PM
I can tell now there will be a bunch of gym members to meet. I'll be the kid with the bright orange and black shirt, so say "Hi" if you see me.

5 days away.

Yup, I'll be the with all of Team LA and I'll be the kid with a cup of beer in his hand and getting drunk during the Tourney. lol (j/k)

~Chung

lookinforwailordex
05/09/2005, 06:20 PM
well for the people that dont know what i look like i will being wearing my kobe jersey. I cant wait i get to bring back my old deck yay!!!

SD PokeMom
05/09/2005, 06:21 PM
Is Team Magma going to be in uniform? :lol:

'mom

gnarlychar
05/09/2005, 07:29 PM
I dunno what ill wear, but i will have spiked hair.

Hot_Carl
05/09/2005, 07:34 PM
And one other thing to mention, for those who have seen me before but not lately, I no longer have long hair. ^_^

The Fat Kid
05/09/2005, 09:33 PM
I'm still The Fat Kid...

cool-dude32
05/09/2005, 10:34 PM
Is Team Magma going to be in uniform? :lol:

'mom
No, I dont think so. We're just going to be Team LA for this event.

DukeFireBird
05/09/2005, 10:52 PM
Update for NPPA, just me and Rachel going, and even so, i might help, depends on what Karl says. Maybe ill be Max again like i was for RR Pre release...

cool-dude32
05/10/2005, 05:31 PM
Update for NPPA, just me and Rachel going, and even so, i might help, depends on what Karl says. Maybe ill be Max again like i was for RR Pre release...
Hey no offense but you're a Bad Judge. For example, Oniel ask you if he can attach a Boost Energy to a Moltres Ex and you said Yes. :nonono: If your wondering where did this happen, well this happen at the Nevada State Championship.

Water Pokemon Master
05/10/2005, 06:00 PM
All we need is another fight. :rolleyes: You guys really need to stop with all of this rivalry and bashing, it's getting old. At least do it in private where you don't make California players look bad with your constant bickering.

I really want to go to this and say goodbye to Nicole and Ashley since they are moving to Illinois, but I don't know if I can make it. My dad might have to work Saturday, and my mom is taking my grandma to a fashion show :lol:, so I dunno. Reallyyyy want to try out my new deck, though.

lookinforwailordex
05/10/2005, 06:07 PM
are you serious i didnt know nicole and ashley are moving. That bootleg. Well my dad just told me for sure i can go yay!!

Water Pokemon Master
05/10/2005, 06:10 PM
That's what they both told me. Ashley said they would be moving near the Great Lakes above Chicago, and Nicole told me it would be for at least 3.5 years and that they are going in June. It's really sad they have to go - tournies won't be the same without them. I'm going to really miss them. :(

Charizard_Breeder
05/10/2005, 10:26 PM
yes this weekend will be the last we see ASH and company at a So Cal Tourney *until WORLD'S*, LOL :wink: But Nicole has always done an awesome job, THANKS!!! to Ash and Josh, take care you two and we'll be seeing ya at WORLD's '05 in San Diego!!! Just remember Cali rocks...Illinois, especially near the Chicago area isn't that bad - you'll be making new friends right quick...TEAM LA will miss ya guys!!! see you this weekend...

take care

Jess_E

spookees
05/10/2005, 10:29 PM
Team Heat will miss ya too Nicole!! Be safe on the trip up to Illinois...See you this saturday!!

gnarlychar
05/10/2005, 10:30 PM
awwwww, i'll miss you guys :frown: . I finally know what im gonna play, four days before the tourny,lol.

DukeFireBird
05/10/2005, 10:32 PM
Hey no offense but you're a Bad Judge. For example, Oniel ask you if he can attach a Boost Energy to a Moltres Ex and you said Yes. :nonono: If your wondering where did this happen, well this happen at the Nevada State Championship.

OK, just to clairify, I was a judge for 15+, oneil is 11-14, so I couldn't possibly be involved with a decision for his match/games. Also, last I checked, Im only human, and I do sometimes make mistakes. If you tell me your perfect, Ill find something to prove it wrong. And if I do make a mistake with a judging error, please bring it to my attention, and i might think about it again. (FYI I also did have a memory lapse with Boost and basics recentlly, but now it is corrected, error in my deck.)

Charizard_Breeder
05/10/2005, 10:49 PM
OK, just to clairify, I was a judge for 15+, oneil is 11-14actually he's 15+, but who cares...ancient history! but you said you might go as Max from RR Pre release or something like that...dude, you should go as "SYNDROME" from the Incredibles - you sort of look like him!!! :biggrin:

see ya this weekend as well as TEAM HEAT...oh man, it's almost here!!!

Jess_E

tecdecs
05/10/2005, 11:10 PM
hope we have 250+ people attending, 4 more days!

Hot_Carl
05/10/2005, 11:58 PM
250+ people would be kind of crazy in that gym.

and in 3 minutes it'll only be 3 days away. OMGWTHBBQ!

Flare Starfire
05/11/2005, 11:21 AM
Huzzah....looks like I might actually make it after all. with less than 3 days to start time, no less....what time will the area be set up for those of us looking to come a little early for practice matches?

WeileMom
05/11/2005, 12:09 PM
Ok, first of all you guys are going to make me cry!! You have NO idea how much we're going to miss you all!

Second, I got the final moving date and its June 10th so we won't make it to the Gyms in June :frown:

On a side note, we MAY show up in Arizona on the 12th...I have to see if it works into the travel plans.

Third, I just checked the Gym where we are having Regionals and we should have plenty of tables and chairs for the event. If we go over 250 I will probably run out of there screaming though.

Fourth, please plan ahead of time for your lunch. We have a Dominos and a Burger King within walking distance. During the the City Championships the lines were bad though so you may have to get together with some friends and figure out a way to eat in shifts or something. I recommend getting the Domino's number and ordering ahead of time. They still have the 3 medium pizzas for $15 deal. Personally I would plan on bringing lunch and snacks, just to be safe. If the event is large we will need to keep the rounds moving in order to finish in a timely manner.

Fifth, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have your decklists filled out ahead of time!!!! This will really help us get everything started ontime. DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING!!! If you don't know what a modified deck is then go to http://op.pokemon-tcg.com and find out. We had people show up to states with over 100 card decks!

Finally, I can't wait to see everyone Saturday. We will be setting up the night before so the Gym WILL NOT OPEN UNTIL 8:45am. If you arrive early you won't be able to get in before then. If you have your decklist ready you can grab a registration form, fill it out, register, and then have plenty of time to play before the event. I WILL get this tournament started on-time so DO NOT PLAN ON COMING LATE!!!!Thanks for reading, see you Saturday!

DukeFireBird
05/11/2005, 12:33 PM
Hey Nicole, make sure you talk to Karl, im not sure if you guys talked yet...

WeileMom
05/11/2005, 12:40 PM
Hey Nicole, make sure you talk to Karl, im not sure if you guys talked yet...

About what?

M_Liesik
05/11/2005, 02:14 PM
DO NOT PLAN ON COMING LATE!!!!

Well, I might show up a little late (depending on how my breakfast plans shake out). However, since I won't be playing, there's no need to hold up the start of the event for me. :thumb:

WeileMom
05/11/2005, 02:27 PM
Well, I might show up a little late (depending on how my breakfast plans shake out). However, since I won't be playing, there's no need to hold up the start of the event for me. :thumb:

Oh no...we expect you there bright and bushy tailed with the rest of us!!

And since when has it been breakfast that has made you late.... :rolleyes:

See you Saturday!

M_Liesik
05/11/2005, 02:39 PM
Oh no...we expect you there bright and bushy tailed with the rest of us!!

And since when has it been breakfast that has made you late.... :rolleyes:

See you Saturday!

Well, Friday night might run late, meaning a late start Saturday morning. And I've gotta get a good head start for Saturday night's festivities.

Gotta love having family stationed at Pendleton. ;)

cool-dude32
05/11/2005, 03:34 PM
OK, just to clairify, I was a judge for 15+, oneil is 11-14, so I couldn't possibly be involved with a decision for his match/games. Also, last I checked, Im only human, and I do sometimes make mistakes. If you tell me your perfect, Ill find something to prove it wrong. And if I do make a mistake with a judging error, please bring it to my attention, and i might think about it again. (FYI I also did have a memory lapse with Boost and basics recentlly, but now it is corrected, error in my deck.)
I dont really want to start anything between Cali and Nevada again but just like Charizard_Breeder said "Oniel is 15+". Also I'm not saying that we're all prefect, but you did make alot of judge error that day. I dont want to name all of your error right now because it might start some trouble. But if you want to know all of the judge error that you made, then ask me at the SoCal Regional.

Water Pokemon Master
05/11/2005, 03:39 PM
If he made so many errors, why didn't you politely try to point them out to him? Why start something way after the actual tournament when nothing you can do will change the outcome of what happened?

cool-dude32
05/11/2005, 06:58 PM
If he made so many errors, why didn't you politely try to point them out to him? Why start something way after the actual tournament when nothing you can do will change the outcome of what happened?
because I was trying to pay attention to my match. I'm just saying this now because I dont want him to judge a big event if he is goin to make judge error.

tecdecs
05/11/2005, 09:43 PM
DukeFireBird is only human like someone pointed out before hes not perfect. If someone appoints DukeFireBird as a judge for a big event than that person must feel that DukeFireBird is good enough.

Martin
05/11/2005, 09:53 PM
Meanstreet stand up.

I'm putting this simple, the regional champion is from San Diego. King Martin's prophecy. Even when I'm not there, I run this. What does this mean? Hmmmm..

cool-dude32
05/11/2005, 10:26 PM
DukeFireBird is only human like someone pointed out before hes not perfect. If someone appoints DukeFireBird as a judge for a big event than that person must feel that DukeFireBird is good enough.
I know NO ONE IS PERFECT before but i'm just saying that he made alot judge error and some of them were question for him. like a boost on a moltres ex, any judge would say NO so far on that question but DukeFireBird said Yes after reading the card.

Water Pokemon Master
05/11/2005, 10:38 PM
Well then why didn't you politely tell him that you believe he is incorrect and ask him to talk to another judge? That's what I would had done...

ToysRUsKid
05/11/2005, 10:58 PM
Why in the world does it matter to you WPM?

Anyway, 3 More Days?

Meh Pumped =)

Water Pokemon Master
05/11/2005, 11:18 PM
Because he keeps talking about it and it's getting annoying. :p

Yeah, 3 more days, and my deck isn't even finalized. This is gonna be a fun time! :D

DukeFireBird
05/11/2005, 11:33 PM
Lets make this simple, PM ME THE LIST OF MY "ERRORS" Thanks!!!

Hot_Carl
05/11/2005, 11:43 PM
A lot of people don't have their decks completely ready. I know what i'm playing, and i'm pretty sure it's at the final list, but i'm trying to make room for one other card I think could help. we'll see.

in 17 minutes it'll be just 2 days away. :D

DukeFireBird
05/11/2005, 11:56 PM
Well, my deck is ready, except for the fact of the "proxy" cards, will be getting them tomorrow!!!, 58 hours and 5 minutes to go!!!

tecdecs
05/12/2005, 12:00 AM
yea 2 more days....why cant time move faster?

cool-dude32
05/12/2005, 12:04 AM
Because he keeps talking about it and it's getting annoying. :p

Yeah, 3 more days, and my deck isn't even finalized. This is gonna be a fun time! :D
I'll would stop talking if you guys would stay out of it.

2 more days to go

Charizard_Breeder
05/12/2005, 02:31 AM
CALM DOWN EVERYBODY...WE DON'T NEED ANY FINGER POINTING!!! IF AT ANYTIME, DURING YOUR MATCH, YOU FEEL SOMETHING WASN'T PLAYED RIGHT. JUST RAISE YOUR HAND AND CALL A JUDGE OVER, IF YOU STILL FEEL THAT THE RULING DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT, CALL THE HEAD JUDGE OVER. THE HEAD JUDGE HAS FINAL SAY OVER ANY RULING!!! AND WHAT??? MASTER TRAINER "LIESIK" IN THE FLESH...VERY COOL!!! :thumb:

NICOLE, NO WORRIES...I'LL BRING PLENTY OF TISSUE!!! :wink:
HOPE ILLINOIS TREATS YA'LL WELL...

Jess_E

DukeFireBird
05/12/2005, 10:46 PM
TIME = 35 Hrs, 15 Minutes

Hot_Carl
05/13/2005, 12:13 AM
one day away peeps.

I feel no need to keep posting about it now, i'll just see everyone there. Remember, i'll be the kid with the bright orange and black shirt, if you wanna say "Hi". (Hot colors, how appropriate. ^^;)

And if it still matters, i'll be going up with 2 other players, Lee and Kevin. (The Fat Kid)

i'll finalize my deck list tomorrow then fill out the sheet. (speaking of which, is it okay to just use the one on the PT&E games site? I'm thinking that's where i'd go.) The dynasty will crush all.

Tomorrow.. all hell breaks loose. SO PSYCHED!

Water Pokemon Master
05/13/2005, 01:44 AM
32 hours, 16 minutes, 10 seconds left!

Hot_Carl
05/13/2005, 04:05 AM
okay, I got the deck sheet, (just needed to read page 1 again.) but I have a question about the venue.

I remember at the community center last time (for the camp pendleton CC) there were computers out in the hall. I'm not too clear on this, but I think they were out there for public use and had an internet connection. Is this true? Because i'll probably want to use one with the spare time before the first round.

thanks in advance.

Scizor
05/13/2005, 09:14 AM
Just getting directions sorted out and leaving this afternoon, see you guys there!

Stripes
05/13/2005, 10:49 AM
I dont really want to start anything between Cali and Nevada again but just like Charizard_Breeder said "Oniel is 15+". Also I'm not saying that we're all prefect, but you did make alot of judge error that day. I dont want to name all of your error right now because it might start some trouble. But if you want to know all of the judge error that you made, then ask me at the SoCal Regional.

If you saw judge error you should have reported to the head judge or confronted Duke at the time of the mistakes. Going on here and trying to make Duke look bad isn't cool especially when you could have brought this all up on the day you saw this happen. Next time you see him making a judge error tell him about it. People can't learn from there mistakes if they don't even know they made one :cool:

BLiZzArD
05/13/2005, 10:59 AM
I'm staying at the Comfort Suites on El Camino Real San Clemente CA and Mapquest is no help on directions could someone please give me directions to the event thanks in advance.

BLiZz

Water Pokemon Master
05/13/2005, 11:16 AM
Cool, Blizzard is coming too. :D

Does the area we are going to have wireless internet, Nicole?

Stripes
05/13/2005, 11:53 AM
Ok, first of all you guys are going to make me cry!! You have NO idea how much we're going to miss you all!

Thanks for all the time you've given to make this game more enjoyable. Sad to see a good person such as yourself move away.

spookees
05/13/2005, 12:04 PM
Blizz...check out the Google maps website ...usually they are better....also
I am bringing my Laptop and I have wireless so depending on the area ...I may have Internet connection,too!!

gnarlychar
05/13/2005, 02:05 PM
hey, bring a dark slowking someone! i need it to complete my deck! Less than one day away...

Lugias_Realm
05/13/2005, 02:33 PM
Blizz...check out the Google maps website ...usually they are better....also
I am bringing my Laptop and I have wireless so depending on the area ...I may have Internet connection,too!!
If someone From TEAM HEAT doesn't WIN, then don't bother coming HOME!!!
I will make sure the borders are notified so best do what ya gotta do.

Hot_Carl
05/13/2005, 02:58 PM
hey, bring a dark slowking someone! i need it to complete my deck!

I have 2, so look for me there. I won't be a strict trader, I might just give it to you if you don't have anything I want.

WeileMom
05/13/2005, 03:27 PM
Hi all,
We'll be at the site setting up late tonight so I will check on the internet questions. I'm not sure if just anyone can use the computers. There will be one really nice lady, named Jo, helping us all day so everyone be sure to say Hi and be courteous! Its going to be a long day for her.

If you're staying in San Clemente, get on the 5 going south. Exit on the Basilone Rd/ San Onofre and take a left at the stop sign. You will see the Marine guards straight ahead. Once through the gate the community center will be your first right in the shopping center. Its the nicest looking building, and the newest.

See you all there!!

PS- I'm looking for (3) ZapdosEX so if you have any for trade let me know what you're looking for so I can bring it

cool-dude32
05/13/2005, 03:28 PM
If you saw judge error you should have reported to the head judge or confronted Duke at the time of the mistakes. Going on here and trying to make Duke look bad isn't cool especially when you could have brought this all up on the day you saw this happen. Next time you see him making a judge error tell him about it. People can't learn from there mistakes if they don't even know they made one :cool:

Read all of the post before start replying

because I was trying to pay attention to my match. I'm just saying this now because I dont want him to judge a big event if he is goin to make judge error.

Stripes
05/13/2005, 03:53 PM
I read that. My statement remains the same...

cool-dude32
05/13/2005, 05:46 PM
I read that. My statement remains the same...
Whatever :rolleyes:

Stripes
05/13/2005, 05:48 PM
Lost in words :)

Charizard_Breeder
05/13/2005, 08:34 PM
This ones for BRAVO...TEAM LA will represent for ya!!! yes sir :wink: and If someone From TEAM HEAT doesn't WIN, then don't bother coming HOME!!!
I will make sure the borders are notified so best do what ya gotta do. - LOL!!! u tell em JOHN!!! hahahaha :biggrin:

see you in the morning...

Lates

Jess_E

Water Pokemon Master
05/13/2005, 08:44 PM
Ahhhh!!!!!!

13 and a half hours left!

Ahhhhh!!!!!!

gnarlychar
05/13/2005, 09:26 PM
I have 2, so look for me there. I won't be a strict trader, I might just give it to you if you don't have anything I want.
sweet thanks! I should be able to reckognize you, even with short hair,lol. soooooo close until the tourny! :thumb:

Hot_Carl
05/13/2005, 10:01 PM
You want a reverse holo one or a regular holo one? I have one of each, lol

12 hours away...

CRIMINAL
05/14/2005, 12:36 AM
take all the hariyama ex and Muk ex's you can guys! :(

kevin-
05/14/2005, 01:15 AM
oh woa.. theres a tourney in 9 hours? why didnt someone tell me?!?!?

/exitwow

Rayquaza 9.0
05/14/2005, 01:27 AM
I am going but no one knows who I am so it dosent matter anyway. . .

Ray

Charizard_Breeder
05/14/2005, 02:55 AM
why am I still UP?? I'm wacky...see ya bright and early!!!

lates

Jess_E

GreatFox
05/14/2005, 03:53 AM
lol.... finally got my deck finalized. Pulling an all nighter seeing as it pointless to go to sleep now (only about 1 1/2 before I would have to get up and get ready anyways)

Team LA is showing up in force (took us a while to finally figure out the carpools, expect 3 full cars to show up).

PS: beware Master Hand! our newest Team member. If you get out of line it will put you in your place. :D

Hot_Carl
05/14/2005, 08:46 PM
I went 3-4. Not a good performance, and a lot of people had high expectations for me today. :/

Well, i'm just tired. I had fun. Sorry I wasn't able to catch you before I got going to say bye, Nicole. Have a good trip, and i'll see you at worlds.

GKOTM
05/14/2005, 09:55 PM
It was a pretty good event. 7 rounds takes a TON of energy (in fact I'm starting to fall asleep as I type).

Went 5-2 in Swiss rounds, then got T8, all with DragTrode. Anyway it was a fun day.

Who won the finals?

Hot_Carl
05/14/2005, 09:57 PM
who was in the finals anyway?

Stripes
05/14/2005, 09:58 PM
Can only guess. Did Duke pull it off?

GKOTM
05/14/2005, 09:59 PM
Martin got into final four ('cause he beat me). Our match took a bit too long so I didn't get to see who else made it to T4.

Did close to everyone HAVE to run Zappy or Ludi? lol

Hot_Carl
05/14/2005, 10:00 PM
i'm pretty sure duke got knocked out of top16 or something like that. not too clear.

Stripes
05/14/2005, 10:01 PM
All eyes are on this thread.

kirbypopstarhero
05/15/2005, 09:56 AM
What a great event it was. Props to the staff and all the players. It was thanks to them that the event ran smoothly.

Alright now to the good part

TEAM LA PWNED

we took both 1st and 2nd with jake m. and jaime g. both deciding not to play in the final match. i wont go into details on who got the official win, but they are both winners.

I personally went 5-2 :tongue: with my "Prize-less" Shedinja deck. If u saw it in action you know what i mean. PLaced in top 8, losing to fellow team la member jake, but dont kno what place i ended up in exactly.

)v(ajin_ipg21 also appeared to support the team. This was also WeileMom last appearance so people had to say their good byes:frown: .

NOW we can really prepare for worlds, now that we have 2 rooms :thumb:

Masterhand!! also likes to thanks all the people he met. He would've said hi but slapping people is his way of saying hello

Until the next tourney, later

TeamLA will also be at e3. Can anyone say media badge:wink:

Flare Starfire
05/15/2005, 09:59 AM
Wow...Zaptrode and Zaptrode....I played both of those guys. From what I could tell they might have had near-identical lists, too. Shame I had my worst luck against them..ugh. Next time.

Charizard_Breeder
05/15/2005, 11:20 AM
ahhhhh, where do I begin...hmmmmm, of COURSE with congrats to TEAM LA members Jake M. and Jaime G. for 1st & 2nd - guaranteed 2 rooms now for WORLD's, can we get MORE??? The PT&E staff, the Weilers - we'll miss you guys and I'm sure this wont be the last time we see you 3, Master Trainer Mike for TEAM LA photo op - yes sir!!! Oh YES, Master Hand welcome to his JUNGLE :wink: !!! a certain "HANG OVER" - nuff said LOL! :biggrin: "Hot Carl's" new hair due!!! Burger King for messing up our order and giving us DOUBLE the FOOD...free food, sure why not!!! The "MP's" for giving Juan aka )v(ajin_ipg21 a thorough inspection...I hope they wore rubber gloves - OUCH!!! ahhhhhh, I can't forget this one: The Swing set *PWNING* Mando and his sweater...you gotta see the FOOTAGE!!! HILARIOUS!!! - Officially known as the Mondo / Swing Incident - if you know who Mondo is or vice versa he knows you, then to get footage you must email kirbypopstarhero - he has final SAY. (kirbypopstarhero@pokemonlabs.com (kirbypopstarhero@pokemonlabs.com))
Paul A. for meeting up with us @ Denny's after tourney was over, the Zesty Nacho's for *PWNING* Meeguel and to Guillmero (your my HERO) our waiter, you ROCKED!!! for not getting *PWNED* by TEAM LA, he held his own!!! For DukeFirebird still looking like "SYNDROME" and busting the FLASH attack...I think that about covers my 3-4 record. If I left anything or anyone out, I'm sorry, I'm only HUMAN!!!

lates

Jess_E

)v(ajin_ipg21
05/15/2005, 02:57 PM
LOL, that summarizes almost all Jesse...

You did miss PAUL PWNING the wall... yeah WALL Walking... o_O
YEAH PaulA said I probably looked like a terrorist XP

Footage, if leo get's it ready I WANT TO host that footage, BTW, MikeL was really cool... props...

I am embarrassed TRUK was there? DID YOU say hi to me???? my bad... did not REALLY recognize you.. lmk

EvaUnit01
05/15/2005, 05:17 PM
:thumb: Congratulations again to Jake and Jamie that's (hi-me) not (J-me). I also want to give props for kirby's Now famous shedinja deck. that thing pwns. And i also have to say good luck and good bye. team LA will miss u nicole. :frown:

Cyrus
05/15/2005, 05:20 PM
Hehe yup, Kirby's Shedinja Insanity is famous! I even PM'ed him asking for a list to play at league XD

ToysRUsKid
05/15/2005, 05:34 PM
yeah, i was there, and i did say hi, but i ran away for some odd reason shortly after -_-..

Report will be up soon.

BLiZzArD
05/15/2005, 09:14 PM
Just made it back to the Hot of AZ and I have to say I'm disappointed nobody mentioned my overwhelming abuse of Exploud and Exploud paraphernalia oh well gonna have to bring even more to worlds. Thanx to all my Cali friends for making the Heat feel welcome thanx to the great judging staff and thanx to all "victims" I mean people that signed the cards for me.

EXPLOUD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLiZz

Cs-God-Poke-Master
05/15/2005, 09:42 PM
When it comes to coin flips we now know who cant flip to save his life X_X

Stripes
05/15/2005, 10:13 PM
Props to LA for there decisive victory. Zaptrode huh? It's a good deck if played correctly I guess. Was it pretty much the same blueprints as of the deck that came second at your states?

Rulemaster
05/16/2005, 12:23 AM
Did SD Pokemom make top cut?

)v(ajin_ipg21
05/16/2005, 01:18 AM
Topcut?
She was staff... working to MAKE the event run as smooth as possible...

Water Pokemon Master
05/16/2005, 09:42 AM
She was out there playing heated battles with all the players. She was so determined that I could see fire in her eyes. Her Zapdos deck really destroyed all of the competition, and she moved lightning fast. She was always the first person out to the pairings and would run to her table because she was so eager to play. I wonder how she did, I haven't heard a thing about her ranking at the tournament since I left.

:lol:

(joking, btw)

DukeFireBird
05/16/2005, 11:46 AM
yah, i went 3-3, then dropped to play in side events. I'm kinda dissapointed that Chrisbo didnt't guess I was Max until round 4...man, can it be more obvious, the shirt, glasses and Jirachi? yah, i also think my sudden flash attack was better than the other one! Thank you for all the new friends I made from team LA and the other teams. The NPPA only had 1 place, Rachel B 4th in the 11-14 with Zap-turn-dos. Great job for all the prize winners!!! Hope to see you all again at Nationals/Worlds!!! (ps. ill be max again!!!)

M_Liesik
05/16/2005, 11:54 AM
Master Trainer Mike for TEAM LA photo op - yes sir!!!

Um, MT Mike did WAAAAY too much to help the Pokemon community for me to take his title. I cannot accept this honor. ;)

BLiZzArD
05/16/2005, 03:13 PM
So MT Liesik it is then see that was easy:smile:

BLiZz

M_Liesik
05/16/2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but then I'd have to teach people the proper pronunciation of my last name. ;)

Martin
05/16/2005, 05:27 PM
I was very disapointed in the way this event was ran to be honest. I have too much respect for PTE games to start an argument over this, but fact of the matter is, having 2/3 game times changed in MID top 16 was simply appaulling.

Now, my step brother Sharif was in a top 16 game in round 1, and with a minute and a half left on the clock drew his last card. He had the prize lead 1-3 against a Shendinja deck. After drawing his card, he was literally forced by the HJ who we will call Mr. X (You know who you are dude) to end his turn. He lost the game because of this, and I guess, well that is how the cookie crumbles. This was during the 60 minute time limit for 2/3.

In the next round of top 16, Judge Mr. X was watching my game only throughout the entire time of top 8. Only my game mind you, which is funny because he did this nearly the entire tournament. I didn't play a single match the whole tournament without having this guy watch me like a hawk. Is it because I am the most talented player on the West Coast? Probably.

It was announced because of time constraints that the 60 minutes in 2/3 was to be changed to 45 minutes. This is simply sickening if you ask me. That is 45 minutes to complete 3 games? If you divide by 3, that's 15 minutes a game, HALF the time a normal game should normally take.

Well, as my top 8 match was going on, I was facing a Dragtrode deck which btw was played by someone who seemed to be a very good player, I had the game lead the entire match. As the time was at 35 minutes Judge Mr. X told me and my opponent that he was going to limit me and my opponents turns to two minutes a peice. This is an obscure ruling, but since I knew I had the game won regardless, I could care less. When I drew my card the next turn, this judge immediatly told me that I had 1 minute to complete my turn. One minute? That is the same legal amount of time to given to shuffle your deck, and I had to complete a turn in that? I coulden't believe it. Anyway, after a few brilliant plays, I ended the match in a victory, and went on to my final 4 game for the trip.

In final 4 it was a heated battle between me and this guy I forgot his name, but he looked like the Karate Kid or something. He was playing some Zapdos deck, and since I AM the King of the West, I knew I should be able to pull this game out regardless. Game one came down to a 1-1 prize thing, and I fell short and folded game one to conserve more time for game two. Game two started with 13 minutes left on the clock, I had a quick start and began taking prizes like nothing (I'm facing a Zapdos, what else would happen?) as the prize came to 2-6 in my favor, my opponent started taking 4+ minute turns, ending with him sending up 3 consecutive Claw fossils for me to knock out. With the time being almost up and me remembering being hounded in top 8, I asked Judge Mr. X (Since he was watching my game, of course) if he was going to shorten our turns like he did to me in my top 8 game, he simply said to me "No. He is doing nothing wrong". Two minutes later time was called and the whole match was given to my opponent for winning game one. I lose the invite to Worlds.

Now, in an event as big as regionals, is it right to change the time limits MID tournament? I mean, fact of the matter is, if given a full 60 minutes I would of won this event, however, I guess they just had to clear everyine out of the Gym and cut our time, even though people were still there hanging out and trading till like 9 pm.

I am not going to discredit the winners, since they did play a long day, but the simple biased rulings I was given all day just bothers me, which is why I think our PTO should do something about. I hope you guys can fix these problems before you have other players get screwed by judges who hold personal grudges. People always say how nobodys always win California events, but with incidents like this, how are us Pro's supposed to stop it?

)v(ajin_ipg21
05/16/2005, 05:40 PM
Even the best have days they just cannot win... =/
*tho you did beat an OLD friend of ours... in the TOP cut...

Ce'st la vie... can seem the whole world can be against you... esp to the most HUMBLE of people and players... right?

So that is how it transpired?
I was busy seeing someone run across a wall...

There is PUI OP... feel free to contact them... what can a humble board like the pokegym do?

Stripes
05/16/2005, 07:34 PM
That's a tough break Martin. That seems like bull the whole time thing. I say if you have any more problems with this judge ask for another. Congrats on how well you did though.

Rep13
05/16/2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah, judge X really should have spread it a little more. 45 is not nearly enough.

Pooka
05/16/2005, 08:48 PM
45 minutes for 3 games? That is sickening to me. How do you honestly expect anyone to get a fair series out of that? I'm not trying to start an argument either, but that's just wrong. Some regular games go 45 minutes. I've played games that have gone well over an hour before. At Worlds, people in the playoffs were given DOUBLE that time (90 minutes).

45 minutes is simply not enough for an entire best of 3 series. I find it particularly amazing that the judges allowed a player to just blatantly stall with Claw Fossils as well. I'm not sure if that is the case, but I trust Martin on his side of the story.

I know the judges are human and will make mistakes. Hopefully these sorts of things don't happen again. I respect the staff completely and I know they work their hardest to make these events the best they can be, but I truly hope some changes are made. I have gotten numerous reports of bad tournaments down in California.

Scizor
05/16/2005, 08:51 PM
I completely agree with Martin. I was there and saw the ENTIRE THING GO DOWN. I just find it amazing that only CERTAIN PLAYERS notice these things. I have never seen this type of thing happen, but it seems like every socal event has to have some problem. I think Martin is handling this in a very professional way also, I don't know what I would have done if it happened to me.

I play slow naturally, anyone who knows me personally knows why this is. I don't stall, I have never had to stall out an opponent for a game. That isn't to say I would NOT do it strategically. I just find it amazing that I can go to 4 major events last year and never get a caution or something for stalling and then I get 2 in one event this year and seemingly judges watching me like they watch Martin.

This is a travesty, indeed. Martin was 100% screwed out of a trip IMO. How come we heard nothing about how long the time was going to be for matchplay in the top 16 BEFOREHAND? It is almost as if it was set up. Martin and I also seem to be the only ones who noticed that our HJ suddenly DISSAPEARED when it was getting down to top 8. Do what you guys want, that is all I have.

Water Pokemon Master
05/16/2005, 09:04 PM
Hmmm. Didn't everyone have to be out of the building by 8 or something? Perhaps everyone was being rushed so you wouldn't be kicked out and would be able to finish the tournament before the time you could be in the building ended. Some things are just unavoidable, and perhaps this was the case. I don't think the judges were trying to be evil to any of you and do what they did on purpose. With a tournament that large, it is kind of hard to have everything run totally on time, and certain cuts probably had to be made so you could all get out of there in time.

Although, I did hate the stalling I saw in some of my final rounds. I wanted to yell at my opponents to hurry up when they were so obviously stalling. "Hmmm, I can't do anything." 4 minutes later... "Your turn!" :rolleyes:

Scizor
05/16/2005, 09:21 PM
I left a little past 9 when Martin was playing for 3rd and it didn't seem like there was any sort of a time problem. That type of thing should also always be planned for, at least announce it or something. An event should be prepared and run like a REAL event, this was a MAJOR event, and I never got that type of feel when I was there. Martin and I were talking about this throughout and after the tourney, it just didn't have that feel, and it should.

Stripes
05/16/2005, 09:22 PM
I know the judges do there best, but when your playing for scholarships, trips, and trophies things need to be handled in a very professional matter.

Cyrus
05/16/2005, 09:30 PM
IP Geek, this isn't about Martin's ego. This is about the fact that he got truly shafted, without exaggeration. Even if he were among California's weaker players, he still would have been shafted. Point is, Best 2/3 only having 45 minute is INSANELY unfair. That immediately gives every raytrode or zapdos player an insane advantage, because they get fast KO's and their opponents usually do not. I don't know if it's biased, but I find it highly suspect. Martin, you deserve the invite (and the trip 10 miles down, hardeeharhar).

ToysRUsKid
05/16/2005, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I do agree for the Non-Zappy Players, 45 Minutes isn't enough.. I was also confused why it wasn't announced that the playoffs were gonna be 45 minutes.

)v(ajin_ipg21
05/16/2005, 09:40 PM
lol
rotflmbo
*even louder*

Not about Martin's ego?
it is... the best of the west... RANDOM won states, blah blah blah blah... ok true I ONLY WANT to see this, and guess what I SHALL...

WHY?
Been there done that.
You think I have not read about this before?
You think I have not read about peeps being shafted?
FRIENDS?
You think I HAVE NOT READ how everyone LOVES to hang their dirty laundry on a HUMBLE POKEMON website... when if they REALLY want to affect change they have to deal with the authorities?

WHy did he not challenge Karl?
Why did he not ask to TALK to another JUDGE?
WHy did he not in a TACTFUL manner postpone this?
He is the player.
HE has a bit of sway and the right to move on up the JUDGE ladder?
HE could have asked for the clarification. HE COULD have had then DIRECT quotes in his post...

NOW?
After the fact?
*YAWN*
Too late. So the post looks whiny.
WOW, he has his allies here on the board... cool... so does all the people he has ever insulted... and I AM TOO old hat to care about any rivalries... and I REMEMBER too much... and history STILL repeats itself...

PLUS, he knows he enjoys the deep-seeded =/ rivalry with the team LA players *yawn....*

SO let him have his day... again I repeat myself...
WHAT DOES POSTING ON A BOARD GOING TO TO DO ABOUT HIS SITUATION?
Nothing...

lol, and NOW that the TOURNEYS HAVE highers stakes?
Man, get to magic... or move on to Hold 'em... this is just pokemon... sorry... but NOTHING new here... nothing...
*love not being an admin... free to say... free to express myself... wwwwhhhhheeeeeeeee*

So I love the friendships... all of this? I dealt with enough of it for a lifetime... and got bored of ALL of this as a mod... I am not going to keep reading this as a *rare* user of this board...

BTW, last time I checked... the judges are human... last time I checked... humans are not perfect.... I made mistakes... and oh yeah.. parents let me know about them... everyone survived...

Cyrus
05/16/2005, 09:43 PM
Lol, best satire of 2005 goes to IP Geek =P

However, just because somebody doesn't shout about this kind of thing doesn't make it right. Most, or the entirety of the rest of the T8 has not come out and spoken about it negatively, yet everyone knows that 45 minutes for up to THREE games is just illogical.

Stripes
05/16/2005, 09:54 PM
If I had a problem if I'd been there I'd gone straight to the top. Karl is a good guy and would have straightened it out. Hopefully this won't happen in any other major events.

WeileMom
05/16/2005, 09:59 PM
From the Pokemon OP Tournament Rules:

22.4. Match Time Limits
Single-game matches are usually limited to 30 minutes; best-of-three matches can
have time limits of 45 minutes to one hour. The specific time limit for each
round’s matches will be announced by the Tournament Organizer at the outset of
the event.

Mike Liesik was at the event and explained the situation. The time limit was changed due to time constraints. Would you have rather had single game finals? 45 minutes was within the rules. NO it wasn't the best situation but the decision was made. We pushed our time limit, and our welcome, at the venue as it was. Don't worry, we won't be holding another tournament there again. As the Nevada players have found, voicing your complaints to the PokeGym will not change the situation nor make it better. Email POP.

Stripes
05/16/2005, 10:03 PM
I don't really complain on here to much. (darn pig)
I guess the event was a learning process.

Tyranitar666
05/16/2005, 10:06 PM
This is an absolute travesty and hands down the worst thing I've seen at a tournament in a LONG time. An hour for 2/3 isnt really enough as it is as 3 games almost NEVER got completed. I don't think I'd seen a single match up that went for three full games in t16 at Great Lakes. Either it ended with first player stalling out game 2 to make it an incomplete game or third game being sudden death. 30 minutes isn't enough to play a normal game if players are even remotely time aware. Every single game I play time played a part either in my favor or my opponents favor. Using Sceptile EX, I either had to get back prizes before time, despite me having no positional threat of losing, or it involved me having no issue sitting there, up on prizes, and Green Heal locking my opponents.

First the fact that there is not enough time for an event is 100% the organizers fault here. Its a major event, with the usual highest turnout for any state in the US ( past attendance shows this ) than proper precautions should have been in place to garuntee that enough time was available for a full t16. I know there were some complaints about the event run in Toledo, but they are remotely objective, and none of them violated standard tournament procedures. It is simply not right to alter time in the finals of a tournament MID WAY THROUGH. Not with trips on the line. It is not fair for those who got eliminated due to stalling, and not fair to those who had lost earlier that would have had game wins if the time had been as before. 45 minutes is one close game. That is it. 45 minutes is criminally low for 2/3. An hour is too low. 45 minutes is simply unfair.

Is it impossible to run a round and simply relocate elsewhere for the final rounds? Lets see....they cut a total of 30 minutes off of t8 and t4...why not "postpone " t2, who both get trips as it is, and move TWO PLAYERS elsewhere to finish the game, and take the 45 minutes from that final round and re allocate it to the other rounds. This actually nets you 15 minutes. Also, this " Complication " seems quite apparent from the start of t16, where you can tell there wouldn't be enough time. This means you can't even argue " Oh, we had to cut the time mid tourney because we didn't know wed run out of time? " Cause thats a blatant lie. I think this event was run HORRIBLY, and california tournaments have a LONG history of butchered events, organization, and judging.

If the same people run another major event here again I think it would be a disaster. Having heard so many things repeatedly about multiple horrible events, why are these people still running tournaments? I did not get screwed in this event. But this is one of the few things that has happened that I think PUI needs to crack down upon. I haven't been one to scream and protest much, but this is one of the few things that I've seen that needs rectified. I can't see anyway to help out Martin, who really got screwed, but so did a ton of other players. I'd love to see him get an Invite and or Trip for this, but I can't see that happening. All I do know is that if that was me, I would not settle for something like that. If someone tried to screw with tournament procedures illegally with such prizes on the line, I would not settle until either the proper procedures were followed or I was simply kicked out of the tournament. If this had happened to me, I would have been furious. I honestly think Martin handled this poorly by not standing up for himself and proper tournament procedures.

For anyone saying " Martin didn't even win " I ask you to look at the matchup. Its Lanturn vs Zapdos. It is the single handed most 1 sided match up of any archetypes being played in this format. Lanturn wins well over 95% of the match ups, and Martin is an exceptional player.

This whole tournament is just another in a large line of Edit CA tourneys. They need changes here. Big changes. How many more players are going to get screwed by illegal procedures? If the same PTO and judges are allowed back, I have lost a lot of respect for PUI over this.

dose pac
05/16/2005, 10:06 PM
We probably just need to have more communication between judges and players.

YoungJohn06
05/16/2005, 10:07 PM
45 minutes for 3 games is absolutely REDICULOUS! I wasn't there, I do not know exactly what took place. However this sounds really crappy. That time frame gives an amazing advatange to Zapdos players like was already stated. Who ever that judge was, really, really needs to learn to be fair to both sides. If you're gonna enforce a player to take a 1 minute turn and then let one of his opponents take a four minute turn that's absolutely stupid and unfair. I cannot see how that isn't looked at as biased judging.

WeileMom
05/16/2005, 10:09 PM
45 minutes is within the rules. If you guys don't like it then email POP and get the rules changed.

I take full responsibility for not booking enough time for the event. I booked the community center so if anyone screwed up it was me.

Martin
05/16/2005, 10:16 PM
Juan, why are you acting like your the last of the Mohicans or something? Dude, chill out. I'm not complaining to PUI begging for a trip I'm entitled too, but I feel the online community should know about what happened in my games. If you don't want to read it, why are you back putting in your two cents? You know me in person, I don't LOOK for trouble. Why are you EVEN posting? You said you don't even care about Pokemon anymore. I care, and I'm here to make things right for the future upcoming players in the great state of California. The state I INVENTED.

By the way, I'm done here. I love Weilemom too much to make her feel bad for the time thing. Since she did book it, then I guess I will accept the loss and move on. I'm sorry if I did anything to disrespect you. I hope you can forgive me.

By the way, Judge X, if you are reading this, and I know you are, you will not be taking another trip from me, I am sure that good will prevail.

Tyranitar666
05/16/2005, 10:20 PM
Weilemom- 22.4. Match Time Limits
Single-game matches are usually limited to 30 minutes; best-of-three matches can
the event.

Well, you sure point out that 45 mine line quite well, but your utterly ignoring the second half which states they are named at the OUTSET OF THE EVENT. See, Mike L being there or not makes NO IMPACT on whether this was proper or improper procedures. Altering time limits do SO MUCH to affect a game. Players enter a tournament with a set time allotment known. Players can assume their deck can function under a set time limit. Decks which could normally do fine under an hour 2/3 often cannot work under 45 minutes due to tempo differences. Had they known the time would have been as before, they very well could have opted to use different decks.

Is there a coincidence that Zapdos excelled under these time restraints? The rush deck? The rush deck with fossils? Seems custom made for a time limit like this, a DIFFERENT TIME LIMIT THAN HIS OPPONENT WAS LEFT TO PREPARE FOR. Its effectively telling someone " You will compete under these rules and conditions " and letting them make all of their unadaptable choices in deck construction for these, than forcing them to compete under completely difference circumstances.

So because " Mike L " is there, doesn't mean he has the power to single handedly re write the floor rules mid tournament. It isn't right to those who are hurt by it. Not with these sort of prizes on the line. The fact that no one stood up and fought this is equally disgusting.

Worlds 2/3 was 90 minutes. Some games a full 3 games couldn't be completed ( Yamato vs Colin? ) and sometimes not even a full two. Hour long time limits at Great Lakes Regionals? My game vs Matt T in t16 finished one complete game and did not finish a second. I played slow towards the end, but played unnecessarily fast in the start as well. I would be surprised, as I said, if a single match was finished by 3 games. An hour is not enough time to finish 2/3. 45 minutes is a disaster. You effectively made it a single game. Tell me how many of those games ended with 2 complete games. I doubt many. If a first game goes even any time, the second game will simply be stalled out by who won the first. There is no legitimate way around this. Its disgusting.

I've heard too many reports from too many different people who are normally on completely different wave lengths who all said the same things occured. Things need done about this and if no action is taken, this is sick. Completely sick.

WeileMom
05/16/2005, 10:33 PM
Weilemom- 22.4. Match Time Limits
the event.

Well, you sure point out that 45 mine line quite well, but your utterly ignoring the second half which states they are named at the OUTSET OF THE EVENT. See, Mike L being there or not makes NO IMPACT on whether this was proper or improper procedures. Altering time limits do SO MUCH to affect a game. Players enter a tournament with a set time allotment known. .

snip...

Actually, I left that in there on purpose. 45 minutes was within the rules, though as you said, this was not made clear at the OUTSET OF THE EVENT. In fact, I'm not even sure if the hour time limit was made clear at the OUTSET OF THE EVENT.

However, I have to disagree with your other statement. You are incorrect. As per the rules, the specified time limit will be announced at the outset- which is when the event begins or when the Head Judge makes annoucements. These annoucements are made once the players are registered and their decks are checked. That's right- along with the help of Professors we check 120+ decks before beginning the tournament. Anyway, the players then CANNOT enter the tournament with a set time known. What are you suggesting? That the players would change a deck that they have been practicing with for weeks? At this point they cannot. So your point is moot.

Once again, 45 minutes is within the rules. We changed the time to fit into the time constraints of the venue- which I take full responsibility for. None of the players suggested heading over to Burger King to keep the time limits at an hour. We ended up finishing sooner than we expected because the players decided not to play for first and second place. One player conceded to the other and Martin was still playing for third.

Please, complain to POP, don't incite a riot here on the board over an event you didn't attend.

Tyranitar666
05/16/2005, 10:55 PM
So you'd prefer that I voice one email to POP over letting everyone know what happened so that the odds of things being fixed are lessened? I am in the process of emailing POP, but vocalizing my opinions is just what a message board is for. If publicity of the event is so bad, than something obviously most have occured wrong or else no one would mind if this got discussed. If nothing went wrong, you'd let us " Riot" all you want.

An Hour seemed to be the standard time for other Regionals in terms of 2/3 time limits, and was also the originally intended time limit for yours. Whether the " Point is moot " or not does not change the illegality of a mid-t16 time change. Even if the time it was changed to is in the legal allowed time, this does NOTHING to change the fact that it was wrongfully changed. And your saying its up to the players now to figure out how to run the event? " No one suggested a better answer, even though they should seem obvious to what should be pretty experienced judges and PTOs so I guess its not our responsibility to think up a simple idea like moving 2 people to another building for an hour? " Sure, blame the players for not suggesting it. I guess its UTTERLY OUT OF THOSE RUNNING THE EVENTS JURISDICTION to make such a decision? DEFINITELY the players fault.

As for the argument that a player may or may not change decks based on time limits. I think that is a very valid argument. I consider time limits very much when opting to use a deck. In swiss, I chose not to use Metagross Steelix Milotic due to the fact that I would lose games on time limit. I felt strong with Sceptile because I knew in a full hour long t16 that I would win very consistantly. Had it been 45 minutes, I would have opted to use a faster deck, and players such as myself, and Martin, had tested PLENTY of decks. I had 7 different decks built with me, and turned my form in last minute with a last minute deck decision. So to say that a player doesn't change decks is wrong. I do it all the time. I like to check out the metagame too. So to say that no one would have chanegd decks is wrong. Decks such as Zapdos and Speed Draggy so much better under short time.

Now onto the " an event you didn't even attend " argument. I guess since I wasn't personally there I can't argument against something that was wrong? No, I can't comment upon things such as " Martin said certain judge told him to end his turn in a set time " or claims like that. As you notice, I did not touch on any of those. I personally believe Martin. I have only touched on claims which so far no one has told me are wrong. You haven't argued that time was changed, the main argument. I guess since I wasn't there, I can't be upset over illegal practices? That makes since. I guess I shouldn't object to the war in Iraq too. I'm not fighting it, its none of my business? Yeah. That makes sense. Thats why things never get changed.

Nicole, I know your not the problem at this event. You don't need to take full blame for this. Karl and Kim are the ones that need to go. They are the problem. I know from Martin what you told him about what they said about him. I know your not a problem with these events, but there ARE problems, and its known that Kim and Karl don't like Martin, but I'm not even trying to look at this from a conspiracy standpoint, because like you said, I wasn't there. I am arguing the points I have a right to argue. I am debating the FACTS which everyone so far has agreed happened. NorCal needs a new PTO and judges for their Regional. BADLY.

Cyrus
05/16/2005, 11:06 PM
Is stalling the right thing to do even if it's legal? Not necessarily

Are 45 minute, best 2/3 the right thing to do even if it's legal? Not necessarily.

I thought it over, and I completely change my opinion. Without any duress (lol XD), I've decided that this issue is no different from stalling. 45 minute time limits are not the right thing to do, but it's legal, within the rules, and something we just have to deal with. Legal stalling is no different, and although I'm aganst that practice in general, if it's within the rules, then who am I to say you can't abuse it?

Carry on with the 45 minute do-hicky, lol. The only thing (policy, person, etc) at fault is Judge X for hovering over Martin, not holding his opponent to the same standards.

Lex Luthor
05/16/2005, 11:19 PM
why did we play 7 rounds? after 6 rounds, Chung was the only player undefeated, so we should've just stopped and made the cut, that would've allowed the finals to have the full hour rounds.

i thought 7 rounds was only for tournaments with over 128 people while 6 rounds is for tournaments with over 64, and we had 73.

33-45 people = 6 rounds and top 8
46-64 people = 6 rounds and top 16
65-90 people = 7 rounds and top 16
91-128 people= 7 rounds and top 32

This whole tournament is just another in a large line of ******** CA tourneys

I take offense at this statement

NorCal needs a new PTO and judges for their Regional. BADLY.

I am the NorCal PTO running the NorCal Regional. I have yet to run a poor premiere event, at least no one has ever complained. We DONOT need a new PTO. Also, I have full faith in the judges I have chosen, especially my HJ, and they will not be changed. I also stand by Karl who's events I have attended in the past and will again in the future.

PokeWisconsin
05/16/2005, 11:21 PM
Martin you definitely got screwed. You need to inform PUI of this and see what can be done. Judge X: you stink!

Tyranitar666
05/16/2005, 11:35 PM
Lex- I'm glad your offended, if your involved with the parties behind this, than it was quite my intention. If you haven't heard any complaints about events, than your ignoring a large portion of your player base, as I have heard more complaints from these tourneys than any others in the history of the game. Yes, this includes Nationals overall. If you'd like to further discuss things, feel free to drop me a PM. No need for personal bickering back and forth on the thread, but feel free to PM me and we can continue if your up for that. Plus, being from "Smallville" why do you travel all the way out to Cali to run events? Jeeze. Lex Luthor...from smallville KS...clever. definitely clever.

WeileMom
05/16/2005, 11:37 PM
So you'd prefer that I voice one email to POP over letting everyone know what happened so that the odds of things being fixed are lessened?

Um...yes

And your saying its up to the players now to figure out how to run the event? " No one suggested a better answer, even though they should seem obvious to what should be pretty experienced judges and PTOs so I guess its not our responsibility to think up a simple idea like moving 2 people to another building for an hour? " Sure, blame the players for not suggesting it. I guess its UTTERLY OUT OF THOSE RUNNING THE EVENTS JURISDICTION to make such a decision? DEFINITELY the players fault.

Actually, if you attended events here in SoCal, you would know that the players often have input as to how events are run. We always take suggestions and try to figure out what is best for everyone. The 45 minute time limit was adopted because the poor woman who had to stay with us for the entire event had been there for hours and had already had to clean up and shut down the boys bathroom because some immature player /players had decided to make a mess in there. Again, I did not book the venue long enough and that's why I take responsibility for the time constraints placed on the 15+ finals. I mentioned Burger King a few times but the decision was made to limit the time instead. What's done is done. No, we probably wouldn't do it that way again.

As for the argument that a player may or may not change decks based on time limits. I think that is a very valid argument. I consider time limits very much when opting to use a deck. In swiss, I chose not to use Metagross Steelix Milotic due to the fact that I would lose games on time limit. I felt strong with Sceptile because I knew in a full hour long t16 that I would win very consistantly. Had it been 45 minutes, I would have opted to use a faster deck, and players such as myself, and Martin, had tested PLENTY of decks. I had 7 different decks built with me, and turned my form in last minute with a last minute deck decision. So to say that a player doesn't change decks is wrong. I do it all the time. I like to check out the metagame too. So to say that no one would have chanegd decks is wrong. Decks such as Zapdos and Speed Draggy so much better under short time.

Players DON'T change their decks after having them checked because its not allowed. We didn't just check the lists. We had the players order there decks as they were written down and we checked all of the cards and the sleeves. The amount of rounds and time limits are ususally announced after all decks and have been checked and players have been registered because the size of the event makes a difference for these numbers. So, if you had tried to change your deck because we announced that we were going to have 45 minute final matches you wouldn't have been allowed to.

You haven't argued that time was changed, the main argument.

Um...because its common knowledge that its true?? Nobody's denying that it happened, and while it wasn't the best situation it was the decision that was made and sanctioned by POP.

I guess since I wasn't there, I can't be upset over illegal practices? That makes since. I guess I shouldn't object to the war in Iraq too. I'm not fighting it, its none of my business?

Oh boy... PLEASE don't even go there!

Nicole, I know your not the problem at this event. You don't need to take full blame for this. Karl and Kim are the ones that need to go. They are the problem. I know from Martin what you told him about what they said about him. I know your not a problem with these events, but there ARE problems, and its known that Kim and Karl don't like Martin, but I'm not even trying to look at this from a conspiracy standpoint, because like you said, I wasn't there.

There isn't a conspiracy. I love Martin to death but I'll defend Karl and Kim too. I don't know what you "know" but this is not the place to be spreading rumors. I honestly can't wait to meet you Chris when we move to Illinois. Somehow I think we're going to be good friends, no joke.

I am arguing the points I have a right to argue. I am debating the FACTS which everyone so far has agreed happened. NorCal needs a new PTO and judges for their Regional. BADLY.

Ok, I can tell you're a smart person so I'm guessing that you think Karl will be PTOing in NorCal? Well, he's not. Anyway, we had the best judges available for our event (Worlds judges) and Karl has never done anything but support and be generous to the players. I consider most of these players and judges like family and I just don't see the point of throwing around insults on the board. Martin and I already discussed some of this tonight and the only thing I can honestly see as being the problem at our event was the time constraint- which was my fault. And I'm not trying to be a martyr here, its the truth and I don't mind owning up to it. I scheduled the event to run to 7:30pm. I know, I know...what was I thinking?

Lex Luthor
05/17/2005, 12:01 AM
If you'd like to further discuss things, feel free to drop me a PM. No need for personal bickering back and forth on the thread, but feel free to PM me and we can continue if your up for that.

Why do I have to PM you?? You've certainly put your opinions all over this thread, why can't I as well?? I wasn't involved in any of this but you got me involved when you said NorCal Regionals needs a new PTO.

If you haven't heard any complaints about events, than your ignoring a large portion of your player base, as I have heard more complaints from these tourneys than any others in the history of the game

I would really like to hear the complaints about my tourneys that you are talking about, because I did say MY events and I do believe everyone has been happy with these.

Plus, being from "Smallville" why do you travel all the way out to Cali to run events? Jeeze. Lex Luthor...from smallville KS...clever. definitely clever.

Yeah, I thought so too

Charizard_Breeder
05/17/2005, 12:57 AM
Is stalling the right thing to do even if it's legal? Carry on with the 45 minute do-hicky, lol. The only thing (policy, person, etc) at fault is Judge X for hovering over Martin, not holding his opponent to the same standards.hey 'Arch feel free to PM Martin's opponent...just so you know, we had one Judge watching Martin's match and another watching the other semifinal match...and to answer your question, no disrespect to you, but JUDGE X was not even hovering over Martin. how would I know??? cause I was watching match. the whole time during the match, the "JUDGE X" as you refer to, was sitting, geeee I wonder where??? next to Martin's opponent, just PM him, sure he'd love to hear your thoughts!!! Marty, what's up bro??? It was won fair and square, besides a POP Official was only there, you could of made your arguement there rather than do what your DOING...nuff said!!!

Jess_E

"LAST POST ON THIS THREAD"

PokePop
05/17/2005, 07:15 AM
Um, MT Mike did WAAAAY too much to help the Pokemon community for me to take his title. I cannot accept this honor. ;)

Then how about MT Mike*
Or Shining MT Mike.
Or Team PUI's MT Mike...
So many choices.

SD PokeMom
05/17/2005, 07:15 AM
Do you out-of-CA players who weren't even THERE (and are obviously only getting one 'side' of the story) but are jumping in with opinions on how 'crappy' all CA premier events supposedly "are" even realize that there are DIFFERENT PTOs for the Northern and Southern CA areas?

No? Didn't think so...:rolleyes:

And as for the HJ "disappearing"...Chris had to leave, since the child he brought to the tourney (his daughter's friend) injured herself on the swings and needed to be taken home. HJ responsibilities were turned over to another judge, and Mike Liesik was fully aware of what was going on.

The event wasn't run "professionally"? Huh? I've worked with Karl/PT&E on Pokemon events since the WotC-era WCSC; IMO they do a great job and take great care of their staff and players. But I'm sure my opinion counts for nothing among the complainers since I'm obviously part of the problem...:rolleyes:

'mom

PokePop
05/17/2005, 07:34 AM
Martin: You "created" California?
What color is the sky in your world? @_o

Tyranitar666
05/17/2005, 08:48 AM
Weilemom- I;ve heard good things about you, it will be interesting to meet you once you move closer. Be seeing you at Nats? Maybe another Regionals or GC?

As for changing deck lists, obviously I couldn't do that, but if I was to register a deck, I would ask the head judge the time limit for events before, as I do feel it is a players right to know what rules they will be playing under. I would think it only right to publically announce time before players dedicate to a certain deck.

And Pokemom- I've sat through almost two years of constant complaints from my friends about the same people messing up events. Some of the people I consider to be my best friends. I guess if your telling me my friends are blatant liars, than sure. I guess I hear " one side of the story " despite the fact that I do read everyone elses opinions, and before I come on here and put my reputation on the line, I am more than sure to look at things objectively. I don't commit to an argument if I feel that things may be swayed in one persons opinion. I try and look at things from multiple standpoints, and I do feel I have looked at all sides in this one. I have heard way too many complaints from way too many tournaments for this to merely be an isolated incident. So you can claim all you want how I wasn't there, I can't argue, but I think thats just an excuse to prevent things from getting done. If nothing happened that deserves some form of change, than why does it matter if people debate it? If everything was fine, no one should mind a bit of debate, no?

I am going to be going to my friend's house right now, and I'll be back later tonight, and I'll check up on the thread again.

Lex- Sure, I have no problem voicing my opinions on this thread. I was just under the impression that the mods would prefer that I say what I need to say via PM in some instances. I'd rather keep this thread to a debate over the problem, opposed to starting a person on person "flame" war or whatever the mods may view it as, as I really don't want to get the thread locked.

SD PokeMom
05/17/2005, 09:12 AM
NO event is "perfect", but if there are "so many problems" with CA premier events, WHY HAVEN'T WE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THEM other than some vague "all Cali events suck" posts on the 'Gym?

Why hasn't anyone brought this up in person with the event staff? How are they supposed to 'correct' issues they don't KNOW about?

'mom

PokePop
05/17/2005, 09:46 AM
Chris: I consider you to be generally level headed, whether I agree with you or not on any particular subject.
However, perceptions can be skewed without the person being a liar.
I'm sure you've heard the expression "There are three sides to every story, your's, mine, and the truth."
Someone in the heat of a high level game can be off in their perceptions of time passing.
I wasn't there, though. You'd have to check with someone that, say, had a stopwatch running.

Regarding the 45 minute time issue:
Yep, I'll agree that was an issue.
I'm sure everyone wishes that they could have kept it at 60 minutes.
However, when your running under time constraints, some decisions have to be made.
The decision was not made in order to hurt one specific player, so I don't think it should be rolled in with the other issues. A decision had to be made. You would have made a different one. I submit, though, that moving the finals over to another location involves a lot more complications than what you might think. Think of everything that has to be done to close down a major event and now lose two or three of the staff from that to run these finals while a reduced number try to shut down and pack up against the deadline.

WeileMom
05/17/2005, 10:19 AM
Regarding the 45 minute time issue:
... I submit, though, that moving the finals over to another location involves a lot more complications than what you might think. Think of everything that has to be done to close down a major event and now lose two or three of the staff from that to run these finals while a reduced number try to shut down and pack up against the deadline.

Exactly!! The players are always first and foremost on our minds but by the time we cleaned up and moved even the Burger King would have closed.

And I agree with PokeMom- if any players have concerns or questions over how the events are run, will you please let us know??? Actually, let Karl know. He's very level-headed and truly keeps the players best interests at heart. I've seen him listen closely to ranting parents without getting upset and he always takes suggestions. In fact, I've never seen him lose his cool.

Anyway, I've personally run at least 6 pre-releases and 4 Cities so I'd REALLY like to know if there were complaints. No one ever approached me (except for parents who were happy that the prerelease ran ontime) so how can I fix what is wrong? Maybe what we have going on is a few moaners making the tournaments look bad. I know Martin's had some tough breaks but I'm sure he would be the first to admit that the fault was not in the tournament alone. The environment is constantly changing and unless the players talk to the TOs and judges, how are they supposed to know?

On a side note, I ran a City Champ. in Temecula that was in less than an ideal location. We were outside and ended up moving to Carl's Jr for the finals because it got dark. We were all freezing (it was November and cold even in CA) but none of the players ever came up and said anything to me. I felt terrible because our players are use to much nicer locations- like hotels and nice game stores.

PokeDad
05/17/2005, 10:50 AM
Quote:

"NorCal needs a new PTO and judges for their Regional. BADLY"

I completely disagree.

Cupertino CA's league, pre-release and tournament play is first class. The facility is excellent. The PTO and helping staff is excellent. The players are the embodiment of Pokemon's SOTG.

I am the father of an enthusiastic 8 year old Pokemon playing son. We travel 3 hours to play in Cupertino. Pokemon is a game that we can play together and has added another bond in our relationship. We are grateful to PUI, and our PTO for all they do for us.

Cupertino is the home to Team Invasion and Reed W. (2nd Worlds 2004, 10 and under). My son idolizes Reed for his superior game play. I told Reed that Charlie was most thrilled that Santa had included a Reed 2004 World Deck in his Christmas stocking, and Reed seemed both amused and pleased in a humble way that Charlie (my son) looked up to him. I am most impressed by Reed's quiet unassuming good sportsmanship in the wake of last year's great success. I think Reed is a great role model for my son.

Chris, your tournament deck report for 2004 Worlds was the best report I have ever read. However, your posts on this and other recent threads demonstrates a bitterness and anger that is disappointing. My son also has one of your 2004 World decks; and while his 2005 deck for City Championship play was a newer version of your deck, I hope my son does not emulate your online behavior. You probably do not realize the positive and negative influence you have on younger players. You could well learn from other successful, but younger, players (Reed).

The players and parents of Cupertino have been welcoming, helpful, sharing, and we value our time spent with all of them.

PokeDad
Ukiah, CA

Lex Luthor
05/17/2005, 01:03 PM
Pokedad-thank you for your wonderful comments about our little corner of the pokemon world!! We love it when you guys make the trek to play with us. See you and Charlie at Regionals:)

Cyrus
05/17/2005, 01:21 PM
hey 'Arch feel free to PM Martin's opponent...just so you know, we had one Judge watching Martin's match and another watching the other semifinal match...and to answer your question, no disrespect to you, but JUDGE X was not even hovering over Martin. how would I know??? cause I was watching match. the whole time during the match, the "JUDGE X" as you refer to, was sitting, geeee I wonder where??? next to Martin's opponent, just PM him, sure he'd love to hear your thoughts!!! Marty, what's up bro??? It was won fair and square, besides a POP Official was only there, you could of made your arguement there rather than do what your DOING...nuff said!!!

Jess_E

"LAST POST ON THIS THREAD"

Haha, I should keep my mouth open, but with a silencer on it =)

I wasn't at the event. However, I heard a bunch of consistent reports that there was a judge X hovering over Martin. I'm not doubting that his opponent won fair and square within the time limits, 'cause apparently Jacob, although called a "random" by a few people on this board, is a very powerful player in the 52-electoral vote state. It would have been nice to see a 60 minute 2/3 (most high-caliber events deserve the 60 minutes, and the lower-caliber ones, the 45). But eh, it's within the rules to have 45 min, so no need to gripe at the TO's and profs.

However, I disagree Martin! Jacob M is king of California on a technicality because he did win states and regionals =P

Stripes
05/17/2005, 01:33 PM
However, I disagree Martin! Jacob M is king of California on a technicality because he did win states and regionals =P

Wait what would that make me then since I beat Jacob at Nevada states? AND I predicted his when at regionals. Ohhh I am good....

Cyrus
05/17/2005, 01:35 PM
Well, then I guess that makes you either a luckbag or an imperial conquerer. j/k on both =P

dose pac
05/17/2005, 02:00 PM
i would like to know why judge x's son player x some how pulls off a bye in the first couple round of the tourney. CA states he got a bye and at regionals he got the first round bye. Iknow that having a bye on your record lowers your resistance in the end but having an auto win while the rest of the field of players have to earn there win is simply unfair. Judge X my only wish is that I can go to a premiere torrney and there be no unfair descions being made. Also I was wondering why sudden death dose not have a time limit. Everyting else has a time limit why not sudden death when we were under such a time constraint. I dont want to point fingers or name name but there was somebody in top 16 whose regular swiss mathes were as long or longer then the top 16 games. He played a deck where nobody would take prizes becuase of a certain power/body on shedinja that said you dont take prizes when its knocked. anyways his rounds would go 10,15 even 20mins after time was called. If you really want to know why we ran out time was because of this pesky deck eating up time that proved to be very precious later in the tourney.

Stripes
05/17/2005, 02:20 PM
Let's not assume something like that about Judge X. Random is random.

WeileMom
05/17/2005, 03:12 PM
i would like to know why judge x's son player x some how pulls off a bye in the first couple round of the tourney. CA states he got a bye and at regionals he got the first round bye. Iknow that having a bye on your record lowers your resistance in the end but having an auto win while the rest of the field of players have to earn there win is simply unfair.

Ok, Ok you guys caught me!!! I messed with TMS to make sure that Judge X's son received a bye at both events. Oh, the shame of it all..

Wait...that's right...we didn't use my computer or program at Regionals...oh well...so much for the conspiracy theory....sigh

::tongue planted firmly in cheek::

CRIMINAL
05/17/2005, 03:40 PM
*butts in*
The decision to cut the final rounds to 45 minutes, i suppose is legal, although unfair. Players have to get over it, since from the information I've gathered was the only viable option the judges had. However, if Martin is not lying, then the real error made by the judging staff was to limit players time taken during turns to only 1 or 2 minutes.
High level players (no disrespect to other players) take much longer than an average player would, and it's not with the intention to stall. The information you have to gather about future turns and the overall outcome of a match takes much, much longer than 2 minutes does, and its not rare for a turn to last longer than 5 minutes at times. I understand there's a time restraint and all, but limiting a player's turn to as small a number as 2 minutes is uncalled for, and can truly change the outcome of a match.
What 45 minute 2/3 matches does is force the players to play somewhat faster when they're behind, and really gives an upper hand to the player who wins game 1(i'd be hard pressed to find someone win after losing the 1st game, even if they scoop 10 minutes into game 1), as they can now mess with time during the 2nd game. Basically, the match becomes a 1/1 match rather than 2/3. It's entirely legal, but it hurts players who don't realize this ahead of time.
I don't know if judges are allowed to limit a player's time to as little as 2 minutes a turn, so I don't know if the judge was playing by the rules or not, but if so, then the rules really need to be changed to accomodate high level competition. If this is not the case, and the judge just took it upon himself to change the rules, then that judge needs to be warned, if not punished for such actions.
About Martin being screwed, I wouldn't go that far. If rounds were 60 minutes his opponent would no doubt have played very slow at the end of game 2, even though he inevitably would have lost. If he were at all good at messing with the clock, he would have entered game 3 with no more than 5 minutes to go in the round and could have very easily taken the 1st prize to seal the game win. (He lost game 2 so goes first during game 3, zapturndos will ohko any threat in a lanturn deck on turn 2 very often.) I would be hard-pressed to see martin win the match under these conditions. Although had the match been able to be completed, Martin would no doubt have the upper-hand, but that is irrelevant)

WeileMom
05/17/2005, 04:04 PM
For everyone's reading pleasure and reference:

10. Stalling/Rushing
The pace of a Pokémon game should reflect the “light competition” mood encouraged at all Pokémon TCG events: play should be moderate and lively, and all players should give their opponents time to consider before committing to a play. If a player attempts to disrupt his or her opponent by unnecessarily slowing or accelerating the game, a penalty must be assessed.
Players who report their opponents stalling or rushing their game may actually be doing so in order to rush or stall the game. The reporting player should never be given preference until stalling or rushing has been established.
When possible, a judge or TO should be stationed at the game in question for a turn or two to observe the pace of play. As soon as it is determined that a player is stalling or rushing the game, that player should be given a Warning. Further stalling or rushing in the same game should result in additional Warnings or higher penalties as necessary.
Please note that per the POP Tournament Rules, section 22.5, each game must have a winner. All Sudden Death matches should be adjudicated by a tournament official to ensure timely completion of the Sudden Death round. If either player is found to be stalling during a Sudden Death match, that player should receive a Prize Card Penalty and would therefore lose the match.
In general, the following time limits for various game actions should be appropriate.
Performing the actions of a card or attack: 1 minute
Shuffling and setup, game start: 2 minutes
Shuffling and deck search, mid-game: 1 minute
Starting the turn after opponent’s “end of turn” announcement: 15 seconds
Considering the game position before playing a card: 30 seconds
Taking a note about the game state in progress: 10 seconds
Completing a Sudden Death game: 10 minutes
Casual Penalty: Caution
Competitive Penalty: Caution/Warning
Casual or Competitive, Sudden Death: Prize Card Penalty
10 and Under: Caution

Now, what I find interesting here is the Sudden Death time limit of 10 minutes, because in the rules document it states:

22.5.3. Sudden Death
As listed in section 13.1, all games must end with a winner and a loser.
Should a match go to time, and a clear winner cannot be determined via
tiebreakers, the players involved must continue to Sudden Death.
Sudden Death play continues the current game, starting with any inbetween
turn effects that take place after the last completed turn in
necessary, until a prize card is drawn. The player drawing the next prize
card is considered the winner of the match and the match ends.
Sudden Death play should rarely last more than 10 minutes and should be
monitored by a judge to ensure timely play. All other rules regarding
timely play still apply, and direct adjudication of the match will help
assure a timely conclusion.

So...although the penalty guidelines state that in general Sudden Death should last no longer than 10 minutes, it isn't necessarily an actual time limit so the judges can use their discretion, as long as the players are not deliberately stalling.

Anyway, my point for posting the time limits is that, as you can see, there is not a specified time limit for you turn, but again, its left up to a judges discretion. And remember, a player can always ask for another judge!

tecdecs
05/17/2005, 05:08 PM
I never heard any problems with Norcals events, I've attended all the events for the past couple of years and they dont get better than this.

I do think that Socals regionals was runned some what poorly there was problems in the 11-14 age group and some in the 15+. Chrisbo, sd pokemom, and nicole all did a terrific job though, there was just a couple staff/judge that was unfair.

I watched martins semi-final match and i do think he got treated unfairly.

CRIMINAL
05/17/2005, 11:23 PM
From what I understand, it's not up to a judge to force the game to go shorter than 10 minutes, it says the judge should ensure timely play, not set a new time limit in which the match is forced to finish, or worse yet, force a player to finish his turn in a very short pre-determined timeframe.

Performing the actions of a card or attack: 1 minute
Shuffling and setup, game start: 2 minutes
Shuffling and deck search, mid-game: 1 minute
Starting the turn after opponent’s “end of turn” announcement: 15 seconds
Considering the game position before playing a card: 30 seconds
Taking a note about the game state in progress: 10 seconds

A 2 minute time frame can and probably will force a bad shuffle, will not allow a player to really assess his current situation, and will more than likely cause a crucial mistake on either side of the table. I just really don't like how such a rash decision was made. I don't mean to attack anyone, I'm just putting my 2 cents in, sorry.

pkmnmstr14
05/18/2005, 12:36 AM
I was a judge at this event and I was sitting right across from Judge "X" judging both games in the semi-finals, first of all it is up to the Judge to impose a limit, and because we were short on time it needed to be done. On top of that Mike was watching over those battles, nuff said.
Alot of you are talking about this being sick and unfair but if you ask me making Nicole fell guilty is what sick and unfair, what had to be done, had to be done and it's been said enough, the different reasons why Martin's turn had to be limited.

The real reson why I came on to post is to thank all of the staff and judges for giving me a chance to Judge in this event, I had a great time and hope to Judge in future events.
Thank you,
Sean Turns

DukeFireBird
05/18/2005, 01:32 AM
GRRRRRR, im getting annoyed about this. Even though I dropped after round 6, i stayed until completion. Last I remember (please correct me by PM if im wrong) a player who got "screwed" was given another chance, but he declined. I forgot who it was. Now if a venue change was suggested, and it was decided against it, then you all lose any argument because you were given a choice. Like Mom said, no event is perfect, trust me, ask Mike about the problems in Nevada with my league (not really, but I could tell you...) And if anybody can say that their perfect, please tell me, and ill challenge you to prove it. WE ARE ONLY HUMAN AND WE DO MAKE MISTAKES. Hopefully we all learn from this "mistake" and it wont happen again. Ill talk with Karl about time constraints and venue etc... Have a great time at any other Regionals and Gym. See you all at Nationa;s or Worlds!!!

Water Pokemon Master
05/18/2005, 01:33 AM
Speaking of Gyms, when and where is ours? I can't find anything about them.

SD PokeMom
05/18/2005, 06:27 AM
Speaking of Gyms, when and where is ours? I can't find anything about them.
http://members.cox.net/ptegames/pokemon/GymChallenge--LA.htm (http://members.cox.net/ptegames/pokemon/GymChallenge--LA.htm)

http://members.cox.net/ptegames/pokemon/GymChallenge--LV.htm (http://members.cox.net/ptegames/pokemon/GymChallenge--LV.htm)

http://members.cox.net/ptegames/pokemon/GymChallenge--SD.htm (http://members.cox.net/ptegames/pokemon/GymChallenge--SD.htm)

'mom

Water Pokemon Master
05/18/2005, 07:03 AM
Gracias amiga.

See everyone June 12th!

Professor Dav
05/19/2005, 04:51 PM
45 minutes for 3 games? That is sickening to me. How do you honestly expect anyone to get a fair series out of that? I'm not trying to start an argument either, but that's just wrong. Some regular games go 45 minutes. I've played games that have gone well over an hour before. At Worlds, people in the playoffs were given DOUBLE that time (90 minutes).

FYI, players who make the final cut at Worlds will get 60 minutes to finish thier 2/3 matches. At Worlds last year, we had few, if any, matches go over one hour. So, on average, that's 20 minutes per game, and you guys are asking for more time?

Magic: The Gathering's standard match time, to my recollection, is 50 minutes. That's 50 minutes for 3 games. Less than 20 minutes per game, and you guys keep telling me that a game of Pokemon takes 30 minutes? Sorry, I don't buy it. It's not that I don't think a game *can* take that long, it's just that it should really be very rare.

I found it interesting that games at Worlds, where the Japanese (who play VERY quickly) were present, our matches flowed quickly, and without incident, but now, we are complaining about 'not enough time'.

I will agree that the reduction of time in the final rounds was sub-optimal. But, from the accounts I have recieved from Mike, it was a decision that had to be made to assure that there would be a conclusion to the event. I am satisfied with this, and have discussed the issue both with him, and PT&E, so that we can avoid this type of action in the future.

On the topic of 'Judge X', I have worked with this person at several events, and I have not a doubt in my mind that there was no partiality in play. Whether he was watching your match 'like a hawk' or not, is really not the issue. A player who claims to be 'the best player on the west coast' should be prepared to take the extra scrutiny of judging staff and spectators, and excel. You shouldn't care if he's over your shoulder, because you are such a great player that you're going to win regardless of how much extra attention you're getting. Being 'the best', as you put it, has it's price.

Prof. Dav

Professor Dav
05/19/2005, 04:52 PM
Let's not assume something like that about Judge X. Random is random.

Thank you Stripes, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Prof. Dav

tecdecs
05/20/2005, 05:14 PM
Magic: The Gathering's standard match time, to my recollection, is 50 minutes. That's 50 minutes for 3 games. Less than 20 minutes per game, and you guys keep telling me that a game of Pokemon takes 30 minutes? Sorry, I don't buy it. It's not that I don't think a game *can* take that long, it's just that it should really be very rare.

You got to remember pokemon and magic are 2 different game. In pokemon theres alot of search cards with pokepowers, trainers, and attacks that lets you search through your deck for stuff. Which takes time to find and afterwards you have to shuffle. Theres less search cards in magic.

pokemon>magic

CRIMINAL
05/20/2005, 08:23 PM
Not only is it common for a game to go 30 minutes, but it usually takes a very weak start by one of the players for the game to go below the 30 minute mark. Just because a series didn't last the full 60 minutes don't assume that each match lasted under 20. A player may have scooped early, may have been benched or may have just been steamrolled, or a match may have only gone 2 games. 45-50 minutes is NOT enough time for a 2/3 series in pokemon. You might as well make it 1/1 and save some time, cause thats really what it becomes.
Being "the best player" (which he isn't ;)) shouldn't be subject to extra scrutiny, impartiality, remember?

Stripes
05/20/2005, 09:34 PM
Being "the best player" (which he isn't ;)) shouldn't be subject to extra scrutiny, impartiality, remember?

Martin is like me. We're both public figures that have made are selves big reputations. Sure the Nevadan one of us may be a bit more popular and have a slight iq advantage, but Martin and I are somewhat alike. Figures such as ourselves are indeed subject to extra scrutiny and impartiality because that's the boat we put ourselves in.

WeileMom
05/20/2005, 11:26 PM
Martin is like me. We're both public figures that have made are selves big reputations.

Keyword = made

You know what's going to come of this, don't you? You're going to chase away the best and most impartial judges we have. You'll then be left with LA players judging LA events and SD players judging SD events. Won't that be fun? I'm sure you all will be SOOO very impartial....
Admit it...players never trust other players as judges so be thankful for what you have.
No, I'm not saying don't question them but try to not insult people on boards before talking to them in person.

SD PokeMom
05/21/2005, 08:25 AM
Actually, Nicole...there will be NO judges, since playaz would rather play than give that chance up to judge so everyone ELSE can play...=/

'mom

Martin
05/21/2005, 10:05 AM
Crim, you didn't even show up to regionals because you're poor. I had the stuff for your deck and you didn't even show up. Get a JOB! =D

*Passes Stripes a cold one*

People just love to see the ones at the top suffer.That's all. You know, just because I'm better looking, wealthier, and have more style than the rest of you dosen't mean you should judge me. Thank you for your time. I'm out.