PDA

View Full Version : Hyp's Midwest Regionals Report

HypnosProjectHQ
05/16/2005, 05:09 AM
My record wasn't very hot for the tournament. I ended up going 2-4. I've never done that badly in a tournament. So much for being the 15+ ownage that I hoped to be. No biggie. I had fun anyways, and that is what counts.

Matt and Eric picked me up at the Kwik Trip in Oconomowoc at 9:00. We talked decks on the way to Madison and talked about people who play Pokemon too. It was pretty funny (I'm not getting into details). We got there at 5 to 10:00. They opened the doors at 10:00, and we went inside. We were the first Team Wisconsin players there. All else who was there was from the Minnesota crew and the first group of Team TYI.

We play tested a bit. I traded for some cards. I sold some kid from Minnesota a Dark Steelix for 2 bucks. Then I bought a Sandstorm pack and pulled the ultimate Reverse Holo Mysterious Fossil. I had Drackmere sign it for the memorabilia of the day. Right now its sleeved and put away in a box.

Eventually, throughout the morning, I was able to meet Drackmere, ThunderChicken, Selrahc, swanton1717, Meganium45, and RaNdOm. I also met up with some familiar faces such as BigChuck01, Ness, banginbox, The Deuce, and TormentedSoul14. Basically all the Pokegym names from the entire midwest were there.

Round 1 - John (Ninetales/Magcargo)
This game was quite easy for me. All I needed to do was to keep him on the edge and let him build Ninetales ex's so I could OHKO them when we brought them active. I managed that, taking 6 prizes from 3 Ninetales ex's.
1-0; 3 points

Between rounds we talked to hypnotoad1234 and were trying to get him to fight Bigginzzz. I would have payed money for that fight, but oh well! Turns out I was the one "fighting" Bigginzzz. :biggrin:

Round 2 - Ryan (Jumpluff/Lanturn/Gorebyss)
Ooh... its Bigginzzz. I basically had everything but an advantage in the game and he used that against me. I was able to take out one Jumpluff and one Lanturn, but that wasn't enough because he came back and took me out quite quickly.
1-1; 3 points

Round 3 - Larry (Dark Tyranitar/Glalie)
Larry was the person I sat across from at the Brookfield Emerald Prerelease while I built my deck. I knew him (not well enough, though). It came down to 2 prizes to one. Unfortunatly he top decked the Boost Energy which got him the game...
1-2; 3 points

Round 4 - Ryan (Ludicolo/Magcargo/Dark Steelix)
Bullados!?! Whats up? Anyways, he got Dark Steelix built and I was worried beyong belief. I was actually able to OHKO it after making many, many sacrafices. Unfortunatly, he got another one built and that was pretty much it. Good game.
1-3; 3 points

Round 5 - Julie (Blaziken/Magcargo/Magneton)
This game was pretty not cool when I started. I had a horrible start. Thankfully I pulled a Swoop! Teleporter so I could get a Dunsparce in place of a Pidgey. I saved myself, built up my Pokemon, and was able to pull off a win.
2-3; 6 points

Round 6 - ??? (Zapdos ex/Manectric/Magneton/Delcatty)
I really can't believe I didn't win this one. I had an extremely poor start. I had the largest energy drought of the tournament in my final game...
2-4; 6 points

No regrets. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't play the same deck. Maybe I'd go with something like Gardevoir or Ludicolo. Oh well.

Props:
-All the people I met. Too many to name right here again
-Matt and Eric for the ride
-Matt and Eric for bringing my stuff to league this Wednesday
-Paul for the ride home.

Slops:
-Pulling another Groudon from my Emerald pack.
-Judges banning the ritual of the shouting of 'Poooooka'.

When I got home, I found out that my cat would have to be put to sleep today. I also found out my brother had been shot in the eye with an airsoft gun and is still temproarily blinded. At least Sunday I got to go to a party and I met my best friend's entire family. They are a cool bunch of people and I can;t wait to see them again sometime.

The oddly feeling...
~Hyp~ :confused:

dld4a
05/16/2005, 12:35 PM
Good to see you again Hyp. Really sorry about your cat, that blows! Hope your bro's feelin' better, I've had that done. It's wierd.

Hope the next tourney works out better for you.
Dave II

HypnosProjectHQ
05/16/2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks Dave.

ST Pika
05/16/2005, 03:33 PM
I hope everyone is ok over there, Derrick... and believe, I can relate to that 2-4 pain...

AbsolutelyNobody
05/16/2005, 05:17 PM
ah, too bad Hypnos. May i ask what you played (you dont have to reveal, so at your discretion).

Mathorn1
05/16/2005, 08:34 PM
dude that sucks. What a crappy day for you going 2-4 and having such bad news when you came home.

Kevin

Rulemaster
05/16/2005, 11:23 PM
how the heck does cody shoot himself in the eye. good report, see you at league

PokeWisconsin
05/17/2005, 12:28 AM
I hope Cody is OK to go to league this week!

HypnosProjectHQ
05/17/2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah. Cody'll be at league this week most likely. As will I.

I won't be revealing what I played. Maybe with some tweaking I can make it work. If not, we'll see.