PDA

View Full Version : Madison, WI brief report and THANX BANGINBOX!!!

meganium45
05/16/2005, 10:37 AM
Brief report!

Congratulations to the 10- champion QUINN and 2nd place JAMES both from Chicago who will be making the trip to WORLDS!!!

Andrew 5th (tiebreakers) missed the playoff cut, and got to sit and watch has friend James win the trip!!

Disappointed to only see 10 10- players, but, the place and the group did not seem extremely kid friendly...so...won't go into that any farther.

MAJOR PROPS to Banginbox (JIMMY) and his family for allowing us to stay at their place, and dragging us to and from Madison for the event! You guys absolutely ROCK!!! James and Andrew had an absolute blast staying together for about 2 days straight....

You talk about a guy who will bend over backwards to make sure everything is great for his guests! Jimmy absolutely did that for us!

Major props to Jimmy, Debbie and Colin for coming through during our hospital madness of Saturday night...happiness is checking out of a hospital at 4:00 am after getting up a 6:00 the day before !!

Everyone is fine...no more needs to be said...but even without winning, this was a GREAT TRIP!!

See you ALL in Memphis!

M45

bullados
05/16/2005, 10:56 AM
Can't wait for the full Pojo report bout this thing, Vince. Cya again in Niles (hopefully)

dld4a
05/16/2005, 11:28 AM
Nice to see you again Meg. Glad you and the family had fun. That's one band wagon I'll be happy to jump on, Jimmy and his kids are the best! See you in Niles.

PokePop
05/16/2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah, the number of 10- in NJ was also small.

We all need to come up with ways to increase that group.
Kids that age are very into Pokemon. My son's Cub Scout troop (8 years old) are happy to have League days, but they need greater exposure to the TCG...

SLOW DECK
05/16/2005, 03:10 PM
Of course Quinn made it to Regionals, but my 8 year old Jason had his choice between Regionals and his Baseball game, quick answer was baseball. So everyone did not have face his fast Zappy deck!! (An deck perfect for an 7-8 year old.) We would have brought some of the boys friends to play, but they had baseball/soccer conflicts.

Quinn had a Piano recital that he had to miss to make it to regionals. Baseball / Soccer conflicts are very common, May is the month of overbooked weekends. I see a post on League attendence dropping, Spring sports just overloads the April/May/June.

The good news is that Quinn get's to go to worlds, the bad news is that he will be 11 when he get's there.

SLOW DECK
05/16/2005, 03:19 PM
Idea's to increase the 10- age group.

Quinn run's pokemon tournaments with friends in the neighborhood, but I suggested that they play 40 card decks with NO Trainers. I think they have one or two tournaments each week. I think they run one or two trainers now, but the mini-deck concept is much better for the newer and younger player.

Remember the original Pokemon game had "basic" rules with 30 card starter sets. I think if Pokemon started to sell 30 or 40 card "STOCK" decks, that kids can play off the shelves in tournaments, that would be great to grow the 10 and under group.

Trying to teach the game to people with a 60 card finely tuned tournament ready masterpiece modified championship deck just does not work. Having a new player going into a tournament with a slightly improved theme deck, and have them being completely outmatch isn't good for the game.

Rulemaster
05/16/2005, 04:05 PM
i guess if they want to learn the fundamentals first yes, its ok. then go to easy 60 card decks and work on up

yoshi1001
05/16/2005, 06:13 PM
Of course Quinn made it to Regionals, but my 8 year old Jason had his choice between Regionals and his Baseball game, quick answer was baseball. So everyone did not have face his fast Zappy deck!! (An deck perfect for an 7-8 year old.) We would have brought some of the boys friends to play, but they had baseball/soccer conflicts.

Quinn had a Piano recital that he had to miss to make it to regionals. Baseball / Soccer conflicts are very common, May is the month of overbooked weekends. I see a post on League attendence dropping, Spring sports just overloads the April/May/June.

The good news is that Quinn get's to go to worlds, the bad news is that he will be 11 when he get's there.

If PUI could fix that problem, they wouldn't have to make Pokemon Cards. :wink: