PDA

View Full Version : Are we being cheated of ex's in a box compared to Japan?

Freddy K.
02/11/2006, 10:06 PM
Speaking to some people online I understand that you have better chances to 'pull an ex' from a Japanese box in comparison to a US/European box.

Perhaps people have known this for some time but when people only find one ex per box of ex: Legend Maker out of 36 packs, and I then find that a well-respected online friend and regular poster of the Pokegym TRUK pulls the following out of a Japanese box of 20 packets: Mew ex, Arcanine ex, Dustox ex, Armaldo ex, Regice*...

...isn't it time that we petitioned for more ex's in a box?

~fK

Metagross_Ex
02/11/2006, 10:21 PM
If that's true, then I agree.

SD PokeMom
02/11/2006, 10:26 PM
I just opened a sealed box of LM this afternoon, and got two EXs and a *; have people pulled 'only one' EX from a _sealed box_ or from '36 packs'?

'mom

Veritech
02/12/2006, 12:01 AM
Perhaps people have known this for some time but when people only find one ex per box of ex: Legend Maker out of 36 packs, and I then find that a well-respected online friend and regular poster of the Pokegym TRUK pulls the following out of a Japanese box of 20 packets: Mew ex, Arcanine ex, Dustox ex, Armaldo ex, Regice*...
~fK
Your friend's lucky. I bought two Japanese boxes of Eidolon Forest, and got 3 ex, 4 ex, respectively. No stars, however, and I didn't get any doubles, so I have one of each ex for Eidolon Forest.

DarkTyranitar
02/12/2006, 12:11 AM
I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU!!! :mad:

(In fact, I was planning on starting a thread on this topic.)

Out of a box of the Legend Makters Boosters I've gotten, I pulled exactly TWO Ex's. However, in comparing notes I discovered a guy I know who only pulled ONE EX out of a complete booster box.

What has been just as disturbing (if not more-so) is the fact that my booster box only had one of the rares (numbered 1 through 10 or 12), with a number of them missing.

:mad:

- Tony

butterfly719
02/12/2006, 01:10 AM
The Legend Maker boxes contain any of the following possible combinations:

2 EXs
1 EX + 1 *
2 EXs + 1 *

There are no boxes that contain only one EX..that was Delta Species. If someone, for some reason, does happen to stumble upon a box of LM with only one EX, it is probably a factory error. I would guess those boxes are far and few between.

Also, considering there are only 7 EXs in Legend Maker, I think the 2 EX per box ratio is fair. If they gave any more than that, people would be completing their sets in no time, resulting in a loss in sales for Nintendo.

NoPoke
02/12/2006, 04:56 AM
cheated seems like far too strong a word. It probably isn't common knowledge but my understanding is that several of the non-collecting tournament players buy the Japanese boxes because it is a more reliable way of getting multiples of the significant card in each release.

Mewchou
02/12/2006, 05:26 AM
Getting only 2 EX out of my box was very disappointing. Worse than DS.
1 box of DS = 33% of the Exes (1/3).
1 box of LM = 29% of the Exes (2/7).

But then I went back and looked at Unseen Forces
1 box of UF = 23% of the Exes (3/13)

So I guess that it could be worse, but I'd still like to see 3. I can't explain it, but the number seems....right.

jesschow12
02/12/2006, 06:20 AM
in order to not let yourself cheated,go buy japanese sets from today onwards

NateDawg161992
02/12/2006, 06:31 AM
I got an EF box in Japanese and pulled Mew, Dustox, Walrein, and Registeel. At my pre I saw someone open a whole box and pull 1 ex.

Hummers2187plus3
02/12/2006, 06:33 AM
1 Box of Unseen Forces 23% (3/13) Wow i didnt realize how much we really got cheated out of our exes. We should get about 6 per box like the good old days, OR GIVE US SECRET CARDS. I like it when i open a box of TATM and get jirachi.

Benlugia
02/12/2006, 07:27 AM
I just opened a sealed box of LM this afternoon, and got two EXs and a *; have people pulled 'only one' EX from a _sealed box_ or from '36 packs'?

'mom

sealed box. ice cold got a box of legend maker for judging a prerelease and only pulled a flygon ex.
on another note, i too bought a japanese box back in december and got mew ex, walrein ex, flygon ex, and dustox ex. however, just because me and truk both got mew ex doesn't mean they are in every box.
i agree--more ex's should be in boxes. especially since some of the holos in japan aren't holos here (and many other rarities change). why must the US demand and market for them be so darn high?

TheDarkTwins
02/12/2006, 09:38 AM
This is the dumbest arguement in my eyes...
The JPN Boxes have a holo in every pack... So why not do that do?? While your at it lets take out the RH since the "JPN" dont get them?? I think that you should be happy that we get a RH of almost every card...
Not to Mention if you did what most of you want we would completely Destroy the value of the cards which is a bad thing... Cards need to have some value... or there is no point to Collect at all since everyone can get them cheap... I want to see the point of have a mandatory 3 Ex's or 2 Ex + 1* in a box??
Oh look i opened up a Delta Species box i pull all 3 Exs! If they did that the cards would be worth like 1.00 or so...
Not a good thing....
Drew

Prime
02/12/2006, 09:41 AM
The main point about less EX's being in boxes is that it requires people to buy more packs and gives more money to Nintendo. But IMHO, if boxes had 4 EX's per box, people would be going out and buying a lot more packs because the odds of getting an EX would be higher. So Nintendo doesn't really have a good reason why not to give us 3-4 EX's per box IMHO.

But I guess they don't need one, they control everything and they gave us Delta Species after all which was the worst set for EX's we have ever seen. To me it only shows that TPC cares more about their customers and less about money than PUI does. I'm not saying that PUI doesn't care about their players though. Arg, here I go rambling on again.

BLiZzArD
02/12/2006, 09:51 AM
my box of LM had 3 ex's RK9 Mew and Armaldo and I haven't seen a box get opened that didn't atleast have 2 ex's in it

BLiZz

GOROY
02/12/2006, 09:54 AM
I agree that it is getting increasingly hard to complete these sets- It is really annoying how much money I need to spend to get even 1 ex, and then I get how many zubats, tapinches, dittos, etc...
I would be overjoyed if they gave us more ex's and premium rare cards like they used to, and I really could care less for how expensive the cards go for individually, if I could buy a good ex for less than $10 because they print a lot more copies of the cards- then I'd be in heaven...But this is just my opinion.

Rainbowgym
02/12/2006, 10:05 AM
What everybody seems to forgot.

This is supposed to be a kidsgame. KIDS
Tell me how they can even lay hands on 1 or 2 EX pokemon to build a deck around.
It's too expensive and the main reason Pokemon Organized Play will be only played by the rich ones.

If your parents have enough money to pay (and are willing) you have the best change of winning a tournament.
In Europe there are less and less younger players, how come???
Even at Premier Tournaments players get much less prizes, so also less changes on those wanted EX cards.
The 6-6 variation was gamewise the best.
The 1-2 variiation saleswise, but the collectorscene is melting. Not many collectors left over here.

RainbowRichards
02/12/2006, 10:19 AM
JPN boxes of EF were pretty good - 3/4 exes and sometimes a * in addition (but I DID have one box with only 2 ex holos, too).

On the other hand, my JPN boxes of Delta Species had loads less ex holos than the English counterpart - namely ZERO :lol:!!!

Benlugia
02/12/2006, 10:53 AM
drew, delta species i can understand if there was one ex per box. there were 3 exs in the set.
legend maker makes no sense though. theres 8 exs and some people are only getting one per box. thats rediculous.

RainbowRichards
02/12/2006, 11:16 AM
@ben - the set has 7 ex holos, and the average box contians 2 exes.

Adam Garcia
02/12/2006, 11:19 AM
i would buy JPN boxes and try to get them english so we can play them in tourneys

Shiloh Phoenix
02/12/2006, 11:30 AM
Pokepedia them. That's what I did for my 3 Japanese typhlosion ex.

Kempley05
02/12/2006, 11:44 AM
I noticed that I played 6 decks at the slough prerelease today, including my own 7, so thats 56 packs opened, not one had an ex.

TheDarkTwins
02/12/2006, 12:20 PM
IMO, you should be happy for a few things that now come in packs...

1. There are Ex's, These Cards are actually worth something... I remember when there were No Special Holos to get and the Best Card was not very good and was only worth something Cause of its name not because it was able to be played...

2. I remember also that we didnt have RH in packs at all... I believe this card is a little better than getting 5+ Commons in a Pack, Yes the downside to this is that the Packs were Reduced to 9 Cards.

I just think you should be happy you can get cards that are worth something rather than opening a box that you can get for maybe 70 and pulling half or less than half what you pulled out of the Box...

I mean i just think that we are close if not on target when open box getting equal money value from the cards that we paid for a box...

Drew

Lawman
02/12/2006, 12:22 PM
Kempley: Playind decks and pulling EXs are 2 diff. things. My son pulled Dustox EX but no wurmples and cascoons to build it up. My guess, some got the EXs, but didnt have the basics/stage 1s for them.

As for the numbers of EXs, Rainbowgym hits the nail on the head. How can a "kids game" continue to be a kids game when the kids cant get to the EXs they all crave?? Likewise, many kids like to complete the sets and it makes it more difficult and expensive to collect them, much less make a deck w/ 4 EXs in it.

Drew: I could care less if the "value" of the cards go down, too bad for the sharks like you to have to "eat" some of those costs or choke on the overvalued prices you set for your auctions.

The EXs need to be increased in the boxes or we will see a big spike in japanese booster box sales.

Keith

Benlugia
02/12/2006, 12:50 PM
IMO, you should be happy for a few things that now come in packs...

1. There are Ex's, These Cards are actually worth something... I remember when there were No Special Holos to get and the Best Card was not very good and was only worth something Cause of its name not because it was able to be played...

2. I remember also that we didnt have RH in packs at all... I believe this card is a little better than getting 5+ Commons in a Pack, Yes the downside to this is that the Packs were Reduced to 9 Cards.

I just think you should be happy you can get cards that are worth something rather than opening a box that you can get for maybe 70 and pulling half or less than half what you pulled out of the Box...

I mean i just think that we are close if not on target when open box getting equal money value from the cards that we paid for a box...

Drew

i think someone who sells cards for a living shouldn't have an opinion, considering we all know what it will be.
of COURSE you want them to be rarer--its no problem for you. you buy like, what, 6 cases of every set? you are practically guaranteed to get every card in the set, but you aren't a collector--you are a seller (and a player, but, a little bit different than the rest of the players of the game). see, while you are buying your insane amount of boxes and selling single cards for insane prices, you are also building decks with the cards that you obtained so easily because you buy the cards in surplus. for the rest of us, it might be one or two packs a week. it wouldn't be a problem for you if the amount of ex's stayed the same because you get plenty of them either way. for the rest of us, sometimes, getting even one box is lucky, and when we don't pull the cards we need, then what? its an undeniable fact that ex's and pokemon*'s have a lot of trade value and are the most wanted cards in sets. people don't want the cards that aren't ex's or pokemon*'s unless they have good playability, the people are collectors, or if they are reverse holo and are needed to foil a person's deck. however, its people like you who wave the cards around as if they were nothing. for us collectors and players, its 10x more difficult.
*puts up shield to protect himself from flame war*

PokePop
02/12/2006, 02:14 PM
Well I don't sell cards for a living and I agree 100% with what Drew said.
Do you remember how WotC handled rarity?
They made sure to make cards easily available to everybody, no matter how exclusive the original distribution was. It destroyed the collectibility of the cards. People lost interest.
What was the point of working hard to get a card if they were going to be so common in six months that they'd be used as wallpaper by some people?

PUI, on the other hand, has created different classes of rarity without going overboard with it.
In packs, we have *s and exes, where it will take a few boxes of cards to complete your set, but you're not going to have to work through 50 boxes like some of the super rares in other games make you.

For promos, we have POP promos that are not too hard to get, given the number of packs an active player can earn while there are other event specific promos that can in fact be pretty rare. These promos tend to be stamped versions of otherwise available cards, so players don't mind missing out on them and collectors are kept happy with rare variants.

Now, you might say, as players, why would you want any cards to be extra hard to get?
In short, for the health of the game. Remember, players are a small percentage of those that buy the cards. A lot of players only get the cards they need for the decks they play. Not a lot of money there.
Sure, there are others that buy mega amounts of cards, but that's being a collector not a player.

The interest of collectors must be kept.
If you can complete a set by buying one box of cards, the collector is going to get bored and leave the game.
THis happened with Jungle, Fossli, and Team Rocket.
We're still recovering.

Rarity is important, but the balance must be found.

Myn_donos
02/12/2006, 02:15 PM
me and a friend spilt his box of judge support for DS, he pulled jolt ex, i pulled Vap Ex(not bad i know)

we split my box of Legend maker, he pulled Walreign(SP?) EX and i pulled Armaldo EX, dunno if he got antoher EX or *(i had to leave) but we got 2 ex's in our judge support(dont hate me!)

btw.. how much does a japanese box go for???

RainbowRichards
02/12/2006, 02:50 PM
btw.. how much does a japanese box go for???

Pretty consistently $65 - $69 plus shipping of between $5 and $15. Remember, though, the JPN box contains 20 packs only...

Loser626
02/12/2006, 03:21 PM

Tell me how they can even lay hands on 1 or 2 EX pokemon to build a deck around.
It's too expensive and the main reason Pokemon Organized Play will be only played by the rich ones.

If your parents have enough money to pay (and are willing) you have the best change of winning a tournament.
In Europe there are less and less younger players, how come???
Even at Premier Tournaments players get much less prizes, so also less changes on those wanted EX cards.
The 6-6 variation was gamewise the best.
The 1-2 variiation saleswise, but the collectorscene is melting. Not many collectors left over here.

Well, if you look at it from another view, its not always the "rich kids" that will win. If I recall correctly, what won worlds last year? A nidoqueen, with a milotic stuck in there? Tell me if I'm wrong but where are the Exs... I didn't see any. And the year before, we were blown away with a bunch of Magma cards... still with no Exs. Before the events, those decks could have probably been completed without the need of buying 4 or 5 boxes. All you need is a little bit of brainstorming and you can create a deck without dishing out hundreds of dollars on a bunch of metagame cards that are just going to go out of style as soon as a better card comes out.

As nintendo has it now, the current pack contents are perfect for kids. They will alway come out happy when they see a shiny cards mixed with all the other ones... I sure beats the disappointment in their face when they didn't receive anything.

In this whole ordeal with "I didn't get any exs" moaning, we forget why we play in the first place. TO HAVE FUN. If it really makes that much of difference, look at it this way... you might be holding in your hand a card that, to everyone else, may look like a crappy two dollar card, but in the end... if played just right... it may just amount to a whole crap load of scholarships and enough cards to last you til next time.

Rainbowgym
02/12/2006, 04:00 PM
Loser626

Your story is only valid for USA players.
Tell me how a kid in my country were there are almost NO places to play or trade can obtain the 7 holo cards for the Nidoqueen deck.
4 Nidoqueens and 3 Pidgeot's are as hard to get as 2-3 EX cards.
And those Magma decks also contained 6 or 7 holo's.

Currently some of my players has a non holo deck running, and it works very well.

Yes we play for fun, but for a lot people OUTSIDE the USA, it's very very expensive to play this game.
We don't get the prizesupport as you have.
WE have NO judgesupport, NO or almost NO prizes at Premier Events.
And we have if we are lucky 1 change to get to Worlds.
Scholarships????? At Nationals only and a fraction of what USA players can earn.
Travelallowances to Nationals never heared of.

And last we have to pay around $4,50 a booster, really a childfriendly prize. Come on.
Read this

Played total of 7 CC's.

Entrance payed 22 x 5 Euro = 110 Euro/132 dollar (and 2 free CC's)
My car made a 2644 KM and uses 1 liter gas on 10 KM. Gaz 1,30 a liter so that's Euro 343/411 dollar only on gas.

WE got a total of 71 boosters while if we did the same in the USA we would have 300 boosters.
That's a difference of 229 boosters = over 6 boosterboxes we missed (in money about 600 Euro/720 dollar)

Sure, Europe is not the USA.
We pay more we get less.

How do you think we get our decks? Because I pay heavy for those cards. Not only Exes.
It's a richmans game period. Ex or NO EX in your deck, you need at least a few HOLO's.
And to get those HOLO's somebody has to open boosters or buy them single and they are not cheap.
And finally we have to deal with sellers/traders who are not willing to ship to you (see your own signature).

As from a collectors point of view, I'm almost at the point quiting it. For us it's no fun anymore to collect.
Sorry but spending every 3 months over 400 Dollar to get your collection complete is really not encouraging collectors.
And Promocards?? Were should we obtain those, No leagues a few tournament per year.

However what I mean to say, don't call it a kidsgame, because the prizetag says it's a very adult game.
Kids don't get 4,50 a week to spend average they get 5,00 a month untill the age of 10-11.
And even if they get more, parents (who are not playing themselves) will not allow those kids to spend all their money on cards. And even if they could it's simply not enough to get a deck with 7 holo's.

ToysRUsKid
02/12/2006, 04:30 PM
Oh its true, <3 my japan box <33

Shellshock929
02/12/2006, 04:32 PM
i seen someone get 3x ex's and 2 * out of a sealed LM box.

Loser626
02/12/2006, 05:02 PM
RainbowGym: Even though some of us do not ship overseas, there is still a good amount of people who do and I'm sure that with those 71 packs, there must have been enough get what you need.

I don't know where your calculations came from, but if you did the same here as you did in your CC, it would only amount to 132 packs... not 300. Furthermore, Judge support is to the TO's discretion.. its not mandatory nor provided by POP. Prize support has turned crap as well. The winner of a Pre only get a winner's pin (Whoop-de-doo) while everyone gets 2 packs and a deckbox.

And how far did you travel to get to these CCs? After the math, that amounts to about 370KM (222 Mi) per trip. Not all of them could have been that far... could they?

Other than those few minor points, I'm very sorry to hear how difficult it is to play over there and give you tons of credit to how far you would go to keep up with the hobby.

Adam Garcia
02/12/2006, 05:13 PM
i cant even find a place to buy JPN boxes

RainbowRichards
02/12/2006, 05:41 PM
Furthermore, Judge support is to the TO's discretion.. its not mandatory nor provided by POP.

Spoken by one who knows not (POP provides judge comp for all premier events)...

Benlugia
02/12/2006, 06:34 PM
i cant even find a place to buy JPN boxes
www.wakaba.net

butterfly719
02/12/2006, 06:43 PM
Spoken by one who knows not (POP provides judge comp for all premier events)...

Err..you sure about that? As far as I know, POP doesn't provide the support. That comes out of our TOs pocket..unless judge comp is something different than a full booster box?

Prime
02/12/2006, 07:19 PM
I think the ONLY thing keeping myself from not buying another american booster/box is that I want to play english cards. If I didn't care, I'd be all over the japanese boxes like ugly on Roseanne. You are guaranteed 20 holo rares in your box, 8 more than an average box of american cards. You usually get 1 more EX than a regular box of the american set, and like you have super cool special energy, cool silver borders, and the back is much cooler. The japanese boxes are a MUCH (x100) better deal than the american boxes, and I feel that needs to change atleast a little, or PUI will lose some money.

RainbowRichards
02/12/2006, 07:28 PM
www.wakaba.net

That's the one with $15 shipping - there's also collectorscache and ideal808.

@cheryl - I wouldn't post an opinion on this issue...

Rainbowgym
02/12/2006, 11:06 PM
RainbowGym: Even though some of us do not ship overseas, there is still a good amount of people who do and I'm sure that with those 71 packs, there must have been enough get what you need.

I don't know where your calculations came from, but if you did the same here as you did in your CC, it would only amount to 132 packs... not 300. Furthermore, Judge support is to the TO's discretion.. its not mandatory nor provided by POP. Prize support has turned crap as well. The winner of a Pre only get a winner's pin (Whoop-de-doo) while everyone gets 2 packs and a deckbox.

And how far did you travel to get to these CCs? After the math, that amounts to about 370KM (222 Mi) per trip. Not all of them could have been that far... could they?

Other than those few minor points, I'm very sorry to hear how difficult it is to play over there and give you tons of credit to how far you would go to keep up with the hobby.

For the record.
11 times a first place - 198 boosters
8 times a second place - 80 boosters
4 times a third place = 16 boosters

Sorry it's 294 boosters i.s.o 300.
And most of them were around 220 KM away (single trip)

ColdFire64
02/12/2006, 11:20 PM
In my box I pulled an Arcanine Ex, Flygon Ex, and Regice *. The current gossip suggests that there will be no Ex's released in the Holon Phantom set, so we don't have to worry about the ratio in that set at all except for the possibility of *'s (looks like only Gyarados * for now). However, according to Pokebeach, there are supposed to be some really cool Ex's being released in the Miracle Crystal set (8 ex's and 2*'s - Including Celebi *), so hopefully I will continue to get the boxes with the good ratio of 3ex/2ex, 1* in each box, but I'll gladly take any extra Ex's that are thrown in future boxes!

Phazon Elite
02/12/2006, 11:49 PM
I got back from the pre-release around five hours ago, so I reckon I'll share my pulls.

14 Packs (Normal eight plus six more for getting third)

Pulled an Arcanine ex out of the first six packs and a Dustox ex out of the very last pack. After much trading, I now have three Dustox exes (and three shiny Dunsparce). Not bad for only $20.

With that said, I have not purchased a sealed box since FR/LG. I consider said boxes to be a waste of money. Perhaps people like me are the reason why the pre-relaese prizes have become lessened (I literally never buy any boosters outside of those I obtain via the pre-releases).

ColdFire64
02/13/2006, 12:25 AM
I consider said boxes to be a waste of money.How are they a waste of money? I personally think that a guaranteed reverse holo and rare in every pack is a good deal. Since I'm a collector, I pay significantly more than the average player just to complete a set, including reverse holos, ex's and *'s. On top of that, I need cards for my decks, some of which use Ex's. If I don't have the trade fodder for an ex, then I'm stuck buying the cards I need individually. It's a cycle that I've grown to live with, and trying to complete a set is fun with the current rarity we have in the booster packs (still disagree with the DS rarity when it comes to # of ex per box).

Yes we play for fun, but for a lot people OUTSIDE the USA, it's very very expensive to play this game.
We don't get the prizesupport as you have.
WE have NO judgesupport, NO or almost NO prizes at Premier Events.
And we have if we are lucky 1 change to get to Worlds.
Scholarships????? At Nationals only and a fraction of what USA players can earn.
Travelallowances to Nationals never heared of.

And last we have to pay around $4,50 a booster, really a childfriendly prize. How do you think we get our decks? Because I pay heavy for those cards. Not only Exes.
It's a richmans game period.Although I feel your frustration and am glad you still spend the money needed to collect and still choose to keep this hobby, I disagree with your statement that this is a rich man's game. You don't need to be rich to PLAY the game, but when it comes down to collecting or let alone finding the right cards for a deck, money is a huge factor. Perhaps in Europe, many things are overpriced, but I don't know if that's true. All I know is that the Euro makes the USA Dollar look like a joke, so if I were only able to purchase cards from Europe, I wouldn't be able to afford collecting, and possibly even the hobby yourself.

Now you have a slight advantage in getting the upper hand. There are quite a few people that sell booster boxes on Ebay for $70 per box (or a case of 6 boxes for $400 which comes out to $66 a box..) that DO ship worldwide. Have you thought of trying to purchase from these people rather than try your luck with trading over the PokeGym?? It should be cheaper for you to purchase booster boxes on Ebay from a USA seller, unless I am getting the currency conversion rate confused.

At any rate, I'll probably just stick to getting my future packs from my local flea market for $1 per pack since money is starting to get tight on my end... :frown:

TacC
02/13/2006, 01:47 AM
^ I agree. I dunnno if its financially possible for you guys to do but buy a case on eBay and go the USA route.

Oh its true, <3 my japan box <33I'm spewing hate at you until at least June. That was so ridiculous.

I got 2 boxes of EF and pulled 2 Altaria ex :mad: , Walrein ex, Armaldo ex, Dustox ex & Mew ex. The Altaria really dampened my mood but I don't plan on buying any more English boxes. And JPN gets 1/2 decks with 1 ex no gambling required.

Rainbowgym
02/13/2006, 02:41 AM
ColdFire - Don't get me wrong, I'm not frustrated, I do have the money to collect and play,
If I only cared about myself I wouldn't say a word, but I do care about a certain game which is almost dead overhere. I do care if something is called a kids game and seen as a product for 12 years and under, costs so much.
I do raise my voice if I see contradictions and unfair treatment.

I know very well how to buy boosterboxes for less than here.
Ebay 420 a case shipping 50 a case. Taxes 19% +2-3% over that total. (a case will be 570 dollar)
Still cheaper than buying here, but also still a lot of money to spend.
But how many people do this?? The avarage player who is supposed to be 8-12 years old?

We didn't have a single FREE tournament since PUI took over.
We have much less prizes than the USA-CA-MX-UK) players get.
And you are called greedy if you ask for a bit judge support, so NO judges neither the TO's are getting anything, well if you are lucky you can have a promocard for yourself.

The differences are huge and the way to obtain more exclusive cards difficult and expensive.
It's not a complain it's a fact.
But like somebody said in another topic, a fact is only a fact if somebody is willing to accept it as a fact.

Gatsu
02/13/2006, 05:54 AM
i opened 3 boxes of JPN Eidolon forrest: 9 EXs and 2 stars!

1 arcanine
2 mew
1 flygon
1 armaldo
1 walrein
2 altaria (OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!)
1 dustox

2 regirock Star

RainbowRichards
02/13/2006, 05:56 AM
The current gossip suggests that there will be no Ex's released in the Holon Phantom set, so we don't have to worry about the ratio in that set at all except for the possibility of *'s (looks like only Gyarados * for now).

fyi, the current facts are that JPN Holon Phantom has no ex holos in the set.

Speculation (which I firmly subscribe to) has it that the English release will have ex holos that were not part of the JPN HP set (Mew Gift Set is a prime candidate)...

Gatsu
02/13/2006, 06:18 AM
i just opnened 2 boxes oh HP:

no exs but a star (Gyarados) per box....

RainbowRichards
02/13/2006, 06:25 AM
i just opnened 2 boxes oh HP:

no exs but a star (Gyarados) per box....

Then you got really lucky!!!

I opened 4 boxes JPN HP, and finally pulled Gyarados-d* from the last box!

Gatsu
02/13/2006, 06:30 AM
really??? :O

i just traded that for 2 exs here on the gym...

i think that was not a good deal then ;____;

oh well... i'll not get back for sure from an greement!

sneaselsrevenge
02/13/2006, 07:50 AM

True, but I challenge you to go to any tournament where the 15+ division doesn't have way more players than the 10-, and even more than the 11-14.

And Prime, you're example is completely backwards. If we all got that many EX's in a box, everybody would be able to complete their sets or get those hard deck EX's way to easily. If you had the whole set, and a players set of all the EX's, would you keep buying the set? I doubt it. That would keep PUI's sales down and keep the cards dirt cheap on the trade market(that includes the ones you're trading)

Prime
02/13/2006, 08:54 AM
Oh come on, so if PUI adds 1 more EX to each box, the whole world comes to an end? People automaticly can complete sets with a snap of a finger, and the value of all EX's become $.50. That isn't going to happen, and even if you threw 2 extra EX's into a box, that wouldn't happen. RIght now, the average pull from a LM box is 2 EX's. Throw in that there is 7-8 EX's in the set, statisticly you would have to buy 4 boxes to get the whole set. But, then you don't add in getting a double of an EX, which probably means you have to buy more.

Who buys boxes anymore? I just bought a box recently, but it's been my first box since SANDSTORM. Why? Because singles are much easier and cheaper to get. I see a lot of the players either buying singles online, or buying japanese boxes. We all agree that it's not worth it to buy a box. Like one person pointed out, in japan, their theme decks come with EX's. Guaranteed EX. I'd love to be able to go out right now and buy 3 Blastoise EX theme decks and make BSL, but oh wait, our theme decks get only a holo in it. Wow.

I don't see one good reason, other than wanting english cards, to buy another american box of pokemon or pack again. It is a gamble like someone put it, which favors buying singles heavily. The japanese get a lot more out of their boxes, which surprisingly have less packs, and you can get guaranteed exs out of japanese half decks. Need Blastoise EX/Charizard EX/Venusaur EX, Banette EX, Meganium EX, Feraligatr EX, Typhlosion EX, Medicham EX, Camerupt EX, Dusclops EX, Cacturne EX, Milotic EX, Raichu EX? Go buy a half deck and get extra cards with it to boot. Or you can buy a single of it online. But don't buy a box. Your rolling a die of even getting the EX you want, and it's not worth wasting the money on more boxes just to draw into it.

Otaku
02/13/2006, 09:36 AM
WE are buying pieces of cardboard. They have a game on them, and some are holo-foil, but they are still cardboard.

I am a player collector. I have abandoned the idea of collecting Parallel Holo cards, because I simply know I can't. To me, if it costs $100 to collect something, plus the effort of trading on top of that, its not easy to get.
That is what it would hopefully be like if we had a better rarity scheme. That isn't what we have now. Simply put, too many rarities are unhealthy for a game. YGO lived because of a huge fad phase for it, akin to Pokemon's... and like Pokemon, it had a rediculous amount of reprints to go with it: starter decks, structure decks, tins, promos, etc. ensure that the rarest cards tend to come out as commons in 6-18 months. Note I am not saying that is a healthy idea for the game, but it is better than just releasing "Stupid Rares".

Pokemon started with Commons, Uncommons, Rares, and Holo-Rares. Holo-Rares make Timmys drool, so I accept they aren't going away. I personally wish they would, Parallel Holos are just fine.

I don't have much time, so let me say this in nice bold letters so people see it:

People have slowed or even stopped buying boxes because cards are too rare. If I still won't have what I need, or what I need to "reasonably" trade for what I really need after buying a box, why buy a box to begin with. Pre-Releases have helped keep the game going, but if they'd get off this Stupid Rare kick and get us back down to a reasonable rarity scheme, the game would be a lot healthier.

We already know, or at least were told in the WotC days, that most sales come from random little kids. So in reality, the sales gained/loss from this may not matter as much. I just know that right now, its worse than YGO. We have Uncommons, an incredibly important thing (keeps the amount of Commons reasonable, provides a trading bridge between commons and rares, etc.), and that should stay. Normal Rares are fine. I will accept Holo Rares, or "Super Rare Cards". Ultra Rares, that'd be what Pokemon-ex are, are quire stupid, unless the card is one that is restricted in use, e.g. can't have a full four copies in a deck. Remember, just like designers fail to make all "good" cards good, they can fail to make intentionaly "bad" cards bad. We then have a Rarity in Pokemon that is beyond Ultra Rare level, the Pokemon*. That is just wrong. Box Toppers are fine, as they are a decent reward for buying a full box, and even if it is a good card, so long as it isn't universally needed, it is easy to sell off. Personally, I'd just say make one Pokemon* a set, and make that the box topper. I'd also downgrade Pokemon-ex to the one-in-three pack rarity, and do away with classic holo rares. Rarity really should be about introducing complex cards into the game, not about making it so hard to collect. Collecting all the cards should be challenging enough for most younger players. If you're an adult, it isn't supposed to be that hard.

Flaming_Spinach
02/13/2006, 11:51 AM
I completely agree with everything Prime just said.

I just went to my LM pre, and out of 30 packs I pulled ONE Ex. If it wasn't for BDS's amazing prize support, I would have pulled ZERO.

I've been looking at the next set to come out, and I don't think I'm going to any pres for this set. DS was such a dissapointment, if they give us another set with only 1 EX per box, I will not go.

I'm not the only one who's angry about this. I talked to many of the parents at the pre Saturday, and most of them were very unhappy that their kids had not pulled any EXs from their first six packs. Those that HAD pulled EXs were happy, but they were few and far between.

People have slowed or even stopped buying boxes because cards are too rare. If I still won't have what I need, or what I need to "reasonably" trade for what I really need after buying a box, why buy a box to begin with. Pre-Releases have helped keep the game going, but if they'd get off this Stupid Rare kick and get us back down to a reasonable rarity scheme, the game would be a lot healthier.

I bow to your wisdom.

One last thing...Have you looked at the price of good EXs on ebay recently? Arcanine-ex are going for $35-$45 right now. So how are you going to complete your play-set? Are you going to buy them? That'll cost ~$160. Will you buy boxes? You'll have to buy 14 boxes for a reasonable chance of drawing 4 Arcanines. These cards make it impossible for little kids to buy and play their favorite cards. If this game is tuely "For The Kids," shouldn't we do something about this?

Rainbowgym
02/13/2006, 02:26 PM
True, but I challenge you to go to any tournament where the 15+ division doesn't have way more players than the 10-, and even more than the 11-14.

Our Nationals last year had most players in 11-14 (68) , than 10- and 15+ about the same amount. 48/51

ALL MY tournaments. our largest division is 10+ already for years and years.
Now we are heading to 11-14 division as largest because they get older and we managed to keep them into the game.
And I'm talking about 50+ tournaments, numbers a lot of official TO's can't beat.
Last sunday we had a smaller tournament , 10- and 11-14 had more players than 15+.

I know very well what I'm talking about, regarding my country.
I teached this game to many kids and heared their parents complaining..
Saw kids leaving because of the prizetag and under pressure of their parents because of the money involved.

I;m also thinking about buying Japanese boxes, but there is always a change PUI will forbid those for POP tournaments.
Think about it, Japanese boxes will not generate them any money.

Benlugia
02/13/2006, 02:32 PM
okay, but, here, the majority of players is 15+, regardless of the fact that its a kids game.
i really don't see what any of this has to do with the amount of ex's and pokemon*'s per box. it doesn't matter if its a kids game--its something that has collection value and it is recreational. grown men can collect dolls and whatever, because it could have collection value.

Rainbowgym
02/13/2006, 02:41 PM
It has all to do with the rarity of cards.

Most 15+ have more money to spend or ways to go to tournaments, and win boosters.
Therefor more changes to get * and EX pokemon.

Everything is connected with each other. Less EX to obtain, more difference between the "rich" and "poor" players.
Less tournaments, Less cards in roulation. Less ways to obtain the better cards.

It has more impact in several directions. Including attendance of tournaments.

Freddy K.
02/13/2006, 03:06 PM
Some responses having gotten back to three pages of replies in a day ^_^

I think we can all agree that Japanese half decks and boxes are the way to go for players as opposed to collectors/casual purchasers. They seem to get a better deal with auto-exs and 20 Holo rares per box as opposed to 12. I'd rather sacrifice a few Trapinch and Shuppet for an extra LM Gengar. I also think that the Japanese cards from the perspective of a US/European cultural background look so much cooler and aesthetically pleasing. The point was raised earlier in the thread and although it wasn't to do with the original notion which focussed on the rarity of an ex, it does raise a point also with regards to card quality, finish, choice of colours etc. whether 'we' in US/European regions get a good deal card for card. I wonder how cards would look if they were in English but printed the Japanese way. I certainly didn't realise how out of phase the card backs were until someone mentioned it.

Although we all hate 'collector sharks' I think Drew's opinions are valid and I would like him to continue posting on this thread as his opinions hold true for the majority of collectors without which we would not be able to make purchases from ebay etc. of the cards that we cannot find from pulling packs alone.

I agree with Otaku in the sense that it's really getting to a point whereby I'm feeling guilty selling packs at a prerelease to young children knowing that the chances of getting ex's are getting smaller and smaller. My own numbers for prereleases are down and I primarily put this down to Delta Species not being a good set for those just entering the game (as opposed to Deoxys or Unseen Forces). What I mean is Delta Species yielded the eeveelution ex's but with 2 or 1 a box it's hard to build a deck around just one ex as we know, even harder to trade with others who may by chance have found one at the same prerelease as you and aren't keen to let go of it. A good eeveelutions deck off the top of my head probably needs 4 of the exs. That's hard to accomplish and it dissatisfies.

Prime has a point, the world won't stop spinning if they add a third ex in a box. Will it?

~fK

Freddy K.
02/13/2006, 03:15 PM
It has all to do with the rarity of cards.

Most 15+ have more money to spend or ways to go to tournaments, and win boosters.
Therefor more changes to get * and EX pokemon.

Everything is connected with each other. Less EX to obtain, more difference between the "rich" and "poor" players.
Less tournaments, Less cards in roulation. Less ways to obtain the better cards.

It has more impact in several directions. Including attendance of tournaments.

Rainbowgym has some very valid points. Although I'm not focusing on the 'rich player vs poor player' line of thinking, Pok&#233;mon isn't encouraging those without ex's to think 'outside the box' for deck construction. I think it's just turning them off the idea of buying packs. And yes it does have an overall effect on attendance at tournaments.

I guess that the casual purchase market is so big in comparison to the collectors market which in turn is x times bigger than the player market. Perhaps the question should be refined as NoPoke prompted, to 'are PLAYERS cheated...' etc.

It is amusing to think that there was some huge business meeting somewhere that decided how many ex's we got per box. :redface:

~fK

Rainbowgym
02/13/2006, 03:15 PM
Neither would if they put 5 EX in a box. That makes the Holo's more rare and up in prices, while the EX become easier to obtain and cheaper.

My expression about the rich/poor player is just to explain.
Don't know how to do it else.

Try to keep a kid into this game, when he/she is facing time after time a player with the "strongest" cards, loosing because of that.

Trading is part of the fun, but what if you have so less changes to trade for an EX, and have to give so much if you want one.
I have seen Exes traded for 5-6 holo's. How many boosters do you need to buy to get those holo's. Too Much.

Even from a collectors point, the rarity of the EX and * Pokemon is out of line.

meganium45
02/13/2006, 03:29 PM
The fun was to recall back in the early days of Ruby Sapphire when there were 6 EXs to a box.

Would be cool if the PreRelease boxes were "heavy" boxes like the old Ruby/Sapphire ones.

just restrict their use to PreReleases, and it would be a great way to introduce a set at the event.

I don't thnk it would lower pack sales, in that everyone would get 1-2 EXs, and still need a LOT to complete their playsets and collections.

Just an idea.

Just an idea.

Vince

Absolution
02/13/2006, 03:39 PM
Perhaps this is irrelevant, but over the weekend my girlfriend participated in 4 LM drafts, 2 of which (the side events) rewarded packs for prizes (she ended up with 5 extra total)...

So she opened:

6 for one Pre
2 for prizes after Pre
6 for one side event
4 for prizes (first in age division)
6 for one Pre
2 for prizes after Pre
6 for one side event
1 for prizes
AND she bought 8 packs at a local Wal-Mart...

Total: 39 packs...over a box of cards (and she spent more than she would have had she bought a box on ebay..)

In those 39 packs, she pulled ZERO EXes...

(side note: out of 24 [unseperated] blister packs, which normally makes for 2-3 EXes, we pulled just one.)

Perhaps it was just horrible luck for her, but when her weekend seemingly becomes ruined for her over pulling an EX...I just get frustrated and angry at the entire situation. We had 3 EXes per box with 7 EXes in Magma/Aqua, we had 3 EXes per box with 9 EXes in Hidden Legends...quite frankly it makes no sense whatsoever to lower the count to 2. I can understand 1 with Delta Species...but 2 is absurd for LM.

Are 3 EXes per box that much to ask for a set like this??

-Absolution

Flaming_Spinach
02/13/2006, 03:40 PM
The fun was to recall back in the early days of Ruby Sapphire when there were 6 EXs to a box.

Would be cool if the PreRelease boxes were "heavy" boxes like the old Ruby/Sapphire ones.

just restrict their use to PreReleases, and it would be a great way to introduce a set at the event.

I don't thnk it would lower pack sales, in that everyone would get 1-2 EXs, and still need a LOT to complete their playsets and collections.

Just an idea.

Just an idea.

Vince

OMG!

That's the best idea I've heard all week.

I now support this idea 100%.

Rainbowgym
02/13/2006, 03:48 PM
First or Second print Ruby/Sapphire:biggrin:

RainbowRichards
02/13/2006, 04:58 PM
First, of course :tongue:...

TheDarkTwins
02/13/2006, 05:18 PM
I want to actually add more to what i said...

First off Most Sets that have an EVEN number of Ex's Per Holos Didnt Sell Out when either they were at the Disributor or at Stores... But also the Holos (Non-Ex) Were still worth absolutely Nothing...

But I also want to point out that when they "Reduced" the number of ex's in a box, those set complete sold out... In Most Cases....

So I dont know about you but the fact that the Sets that Had Lots Sold Horrid and the Ones that had Few Sold Out should tell you that Sets with Less Ex's Sell Better even tho there are less Ex's... I dont know about any of you... But If I Could Put Less of Certian Cards (Which Most Likely Cost More To Print Than Normal Holos) I would do the exact same thing... Not Saying it was the right thing to do, but it was the choice that made me/ or my company the most money... I think that maybe the reason for them doing it that way...
JMO...
Drew

DarkTyranitar
02/13/2006, 05:30 PM
There is a kid I know who only pulled one EX in his complete box of boosters.

What's actually buggin' me more is the rarity of the holographic-rares found in this set, (from 1 to around 16 or so.)

From roughly 50 booster packs I ended up receiving over the weekend, there were 3 or 4 missing holographic-rares from this set. What made matters more annoying for me is that these were some pretty good, playable cards.

Maybe I'm seeing a conspiracy here, but it just seems to me that PUI is attempting to increase their sales by making those cards most desirable in each successive set more and more difficult to get, (and hence forcing more and more boosters to be purchased.)

- Tony

ColdFire64
02/13/2006, 05:36 PM
We didn't have a single FREE tournament since PUI took over.
We have much less prizes than the USA-CA-MX-UK) players get.Apparently things are operated much differently in Europe, because the only tournament that anyone has to pay an entry fee for here in the USA is a pre release, which is $20 per person. Everything else, including small sanctioned tournaments, cities, states, regionals, nationals, gym challenge, and worlds have free admission here in the USA. To me, it sounds like something needs to be done in Europe to "universalize" our rules and the way we do things and allow Europe to do the same thing. Afterall, something like this needs to be done, if the game is "dying" over there as you stated...

Still cheaper than buying here, but also still a lot of money to spend.
But how many people do this?? The avarage player who is supposed to be 8-12 years old?Actually, it's the parents of these kids purchasing packs for them that makes them the main concern for PUI. A kid would be in a major retail store and notice these cards and say, "Mom, I want these" and the majority of these parents purchase at least one booster pack for their kids this way. According to PUI, this is the critical area where sales are the highest, making the 10 and under age group PUI's highest priority. I wish I could say that older collectors such as myself spend much more money than these parents on multiple booster boxes just to complete the sets, but apparently the sales in major retail chains for individual booster packs are still significantly higher. Either way, it's still the majority of Adults in general who are spending the money, regardless who the cards are giving to or used for...

Again, you don't have to be rich to PLAY this game, but when it comes down to getting what you need to make a great deck, you either have to have some really good trade fodder and/or a lot of money to purchase the number of packs needed to obtain these cards (or at least build some trade fodder to get what you need). Again, it's all about the parents purchasing at least one booster pack at a time for their 10 and under kids, not about kids aged 8-12 having a lot of money. When I was 10 years old, I started mowing grass and shoveling snow off driveways in my neighborhood to earn extra money for video games. There are still some kids out there today that would do this kind of work to make extra money, and if they wanted to use it for purchasing booster packs/boxes, then that is their choice and it's great for PUI because money is being made.

ryanvergel
02/13/2006, 05:55 PM
Perhaps this is irrelevant, but over the weekend my girlfriend participated in 4 LM drafts, 2 of which (the side events) rewarded packs for prizes (she ended up with 5 extra total)...

So she opened:

6 for one Pre
2 for prizes after Pre
6 for one side event
4 for prizes (first in age division)
6 for one Pre
2 for prizes after Pre
6 for one side event
1 for prizes
AND she bought 8 packs at a local Wal-Mart...

Total: 39 packs...over a box of cards (and she spent more than she would have had she bought a box on ebay..)

In those 39 packs, she pulled ZERO EXes...

(side note: out of 24 [unseperated] blister packs, which normally makes for 2-3 EXes, we pulled just one.)

Perhaps it was just horrible luck for her, but when her weekend seemingly becomes ruined for her over pulling an EX...I just get frustrated and angry at the entire situation. We had 3 EXes per box with 7 EXes in Magma/Aqua, we had 3 EXes per box with 9 EXes in Hidden Legends...quite frankly it makes no sense whatsoever to lower the count to 2. I can understand 1 with Delta Species...but 2 is absurd for LM.

Are 3 EXes per box that much to ask for a set like this??

-Absolution

I got 38 packs of UF and got one ex. Am I complaining? No. Why? Because it's luck. If you don't get a sealed box, you're not guaranteed the amount of exs in a box.

And from what I've read, the standard pull of a box of LM is 2 exs. Is 2 exs that bad in a set with like... 8 exs? Some get 1 ex, some get 3. Some get 3 and a *, some get 1 and a *. But average... it's about 2 exs.

Prime
02/13/2006, 06:09 PM
It's pretty bad IMHO. Unless you pull a Mew EX or an Arcanine EX, wait, unless you pull the fan-favorite EX, the 2 EX's you pull on average won't be worth anywhere near what you payed for the box.

ryanvergel
02/13/2006, 06:24 PM
Armaldo ex rocks
Flygon isn't bad
Banette seems to be loved
Dustox can be played
Arcanine can be played
Mew can be played

What's the problem?
Would you rather have a set of crap exs? Should we bring back TRR? Should we have DS exs?

Phazon Elite
02/13/2006, 06:43 PM
How are they a waste of money?:
Look at the beef Japan gets in their boxes, then look at what we get. I made my decision to not purchase any more sealed boxes just to spite PUI (a rather small uprising, but an uprising nonetheless). They are not geting my $85 for such a rotten deal.

Absolution
02/13/2006, 06:52 PM
I got 38 packs of UF and got one ex. Am I complaining? No. Why? Because it's luck. If you don't get a sealed box, you're not guaranteed the amount of exs in a box.

And from what I've read, the standard pull of a box of LM is 2 exs. Is 2 exs that bad in a set with like... 8 exs? Some get 1 ex, some get 3. Some get 3 and a *, some get 1 and a *. But average... it's about 2 exs.

And that's why I opened my post with..."Perhaps this is irrelevant..."

-___-'

Still - the fact that the EX and Shining ratio per box is so messed up right now is enough to complain IMO...I really think it should be at least consistent...then you know what to expect...And I think for a set like this, with 8 EXes AND 3 Shinings (I forgot to take that into consideration during my last post; TMTA/HL did NOT have Shinings) 3 EXes/ 2 EXes/1 Shining is the most appropriate ratio per box.

-Absolution

ColdFire64
02/13/2006, 07:30 PM
Look at the beef Japan gets in their boxes, then look at what we get. I made my decision to not purchase any more sealed boxes just to spite PUI (a rather small uprising, but an uprising nonetheless). They are not geting my $85 for such a rotten deal.Perhaps I'm clueless as to how much "BEEF" these Japanese boxes have compared to ours. Could you please compare a Japanese box vs. a USA box for me? Include the number of rares, holo rares, reverse holos, trainers, etc. if you could.

Plus $85 is a bit higher than what you can get the boxes for on Ebay, but I don't think PUI will do anything if only a couple people are "spiting" their boxes. I laugh at the majority of the small card/comic shops that sell these boxes for $100-$130, when other shops and Ebay sell them for significantly less. Have you ever tried emailing PUI and sharing your concerns with them about this issue you are talking about?

Benlugia
02/13/2006, 07:59 PM
Perhaps I'm clueless as to how much "BEEF" these Japanese boxes have compared to ours. Could you please compare a Japanese box vs. a USA box for me? Include the number of rares, holo rares, reverse holos, trainers, etc. if you could.

japan doesn't have reverse holos. go to worlds--they go CRAZY over american reverse holos. ask anyone.
japanese boxes have 11 cards in a pack with one of the cards ALWAYS being an energy (one of the basic energies, or dark or metal--so, it is possible to get both a dark energy and a react energy in the same pack)--the energies are not actual numbered parts of the set, and do not contain the set icon. they are there because...they are there.
each pack comes with 1 energy (as mentioned above), 5 commons, 3 uncommons, 1 rare, and, one of the following:
holo/ex/pokemon*
20 packs a box. so, do the math on what you get. however, an important thing to take into account for this set is that some of the rarities were changed, and some cards from the half-deck from this set were thrown in. japan's set has 86 cards i believe, while the american set has 92 (93 counting the boxtopper).

Rainbowgym
02/13/2006, 11:05 PM
I want to actually add more to what i said...

First off Most Sets that have an EVEN number of Ex's Per Holos Didnt Sell Out when either they were at the Disributor or at Stores... But also the Holos (Non-Ex) Were still worth absolutely Nothing...

But I also want to point out that when they "Reduced" the number of ex's in a box, those set complete sold out... In Most Cases....

So I dont know about you but the fact that the Sets that Had Lots Sold Horrid and the Ones that had Few Sold Out should tell you that Sets with Less Ex's Sell Better even tho there are less Ex's... I dont know about any of you... But If I Could Put Less of Certian Cards (Which Most Likely Cost More To Print Than Normal Holos) I would do the exact same thing... Not Saying it was the right thing to do, but it was the choice that made me/ or my company the most money... I think that maybe the reason for them doing it that way...
JMO...
Drew

If that is a fact, there is also another conclusion regarding who is the most buying group.
Because those "once in a while buying parents" are not buying more because of the lack of EX cards.
But the players have to buy more to obtain their deckcards and collectors to complete their sets.

ToysRUsKid
02/13/2006, 11:28 PM
Comparing the JPN and ENG cards:

Packs per Box: 20(JPN) 36(ENG)
Cards per pack: 10(JPN) 9(ENG)
Total no. of cards per box: 200(JPN) 324(ENG)

Statistic of a box of booster
No.of Rare Holo 20(JPN) 12(ENG) excluding those from reverse holo (Rare holo inc. ex)
No.of Rare 20(JPN) 24(ENG) excluding those from reverse holo
No,of uncommon 60(JPN) 72(ENG) excluding those from reverse holo
No.of common 100(JPN) 180(ENG) excluding those from reverse holo
No.of ex 2~5(JPN) 2~4(ENG)

In some set like JPN version of Team Magma and Team Aqua, EACH pack will have an extra holo energy! But in Ex-EM, you can pull about 12 each box ONLY.

For those uncommons, as you know, in JPN version, most of the basic trainers like Potion, Pokemon Reversal and Master ball are only available in Theme decks. But in case of Eng ver, it combine with the main set. So there are more impurities in the Eng uncommons you pulled out, althrough you have 12 more uncommons than JPN box, In fact, more theme related trainers can be pulled out in JPN box.

Price of a box(in HK): $70 (JPN) $90(ENG)

-- From Vincent in some other post i can't find :D

JPN Boxes > US boxes.

Phazon Elite
02/13/2006, 11:43 PM
Perhaps I'm clueless as to how much "BEEF" these Japanese boxes have compared to ours. Could you please compare a Japanese box vs. a USA box for me? Include the number of rares, holo rares, reverse holos, trainers, etc. if you could.
I was refering to earlier posts in this topic. With the information I am aware of concerning the Japanese Boxes and the American boxes, the Japanese boxes do indeed have more beef than we do (we get the bones). In Japan, you are unlucky if you get only two exes in a box. Here in America, you are lucky to get two exes in a box, as that means you were not cheated out of yet another ex.

Plus $85 is a bit higher than what you can get the boxes for on Ebay, but I don't think PUI will do anything if only a couple people are "spiting" their boxes.
Which is exactly why I said that my little protest is very tiny. I have not even purchased a single American pack without a pre-release being involved since long ago (at least six months). I do not have to thanks to BDS' awesome prize support.

Have you ever tried emailing PUI and sharing your concerns with them about this issue you are talking about?
I have thought about it, but I always thought PUI paid attention to these forums. Am I wrong? If so, I'll most likely go ahead and drop them a line.

Flaming_Spinach
02/14/2006, 12:02 AM
Phazon Elite - I assume you are one of the people that buys mostly singles? It is the cheapest way to build a deck, IMO. Instead of buying a box, trading off the "valuable" cards, and being left with about 300 cards no one wants, I find it cheaper and more card efficient to buy the exact singles you want.

PS. Were you at the Portland pre this last weekend?

Gatsu
02/14/2006, 03:45 AM
i like foil card very much so now i'm trading many of my JPN EF for FOIL LM!

i already have 3 Foil react energy LOL! One more to the first set of 4!

Adam Garcia
02/14/2006, 04:58 AM
isnt it like in JPN boxes every second pack is a ex/*?

RainbowRichards
02/14/2006, 05:12 AM
isnt it like in JPN boxes every second pack is a ex/*?

Are you serious? Did you even bother to read TRuK's post?

It varies by set, but on the whole, * cards are found 1 per 4 or 5 boxes (so, 4 or 5 distributed in a 20-box case).

Also varying by set, between 2 and 5 ex holos are found per 20-pack box of JPN boosters. Holon Phantom, for example, has no ex holos in the set at all, and the JPN Delta Species had no ex holos in the main set (so no exes in the booster boxes at all - just *s).

vincent0906
02/14/2006, 06:41 AM
The average income of a Hongkonger nearly the highest in the whole Asia,
but we still facing money problems whn buying boosters,
we CANNOT afford to buy so many booster for mostly junk commons.

We want to play the game using any card we wannt,
Japanese booster meet our needs, with an comparatively lower price.

The only reason PUI make low valued booster is that, they want to make money.

But don't you guys noticed a trend of increasing number of players playing Japanese card in US/EU area?
This problem will get worse thanks to internet. Buying cards from the internet is cheap, fast and easy.
If more Japanese card available to the market, due to the relationship between demand and supply, the Japanese booster price in the internet will starts dropping, and you will get even cheaper cards as we did IF more and more players changing its loyalty to English Version cards.

Also, the price of each booster in Japanese is 300yen, which is very cheap w.r.t Japanese spending index. Even a can of coca-cola there need you 200yen. So you can imagine it is a cheap game.
All family can afford to play it, with enough strong cards, exs, etc.

RainbowRichards
02/14/2006, 07:00 AM
Also, the price of each booster in Japanese is 300yen, which is very cheap w.r.t Japanese spending index. Even a can of coca-cola there need you 200yen.

I would pay 300 yen for the booster (2.55687 USD), but I would not be eager to pay 200 yen for the coke ($1.70) :eek:!

sneaselsrevenge
02/14/2006, 10:55 AM
Our Nationals last year had most players in 11-14 (68) , than 10- and 15+ about the same amount. 48/51

ALL MY tournaments. our largest division is 10+ already for years and years.
Now we are heading to 11-14 division as largest because they get older and we managed to keep them into the game.
And I'm talking about 50+ tournaments, numbers a lot of official TO's can't beat.
Last sunday we had a smaller tournament , 10- and 11-14 had more players than 15+.

I know very well what I'm talking about, regarding my country.
I teached this game to many kids and heared their parents complaining..
Saw kids leaving because of the prizetag and under pressure of their parents because of the money involved.

I;m also thinking about buying Japanese boxes, but there is always a change PUI will forbid those for POP tournaments.
Think about it, Japanese boxes will not generate them any money.

In that case, I beg your forgiveness Lia. Here in the states, it's the exact opposite in most places.

And that brings me back to you Prime. Although you make some good points, where does it stop? Even in the R/S days, not everybody got an EX in they're Pres. Also less EX's per box is neccesary for the cut in the number of EX's in the last 2 sets. You're chance of getting a certain percentage of EX's is almost exactly the same.If all you care about is getting the EX's, there are plenty of people in the trade forums selling packs reasonably cheap. Adding one more per box won't be the end of the world, but neither will leaving it as is.

Rainbowgym
02/14/2006, 11:12 AM
Well we do have unique situation in my country....... at least in the past, the 10- was almost the biggest group. Now it's changing due several reasons and It doesn't make me happy.

In most countries 15+ is the biggest group, so from your point of view you were correct.

DarkTyranitar
02/14/2006, 11:02 PM
...but we still facing money problems whn buying boosters,
we CANNOT afford to buy so many booster for mostly junk commons.

We want to play the game using any card we wannt,
Japanese booster meet our needs, with an comparatively lower price.

The only reason PUI make low valued booster is that, they want to make money....

...That's EXACTLY my thoughts on this...

...Which is exactly why I said that my little protest is very tiny. I have not even purchased a single American pack without a pre-release being involved since long ago (at least six months). I do not have to thanks to BDS' awesome prize support.

...I've also been starting to go through a similar protest. I used to purchase either one or two complete boxes of boosters with each set. However, with this current LM set it will be the second or third one that I do not intend to do this. I'm just getting left with too many common cards that I can't use, along with not getting enough of the playable (and hence desirable) ones - (and, this says nothing about trying to collect those EXs and Shinings, that are becoming most elusive. I'm just describing the plain old Stage 2 rares in different evolution lines, along with some of those helpful and useful trainers.)

It is far more effective for me to purchase groups of individual cards that I may need through sources like Ebay.

- Tony