PDA

View Full Version : Help with English Grammar... Holon GL.

NoPoke
04/13/2006, 04:27 AM
If the Pokemon that Holon GL is attached to also has a basic :grass: Energy card attached to it, that Pokemon can't be affected by any Special Conditions........

Should the text be affected or effected??

For reference. Affect, a verb, is what you do. Effect, a noun, is the result.

I dont think I've got my punctuationor grammar quite right with my own reference either LOL.

Ignatious
04/13/2006, 05:28 AM
*backs away slowly*
i dunno if im a n00b or what cause I dont get wut your saying

Spotter
04/13/2006, 06:08 AM
Affected is correct. When something is doing something to you, it is affecting you. The effect is what is being done.

The effect of too much alcohol is that it affects your response time.

S.

NoPoke
04/13/2006, 12:06 PM
even though I know the difference between affect and effect I couldn't work out if a verb or a noun was required in that position or even what impact a verb or noun would have on the meaning of the sentance. Knowing the definition didn't help me hence the plea for help with my English Grammar.

Consider what Jirachi can't be affected by Poison means. Does that mean that you can place the poison marker but that you don't take poison damage? Or would this require the text to use effected instead.

Being Poisoned is different to being affected or effected by Poison?

ryanvergel
04/13/2006, 12:38 PM
Affected= past tense of affect. So, something was affected- something had an effect placed upon them.

If the Pokemon that Holon GL is attached to also has a basic Energy card attached to it, that Pokemon can't be affected by any Special Conditions........

That says that a pokemon cannot have an effect placed on them, because they cannot be affected.

If you are poisoned, you are under the effect of poison, and you are being affected by poison.

I am poisoned=I am affected by poison=I am under the effect of poison