PDA

View Full Version : Free City Championship in Severn, MD - Final Results!

RainbowRichards
02/10/2004, 07:49 PM
Now that I actually counted them, I remember I set aside 50 RH Elms - so the first 50 players to register on Saturday morning will receive one!!

Random call just now confirms another player coming down from Wesminster!

WOW - I just dug out the extras I have to give out - I forgot that I have RH Professor Elm (Best #3) as well for the first 24 to register on Saturday morning! :thumb: This is in addition to the full set of holo promo energy and one (not all 3) of the three new League promo energy cards (Darkness, Metal & Multi) that the first 24 players will receive just for entering. EVERY player will, of course, receive the special City Championship logo Charmander promo card.

Come join us at what may be the ONLY FREE Pokemon City Championship in all of North America!

Saturday, 28 February, 2004, at the Provinces Library in Severn, MD - registration and deck-checks will begin at 10:00 am, the first round will begin at 11:00!

I've put up a web page to inform all attendees of everything you'll need or want to know about this event!

Prizes arrived today from POP, and you can see scans of the 1st Place Medals and the participation promo at - http://home.comcast.net/~bdricha/pokemon/index.htm

There is also a scan of the event poster there. Lots more info will be posted over the next few days - prizes, (yes, we have lots more than the POP-provided prizes) directions, deck forms, anything and everything you'd want to know to make this a very successful event! Email me or post in the guestbook if there's anything you'd like to know or see added there!

Update (2/20): - For anyone who needs to know:

The Library is located at the intersections of MD175 (Annapolis Highway) and MD 713 (Ridge Road). It is 5 minutes from Arundel Mills Mall. The address of the Library doesn't hit in Mapquest :(.

Please LMK if you require ANY further info!!

++++++++++++++++++++

I have posted prizes (to include our own local 'extras') on the web page!

Come meet the one and only Sensei` on 28 February 2004! We are teaming up to run the City Championship tournaments in Stafford, VA (http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=3995) and Severn, MD. :D

Please post to LMK if you're coming!

Roll Call (16+ potential participants so far):

Dave R.
Michael R.
Mathew L. (won't be playing, since he won 1st place in Rockville 11-14 age group last Sunday!!! He's agreed to help as staff this Saturday - what a guy :clap: )
Nick P.
Laura K.
Emily
Billy R.
Scott P. (with son and daughter)
Jonathan A.
Bradley R.
Benjamin R.
Brian Jr. R.
Spencer
Isaac M. (and friends, possibly)
Colin H.

would hope to see (again):
Joe & Steven F.
Miilhan S.
Alex D.

BTW - if I have neglected to pass on POP IDs to anyone, please LMK before you go to your next tournament!

TheCrossFormatKid
02/10/2004, 08:47 PM
Can't wait till the 28th(still unbelievable that its free!)

ukpokemonpro
02/14/2004, 09:03 AM
Hi Brian,

did you get the medal engraved or was it provided like that?

Cool promo's too now that is one reprint I will be happy to have :)

Big Daddy Snorlax
02/14/2004, 09:11 AM
Hi Brian,

did you get the medal engraved or was it provided like that?

They come with the City name engraved on them.

BDS

yoshi1001
02/14/2004, 09:11 AM
The Medals come like that. Mine, of course, said La Crosse, WI.

Edit: I'll get you next time BDS, neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexttt tiiiiiime! ;)

RainbowRichards
02/16/2004, 08:19 AM
Updated the web page with prizes (we have lots of local 'extras').

Please post here if you're coming!

Adv1sor
02/16/2004, 10:41 AM
Michael and I are planning to be there.

Raikou
02/17/2004, 10:43 AM
interesting how its free, did you have to pay for the boxes yourself or did nintendo provide them free or what? =/

RainbowRichards
02/17/2004, 11:06 AM
interesting how its free, did you have to pay for the boxes yourself or did nintendo provide them free or what? =/

So, will we see you there??

The only guidance was that the fee must not exceed $10 for the City Championship events - mine does not! Since it's being held at our Public Library, which stipulates that no money may be charged for events held in their meeting rooms, I was not permitted to charge anything (otherwise it would have been $5 per player). That's also why our League sessions are free :D.

Adv1sor - looking forward to seeing you there!! Hopefully we'll see the following local players as well:

Mathew L.
Nick P.
Laura K.
Emily
Billy R.
Scott P. (with son and daughter)
David M. (emailed me for a decklist)

and of course my three sons will be participating :).

Raikou
02/17/2004, 11:29 AM
Heh,
unless anyone from around the Raleigh area is heading up there and has an extra seat, I won't be able to go. Maryland is quite the drive and im sure my parents arent into driving me that far considering I don't have my liscence yet, though I've driven all the way to DC before. :/

RainbowRichards
02/17/2004, 11:40 AM
Well, this is from a reply on Sensei`s CC topic:

The Barlocks from NC will be there!!! Whoohoo!!! Roadtrip north AGAIN!!!

But that's for the event on the 21st in Stafford, VA...

Sensei
02/18/2004, 07:40 PM
Yep,the Barlocks will be there at mine this weekend.I doubt if they`ll travel all the way up here the following weekend again,but we can always ask!It`d be really nice to see them again and any who travel with them.

Looking forward to helping you with the tournament Brian and I`m glad that you`ll be helping at mine.See ya this Saturday and then the following Saturday.:)

`Sensei

RainbowRichards
02/20/2004, 05:34 AM
For anyone who needs to know:

The Library is located at the intersections of MD175 (Annapolis Highway) and MD 713 (Ridge Road). It is 5 minutes from Arundel Mills Mall. The address of the Library doesn't hit in Mapquest :(.

Please LMK if you require ANY further info!!

Big Daddy Snorlax
02/20/2004, 08:08 AM
No glitch. He found out the address and deleted his post.

BDS

RainbowRichards
02/20/2004, 08:24 AM
No glitch. He found out the address and deleted his post.

BDS

Thanks! I've edited my post above, as appropriate ;).

RainbowRichards
02/23/2004, 06:36 AM
5 days to go - hope to see everyone from the Stafford and Rockville CCs next weekend! :clap:

Sensei
02/23/2004, 01:06 PM
Most definately will be there to help out.Looking forward to all the fun.:)

`Sensei

SuperWooper
02/23/2004, 05:56 PM
Sign me up, Brian!

RainbowRichards
02/23/2004, 06:53 PM
Sign me up, Brian!

Got you covered, SW!

TIA for your help, Mike!

RainbowRichards
02/24/2004, 11:02 AM
I remembered that I have 24 Reverse Holo Best #3 Professor Elms to give out to the first 24 players who register on Saturday! :clap: This is in addition to the previously-announced entry prizes.

4 days and counting. :D

RainbowRichards
02/25/2004, 06:26 PM
Make that to the first 50 players... :D

3 days to go (well, 2-1/2, really).

TheCrossFormatKid
02/25/2004, 06:57 PM
I'll be there staffing, might be bringing allong Chris P.

Sensei
02/25/2004, 08:09 PM
Bring everyone! :p

Brian,is there any last minute things you need for me to bring that we haven`t thought of?

SteveP
02/25/2004, 10:33 PM
Man, a FREE CC! That's COOL! Our Littleton TO decided to charge a full $10 for her CC.

RainbowRichards
02/26/2004, 11:34 AM
Sensei - pens and damage counters :)

BJJ763
02/26/2004, 11:52 AM
Come join us at what may be the ONLY FREE Pokemon City Championship in all of North America!
Hate to break it to you, but yours will be the second free CC..... Auburn was the first. Hopefully yours will be as much fun as ours.

Sensei
02/26/2004, 06:36 PM
Are you serious about the pens and damage counters?Man,wish you woulda told me that at my CC.I have that box of damage counters I could have brought with..:) I can pick up a bunch of pens if you need them.

$10?Ouch!

`Sensei

SGH Erika
02/26/2004, 10:24 PM
Yes, the three of us will be there! (Though I have to work all Friday night so I may turn into a Snorlax). Gives us another excuse to stop at Target and get more Icees! Looking forward to it!

RainbowRichards
02/28/2004, 07:20 PM
A HUGE "Thanks!!!" to Sensei` for helping out as HJ (and pretty nearly running this event solo, as I was just getting over a bout with the flu). Thanks, too, to Sean for judging, and to the "Deck-check crew" (Chris, Mke, & Sean). Finally, thanks to City Champion Matthew (winner of 11-14 at last Sunday's event in Rockville) for his good sportsmanship in NOT playing today and NOT taking away a first-place medal from someone else :D!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Overall Attendance

53 Players (after 2 walked away for lack of modified-legal cards!)

10- : 12
11-14 : 17
15+ : 24

Top Decks

10-

1st)Gardevoir/Gardevoir EX/Wobbuffet/Mewtwo EX
2nd)Espeon/Wobbuffet/Grumpig

11-14

1st)BAR
2nd)Blaziken/Delcatty/Rayquaza

15+

1st)Blaziken/Delcatty/Rayquaza
2nd)Swampert/Delcatty/Latias EX

Overall Results

1st)Steven D. (2nd time 1st place 11 - 14)
2nd)Mike P. (1st place 15+)
3rd)Chris P. (2nd place 11 - 14)
4th)Russell B. (2nd place 15+)
5th)Benjamin R. (1st place 10- "yeah, Benjamin" - sorry, proud Dad yell ;))
6th)Aaron H. (3rd place 11 - 14)
7th)Miilhan S. (3rd place 15+)
8th)Mark M. (4th place 15+)
9th)Emerson K. (4th place 11 - 14)
10th)Zoran K. (2nd place 10-)
11th)Jonathan C.
12th)Emily K.
13th)Billey R.
14th)Jeremy G.
15th)Joshua R. (3rd place 10-)
16th)Bradley R. (4th place 10-)
17th)James D.
18th)Shane H.
19th)Colin H.
20th)Jonathan A.
21st)Hayley M.
22nd)Neven K.
23rd)Brandon S.
24th)Steven F.
25th)Mark T.
26th)Joe F.
27th)Jason C.
28th)Tommy D.
29th)Spencer N.
30th)Dave R.
31st)Mike R.
32nd)Devin S.
33rd)Corey P.
34th)Michael L.
35th)Scott P.
36th)Isaac M.
37th)Mark F.
38th)Megan P.
39th)Daniel F.
40th)Annie F.
41st)Devon C.
42nd)Missy C.
43rd)Summer M.
44th)Laura K.
45th)Erika L.
46th)Jacob B.
47th)Matt P.
48th)Julian Y.
49th)Jonathan D.
50th)Russell S.
51st)Meredith M.
52nd)Joey L. (yes, Joey, you DID make your goal of dead last - #53 was a drop after 2 rounds :D)
53rd)Nathan L.

Props

•All the participants for being great sports!
•Mike and Sean for doing an outstanding job judging and help making the event run smooth as silk!
•To Mike for having a healthy voice (to call out all the pairings every round).
•For Out of Staters and Marylanders both placing well!Great mix of winners.

Slops

•To ME for not checking out before-hand to be sure the printer would work with my laptop (it works fine on the home network :mad: ).
•To the person who won his second first-place medal and prizes (and took it away from someone else :().

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll put up photos of the top finishers a bit later - got to R&R and get ready for next weeks' Prerelease... ;)

Sensei
02/28/2004, 08:36 PM
Hey,I had FUN Brian!:)

Your welcome my friend and I`m glad to help out in any way I can.You did a superb job(except for the printer...;)) and Sean and Matthew did awesome jobs as well.Now,to get ready for the prereleases the next two weeks...0-o

`Sensei who is amazed he still has his voice :p

Sensei
02/29/2004, 10:55 AM
OK everyone, I just posted my Severne CC photos (http://community.webshots.com/user/sensei_tc) to my webshots page.Enjoy!

`Sensei

TheCrossFormatKid
02/29/2004, 11:09 AM
Twas a great learning experience, and I'm glad that i was able to help. And sensei, that caption for your first picture is PRICELESS! *dies of laughter*

Sensei
02/29/2004, 12:09 PM
LOL.I told Chris to check out the caption when I put it up... :D

SGH Erika
02/29/2004, 04:38 PM
Thank you Brian, Sensi and Sean. :clap: We finished no where near the top but everyone had fun thanks to you guys doing an outstanding job of running the event. Only wish I had bought a megaphone for you to use to talk over all the noise!
Sensi, thanks for the pictures.

RainbowRichards
03/01/2004, 08:57 AM
A BIG 53 Thanks! to all the players who attended Saturday's CC in Severn, MD!

Here are my pics from the event - Severn CC Photo Album (http://home.comcast.net/~bdricha/severnCC/index.htm)

Scott - thanks for the kind words!

Mike - looking forward to helping at your future Premiere Events ;)

Sean - thanks again for helping to instill order in the chaos!

Hate to break it to you, but yours will be the second free CC..... Auburn was the first. Hopefully yours will be as much fun as ours.

Brian - thanks for the info! ;)

Sensei
03/01/2004, 02:44 PM
Sweet....but wasn`t the lighting weird for pics Brian?Definately look forward to your help Brian and you know I`ll definately be there to help you out whenever you need it.Glad to hear you had a great time SGH and feel free to copy any of the pics that you`d like.

Look forward to seeing everyone next weekend at the Rockville prerelease and then the following Sunday at my prerelease in Stafford!

`Sensei

Chris Pak
03/01/2004, 05:59 PM
I was Very offeneded by what put up.Now everyone thinks I'm a crazy psycho!!!>:-o Naw I'm just playing. It was pretty funny. I thought u were gonna take a retake but it's still good. I had fun at the tournement and with the deck check. Well anyways, thanks for everything and i hope i come to the prerealse. Oh, and sensei, IM me at CDPak007.
by Chris (A.K.A. the local crazy :-D)

Zangoosed
03/08/2004, 03:14 PM
Slops

•To ME for not checking out before-hand to be sure the printer would work with my laptop (it works fine on the home network ).
•To the person who won his second first-place medal and prizes (and took it away from someone else ).

Just to clarify on this situation. I was at this City Championship. And I am friends with Steven who won the tournament. We offered to drop so the other person could win the tournament. We simply asked that when we dropped, that the other kid switch prizes with us. To trade 36 packs for the 18 packs. And he wouldve gotten the medal and the VIP package. Which in turn would have given him even more cool prizes. BUT . . . it was his own dumb fault for not making the deal!!! So he decided to play it out rather than just drop and switch packs. Slops to his stupidity.

What did you expect us to do? Just bend over??? We only asked so little, and we gave you a way out in order for you to get a VIP package, but you didnt take it. You should've just taken it graciously and there wouldnt have been any problems. BUT NOOOOO . . . . you didnt think out the situation and you decided to play the match and of course you ended up losing. PROPS TO STEVEN FOR WINNING HIS SECOND CC!!! AND PROPS FOR US TRYING TO LET THE OTHER KID WIN, BUT SLOPS TO WHOEVER DECIDED TO BE DUMB AND NOT SWITCH PRIZES!

TheCrossFormatKid
03/08/2004, 04:50 PM
Zangoosed, be happy that he didnt "swap prizes", as that probably could have led to some not so good repercussions for both your friend Steve and Chris(as collusion is most definately NOT allowed).

Adv1sor
03/08/2004, 05:10 PM
You are right Kid. We are no longer playing by the old WOTC floor rules which used to allow prize splits in the final round. The POP rules say that, “Engaging in bribery or collusion will result in both players being disqualified from the tournament and / or suspended from Pokémon Organized Play.”

Now that it’s out though, I don’t agree with giving slops to the overall tournament winner. It was his choice to play if he wanted to do so. I might have chosen otherwise, but thanks to Nintendo setting it up like this, it is the individual player’s choice.

Although I have enjoyed playing in three CCs so far, and may even squeeze in one more, it would have made a lot more sense to me to limit players to a single CC, win or lose. Setting a single date for all CCs could most easily have done this. Nevertheless, we are where we are.

Maybe it would be better to say slops to Nintendo for creating such a situation as this?

That said, I will say slops to you Zangoosed for raising the specter of collusion and for making such an insulting post.

I can’t say for a fact, but I would bet a pikachu that it was not the prizes that influenced the 2nd place player’s decision but his own honor at wanting to win the CC by his own merit. Who would want to wear a medal that they didn’t earn but was just handed to them in exchange for some booster packs?

Zangoosed
03/08/2004, 05:16 PM
Riiiiiiiight . . . like nothing like this has ever taken place before at these tourneys. I'm sure all kinds of wheeling and dealing occurs at these tournaments. One would be a fool to think otherwise.

Why is it that recommending that a player drop in order for another player to win the VIP package is not considered unsportsman like? Isnt this a sort of "collusion" as well? If this had been the next world series lets say Marlins versus Yankees again, surely the Marlins would be in trouble for throwing the championship just so the Yanks could win because the Marlins won last year???

Let it be known, that the people running the tournament did allude to the fact that if someone had already won a CC, that it would be "sportsmanlike" to drop if they got to the finals again in order to let someone else win. This was said by one of the gentleman running the tourney.

I agree that collusion is wrong. But I'm just upset with the manner in which everyone at the tournament seemed to think we were the "bad guys" just because he didnt throw the match.

I guess it doesnt matter now. Its yesterdays news and its no use staying upset about it. So i'm just going to let it go. But for whoever gave Steven "slops" . . . really shouldnt have.

Sensei
03/08/2004, 06:27 PM
Point is,it MAY go on,but if it`s caught in one way or another by a judge,then the people who are partaking of this can be disqualified from an event AND also be prohibited from playing in all future sanctioned events.That`s the rules whether anyone likes it or not.So if anyone does it,they better stop doing so or they may not have the chance to be in a sanctioned event ever again.

As for the "slops",he thought it would`ve been the good thing to not play and let someone else have a chance at a medal and preventing just such a situation above(we had one medal winner that was helping out at that event).Yes,technically someone can play in another CC after having won a medal(Steve from PUI said you could although many people asked him not to allow it),but the good sportsman would have stepped aside(again,not a slam on anyone).Also,as you quoted above,he also "slopped" himself for not making sure the printer would work with the laptop beforehand,so always just take it in stride.I even "slopped" chris for goofing at yesterdays prerelease but I also mentioned that it`s ok and these things happen(he did a great job otherwise!).:)

`Sensei

RainbowRichards
03/08/2004, 06:30 PM
It seems I touched a nerve*** - and I meant to.

I asked (you?) when the five of you signed up whether any of you had won a 1st place at another CC. The answer was "yes, my nephew Steven did, but if it happens again today 'it'll be handled'." I didn't think collusion was how you meant to 'handle things'.

We (the staff - Mike and I) had run two previous CCs in the area, and had asked whether the winners, if they planned to attend, wouldn't agree to work as staff instead of potentially winning again and creating this scenario. They were all good sports and did just that.

Everyone knew that the rules as handed down forbade any one player from receiving more than one VIP package, so if they won more than one event, the other VIP package would just be 'lost'. It is my opinion, therefor, that winning more than one CC is the epitome of poor sportmanship.

Oh, and BTW, I really meant to give slops to Steven's uncle - you're right, Steven probaly didn't deserve that.

***Shouting and name-calling are SOOO professisonal and adult :p Let's see "dumb" "stupid" "just bend over" "fool" - yeah, you're the role model I want for my kids - not!

Zangoosed
03/08/2004, 08:58 PM
I'm not Steven's uncle for the record.

Mark M. 8th overall

Throwing a match is good sportsmanship? Thats your opinion and youre entitled to it. I however think otherwise.

***Shouting and name-calling are SOOO professisonal and adult Let's see "dumb" "stupid" "just bend over" "fool" - yeah, you're the role model I want for my kids - not!

Ok so maybe I was angry, I apologize. But isnt giving "slops" to anyone just pretty much the same thing??? You're upset because I said some wrong things. So then surely you can understand why I was upset upon reading the "SLOPS" for Steven.

Lets just put this all behind us. Whats done is done.

This discussion is over.

Sensei
03/08/2004, 09:47 PM
Throwing a match is good sportsmanship?

No,stepping aside after already winning a VIP package and offering to help out instead of playing and possibly(which did happen here and a few other places) taking away a VIP package(and medal for that part) is good sportsmanship.Someone won already?Great!!!Lets let someone else win a medal and VIP package instead of losing a package permanently.:)

Lets just put this all behind us. Whats done is done.

Correct.It`s over with.Lets all take from this and learn.Lets go have fun to play(and judge;)) another day.

`Sensei