PDA

View Full Version : VA SOL's are messed up

The King Of Magikarps
05/16/2007, 08:01 PM
If you live in the state of VA then you probably have taken the SOLs. Well as of last year they (the state) decided it would be better if they want from doing it on paper to doing it online. There are a few issuses with that. One, it makes it easier for people to cheat. Two, it makes it easier for outsiders to hack the system to change grades, steal info, etc. And lastly, the servers crash. This is the most problematic. Recently the servers have crashed within three days. Also the they have froze while in the process of people taking the tests. So what do you think about VA's decision.

Marril
05/16/2007, 08:06 PM
"Why is it whenever someone mentions SOL I am always in trouble... whether it be Standards of Learning or (the other version). I'm always screwed."
—Tyais

In any case, it sounds like a severe case of "we didn't actually test this."

Regis_Neo
05/16/2007, 08:09 PM
Perhaps you can explain what a SOL is for us non-Virginia people? It sounds vaguely like a standardize test or something.

Marril
05/16/2007, 08:25 PM
I actually mentioned it in my first post in the thread. Knock yourself out. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standards_of_Learning)

The King Of Magikarps
05/17/2007, 12:28 PM
Perhaps you can explain what a SOL is for us non-Virginia people? It sounds vaguely like a standardize test or something.

The SOL's are tests in core classes to show how much you learned over the year. And you must pass all of them to graduate.

Regis_Neo
05/17/2007, 12:56 PM
The SOL's are tests in core classes to show how much you learned over the year. And you must pass all of them to graduate.

Ah...ok. Sounds like something I had to do in Arizona to graduate (AIMS). I really hate those kinds of tests...

SuperWooper
05/17/2007, 01:00 PM
If you live in the state of VA then you probably have taken the SOLs. Well as of last year they (the state) decided it would be better if they want from doing it on paper to doing it online. There are a few issuses with that. One, it makes it easier for people to cheat. Two, it makes it easier for outsiders to hack the system to change grades, steal info, etc. And lastly, the servers crash. This is the most problematic. Recently the servers have crashed within three days. Also the they have froze while in the process of people taking the tests. So what do you think about VA's decision.

I live in VA, and, as a senior, I don't need to take the SOLs, but I know a lot of underclassmen who are taking them and we haven't had any server problems. Everything has gone smoothly so far. Where in Virginia do you live?

Time for Pain
05/17/2007, 03:47 PM
^ he lives near me spencer (Richmand area). Also the server went down while I was taking the test last Tuesday.

Sandslash7
05/17/2007, 04:54 PM
^Thats RichmOnd, not Richmand. I hope you studied well for the test, Johnny!

LOL

Anyway, having already graduated, I don't need to take the test.

Time for Pain
05/17/2007, 06:07 PM
^ sorry I never study for tests!!

Marril
05/17/2007, 06:21 PM
^ sorry I never study for tests!!

You should start getting into the habit of it, or you'll be screwed later on when the difficulty level ramps way up.