PDA

View Full Version : San Diego City Championship Report

wilhung53
03/31/2004, 04:08 PM
Hello Pokemon trainers,
Sorry it took so long to get this together. I will be editing this article whenever necessary. My parents and I drove to San Diego. The traffic was bad and we got there much later than expected. The tournament began around 1:15pm, and we were there like 12:50pm. I got a lot of attention as soon as I walked into the store (okay, from American Idol). I greeted the people and kept working on filling out the decklist. I did some scouting in terms of decks that I may face:

BAR, Lunatone - Typhlosion ex, Muk ex / Umbreon SK

That's I all saw from three to four guys from my age group (15+).

I decided to play BAR because I've been operating this deck in the Bay Area and works wonderfully. Also, I playtested other decks like Gardy, and I found this deck to have the highest winning percentage, assuming an evenly distributed decks (not all Gardy or BAR, for example).

It may look odd, because I was missing a second Mareep from Dragons:

BAR v. 2.1

Pokemon (26):
2x Torchic (Dragons)
2x Torchic (Ruby and Sapphire)
2x Combusken (RS - Flare)
4x Blaziken (RS - Firestarter)
3x Rayquaza ex
4x Dunsparce (Sandstorm - Strike and Run)
1x Mareep (Expedition)
1x Mareep (Dragons)
1x Flaafy (Dragons)
2x Ampharos (Expedition - Energy Connect)
2x Skitty (Double Edge)
2x Delcatty (Energy Draw)

Trainers (18):
4x Prof. Oak's Research
4x Rare Candy
4x TV Reporter
4x Oracle
1x Town Volunteers
1x Warp Point

Energies (16):
12x Fire
4x Lightning

I like the Warp Point. It really wins games for me (you'll see how in the tourney report). Other than that, it's a very "standard" BAR deck.

Round 1: vs. Kevin - Gardy
He didn't like facing me - oh well. I started with a Dunsparce, Torchic, and Skitty, and Kevin started with Ralts with Wobbuffet. I didn't have any draw or search power, nor did I draw Evolutions. I drew a couple of Torchics and Energies. Kevin Oracled on turn 2. I couldn't do anything. Once he gets out the Gardevoir ex, I got rocked as I couldn't set up anything until he had one prize left. But because my Torchics were Knocked Out (except for one), I couldn't get enough Energies from the Discard Pile to OHKO his Gardevoir ex. I did 80 to his Gardy ex, and he played a key Potion. I retreated my Rayquaza ex, send up Dunsparce to stall for a turn. I couldn't and he took the last prize.

Loss 0-1 0pts.

Round 2: vs. Dennis - Grass/Water
I had a Torchic, he had a Seedot. I went first. I quickly Fireworks on 2nd turn for the win, as he couldn't get anything in time.

Win 1-1 3pts.

Round 3: vs. Jesse (BAR)
His Blaziken / Rayquaza variant uses Claw Fossils as sacrificing dummies. Very annoying. He got set up first with a fully powered Blaziken, and I had to use 2 Dunsparces as sacrifices to get something set up. I got the Blaziken up and running. He also made an odd choice of running Plusles. Once his Claw Fossils are gone, I Warp Point his Rayquaza ex on Bench (his only other Pokemon in play). It was an easy 2 prizes. Then, the key ruling was the Multi-Energy on the Rayquaza ex. My Blaziken was suppposed to be Knocked Out, but the judge used the old ruling and said Multi Energy can only count as one type, but any type of energy at a time. I use that to my advantage, and attack aggressively.
The match sildes back and forth. However, I eventually got a one prize left . He eventually caught up to me when he KOed Delcatty with Plusle. I should have won through several more turns, but time was up, and both accept a draw.

Draw - 1-1-1 4 pts.

Round 4: vs. Dan (Magneton/Wobbuffet/Azurmarill)
I had to start with Rayquaza ex, but I got serious draw power this time and got set up fairly quickly. When he gets to Flip Over with his Wobbuffet, I Warp Point and keep the game moving. Magneton was the key KO on turn 3.

Win 2-1-1 7 pts.

Round 5: vs. Lee - Cacturne Tech
My opponent tries to counter everything. He got a quick start with his Dunsparce - got his Cacnea and played the Poison game. I dealt 10 with my Dunsparce (Poison), and then Flared it with my Combusken. I set up everything about 4 turns later. It was over after I KOed his Wobbuffet. Basically, I KOed his Wobbuffet with my Blaziken. He brought up Suicune with Pure Sleep and quickly knocked me out. However, I still got up the 3rd Blaziken. Then it was really over.

Win 3-1-1 10 pts.

Round 6 vs. Jarel
I don't remember much except that I saw a Dunsparce and a Wurmple. It was over in about 10 turns as usual.

Win 4-1-1 13 pts.

That's all. My parents and I were waiting for the results. I'm personally happy because I kept my focus when I lost the first round, and had to face BAR variant on the third round. I finished 3rd. Not bad, got 9 boosters for my effort and a nice photo for the store.

Thanks for reading my report. Please offer any suggestions and comments.

Sincerely,
William Hung

Pokekid
03/31/2004, 04:26 PM
Erm.... Imma bit confused....so r u William Hung the crazy american Idol d00d, a guy with a similair name, or just usin his name as ure sn :P

SwampertEX
03/31/2004, 04:34 PM
He's the real deal... There were pics up a while ago...
-Swampy

Pokekid
03/31/2004, 04:35 PM
link me up, I g2 see this to believe O_O

SwampertEX
03/31/2004, 04:36 PM
I'm too lasy... Look in the RTC...

Pokekid
03/31/2004, 04:49 PM
Well I'll be.... shouldn't this be in the tournament section?

Tyranitar666
04/01/2004, 09:32 AM
Congrats- Theres not alot you can do vs Gardevoir if you get a bad start like that. Bad luck none the less. Your list is exactly like my BAR list is, but I run 1 less Rayquaza and I run a Switch in addition to the Warp Point, for instances where I do not have an Ampharos in play.

Interesting on the incorrect ruling with Multi Energy too. Don't worry, if they had ruled against my opponent, I'd have abused that ruling to the full extent possible too.

Great job on getting 3rd too. Any idea who won the whole thing?

And yeah guys, Im 99% sure this is the guy from American Idol, but does it really matter? I know I had read his tournament report up on Pojo from an old STS event, theres no doubting he plays the game, I think is word is enough. He posted here earlier and didn't make any mention of him being on the show until someone brought it up. I think its cool he just wants to play the game and not come here just to draw attention to himself. So help him out with his decks and such, don't pester him with " OMG! ARE YOU REALLY FROM AMERICAN IDOL!? "

TrEkIeV
04/01/2004, 12:30 PM
My Blaziken was suppposed to be Knocked Out, but the judge used the old ruling and said Multi Energy can only count as one type, but any type of energy at a time. I use that to my advantage, and attack aggressively.

very bad judging...
:nonono:

SD PokeMom
04/01/2004, 12:59 PM
I used the old ruling in that situation, yes...which I later corrected in subsequent games. My bad; my apologies to all.

*waits for shower of mud and stones*

And yes, that is the gentleman who appeared on American Idol, from what I was told; I don't watch the program myself...

'mom

Sensei
04/01/2004, 02:08 PM
Guess that makes us kinda famous too now? ;) Glad to see that you had a great time William and that Pokemon is still the game and that you are part of the Pokegym.

Anyways,about misrulings,it happens to us all.No one is perfect.Don`t know of any judge/HJ/TO that never made a mistake.Besides,you can`t learn if you don`t make mistakes.:)

`Sensei

p.s.This does belong in the City Championship Tournament forum.I`ll move it to there.

psycodad
04/01/2004, 03:41 PM
Way to go - you bang!

PokeMasterFlabface
04/01/2004, 03:42 PM
Wow nice job William, but are you guys sure this isnt an April Fools Joke? But it would be cool if he really did play Pokemon. :)

ultimate_healer
04/01/2004, 04:41 PM
dude nice finish. Very cool to see that you did very good.

WeileMom
04/01/2004, 04:49 PM
Wow nice job William, but are you guys sure this isnt an April Fools Joke? But it would be cool if he really did play Pokemon. :)

Poke'mom and I can vouch that he was there, plus he was a very good sport and took a picture with the staff after the tournament. No April Fools joke!
---Nicole
WeileMom

ultimate_healer
04/01/2004, 05:04 PM
So this is really the same guy from American Idol that sang "She Bang". Wow that is cool. Dude you are a true hero to me because i went to a singing contest with no experience and did my best. Actually got past the first round but lost in the 2nd. Cool to know you play pokemon and did very good. Hope you go to a State Championship and do good there.

The Fat Kid
04/01/2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah hes the real thing...
I'd know...
I faced him at the SD city...
I'm Kevin...

Water Pokemon Master
04/01/2004, 05:51 PM
Hey everyone, go to Channel 2 news. They are going to have an interview with that guy in a few minutes.

SD PokeMom
04/01/2004, 06:45 PM
Yeah hes the real thing...
I'd know...
I faced him at the SD city...
I'm Kevin...Kevin who's visited my league? :)

'mom

PokePop
04/01/2004, 06:52 PM
Hey everyone, go to Channel 2 news. They are going to have an interview with that guy in a few minutes.
And channel 2 is what network or local station?

Tyranitar666
04/01/2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah, its not an April Fool's joke, hes been posting here for at least a month now. Again man, great joke, and if you want to, feel free to hit Psycodad. Everyone does it. He squirms alot too! Give it a try! All the cool kids are doing it!

Also, there is nothing wrong with going with an incorrect ruling. There are prizes on the line, and I know hands down I would go for any break I got. I don't go out of my way to get rulings made incorrectly, but if you catch the break, take advantage of it. I don't think its right to blame someone on that.

Water Pokemon Master
04/01/2004, 08:38 PM
And channel 2 is what network or local station?
I was assuming that everyone in SoCal has the same Channel 2, but I guess not...

The Fat Kid
04/02/2004, 02:12 AM
No apparently I am the other Kevin...
The one that hasn't visited your league...
I play for Team Empire...
At Game Empire...

Rep13
04/02/2004, 06:10 PM
Nice report Will. It was really cool meeting you. Don't feel bad about that turn 2 Gardevoir EX with Fat Kevin, because he did it to me too.

OHB
04/03/2004, 12:40 AM
well nice job will hope to see you on sunday hope to play your bar sooner or later

Martin
04/06/2004, 10:11 PM
Good job Will. Why weren't you at Comicon this summer? You went to WCSC, how could you miss the last Wizard event? See you at the SD stadium this summer.

NamelessLamness
07/02/2004, 08:13 PM
it's no joke trust me, I'm the guy who ran the Cacturne-Tech deck against him, I didnt get the win but it was an alright match anyways *dude he kicked your **** >>;;; okay so he did, shut up >> anyway the rest of the tourney was good so it was alright loosing to Will

SD PokeMom
07/02/2004, 08:16 PM
Please don't excavate topics that are almost three months old...:nonono:

*click*

'mom

'mom