PDA

View Full Version : Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Hot_Carl
09/18/2007, 02:57 AM
THIS ANIME IS AWESOME

For those who don't know, it's the latest Gaianax production. It's a mech anime, but it's directed by one of the members of the animation team for FLCL, so the animation is stylish and ridiculous.

Anyone else watch this? Episode 25 of 27 just came out.

Professor_Chris
09/18/2007, 08:19 AM
Darn you! I was going to make this thread after it was over. =(

This show is epic.

Simon shades are EPIC.

Articjedi
09/19/2007, 09:14 PM
someone else wanna back wooton so I can be convinced to watch this?

Professor_Chris
09/23/2007, 02:42 AM
My new assignment at DigiPen is to make a Mars Mission game. You know, that game where you have to land your space craft without crashing and dying? Well, originally, I just planned to have a simple space craft with flames and decided to make my own art assets instead of using the pre-made ones. However, I had a stroke of brilliance.
Allow me to introduce:
Tengen Top Gurren-Lander (http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/JuwannaPeezadis/GurrenLander/TengenTopGurrenLander.jpg)
Here is Gurren-Lander (http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/JuwannaPeezadis/GurrenLander/GurrenLander.gif)

I'm not done yet, but it's coming along pretty well. xD Still need to make the levels which will probably be vastly inferior to my Lander. =(

Articjedi
09/23/2007, 09:36 PM
that is sweet, so when are you making day of saggitarius 3?

Professor_Chris
09/23/2007, 10:02 PM
Well, networking games aren't until 3rd or 4th year (I forget which is 3D and which is networking). XD

EDIT:
Episode 26 was even more epic than the last. The last episode will have to be the epitome of epic.

. . .

I had an epiphany that episode 27 will be the epitome of epic epilogues not to be watched by those with epilepsy.

That's the best I could do.

Hot_Carl
09/24/2007, 02:28 PM
Episode 26 was nuts. 27 will be the epitome of epic, like you said. Here's my guess about the end...

The first scene of the first episode, where you see a battle in space and Boota and Simon. (We know it's Boota now, which I thought was awesome) That scene will also be the last scene of episode 27. The anti-spirals are gone, and it's a different battle.

Professor_Chris
09/30/2007, 08:26 PM
fsjdahfshdfsjfhdfslddhfsdhlfa;lfruhtuiaregkrvjndxj fgfhksafuihreuwnbfkjs.vfbdfjshfbewhfsdlfkjdsfhbkas lf
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN IS THE BEST SHOW EVER

Such an epic last episode. It was so epic I totally forgot about Boota until after it was over. What happened to Boota. ?_? Oh well, who cares? It was amazing.

EricDent
09/30/2007, 09:34 PM
Chris you are one lucky guy. I always wanted to go to Digipen. But, I probably would have not gotten accepted. Due to some poor grades in certain subjects (math, blech!).

I have heard really cool things about this anime, I will wait till the DVD comes out soon.

Dek
10/01/2007, 07:42 PM
horray for hotblooded endings.

I was actually quite impressed with the series. I was expecting it to turn into Evangelion all of a sudden (it is from Gainax after all), but thank god it didn't

Crosplat
10/01/2007, 09:11 PM
I need to find this anime on youtube and watch it. It sounds very interesting.

Hot_Carl
10/01/2007, 09:30 PM
Good end. I kinda wanted insight on the battle from the first scene, but I'll live.

And yeah, I couldn't handle an Eva ending. ;x

Professor_Chris
10/02/2007, 09:24 AM
horray for hotblooded endings.

I was actually quite impressed with the series. I was expecting it to turn into Evangelion all of a sudden (it is from Gainax after all), but thank god it didn't
Hurray indeed. Hot-blooded series are the best. They're the only reason to watch sports anime. Which reminds me that I can't wait until Major season 4. :3

I need to find this anime on youtube and watch it. It sounds very interesting.
You would be doing yourself a disservice to watch this beautiful series with crappy youtube quality when there are very nice, high quality fansubs to be found.

Good end. I kinda wanted insight on the battle from the first scene, but I'll live.

And yeah, I couldn't handle an Eva ending. ;x
Eva ending would have destroyed Gurren-Lagann's awesome. And that's a lot of awesome to destroy.

Hot_Carl
10/03/2007, 03:12 PM
The OST is pretty amazing. This was a freakin' great series. Here's my top 5 series now that GL is complete.

1. Death Note
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
4. Wolf's Rain
5. Naruto (Manga only)

Death Note was inspiring and amazing. Cowboy Bebop is just irreplaceable, but I almost put TTGL as my #2.

Feel free to share where this series sits with you. ;D

Professor_Chris
10/03/2007, 06:19 PM
What? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is not #1? Blasphemy.

1. TENGEN TOPPA GURREN-LAGANN
2. One Piece
3. Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger
4. Kamen Rider Den-O

I kinda want a second season of Gurren-Lagann. On the other hand, I kinda don't.

Hot_Carl
10/03/2007, 06:48 PM
One Piece at #2 and Cowboy Bebop nowhere in sight? THAT'S blasphemy. ;(

Professor_Chris
10/03/2007, 08:26 PM
Are you trying to insinuate that One Piece is not totally awesome?

Articjedi
10/03/2007, 10:28 PM
I'm not sticking gurren on my list until I see the whole thing. Geez Chris, your list is a lot different from mine.

Professor_Chris
10/03/2007, 11:17 PM
I thought about putting Suzumiya Haruhi at 5th, but I ended up being unable to completely decide. Besides, that's only a current top four. Gurren-Lagann will eventually drop off that list as new things come in even if it was better than everything else (which it probably is).

Also, I just really love Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, so I had to put them up there in my effort to promote them. If I restricted myself to just anime I'd be forced to pick between a lot of shows I really like.

Regis_Neo
10/04/2007, 03:07 AM
Anyone want to explain exactly what this is about?

Professor_Chris
10/04/2007, 07:51 AM
It would be hard for me to explain exactly what it is about and why exactly it is so awesome without giving away major plot points.

So, I'll just say it's "a story of a man who rips a hole in the destiny of a universe fated for battle." It's of the giant robot genre and is made of win and awesome.

EDIT:
I just watched the first part of the first episode again. The Boota there was much older than the one we saw. It could be possible that that was not Simon. Gurren Lagann season 2 confirmed?

Professor_Chris
10/13/2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smhiiPYO4ds

Yes, that's actually Simon's VA.

EDIT:
Now, for the story behind it*:
Kakihara Tetsuya, Simon's VA, played a leading role in Princess Princess (his only other leading role thusfar) as Yutaka Mikoto. In one of the episodes the Princesses sing the Cutie Honey theme song. Additionally, Kakihara Tetsuya doesn't change his voice for his different roles. Appartently someone took this and made a Re: Cutie Honey parody out of it. Some other interesting information: Tetsuya also had roles in Mahou Shojou Lyrical Nanoha A's as Levantine, Graf Eisen, and Randy; in Romeo x Juliet as Mercutio; and an apparently minor role in Doki Doki School Hours.

*I have not watched Princess Princess. This info comes from Wikipedia. However, I have watched the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series, Romeo x Juliet, and Doki Doki School Hours.

EDIT2: For kicks, I looked up the VA's for the other "Princesses" and who else they have voiced (not a complete list obviously).
Pak Romi:
Hitsu***a Toushirou (Bleach)
Kobayakawa Sena (Eyeshield 21, Jump Festa 2004 only)
Falis aka Alita (Murder Princess)
Ueki Kousuke (Law of Ueki)
Shimizu Taiga (Major)
Temari (Naruto)
Zola (Blue Dragon)
Haraken (Dennou Coil)
Osaki Nana (Nana)
Jirou/Forest (Pokemon)
Tao Ren (Shaman King)
Elena (Devil May Cry Anime)
Kawanishi Sentaro (Ah! My Goddess)
Teresa (Claymore)
Ichijouji Ken (Digimon Adventure 02)
Kurara (Blood+)

Fukuyama Jun:
Yumichika Ayasegawa and Mizuiro Kojima (Bleach)
Guy (Blood+)
Muto Kazuki (Busou Renkin)
Anon (Law of Ueki)
Tachibana Riku (Onmyou Taisenki)
Goruba (GARO)
Roy (Super Smash Bros. Melee)

EDIT3: Found the youtube link for the performace. xD I suppose the individuals were released on character albums. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HxzXbmASFY its around 5:00 I found it hilarious and disturbing simultaneously.

Hot_Carl
10/16/2007, 03:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70xtpn90-k

I don't know why, I thought that was cool. ;p

I know the average dub quality of anime should be higher, but this series really deserves a good VA cast. So much manly screaming. ;x

Professor_Chris
10/16/2007, 08:43 AM
That was epic and much more manly than the youtube link I posted. xD

Articjedi
10/31/2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.vgcats.com/anime/

I haven't gotten this far in the show yet, but here's one for Alex and Chris.

Hot_Carl
10/31/2007, 06:27 PM
ETERNAL UNION OF BURNING GOURDS! (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/kruncheenmilk/Photo65.jpg)

JACK-O-LANTERN GURREN-DAN!! (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/kruncheenmilk/Photo68.jpg)

WHO THE HECK DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/kruncheenmilk/Photo66.jpg)

Just thought I'd share my obsession with this show. ;D

Also, here's my family's traditional Drunk-kin + Angry wife. (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/kruncheenmilk/Photo67.jpg)

Professor_Chris
11/03/2007, 12:23 AM
"Did you see it? Rabbit's ears flaming and burning! Forced gattai! Usaggon Lagann!"

"USAGGON PUNCH!"

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann OVA has been released. It came with the DS game and features two game-only beastmen.

Professor_Chris
11/23/2007, 09:57 PM
So, Shinsen-Subs finally released another batch of Oh! Edo Rocket. Episode 21 contains the most awesome Kamina parody. Too bad I couldn't find a youtube for it. =(

EDIT: Speaking of youtube, Episode 21 was recapped at the beginning of Episode 22 using Youtube. xD

EDIT 2: Holy crap, another Kamina parody in 23! xD

Professor_Chris
12/21/2007, 08:57 AM
For those of you who have an agenda against fansubs (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), the first episode of Gurren Lagann is available at theanimenetwork.com with English subtitles.