PDA

View Full Version : Results of Houston Gym Challenge

Pokemaster1110
05/08/2004, 08:07 PM
Today Heroes Collectables in Houston hosted our Pokemon Gym Challenge.

Congrats to the big winner in the 15+ age group, Jimmy, who played a nasty Mewtwo EX deck.

Suprisingly, BAR/RAMBO decks were scarce today, the only one making it to the top eight eliminated in the first round.

Second place went to Mr. Dana Lynch, who played a Blaziken/Salamnce deck.

Third place went to Diana Chambers who played a nice Swampert/Suicune EX deck (yeah!!)

A great time was had by all, including the judges, myself, Jim Parish and Ty Walraven, who all went home clutching a box of Aqua/Magma and several of the Gym Challenge promos, Beldum (nice power on a basic!)

Big props to our T.O., Charles, aka Professor Birch (I should have taken a picture!) and the ever-present "Computer Guy" Sam. And to John Wolfhart, who cleared his store's tables for uss to play at!

We had several players from out of town (and even out of state) show up, and rouge decks ruled the day; Swampert/Suicune EX, Swampert/Omastar, Mewtwo EX and Wailord EX.

Thanks to all who participated!

~The Day's Big Highlights~

1. I trade six bucks and a couple extra Aqua's Manetrics for three water call Swamperts, and pull a pair of Suicune EX!

2. Trent Chambers traded a guy his Mewtwo EX for a Blaziken EX!

3. Phillip Tran, who came late, played only the Sealed Booster side event, and out of his game/prize packs gets a Cradily/Suicune/Blaziken EX!

4. Seth Page gets the number two seed spot with an Alakazam/Espeon deck!

~The Day's Big Lowlights~ (is lowlights a word?)

1. I turn around to answer a player's Question, and I turn back around to find my Gardivor EX stolen.

2. Remember number 2 from above? Some guy was on the other end of that.

3. Brian Grimm, one of Houston's best players, finishes second to last trying out a Muk EX/Umbreon/Seviper deck. Because no one plays Zangoose, right? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

4. Mrs. Nancy Lynch played her husband. She had two mudkips, two rare candies and two elms training method, and all her Swampert were in the prizes.

Anybody, did I forget something?

ShinAkuma
05/08/2004, 09:24 PM
Man this event was so much fun i had a blast. i love heroes collectibles it is a great store and thanks to Jimmy i could go . see ya later :D :pokeball:

Xeno
05/08/2004, 09:35 PM
Yup, I went home pretty happy! My spoils were... 3 Promo Beldum, Holo Charmander, Craydilly ex, Suicune ex, and the secret rare Absol plus some other cards I got in the boosters! Even though I got there late, I went home VERY happy!

Major Props:
- All the judges there, Jim, Ty, Charles, this guy with an accent(sorry, never got your name), and Brian
- Birch for his generosity =D
- Seth, Diana, and Danny for making it that high
- A rogue deck took the win! =P
- My spoils of the day

Thanks for a great event!

PokeMasterFlabface
05/09/2004, 02:46 AM
Yeah it was fun being there for the first time. A lot of very cool Rogue decks and Revamped decks. Maybe if I get a League in San Antonio, maybe you guys can come and fight in my turf. :)

Pokemaster1110
05/09/2004, 09:51 AM
Oh, by the way Houston guys, I need to know if you think I should I should come up with a restricted list for the upcoming "Everythings a Basic" tournament number two. Jim and I don't think it's nessisary as that even cards that would be totally broken (like Blastoise and Slowking) will have some competition. Just wanting some input.

And we are tossing around the idea for a City Wide competition, leauge vs. leauge. That might take some time, but just thought I'd throw out that possability.

Aggronblaster
05/09/2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the complament!!!!!!!
League Vs. League sounds fun!!!!! =p

Seth Page (A.K.A. aggy)

BANGINBOX
05/09/2004, 06:03 PM
Today Heroes Collectables in Houston hosted our Pokemon Gym Challenge.
Congrats to the big winner in the 15+ age group, Jimmy, who played a nasty Mewtwo EX deck.
Thanx, I really worked on this style of deck for many months.

~The Day's Big Highlights~
2. Trent Chambers traded a guy his Mewtwo EX for a Blaziken EX!
You mean ripped the guy off.

4. Seth Page gets the number two seed spot with an Alakazam/Espeon deck!
Sorry Seth, you very well could have won. Great deck. Man, I am lucky I didn't see another boost.;)

Major Props:
- A rogue deck took the win! =P
You don't hear that too often!

Again,
Thanks for a great event!

mewsmom
05/09/2004, 07:53 PM
I enjoy reading you all's updates but lets try to have all the facts before posting results.

Dale Lynch took 2nd to Little Jose (from San Antonio) sorry bud (Dale) your deck had pure weakness to his. Props to Jose, your still on top and you rarely play.

Tracy & Heather have had the 1st & 2nd battle going on for several tournies now and it's so hard to choose who you want your victor to be. Tracy, we'll see you at Worlds, you go girl.

Jimmy, if it couldn't have been one of us or Clay, you of course would be next in line. Congrats man, you deserve it. But for someone who hates to beat me in tourneys, you got alot of metagame going on against my deck. LOL

Mob2099, your back in top, now let's take it to 1st. Your so lucky I brought up the wrong Omastar!! :)

Really glad to See more Rogue Decks in top than Net decks.

PS, I play Omastar because of RARE Candies, and would NEVER play something I'm metagaming against.

Turbo Blastoise
05/10/2004, 09:03 AM
Yeah, that Mewtwo ex deck that BANGIBOX ran really gave me a run for my money. It was so fast!!! I would have never expected anything like that to win especially one that would beat my Blaziken deck. Very good deck and very original! I feel like you deserved it! Good job!

~Blazi-King~
05/10/2004, 09:33 AM
Congrats Jimmy......too bad i didnt get to see more of it during the game lol.....

meganium45
05/10/2004, 09:51 AM
Jimmy has his trip WOOT! One less for the 15+ at the South Stadium....PM me Jim, we may be able to use you...

M45

Who were the winners of the 10- division???

M45

mewsmom
05/10/2004, 10:07 AM
Jimmy has his trip WOOT! One less for the 15+ at the South Stadium....PM me Jim, we may be able to use you...

M45

Who were the winners of the 10- division???

M45

Jose (Stephen) from San Antonio took 1st and Dale took 2nd in 10-
Tracy took 1st and Heather took 2nd 11-14

Master Professor Birch
05/10/2004, 12:41 PM
~Great Job of Posting the Results~

I would like to thank everyone for the great job of posting the "Houston Gym Challenge" results. Please, let me post the attendance figures for the tournaments unless you have the correct information from me at the tournament. I don't mind you posting results or attendance. Just ask me for the correct figures.

Congradulations to our winners!!! Great job!!! It just seems to get harder everytime to win one of these. There are a large number of players that are very very close to the top talent level. A great job by the "MOB" for their showing in this tournament. Three second place finishes and a fourth place!!!

I hope to see all of you in Plano, Texas on June 16, 2004 for the Gym Challenge there. I am not the "PTO" for this Gym Challenge, but I will be there playing. And Master Professor Birch has thrown off the rust and I will be taking no prisioners this time. Birch will be backing up the van and loading up the prizes!!! Good luck to all.

:pokeball: Master Professor Birch :pokeball:

meganium45
05/10/2004, 12:49 PM
You go Birch!!!!

Take 'em all!!

Since they are not giving PTO's invites, we have to earn our own!!!

mewsmom, I know the feeling, and good luck on the next round of GCs, my sons have been infamous finishing 2nd, but we took a 1st in Nashville!!! (yeah, yeah, I took a 3rd...)

Go Team Ream!

M45

Cyrus
05/10/2004, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah...sorry about that! ^^""

I tend to get ahead of myself when posting results for tournaments I didn't even go to!

Let's hope our rematch is better, Richard! My cruddy early game and your cruddy mid game shall be things of the past! Perfect hand vs Perfect hand!

...or crap hand vs crap hand ;)

Aggronblaster
05/10/2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks box but I still can't believe I could not pull a boost or double rainbow out of two oak's and one copycats. but a lose is a lose and ones again congrats.