PDA

View Full Version : Tangled Terra

ApachePrime
04/21/2008, 10:29 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm just looking for some constructive tips on my deck. Please let me know what you think could help. Some cards are used just because I don't have more of others, like Bebe's instead of Celio's. I also have the two Team Galactic's in there just to add trainers, but I'm not very fond of them. They usually end up being Claydol Fodder.

Thanks!

Tangled Terra:
15 Grass Energy

3-2-2 sceptile
3-2-2-2 Lvl X. torterra
2-2 tangrowth
2-2 claydol

4 Bebe's Search
1 Celio's Network
4 Rare Candy
4 Rosanne's Research
2 Windstorm
1 Team Galactic's Mars
1 Team Galactic's Wager
1 Mr. Stone's Project
1 Warp Point
2 Switch

japple52
04/21/2008, 11:01 AM
Here are my suggestions:

-1-1-0 Sceptile
-1 Torterra Lv. X
+1 Torterra
+2 Unown G

-1 Team Galactic's Mars
-1 Team Galactic's Wager
-1 Mr. Stone's Project
+2 Warp Point
-2 Switch
-1 Celio's Network
+1 Night Maintenance
+3 POV, Rowan, or another draw card you like

Also, I don't think Torterra and Tangrowth go well together because they rely on different strategies. Torterra requires setup, where Tangrowth relies on speed and requires little setup beyond getting a Sceptile out. I'm not saying the above deck wouldn't work, but it may run into some consistency issues.

I hope this helps.

ApachePrime
04/21/2008, 11:08 AM
I just want to start with my thoughts on your pointers, they are in no way rejecting your help. Thank you very much.

The Torterra is my starter and requires little to no start up. With a sceptile on the bench I need 2 energy for it to be effective. Torterra allows me to setup Tangrowth on my bench, and is a great staller at 160 HP. I really rely a lot on my switches, and warp point would allow my opponent to switch more than I'd like. I wouldn't mind switching one of the other trainers for a Warp Point, but I'm not willing to part with my switches. The night maintainence is definitely a great idea. However with Claydol, I don't really think I need draw power.

Why remove a Celio's? What is the advantage of Bebe's over the Celio's?

japple52
04/21/2008, 12:06 PM
No worries, ApachePrime. These forums are for bouncing ideas off one another, and surely, we don't all have to agree.

I understand what you're saying, however you are assuming that you'll have the necessary cards to get out a Torterra Lv. X, Sceptile, and Claydol quickly. If you don't draw into these cards and odds are you won't very often, then you'll have some issues getting setup. That's why starters and draw cards are so important because they help you get the cards you need without relying on drawing into them. Consistency is a huge part of a deck’s success.

In regards to Switch and Warp Point, it's really a personal preference. If you like Switch better, then I’d use it. As far as Bebe’s is concerned, it helps get rid of a card, which will allow you to have more hand space for Cosmic Power. In general, Celio’s is a better card, but if you keep the Celio’s, then I’d drop 1 Bebe’s.

I hope this helps.

ApachePrime
04/21/2008, 12:16 PM
I definitely found your comments to be helpful, and I just wanted to make sure my comments weren't taken the wrong way.

I can definitely see the merit of adding the Unown G's, however much like Holon's castform and the Baltoy in my deck alredy, doesn't this create another weak first hand possibility?

Also, I have no problems removing one of each Grotle and Grovyle, do you think this would be a good idea? Should I stick with 3 basics in each line too, or should I cut that down to 2 each and go for more trainers?

Thinking back to regionals, I can definitely see the need for some draw supporters/trainers.

japple52
04/21/2008, 01:58 PM
Yes, Unown G is a bad starter but not as bad as Holon Castform because it's a 1 energy loss at most. If you start with Unown G, you retreat and can always use Guard to free up bench space. I think Unown G is worth the rare bad start for this deck.

I'd suggest for Pokemon line numbers:

2-1-2 Sceptile
4-2-3-1 Torterra-Torterra Lv. X
2-2 Tangrowth
2-2 claydol

This is 22 Pokemon, which is a good number to have. Also, 15 Energies is good too. You just have to play around with the trainers to get the deck running as consistant as you can. If you find you're having trouble getting what you need, I'd drop the 2-2 Tangrowth line and add 4 Stantler or Pachi.

I hope this helps.

ApachePrime
04/22/2008, 07:24 AM
Made some of the changes you suggested and play tested a bit, definitely some good changes.

Any other suggestions from anyone?