PDA

View Full Version : Colin gets first at SSC..at least in Swiss Rounds

swanton1717
07/12/2004, 08:38 AM
Ya so this will be my report from the South Stadium Challenge. We leave 6:30 AM on Friday and get to Arlington at like 6:30 PM. We have dinner with a bunch of Texas people, but I have a very annoying headache so I donít really feel like being Mr. Social so I donít really talk to anyone. So we go back to the hotel and do stuff, I donít remember what though. But I go to bed pretty early.

Anyway I wake up at 7:30 Saturday, shower, and do my hair. Then we leave for the convention center. We get there and just walk around a bit and it starts ON TIME so thatís a plus. So let me go onto the report, I played Exploud btw.

1st Round: Man with Blaziken
I get up extremely early and get down to 1-6 in prizes. Then he KOís a lot of my Explouds and such and I am left with Wobbuffets, so I basically just wait for time to be called and keep Nursing my Wobs. So I win as time is called and its 1-2 in prizes.

2nd Round: Man with Team Aqua Deck
I get set up with like a turn 2 Wobbuffet and grab a few prizes with that. I then Briney it up and start smacking around with Exploud. This ends pretty quickly.

3rd Round: Ummm Roy from Oklahoma with Swampert
I get up early and he doesnít really get set up, he makes a mistake of laying down 2 Mangeton and 2 Delcatty on the bench and maybe a Dunsparce. So he has like 1-2 spaces for Mudkips. I get up an Exploud and just start smacking everything and lay down Desert Ruins to screw over his Swampert Exís. He puts out a Ancient Tomb, but that helps me more then him because now his Swampert Exís cannot ohko my Explouds ^_^ I think I win by time as well, or him decking or something. But I win.

4th Round: Boy with Mewtwo Ex/Milotic/Gorebyss
Well this is a pretty easy game. I play a Wynaut first turn and grab a Whismur with Smile. He SARS and then grabs a Mewtwo Ex and like 2 of other stuff. I attach to Whismur and smile for Loudred. Well he retreats for mewtwo ex and absorbs. So ya I evolve to Wob attach boost and grab 2 prizes ;P He then sends up like sparce and SARS again for more stuff, but not Mewtwo Ex. Well I basically just smack everything with Exploud from now on, he obviously didnít know much as he thought Milotic got rid of the pebbles off of Mewtwo Ex, so I cant believe no one else caught him doing that earlier..or maybe he was cheating? Hmm. Anyway I win.

5th Round: Taylor Blaziken
We draw. But we play for fun and I crush him.

6th Round: A guy with Gardevoir
Ya so Gardevoir is like auto win for Exploud so I basically just get up my Exploud and have one energy in play and he canít do anything to me. I just spread the pebbles and ATM rock for many many prizes.

7th Round: Shiftry
We draw. We play for fun and it was a close game..but I win.

Ya so I go into Top 16 being the first seed. So I am pretty confident. Also Pat(nikepk) gets into Top 16 so thatís really cool =) There were many many Blaziken decks in Top 16..iíd say maybe like 9 or so. Ya so lets get to my match.

Top 16: Man with Blaziken/Salamence
Round 1: Well I start with 2 Whismur, 2 Psychic, 2 boost, and an Exploud. I knew that I win if I can get a Loudred or something. Well its after 6 turns and I have used no Supporters and have gotten no Loudreds or any other Pokemon besides more Explouds. And he has 1 Delcatty, 1 Blaziken, and 2 Salamence. So ya I lose pretty quickly.

Round 2: Well I start with a Wobbuffet and like no draw. So ya I lose this one pretty quickly as well =\

Ya so Iím not really bummed about losing cause I already have my trip and that my Exploud is like, a beast.

Well Pat ends up getting 4th, but the trip is bumped down to him ^_^ So he is going to Worlds. So Iím very happy for that reason. Congrats Pat =)

So now for Props and Slops:

Props:
St. Louis crew obv.
Vince and Denise for driving me there and such =)
Pat for winning a trip
Andrew(m45í son) For getting 1st in 10-
All the other people I met
Being on time

Slops:
The extreme amount of headaches I was getting

And thatís it =) It was a very fun time. And Iíll see you all at Worlds.

~Colin

OOOOOOOOO YA I got a Gloom figurine, so that also made me extremly happy.

Prime
07/12/2004, 08:43 AM
Great job.

wilhung53
07/12/2004, 10:50 AM
I got to give you credit for designing the Exploud and Wobbuffet deck. Great job.

Cyrus
07/12/2004, 11:09 AM
Hehe, I thought Patriarch was a cool Texas person? =P

Hehe, congrats. I know Vince gave you a nice goodie for getting 1st in Swiss, as he often does.

Freddy K.
07/12/2004, 11:30 AM
GJ t16 is no mean feat at all... I'll be wanting you to sign my Exploud at Worlds of course... ;) see you there..

~fK

Pooka
07/12/2004, 11:51 AM
Hey Colin, great job anyway. First in Swiss NEVER wins. Nothing you can do about bad starts. I'll see you at Worlds. =D

Pablo
07/12/2004, 12:24 PM
nice report colin, cool you had a good time, and the event must've been a blast! 1 month and 8 days...

Magnechu
07/12/2004, 01:00 PM
GJ Colin. You know 1st in Swiss never wins, especially if you go undefeated. ;P Nice job with Exploud, it's the total pwnage. See ya at Worlds..^_^

~Chu :)

ultimate_healer
07/12/2004, 01:11 PM
Colin im really proud of ya man...congrats on 1st in the swiss. too bad ya lost in da top 16 but its ok...cant wait 2 see ya at worlds

nikePK
07/12/2004, 02:20 PM
Hey Colin, nice job of course. Thanks for letting me spend the night with ya... hopefully you won't get headaches at worlds lol >_<

Mega Murkrow
07/12/2004, 08:31 PM
I knew you'd moll the competition to death! I'm sorry that my hair wasn't able to cure your headaches. I did what I could. :P

Whicker
07/12/2004, 08:35 PM
I had a lot of headaches while I was there also
but good job on your first in Swiss
hard to do
too bad it ended in the first round of top 16

sharky
07/12/2004, 08:51 PM
Why did exploud do well?
I am curious.
because to put it bluntly, it sux.
What is the strategy?

Whicker
07/12/2004, 08:54 PM
Exploud is really versatile
and after a few of the 10 damage to all attack, ATM (Rock) will take down several pokemon

but I agree, I don't think it is that great

sharky
07/12/2004, 09:05 PM
why not use something like sttelix/furrett?
It would be WAY faster and much more versatile, IMO.
Blaze might be a problem, but it really isn't that big anymore.

Cyrus
07/12/2004, 09:07 PM
It is not that great. However, Colin was at the helm. William is also a good player as well.

In short, rogues did so well in swiss because good players were at the helms. Despite losing to Mr. Hung, I knew exactly how to deal with his deck.

I didn't win a trip, but I'll boast freely that I was familiar with each rogue to have made an appearance there, and appropriately handled them all. Pat and Will would definitely vouch for me. ;)

Hope Vince gives you a 1st seed goodie, Colin

ColdCoates90
07/12/2004, 09:10 PM
Good job on top 16 Colin.See you at Worlds. :)

Whicker
07/12/2004, 09:10 PM
yeah
the player matters a lot too

William is a great player
but too bad people like him because he's famous
I respect him as a player more than a singer

sharky
07/12/2004, 09:13 PM
Ya, stick to pokemon, Will.

swanton1717
07/13/2004, 07:32 AM
Yay lots of replies

Anyway too many to thank individually but thanks everyone, it was nice meeting you all.

Also Exploud is not a deck that everyone will understand, no body liked it at the beginning. But now people are beginning to see that it really is a nice deck. Very fun to play as well.

I'll cya all at worlds ^_^

~Colin

nikePK
07/13/2004, 07:40 AM
Exploud is one of the best decks in the format, so I have no idea why you guys don't like it =|

Patriarch, yeah, you certainly did your homework on the rogue stuff lol.

sharky
07/13/2004, 07:59 AM
Wigglyuff ex is an awesome deck too, and it would've made at least t-8 if not for the supporter ruling.
I was 9th at SSC in the 11-14 division, BTW.

Whicker
07/13/2004, 11:04 AM
yeah
stupid Supporter thing

anyway, I guess Exploud is really good
versatile

Bigpoppabeatdown
07/13/2004, 12:21 PM
Wigglyuff ex is an awesome deck too, and it would've made at least t-8 if not for the supporter ruling.
I was 9th at SSC in the 11-14 division, BTW.

which supporter ruling are u talking about?

and i agree that wiggly ex will start to emerge...... i've paired it up with gorebyss, but it's all good nonetheless, u just gotta pair it up with something decent