PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Hungry Hippos

Catbus
01/28/2009, 04:53 PM
Haven't seen any BTET Hippowdon Decks and I have these two Hippowdon Lv X's laying around. Tried them with Flygon and just hated the results...no real synergy there in my view. But, Togekiss and Regirock seem to couple effectively. So, here's a possible deck. Let me know what you recommend to improve this:

POKEMON
4-2-2 DP Hippopotas-BTET Hippowdon & Lv X
3-2-2 Togekiss GE
2 Regirock LA
2-2 Claydol GE
1 Unown G
22 Pokemon

TRAINERS & SUPPORTERS
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
4 Felicity's Drawing
2 Super Scoop Up
3 Rare Candy
2 Stark Mountain
1 Premier Ball
1 Luxury Ball
2 Night Maintenance
23 Trainers & Supporters

ENERGY
15 Fighting Energy
15 Energy

Strategy: Start with Hippotas or Togepi to yawn your opponent to sleep while setting up Hippowdon and Togetic in play and a Hippowdon Lv X and Togekiss in your hand. Then, as soon as you have those and, ideally, one energy in your hand and one in your discard pile, level up to Hippowdon Lv X and use Sand Reset, causing all energy to be reshuffled into both decks. Add your energy from your hand and drop down your Togekiss to hopefully add 2-4 more. Then, use Stock Sand to add yet another. Now you're sitting nicely charged while your opponent is sitting there with no energies. You can either build up Stock Sand's attack, or start sniping your opponent's bench pokemon with Double Chute. Ahh...if only you could use more than one Sand Reset.

To boost the recharge, get Regirock on your bench and, coupled with Stark Mountain, add another energy on some turns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
TRANSLATIONS:

BTET Hippopotas (In case you don't like the DP Hippopotas and want the + 10HP)
LV.31 - Fighting - HP70
Basic Pokemon

[C] Toss: 10 damage. Switch the Defending Pokemon with one of your opponent's Benched Pokemon. Your opponent chooses the Benched Pokemon to switch.
[F][C][C] Endeavor: 30 damage. Flip 2 coins, this attack does an additional 20 damage times the number of heads.

Weakness: Water (+10)
Resistance: Lightning (-20)
Retreat: 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hippowdon LV.48 - Fighting - HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Hippopotas

Poke-Body: Sand Cover
As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, in between turns, place 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokemon LV.X.

[C] Stock Sand: Does 20 damage plus 10 damage times the number of Energy attached to Hippowdon. Before doing damage, you may attach 1 Basic Fighting Energy card from your discard pile to Hippowdon.
[F][F][C][C] Grand Quake: 80 damage. Does 10 damage to each Benched Pokemon (yours and your opponent’s) that isn’t an Evolved Pokemon.

Weakness: Water (+20)
Retreat: 4
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hippowdon LV.X - Fighting - HP130
Level-Up

Poke-Power: Sand Reset
You can use this Power once per game, during your turn. Each player returns all of his or her cards in play, other than Pokemon and Supporter cards, to his or her deck. Then, each player shuffles his or her deck. This Power can't be used if you already used another Sand Reset Poke-Power during this game.

[F][F][C][C] Double Chute: Discard 2 Fighting Energy attached to Hippowdon and do 40 damage to 2 of your opponent's Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Retreat: 4

JandPDS
01/28/2009, 05:13 PM
Did you try them with the old Flygon or the new one? I would think that giving your Hippodons free retreat and the ability to OHKO Level X's on the bench would not be horribly synergy. Especially if you Use the Hippodon power to remove all enrgy in play then attatch Energy links to Hippodon and Flygon. Use Hippodons One erergy attack to put annother energy on it then on your next put a fighting on the benched flygon, free retreat the hippodon then move the two energy from it to the Flygon and fire away for 150 (at a level X) while your opponent only has one energy in play.

gashmoigidy
01/28/2009, 06:04 PM
POKEMON
4-3-1 DP Hippopotas-BTET Hippowdon & Lv X
3-2-3 Togekiss GE
2 Regirock LA
2-2 Claydol GE
2 Unown G
22 Pokemon

TRAINERS & SUPPORTERS
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
2 Felicity's Drawing
3 Super Scoop Up
3 Rare Candy
3 Stark Mountain
1 Premier Ball
1 Luxury Ball
2 Night Maintenance
23 Trainers & Supporters

ENERGY
15 Fighting Energy
15 Energy

[

Looks like a good deck, I think this deck is very good. Super mean, sand reset then drop a togekiss

machampX
01/28/2009, 06:13 PM
looks good soo far
but
6/10

mozartrules
01/28/2009, 06:48 PM
Who knows whether Kingdra will be around at that time. but having weakness to a Pokemon that is happy on a single energy isn't very good.

Catbus
01/28/2009, 07:33 PM
Did you try them with the old Flygon or the new one? I would thnink that giving your Hippodons free retreat and the ability to OHKO Level X's on the bench would not be horribly synergy. Especially if you USe the Hippodon power to remove all enrgy in play then attatch Energy links to Hippodon and Flygon. Use Hippodons One erergy attack to put annother enrgy on it then on your next put a fighting on benched flygon, free retreat the hippodon then move the two energy from it to the Flygon and fire away for 150 (at a level X) while your opponent only has one energy in play.

You know JandPDS, I probably didn't give Flygon/Hippowdon enough of a chance. :lol: I seem to recall having to work harder that expected to get some energies in the discard pile and not being able to recharge heavily enough to really take advantage of the one Sand Reset. Plus, the Flygon really benefits from having a bench of evolved pokemon. You're probably right though, in a good players hands (not mine :confused: :lol:) flygon/Hippowdon might work smoothly and effectively.

Looks like a good deck, I think this deck is very good. Super mean, sand reset then drop a togekiss

Thank you Gashmoigidy. I'm pretty much a noob, so this is a good way for me to learn...proposing decks and having them torn apart! Nice to hear some positive stuff though. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve this deck?

looks good soo far
but
6/10

Hmmm...What would make a Hippowdon Deck better, machampX? Suggestions?

Who knows whether Kingdra will be around at that time. but having weakness to a Pokemon that is happy on a single energy isn't very good.

Yep mozartrules...this deck is ABSOLUTELY Kingdra fodder! :nonono: :lol:

Any suggestions on that front?

machampX
01/28/2009, 07:45 PM
kingdra is dead at the moment

Catbus
01/28/2009, 07:47 PM
kingdra is dead at the moment

Long live the Kingdra...

Seriously though, what killed it?

machampX
01/28/2009, 07:52 PM
every new deck being made right now with new set

Dogai
01/28/2009, 10:04 PM
You could try Rhyperior Lv X as a secondary attacker. He could do well after Sand Reset.

slayer_chaos
01/28/2009, 10:12 PM
Kingdra isn't dead, it'll continue to be Tier 1 until it gets rotated.

I'd run a 4-3-1 line of Hippowdon with 1 Azelf. Drop a Togepi and Togetic. Add an Uxie. And then hope your opponent isn't playing Kingdra because this deck gets crushed by it.

Napoleon
01/28/2009, 11:18 PM
You might want to try Bubble Coat!

Catbus
01/28/2009, 11:40 PM
You could try Rhyperior Lv X as a secondary attacker. He could do well after Sand Reset.

Yeah, or I was wondering about Armaldo...would require > 60 to do any damage, and Armaldo isn't weak to water so Kingdra would have a hard time with it, right?

Kingdra isn't dead, it'll continue to be Tier 1 until it gets rotated.

I'd run a 4-3-1 line of Hippowdon with 1 Azelf. Drop a Togepi and Togetic. Add an Uxie. And then hope your opponent isn't playing Kingdra because this deck gets crushed by it.

Yeah, it's a tough sell in a land full of Kingdra decks I suppose. Then again...the Armaldo option...

You might want to try Bubble Coat!

Interesting...although it's kind of like plugging a leaking **** with your finger, isn't it? :lol:

slayer_chaos
01/29/2009, 01:29 PM
The thing is, it's a really good deck. It's better than Blissey by a lot. If someone can find the answer to Kingdra or find a way to turn the matches into not auto-losses this deck will contend for BDIF.

stevo0236
01/29/2009, 09:30 PM
i would replace one hippowdon x for a regular one because you cna only use his power once per game and hes your main attacker

Red Haired Shanks
02/05/2009, 10:16 PM

Not unless I cancel the power of Togekiss.

Bunches of decks will power cancel.

Bippa201
02/05/2009, 10:21 PM
I absolutely love the deck, I find it funny that you are trying to fit Flygon into everything :lol:

However, cards like Glaceon and Ampharos will be played a lot.

@Red Haired Shanks: What power cancel card are you using?

Red Haired Shanks
02/05/2009, 10:26 PM
I absolutely love the deck, I find it funny that you are trying to fit Flygon into everything :lol:

However, cards like Glaceon and Ampharos will be played a lot.

@Red Haired Shanks: What power cancel card are you using?

The most popular Power Cancel in the format in Platinum.

what do you think? :lol:

Bippa201
02/05/2009, 10:27 PM
Ampharos, am i right?

Red Haired Shanks
02/05/2009, 10:30 PM
Ampharos, am i right?

Power Spray! Hippowdon kills Ampharos if you can go fast with Hippowdon.

Power Spray with SP is what I have been talking about.

Dennis Hawk
02/06/2009, 05:15 AM
Power Spray kills this deck pretty effectively.

After all, you can only attempt to use Hippowdon's power once during the game. If at that time, your opponent Power Sprays you, the power is gone. Same with Togekiss, although at lesser extend.

That's why I would put in some Looker's Investigations. It gives you a change to see when to/not to use the Sand Eject.