View RSS Feed

DjJoe's Rants

Properly Playing Magneboar for Nats

Rate this Entry
Today's rant is less of a rant and more of a guide. That's right, I've not only perfected the fabled Best-Deck-In-Format (BDIF) but I am willing to share my knowledge with everyone else. That's right, today you're all going to learn what to do with "Magneboar".

Magneboar is a deck type that has it's consistency through the use of the following cards:

Tepig
Pignite
Emboar
Magnemite
Magneton
Magnezone
Cleffa
Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND
Reshiram

Ok that should get us past any people who just were browsing by looking at small previews of the blog.

Truth is, I'm doing the opposite of what I started out with. Yes, you all got played. I lied. By now you're majorly disappointed, and here's why based on what you probably were expecting to do after reading such a blog, had it been a Magneboar guide-

1) Tried to prove me wrong
2) Compare decklists
3) Shoot down techs I may have used
4) Laughed
5) Taken a Magneboar deck to a tournament

But let's face it- if you're in this blog it was because of "Magneboar", "Nats", and "Properly Playing"; in that order because I can basically guess that's people's order of importance.

Lets dissect that.

"Magneboar"

By now everyone knows what Magneboar is. It is the fabled BDIF, and everyone wants to play it. It has proven to be the most consistent and powerful of buildable decks presently in the format. It has it's weaknesses, but ultimately it can bounce back and take the game with it's speed and consistency. It's this deck that Magnezone Prime has jumped from being a $6 card to a $40, why Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND jumped from being merely $10 to $60+ for a set, and why Emboar jumped out of the gates at $10 and is slowly rising towards the 20's.

So let me ask the general population here- What did Rotation REALLY accomplish?

Before Rotation we were afraid of Gyarados (Those of us that watched Battleroad reports), Sableye decks, and ___Chomp. We were afraid of a format filled of donking and everyone running the same deck.

To me, we're ALL fools. To think we all thought an early rotation would bring such a change and diversity to the game. Let me re-write the above statement.

After Rotation, we'll be afraid of Zekrom Donk, Emboar Decks, and Reshi____.

Alls we did was exchange cards. We didn't do much at all!

There might be good matches, decent skill, but let's face it- Unless a deck runs one of 7 cards (Emboar, Reshiram, Zekrom, Donphan Prime, Machamp Prime, Magnezone Prime, RDL) it will most likely not compete. Everything else is just tech at this point, most decks will run one of those as it's focus.

"Nats"

Everyone's big concern is Nationals. It's one of the first true tests of the format. I don't really need to go into this, but this is what has everyone on edge and the main reason why a Magneboar variant is so highly sought after- People want to play to win, and people have playtested Magneboar extensively and it has proven itself.

"Properly Playing"

I added that to the title to grab the attention of stuck individuals, or those who don't want to waste effort in their own testing. It's those people who repeatedly mock other decks and stay on the winning paths rather than trying new things. Winning isn't everything, and I consider "Properly Playing" a synonym to "Having fun".

That is all.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

All I'll say is that in the past, when it has seemed like nobody could pull a creative deck out of thin air and be successful with it, someone has done it. It is never easy and it takes a heck of a player to perform well with it, but I have my feelings that some deck will surprise a lot of people this year at Nationals or Worlds. It may be from a Japanese player, who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    All I'll say is that in the past, when it has seemed like nobody could pull a creative deck out of thin air and be successful with it, someone has done it. It is never easy and it takes a heck of a player to perform well with it, but I have my feelings that some deck will surprise a lot of people this year at Nationals or Worlds. It may be from a Japanese player, who knows?
    Of course. My blog is mainly short term perspective though; the immediate after-effects of the rotation, which mimic that of pre-rotation feelings.