View RSS Feed

DjJoe's Rants

The New EX Cards

Rate this Entry
Let me start by spoiling (Let's face it, most of you know by now anyway) the new EX card:

Mewtwo-EX
Basic
170HP
Psychic Type

{CC} X-Ball~ 20x
This attack does 20 damage for each Energy attached to each Active Pokemon.

{PPC}Psycho Drive ~ 120
Discard an Energy Card attached to this pokemon.

*When Pokemon EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards
{Sorry, Blogs won't let more than 4 images, so I can't post fancy energy costs}

Let me dissect this card in the same way everyone else has: Without ANY knowledge of what else is in the set, other EX cards, or anything useful. That's right, I'm going to judge this based solely on the current Modified Format (HGSS-BW) and the release of Pokemon Catcher (Because, you know, that'll ruin the game despite the 600+ other cards in the format).

1) Name: Mewtwo-EX. What do I have to say? It's Mewtwo. SWEET!!

2) HP: 170. Wait what? on a Basic? 170? Well folks it seems like the untouchable 130 is a thing of 2 months ago. A 2-part card (Legends, for those who can't grasp the hint) with anywhere close to that is a thing of the past. The only contender in this category is still, and always will be (hopefully) Wailord, but that's a Stage 1 anyway. A 170 Basic. Talk about Walls much...

3) Type: Psychic. Finally. A Psychic, Non-Gengar pokemon. Well it's kinda Mew-ish, but we'll manage. Can Psychic decks be on the rise? Hopefully.

4) X-Ball: Ok let's look at something- the cost. Anyone that read other information with this card knows Double Colorless Energy is being reprinted, and otherwise we're all getting them from our local Leagues (You are attending and supporting your local league, aren't you?) as well. Now it does 20x EACH ENERGY. That means, on a clear field, he's doing 40. Minimum. That means drop him first turn and he's donking any Baby. He's now 1 Pluspower away from Donking Yanma. They really don't want a bad Donkfest, yet they do this? Whatever. Anyway, Mewtwo-EX put's everyone's Favorite Outraging Dragons to Shame. He does 40 right off the bat. Against an opposing Outrage, he's doing 80. With 170 HP behind it, Mewtwo-EX can survive a full-powered Outrage and still have 30HP to smack around with.

5) Psycho Drive: Well, a 120 attack that discards one energy. Puts Reshiram out of commission to say the least, but since we've been spoonfed simple, easy to accomplish damage attacks like this, it's not much up for thought. Either use it, or don't. But more on that with...

6) EX: Ok, so EX gives your opponent two prize cards. Big. Deal. The thing is, at 170 HP, he's taking at least two turns to take down. At Least. Unless we get some beefcake Psychic to take advantage of the weakness of course. Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND do that nicely, but I just think that Mewtwo-EX and undiscovered Tech will make RDL next-to-impossible to setup properly (With Pokemon Catcher maknig sure Emboars are never online, and making sure Mewtwo deals two straight turns of 80 (weakness goes both ways) which can knock out RDL evenly. While 2 Prizes per EX seems detrimental, you have to look at it in terms of balance- can Mewtwo-EX trade prizes by the time it's knocked out? Yes, Mewtwo-EX can easily take two prizes and possible a third.

I see a pokemon with three glaring facts: High HP, High Attacks, Basic. You can throw together a deck with just Mewtwo-EX and some support Tech and be ok....if Mewtwo-EX came out tomorrow. Until we get more of the set beyond Mewtwo-EX, Battle City Stadium, and Double Colorless Energy, it is IMPOSSIBLE to glare and goat at a card as is. For all we know, Mewtwo-EX can be the weakest and lowest-HP of all the EX we will eventually have at our disposal!

Updated 08/10/2011 at 11:30 AM by djjoe227

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think needing to get 2 psychic on mewtwo quickly is going to be the main issue. Yanmega won't need any energy, Reshiram has Emboar/Typhlosion to help power it up quickly. Zekrom has Pachirisu/Shaymin. Mewtwo will get KO'd sooner than later and the real test will be how fast can a deck power up another mewtwo with PPC.

My only thought is a combination of Jirachi UL and Shaymin UL to bring back the energy and move them. (hope I got the set names right)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    I think needing to get 2 psychic on mewtwo quickly is going to be the main issue. Yanmega won't need any energy, Reshiram has Emboar/Typhlosion to help power it up quickly. Zekrom has Pachirisu/Shaymin. Mewtwo will get KO'd sooner than later and the real test will be how fast can a deck power up another mewtwo with PPC.

My only thought is a combination of Jirachi UL and Shaymin UL to bring back the energy and move them. (hope I got the set names right)
    The thing about Mewtwo-EX is that like every other pokemon, it doesn't NEED to start in the active slot. A deck can easily maneuver around the same basic strategy we're seeing now- have Yanmega active while benched Pokemon get the energy and come out for midgame sweeps. Basically, while Magnezone and Donphan Primes get their energy set-up, Mewtwo-EX can have the same set-up.

Only difference here, is that you figure out turn order and the bad-timed Pokemon Catcher to get this:

1) Play Mewtwo-EX to bench, attach Psychic Energy
    2) Opponent plays Pokemon Catcher. Mewtwo-EX is now active
    3) Second Psychic Energy, which enables use of X-Ball.
    4) Opponent NEEDS to knockout Mewtwo-EX now.

And while Pokemon Catcher would be the optimal upsetter, it works both ways. While the Mewtwo-EX player has to deal with the active mewtwo-EX now, the opponent can be catchered into something that can't retreat easily (Emboar) or something stong that Mewtwo-EX can knock out with a 40 damage X-Ball (Like a basic that was waiting on Rarecandy)

Until we get more cards, I can't be certain 100%, but right now I would say Mewtwo-EX will be a 1-2 card tech in many decks running DCE or acceleration because of X-Ball.