View RSS Feed

DjJoe's Rants

Samurott/Yanmega

Rate this Entry
Here's my thoughts. Looking at all of the current decks, I realized they all shared two particular strategies.

First, there's Set-up Blowout. This deck has the tendency to rely on Cleffa/Manaphy for consistent hand-refresh, and to set-up the bench in increasing intensity throughout the following turns. Decks such as Magneboar, Reshi-something, Feraligatr, and other decks with "Engines" fall into this category. They usually sit on letting the opponent take 2-3 prizes over several turns, and then turn the game around and take 4-6 in under 3 turns. I think these decks have a tendency to draw dead, prone to sniping, and other downfalls.

Second, there's Offensive Wall. This deck is what I'd like to focus on. For this deck, there's usually a main attacker tanking the active position, dishing out decent damage, while the benched pokemon grab Energy and hold the opponent down when the active is knocked out. These decks are like Donphan/Machamp, where Donphan is active knocking out actives and has Machamp follow up; Magnezone/Yanmega, where Yanmega is active getting knockouts and sniping and has Magnezone to follow-up; and finally Yanmega/Kingdra, where Yanmega is active while Kingdra snipes from the bench, with a Jirachi tech, and then either is sent active for the finisher.

I believe, that after looking through our current cardpool and what is coming out, the best card to run is Samurott (#32).

Here's my skeleton list of what I'd like to accomplish:

4 Oshawott
3 Dewott
4 Samurott (#32)
3 Yanma
3 Yanmega Prime
2 Manaphy
1 Cubchoo (EP28)
1 Beartic (EP30)
Total: 21

3 Pokemon Collector
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
1 Professor Juniper
3 Judge/Copycat
1 Interviewer's Questions
1 Professor Elm's Training Method
4 Pokemon Catcher
1 Switch
3 Rare Candy
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Junk Arm
Total: 24

4 Double Colorless Energy
10 Water Energy
Total: 14

Firstly, this deck is supposed to stop most of the major decks in the format. It's supposed to stop Donphan and Fire decks through Samurott, and Beartic tech will stop heavy hitters like Magnezone, Machamp, or the Dragons.

Secondly, this follows the form mentioned in my opening- It's going to have Yanmega and Manaphy out front, setting up while taking an offensive, while the bench builds up with Samurotts. Manaphy seems reasonable, since it is free retreat, has a 60HP body, and can deal SOME damage if necessary. On Samurott, The Hydro Pump attack is massive- 70 for only 3 energy, should he need a quick appearence (Pokemon Catcher) or can build up to deal up to 170 (assuming I load one up with EVERY water energy in the deck). I used generic systems to set-up the rest, such as Trainers, Supporters, and Energy. Double Colorless Energy is to fuel a quick Hydropump, or to help along Beartic.

Lastly, the deck had some minor changes that I have yet to try. the first is the possible Donphan over Yanmega. I'd rather have Yanmega due to the less energy commitment, and spread damage is troublesome, even if Samurott can later handle it. I also thought about a 1-of Max Potion over Switch, but decided until the Pokemon Catcher hype dies down, 1 Switch and Junk Arms were entirely necessary.

Updated 08/17/2011 at 06:52 AM by djjoe227

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'd run a single of the theme deck Sammurott Its really awesome in Sniping Baby's, as well as capitalizing on yanmega's snipe.

Other than that, Great article! I can see adding a thicker beartic line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genguy
    I'd run a single of the theme deck Sammurott Its really awesome in Sniping Baby's, as well as capitalizing on yanmega's snipe.

Other than that, Great article! I can see adding a thicker beartic line.
    I think that the hype will get to people and that Babies will not be run in full swing as they are now. I'll switch in a regular Samurott, but not change it in the blog for now.