View RSS Feed

DjJoe's Rants

Changing The Game

Rate this Entry
When I think of Poke-powers, poke-bodies, or abilities, I don't think they should be extensions of the pokemon first and the game second.

Here's what I mean.

Take Latios, from the HS Promos. It's Body reads "If you have Latias in play, the retreat cost for Latios is 0."

When you read or apply this body, it directly changes the card, and not the game. They could have printed Latios and given it 0 retreat cost (It floats anyway) and the game wouldn't be all to different.

Let's look at a Poke-power in this relationship.

Take Lanturn Prime, from HS Unleashed. It's Power reads "Once during your turn (Before your attack), you may use this power. Lanturn's type is until the end of your turn. This power can't be used if Lanturn is affected by a special condition."

When you read or apply this power, much like Latios Body, it directly changes the card, not the game. While yes, it gives your deck an edge over a Fire deck, against a Steel type deck, you won't see too many differences in the game...As a quick example.

When I see the terms "Pokebody", "Pokepower", or "Ability", I don't want them to do minor effects that change cards. To me that puts them on the same level as an attack, A Retreat Cost, An HP count, A Resistance, or a Weakness.

Let's skip around for a bit, I see a card like Sableeye SF and I see a Pokebody that truly expresses a change in the game. Forget about the card's domination in a format. Forget about it's price, or how everyone "Needed" them. Focus on what it did- it changed the game. Not just on a playable level, it changed it on a Functional level. It's what makes some cards fun to play and others just plain boring. This is a card that changes the game first, and the pokemon second.

Now when I say I want to "Change the game", I mean I want to step outside of the normal boundaries already set-up by the game's basic set of rules without getting too insane or confusing. Normal Boundaries include limitations on what you can play, how you play them, or when you play them.

Regigigas
BASIC

Ability- Slow Start: If this pokemon is your active pokemon at the start of the game, your opponent goes first.
I'm not trying to create cards, just abilities. These change the game. It gives you a new dynamic to look at, and new ways to play the game. Now, since that is only half a card, the other half can balance out the downside of going second. Let's add an attack that gives this card usefulness:

Rude Awakening- 10x- Rude Awakening deals 10 damage times the number of damage counters on this pokemon. If this pokemon was not damaged by an attack during your opponent's last turn, this attack does nothing.
Am I making it broken? Maybe. Give it a reasonable HP, Retreat cost, and Weakness/Resistance and you might say so.

Here are some other abilities, not specific to a pokemon, that I'd like to see, at least in essence:

Ability- Once during your turn (Before you attack), you may put a Stage 1 or Stage 2 pokemon from your hand onto a pokemon that pokemon evolves from. This counts as evolving that pokemon. Between Turns, return that Pokemon and all cards attached to it to your hand.
Ability- As long as this pokemon is on your bench, a player may not be declared the winner for having no prize cards remaining.
Ability-Each player may play only one Trainer-Item during his or her turn. Trainer-Item cards may be played from their owner's discard piles.
Ability- Each player may take cards they own in the Lost Zone instead of drawing cards from their decks.
Ability- Benched Pokemon cannot be knocked out.
Ability- Each player may play an additional energy card during his or her turn.
Ability- Basic Pokemon Cannot Attack Basic Pokemon
Ability- Each active Stage 2 Pokemon has no Weakness if the another active Pokemon is Basic.

These effects change the rules of the game themselves.....except maybe that last one, but I liked it so I added it. They step outside the normal boundaries of the game, and directly change or alter a rule you can find in the rule book.

Updated 09/27/2011 at 07:32 AM by djjoe227

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My only concern is that, much like stadiums, players would avoid using cards that affect them and their opponent as it would either hinder themselves or help their opponent.

Also, the one about the game not being over after 6 prizes being taken is a little extreme, even if it was just an example.

I don't see a lot of difference between an ability like Meganium EX, which allows the controller of it to lay an extra Grass energy onto their pokemon each turn and your ability that says each player can play an extra energy each turn.

I think what you're looking for sounds a lot like stadiums, really. Maybe because there isn't a strong stadium base in the game currently, which can be said for many times during the game's life, you're filling that gap with these stadium-ish abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    My only concern is that, much like stadiums, players would avoid using cards that affect them and their opponent as it would either hinder themselves or help their opponent.

Also, the one about the game not being over after 6 prizes being taken is a little extreme, even if it was just an example.

I don't see a lot of difference between an ability like Meganium EX, which allows the controller of it to lay an extra Grass energy onto their pokemon each turn and your ability that says each player can play an extra energy each turn.

I think what you're looking for sounds a lot like stadiums, really. Maybe because there isn't a strong stadium base in the game currently, which can be said for many times during the game's life, you're filling that gap with these stadium-ish abilities.
    Perhaps, but even so, I feel these are a necessity to keep the game fresh and fun. Right now, I feel as though the game has become this "This is my field, this is what I'm doing" mentality that barely interacts with the functions of the game. Currently, our Pokepowers and Pokebodies are often strictly situational or a one-time effect. Multiple instances make some combos, but without them the cards are quite stale.

Laying down extra energies may be a repeat, but it breaks the fundamental rule of one energy per turn. It adds that element that changes a basic game into a more interactive environment, and opens up possibilities.

To give an example of what I mean, look at our Emboar with the Ability from Black & White. Inferno Fandango is nothing "new", it's almost a mirror of Rain Dance on Feraligatr Prime. But yet, the first thing we see is that it breaks that one energy per turn rule, and secondly it restricts it to type. So now when you're building and playing the deck, you have to think outside that box- is the Ability useful? Will it really get me an advantage? What can I put Fire Energies on? How do I maximize it's potential?

It's a completely different mindset than it's non-ability counterpart, which has the old stale mindset of "Put Energy on it. Attack. Repeat".

I used Latios as an example originally because it's Pokebody is quite stale- while a 0 retreat cost is nice, It only means that energy you previously dedicated to Latios is staying there and can retreat to the bench. It doesn't do much else without having to try and make it work, such as Retreating and playing Seeker to get the Energy back, which is a basic combo to begin with.