View RSS Feed

DjJoe's Rants

Bigger Sets, Bigger Fun

Rate this Entry
I finally got my 4th Thundurus Fullart last night. 2 more Tornadus Fullart, and I'll have completed my playsets collections of special cards.

I have 2 sets of each LEGEND (1 top, 1 bottom), 4 of each Prime, 4 Pikachu, and 4 of each Full art card (just need 2 Tornadus)

When I looked at the HGSS sets, I noticed that each set had a considerable amount of collector's value- each had 6 Primes and 2 LEGENDs per set (Unleashed had 3 LEGENDs). When it comes down to it, getting a playset of each (For the record, you can only play 4 halves of a particular legend, such that you 0-4,1-3, or 2-2 in a deck to 'play', I just go with 2-2 to make it fancy looking) meant getting 30 cards per set released. That's a lot of cards. In Unleashed, it was 34.

That took a while, considering all of the trading and pack-opening I did.

Now I look at the Black&White expansions, and I'm utterly depressed. The first set had 12 collectable cards, and the Emerging Powers set has only 8. In roughly 6 months, I only had to collect 20 cards (I'll admit, even though I need only 2 more cards, I can get them easily just havent had the time to commit to it).

See, I'm one of the few people who collect for the sake of collecting for fun. I not only collect Primes, LEGENDs, and other secret rares of course- I am currently working on completing Reverse Holo sets for each set beginning with HeartGoldSoulSilver.

Of course I always take older cards, mainly the EX and LVX cards, as long as I am giving minimal for them in trade. The same holds true for SH cards, and Arceus cards.

I think the main issue here is that the sets are pitiful in length. The upcoming Noble Victories expansion has 101 cards, not including the Secret Rare Meowth (Are we even getting it?). But the Emerging Powers had only 98 cards, while Black & White had 114. Each of the HS series sets had between 90 and 100 cards, with HGSS have a whopping 123 cards. Not to forget that 3 in the last 7 sets had basic Energy as well, of course.

Maybe it's because we are following Japan, but I would much rather have a set include say....140 cards. That sounds reasonable. 140 cards, and something flashy in it too. They should've kept with the Primes theme.

After all, it's not much of a trading card game if there's not much to Trade, right?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Japan's sets are larger, if you count up both halves, but TPCi moves stuff out, like the full-art Trio that should have been in this set but we'll likely get next set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    Japan's sets are larger, if you count up both halves, but TPCi moves stuff out, like the full-art Trio that should have been in this set but we'll likely get next set.
    From a consumer/customer point of view, I would like to think that there should be more card variety in a TCG booster pack.

Let's look at it mathematically:

In Emerging Powers, there are 2 cards with Collectible value: Thundurus Full Art, and Tornadus Full Art.

To get a playset of 4 cards each, a high-end lucky customer would buy, minimally, 8 packs.

Compare that to HS Triumphant- There are 6 collectible Primes, 2 collectible LEGENDS, and 1 Alph Lithograph.

To get a playset of each Prime, 24 packs minimum. For 2 full LEGENDS (Which, again, 2-2 would constitute as a playset due to deckbuilding restrictions), 8 packs would be necessary. And then of course 4 more for the Alph Lithograph. In total, you'd need, minimally, 36 packs. That's an entire box of garaunteed foils for collectibles.

We went from needing 36 pack purchases down to 8- that's less than a third necessity!
    And then you have to look at Pokemon's core advertising demographic: Juniors and Seniors. Like it or not, the game is marketed as a kid's game. As well it should be IMO.

I believe these last two sets have been the best in a LONG time for kids to collect and buy. Kids that have limited resources. Allowances, not having a job, relying on parents, relatives, and friends to build up a collection.

By reducing the number of Chase cards and making them identical to other cards in the set, you create a set that makes it easier than ever for kids to get involved both competitively and casually. It allows for more players to get involved in the game easier.

I'm not saying that chase cards shouldn't exist. They obviously should. The competitive-with-money and collector crowd shell out for them, regardless of what they are. However, if you want to grant more players the opportunity to play the game even semi-competitively, you can't really do much better than what Pokemon has done with these last two sets with respect to rarity distribution.

Now, don't get me started on playability...
    Quote Originally Posted by bullados
    And then you have to look at Pokemon's core advertising demographic: Juniors and Seniors. Like it or not, the game is marketed as a kid's game. As well it should be IMO.

I believe these last two sets have been the best in a LONG time for kids to collect and buy. Kids that have limited resources. Allowances, not having a job, relying on parents, relatives, and friends to build up a collection.

By reducing the number of Chase cards and making them identical to other cards in the set, you create a set that makes it easier than ever for kids to get involved both competitively and casually. It allows for more players to get involved in the game easier.

I'm not saying that chase cards shouldn't exist. They obviously should. The competitive-with-money and collector crowd shell out for them, regardless of what they are. However, if you want to grant more players the opportunity to play the game even semi-competitively, you can't really do much better than what Pokemon has done with these last two sets with respect to rarity distribution.

Now, don't get me started on playability...
    Of course, but I don't mean that the sets should be larger at children's expense, but to include more cards to collect.

If they had printed non-prime looking versions of cards alongside the Primes in the HS series, I'd be satisfied just the same.

It's not a playability issue, but a collection issue- I HATE running out of collectible material. The HS primes and LEGENDs took me a full year to get playsets of (And I only say playsets because 4 cards conveniently match the 4-card pages of mini binders) while I am only 1 card shy of the Fullarts in just over a month of release for Emerging Powers. I have other things to collect, such as reverse foils and playsets of valuable cards (I only need 1 more Beartic, 2 more Gothitelle, 1 more Pachirisu) but it's just not as flashy and I feel like it's worth less to my time and accomplishments.