View RSS Feed

DjJoe's Rants

The Premier Experience

Rate this Entry
This past Sunday, 10/02/2011, was the Battle Roads on Long Island, NY.

For those who aren't familiar with the little island I call home, let me lead you through a brief description in terms of Pokemon. We are located east of New York and New Jersey, and the area I come from is further east from Manhattan and New York City. To my knowledge, we have four leagues on Long Island, let me list them here:

Grasshopper Comics, Saturday
The Game Table, Thursday
Blu Planet, Friday
FNC 3.0 -The Arena, Saturday

These are the ones I've been to, to say the least. There may be others, and I apologize for those I've discluded.

My local League and shop is FNC 3.0 The Arena. It's a long name, I know, but let me explain- "FNC" stands for "Friendly Neighborhood Comicshop". Originally dealing minimally with any cards, this was a quaint little comicshop owned by a pair of cousins. Eventually, the store evolved to hold both Comics and Magic:The Gathering. They changed locations, and during their time at the second location the Magic population grew and comics diminished. Pokemon started here as well, and new ownership took place. A new location is now in full swing, hence the "3.0", and the comics are a very minor portion to the business. "The Arena" comes from the focus towards gameplay- Magic the Gathering and Video game tournaments flood the weeknights and afternoon, while Pokemon League take place Saturday and Pokemon Tournament on Sundays.

Yesterday, we had 36 attendants for the Fall Battle Road. That's incredible!

I had the privelege of judging such an event. While I do not hold a Professor's status, I did meet the age and responsibility requirements. I am a regular of the store, actively participating in the League on Saturdays as a League Leader, and organizing as much as possible during the weekends.

When we held the Battle Road in the Spring, I joined with an Arceus build. I went 3-2, and had a lot of fun. It was an experience, but being able to walk around and view matches going on as a third person, and not tempted or pressured by the confines of a game, was quite the experience.

First, let me quote Frankie Durso, the user deckmaster here on Pokegym. Now while I don't know the exact quote, here is the jist of it:

"It is amazing how a true battle seems to have been set up. Reshiram vs. Zekrom, who would've thought?"

The bulk of the participants had decks that focused around either Zekrom or Reshiram. In fact, among our top decks were Reshiplosion decks, a ZPST decks, and Megazone decks.

The one thing that really stood out was the low amount of donking. The only real reported one was during round one, where the first turn player had to play Pokemon Collector. Ironically, the donked player took 4th place overall, so if you're worried about being donked in a major event, it's really not all too hurtful. There were two other reported "Quick Wins" (Over before 3 minutes), but there was only one "Donk" that I noted. While there were many decks to go around, the overall feeling is this- if you really want to get a feeling for this game, you should watch others enjoy it!

Congrats to our Fall Battle Roads Winners:
(Taken from our Facebook Group- See "Long Island Pokemon Group" for further details, names, and discussion!)

Battle Road Autumn 2011 winners
*** Juniors ***
1st - Brendan Z.
2nd - Devon R.
3rd - Ian B.
4th - Frank L. (Jr)

*** Seniors ***
1st - John P.
2nd - Aaron Z.
3rd - Brian B.
4th - Bryan S.

*** Masters ***
1st - Sam C.
2nd - Frankie D.
3rd - Josef B.
4th - Frank L. (Sr)

Congrats to all our Winners.

(For permission and other respectful reasons, I have not included Decklists nor Decktypes of the above players)

Updated 10/05/2011 at 10:37 AM by djjoe227

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

can you please remove the last names of the juniors and seniors, replacing them with last initials? we don't allow full names of minors in tourney reports, i don't see why blog entries would be different. thanks for understanding :)
    Quote Originally Posted by SD PokéMom
    can you please remove the last names of the juniors and seniors, replacing them with last initials? we don't allow full names of minors in tourney reports, i don't see why blog entries would be different. thanks for understanding :)
    Of course, not a problem. I initial'd the last names of the Masters as well, to reduce confusion.

I had copied and pasted the information as given on our Long Island Pokemon Group/Page as it appears on Facebook.