View RSS Feed

DjJoe's Rants

Why I'm Leaving, Part 5

Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average.
Part 5- ME TOO

This isn't a rant.

I'm actually going to touch on one thing I liked about all of the players of Pokemon. Chances are, if you play Pokemon, you do something else too.

I've seen players play, but not limited to, at least one of the following:

-Pokemon VG
-Yugioh
-Magic The Gathering (multiple formats)
-VS System
-Reddekai
-Ascension
-World of Warcraft TCG
-Heroclix
-D&D
-Fighting Video Games (MvC, SF, MK)

And it's wonderful. I mean it, it's nice to know that even though you sit down to play Pokemon, you have other things to talk about. If you're trying to learn a game, it's also easier when you have something to relate to.

Before Pokemon, most of the games listed I have played but never had a strong connection to Pokemon. Most of the people that played those games made it rarely known they even had cards outside of using them as tokens (Seriously, I played a Magic game against an army of 1/1 Soldiers (kithkin, actually), displayed as Base-set Charmanders). Beyond that it was the usual "Oh yeah I have the old stuff somewhere!".

But every player really is a good sport about the game and it's good to know that. It's nice knowing that you can tell adults "Don't worry, we'll keep them occupied". It's nice to know that you can have a civil conversation with your opponent, or that after the game you're not necessarily jumping from your seat.

So how does this attribute to my leaving, exactly? Well while it's nice knowing all of this, and it's a pleasure meeting, playing, and speaking with the people in Pokemon, I have other interests, minor ones but interests nonetheless, and I do like to keep tabs everywhere. Pokemon is still an interest- I still collect and I do talk about the game. But sitting down to build a deck, playing every chance I get; it's just gotten...well the 5 blogs pretty much tell you all that.

Too long, didn't want to read it? You guys are awesome.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Ahh I can relate...

I play YUGIOH but collect POKEMON :)
    Playing POKEMON seems really complicated...
    Sad to see you go though :(
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrader
    Ahh I can relate...

I play YUGIOH but collect POKEMON :)
    Playing POKEMON seems really complicated...
    Sad to see you go though :(
    I can honestly safely say that Yugioh is significantly worse than Pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by djjoe227
    I can honestly safely say that Yugioh is significantly worse than Pokemon.

Just Pokemon seems more complex, tis all.
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrader
    Just Pokemon seems more complex, tis all.
    It's not, and that's only because Pokemon plays the field as is. There's rarely any trigger effects, and there are no Traps/reaction/response plays. The whole "Chain" concept of Yugioh doesn't even begin to appear in Pokemon.