View RSS Feed

Prime's Thoughts

Working to improve blogs

Rate this Entry
The Blog part of this site is my baby.

I think it's a fantastic aspect of the forum that is underutilized and underpromoted. It is one of my goals to make it so 10% of the population is taking advantage of the blog system on this site, something you don't find on many other forums.

What have I been working on?

First and foremost, I have been working on improving Blog's promotion on the Front Page. Currently, we have a 'Latest Blogs' section of the Front Page, but it has issues and I am working to fix some of the problems.

The perfect system, in my mind, showcases 5 of the latest Blog posts, but limits it to 1-2 from each poster. Gotta love PokemonTrader, but it's hard to showcase 5 Blog posts when 4/5 are from the same writer. Perhaps the underlining system is flawed in that aspect, but I think a limitation of 1 or 2 blog posts per user per latest blog posts is fair.

Second, I want to revamp the Blog homepage. Right now, I think it isn't very welcoming. It seems, at the moment, the vBulletin system is very limited. There isn't an exact page I can edit to include information and content; vBulletin literally constructs the Blog homepage from a specific script.

I did look into adding a 'Featured Blog Post', but at the moment it is buggy. I can get it to showcase only a few blog posts, but that isn't what I'd like it to do. I want it to showcase random blog posts that have been posted in the last month, changing every 6 hours. At least, that's the plan.

So, I thought, I haven't posted a blog post in a while. Why shouldn't I keep the blog people up to date with how the blog administrator is working on the system? Here's that post.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Lovely idea! I agree! My rants only go so far
    As well I think maybe if we move this up more?
    Like underneath of the COTD and poll makes it too far below what most people will look at...
    Even just under the COTD, may make a huge difference?
    I've already submitted an idea for a Front Page re-design, in which I suggested a similar placement for the Recent Blog posts. To sum it up short, daily content on the left side, weekly content on the right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    I've already submitted an idea for a Front Page re-design, in which I suggested a similar placement for the Recent Blog posts. To sum it up short, daily content on the left side, weekly content on the right.
    That is a good idea!
    I think we need a new re-design.
    I think I will hold off on rants for a while...
    Though there are so many things that drive me nuts about being a collector, but for some reason, none of them stop me