Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PokeGym TCG Search Database

PokeGym TCG Search Database

A TCG database search has been a long requested feature on the 'Gym. Now members can search for the cards they need for their deck strategies, using the new PokeGym TCG Search feature.

Introduction
    Introducing a brand new feature to PokeGym: the TCG Search database which is a new page dedicated to helping players quickly and easily select Pokemon card attributes so they can find the card they need to get the most out of their decks. This article will cover the basics of using the database to search for Pokemon cards with specific characteristics...

Pokemon Database
    The PokeGym Search Database was designed from the ground up to be a very fast and easy way to find the card you're looking for. Simply plug in one or more details about the card and the database will show you the cards that match. Now, this isn't the first tool to be able to do that, but the PokeGym TCG Search database (powered by BebesSearch.com) shows you the results of your search very quickly and makes it really easy to tweak your search without having to start all over. It also makes it simple to quickly view the image of a card to get more detail about it.

Basic Searching
    Lets say you want to see the new card from Rising Rivals that lets you pull SP Pokemon and Energy out of your discard pile. You don't know the name, but you know the Set (Rising Rivals) and the type of card (Supporter). If you give the Pokedex this info, it will quickly narrow your search to the possible cards that match (see image below). Then just click on the "Magnifying Glass" icon to see the full image of the card.

To clear your search and start over, click on the word "Clear" which appears after you've started searching.

Example 2: All cards from Rising Rivals that are resistant to Fighting types and have Free Retreat.

Example 3: All Common Basics that can cause the opponent to be Burned.

Example 4: All Pokemon with 150 or more HP. You can also click on the "HP" column header to sort from lowest to highest (and again for highest to lowest).

Advanced Searching
    Wildcards

Sometimes you may want to search for a card based on something other than the beginning of the card's name. Let's say you are looking for the card from Rising Rivals that heals SP Pokemon. You can't remember the exact name of the card, only that it ends with "Warmth", something like "Mary's Warmth". In that case, you can use the wildcard symbol, which is % (the percent symbol). For example, if you type in %Warmth, the search will find "Bertha's Warmth" (see example).

You can also use this method to find all Gym Leader Pokemon by searching for % GL. Note the space between % and GL. Without the space, any card with GL anywhere in the name would be found (such as DiGLet and GLaceon).
    Where is it?
    Use the TCG Search link in the Navigation Box on the home page or get to it via this link:

http://pokegym.net/forums/view.php?pg=tcgsearch
    Search for Pokemon, Build Decks,Print Proxies at:
    www.bebessearch.com

Blog Entries
    Images
    Team Compendium would like to thank Brian and bbsearch.com for working so hard to customize this feature for the Gym members and make it available on our site.

For those who have a question, or find a data error, this thread will remain linked from the TCG Search in order to let you the members provide Brian (bbsearch) your feedback.
    How to: Get a Player ID Online, Set up your Battle Box
    Member, Team Compendium

Blog Entries
    Images
    very nice! what a great addition to the site...:D

'mom
    SD area players: join the Play! Pokemon San Diego facebook group for local event info!
    League Leader, San Diego Games and Comics / PTO, San Diego CA
    My eyes being hindered by blind passions, I cannot perceive the light that grasps me;
    Yet the great compassion, without tiring, Illumines me always.
    Namuamidabutsu...

Wow. This is amazingly sleek. I won't have to boot up Lackey anymore to search cards. :O

My one gripe is that this only contains Modified format legal cards. An excellent (although work intensive) addition would be to add every card in unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absoltrainer View Post
    "Alakazam, what type of milk should I buy?" *Alakazam meditates* *Alakazam opens glowing blue eyes, bends his spoons and telapathically proclaims* "TWO PERCENT!!!!!"
    Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Varna View Post
    An excellent (although work intensive) addition would be to add every card in unlimited.
    Now that we have all the images in our gallery, thanks to Wayenegg, we're working on coding them. As soon as all that is complete, Brian can add that functionality back in (full unlimited search).
    How to: Get a Player ID Online, Set up your Battle Box
    Member, Team Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by bulbasnore View Post
    Now that we have all the images in our gallery, thanks to Wayenegg, we're working on coding them. As soon as all that is complete, Brian can add that functionality back in (full unlimited search).
    Really? Well, I don't know what to say. That's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absoltrainer View Post
    "Alakazam, what type of milk should I buy?" *Alakazam meditates* *Alakazam opens glowing blue eyes, bends his spoons and telapathically proclaims* "TWO PERCENT!!!!!"
    Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Is there a compelling reason why it only displays 15 results at a time? Also, is there any way that it could display all of the card text inline with the results? What makes Pokepedia so good from a usability perspective is that once I've entered my search, the info I need is displayed all on one page. This interface seems to introduce a whole lot of unnecessary clicking. That being said, this is an awesome tool, and I think it'll be very useful. I'm looking forward to watching it grow.

Fantastic idea, I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it!

As if I didn't spend enough time working out at the 'Gym...here's ANOTHER reason
    1st Place Ventura BR '08-'09--2nd Place Pasadena BR '09-'10
    1st Place Ventura BR (again) '09-'10--2nd Place Carpinteria Cities '09-'10
    Top 16 Nevada States '09-'10--3rd Place Southern California Regionals '09-'10
    2nd Place Pasadena BR (again) '09-'10

Images
    will we able to view EX series and older cards on this?
    /quit.

This is a great feature, thanks for the work on this. : )
    *This space still for rent!*
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    Play! Pokémon SoCal Facebook Group

This is cool. I like all of the new stuff on the 'Gym, it's refreshing.

Thanks for all the hard work!
    Place invisible text here.

Q&a

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the great comments and I'll do my best to answer all your questions!

Q: Why display only 15 rows? (Pajamas)

Well, there's no technical reason why there can't be more rows displayed. In fact, when the tool was first designed, it displayed dozens of rows. However, reading through all those rows didn’t really help locate cards any faster. But by making it easier to filter results (e.g. by "set name" or card "type" or ability - "can burn"), I could usually find the desired card(s) within the first few rows. And from a usability perspective, not having dozens of rows makes the page display and update much faster (which is always nice) and I think it makes it easier to read. After you've used the search for a few days, let me know if you still think more rows would help make the experience better for you.

Q: Can the entire text of the card be displayed? (Pajamas)

As far as being able to read everything about the card (e.g. attacks, powers, etc), I think that is best handled by viewing the actual PokeGym card image itself. So you'll notice that on the left side of the screen is a "magnifying glass" icon and when you click on it you'll see the picture of the card so you can read all the details.

Q: Can you add the ability to search the full text of the card? (several testers)

As far as searching goes, there is something to be said for being able to search through the full text on the card and it’s a feature that I've been working on and *may* be adding in the future. It comes down to quality - if the card text is there, it better be right... That said, I think the quick searches on "abilities" like "Can Burn" and "Can Poison" cover some of that same ground and are also easier for younger players to use (hence the icons) which is why I've put more effort into those than the full text so far. I'd like to continue to expand on these to include abilities like "can send to lost zone", etc. Any suggestions for useful "ability" searches would be most welcome.

Q: Will older card sets be made available? (several testers)
    Yes, that is in the works. You'll be able to search on the essential info like Set, Number, HP, Type, etc and of course be able to view the card image.

Thanks, and please keep the suggestions coming (or PM me if you'd prefer).
    bbSearch
    www.bebessearch.com

Images
    This is so cool.

Diagle G LV X is not coded SP.
    PokeDaddy - Proud Dad of TT
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Dav View Post
    I can neither confirm nor deny Liesik's reliability.
    "Are you up for the Biggie Challenge?"

Update

Fixed Dialga G Lv.X.

Thanks!
    www.bebessearch.com

I mentioned this in another thread (regarding the redone Tower, IIRC), but a way to mark if a card has errata or rulings (and an appropriate link) would be awesome. Even if the link is on the tower page itself, it would be nice to know if the card shouldn't be played as printed. I tend to use Unown G as a prime example of this, as it sees a lot of play, and more likely will continue to, but there are other cards out there that knowing relevant errata would be useful for.

I'd offer to help myself, but I've so much to do, I don't have time to get done what I'd like to as it is. =\

Sunflora SW 38 does not appear...
    hope this helps
    -Worlds 2008,2009, & 2010 Competitor -
    -Mexico Nationals 2008 Masters Division Champion-
    “SixPrizes.com – Pokemon Cards Explained by the Masters of the Game“

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Sunflora SW 38 does not appear...
    hope this helps
    Not a big problem because that card is never used. But it is still necessary.
    My name is decieving, I'm not on fire or Japanese .

Nidoqueen can be teched into anything BUT Speedrill!!

Please call me FJM, so you do not have to type the mouthful that is my username.

Fixed Sunflora

Fixed Sunflora SW. Thanks!
    www.bebessearch.com

Starmie LA is listed as having a Poke Power

Nice system!

Update

Fixed Starmie LA. Thanks!
    www.bebessearch.com

Articuno SV # 16 is placed in the "hit the bench" column while it cannot.
    Zapdos SV# 48 has this same problem.
    This is a very handy feature, Im very glad that its on pokegym.
    One thing that maybe you could add though is instead of just a hitting bench catagory, you could also do a "spread" catagory for guys that hit multiple, or all, of your opponents benched pokemon.
    Origanlly Posted by Princess Ruto
    Your Head ... It's Gigantic!!

Update

Fixed Zapdos SV and Articuno SV. Thanks for the feedback!
    www.bebessearch.com

I was looking through the pokemon tcg Search and came across muk. They have him down as being able to Heal, Poison, and has a poke body. But the actual muk is also capable of confusing
    Fresno, CA TO and LL.

your missing a Jolteon RR

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

your missing a Jolteon RR
    Last edited by Nickolas_88; 09/27/2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Eliminator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast